Why pd imposes hard tire in the sport mode.

• Thread starter Ssj4
  • 49 comments
Italy
Italy
Hi all.

why pd imposes hard tire in the race without wear or even with wear in the sport mode, the free choice of a player to choose his tires the strategies will be different and the races more fun, I hope he will unlock tire choices soon. I am talking about categories gr1. gr2. gr3 and gr4 thank you.

Among other reasons, I think it is also BoP related.
The current settings of each car, and by that I mean transmission, suspension, diff, etc. (along with power and weight), is balanced using RH tyres.

I question whether simply putting on RSS tyres would mean each car gets the same improvement using the softer compound.

Hi all.

why pd imposes hard tire in the race without wear or even with wear in the sport mode, the free choice of a player to choose his tires the strategies will be different and the races more fun, I hope he will unlock tire choices soon. I am talking about categories gr1. gr2. gr3 and gr4 thank you.

I think the hard tyre for competition is spot on. Relying on too much grip would never be a good thing.

Yes but in the real race (f1, wec or endurance) they are more often in soft tire than in hard tire. each one's free choice there will be only 1,5s in the turns between the hard tire and the soft tire. On endurance racing the choice of tires will make racing more fun on racing strategies. G-T improve this point please.

I for one would like to see some allowances given for tyre choices with the races, it's very frustrating for me to always be on
racing hard tyres for the online daily races.

My two cents is that we should have a rule for the races like in F1 race where we have to use different tyres at the pit stop, however
I guess we'll see if any changes come in a future update.

Lap times are quite realistic with RH, Gr2 at Suzuka
Any data on this? Because I had a quick test a while ago with a Gr.2 car and with Super Softs I was close to Jenson Button's recent SuperGT lap record.
Of course, I'm not the fastest driver but I got the Impression the RH's are way too slippery.

Any data on this? Because I had a quick test a while ago with a Gr.2 car and with Super Softs I was close to Jenson Button's recent SuperGT lap record.
Of course, I'm not the fastest driver but I got the Impression the RH's are way too slippery.
Honestly I believe that having slower lap times in the gane than real-life lap times is realistic. Don't get me wrong, there are amazing people here that I wholly believe can be pros if given a chance, but we're talking about lap times set by the top people. Professionals who dedicated their lives to racing since children. So for me, it's only natural that we'd be slower :)

Oh, and also to bamboozle your mind even further, Button's lap time was set with regulations that reduced the overall downforce of the cars :D

It may be that RM or something would be closer to reality, but with the SuperGT having so much downforce around such a track like suzuka the grip levels between RH to RS aren't quite as obvious as they are elsewhere.

Its a shame its the only track we have to compare with, as it's quite unique and won't translate well to other tracks.

I'm not a fan of how cars handle with softer slicks in this game. I feel like the grip levels are too sporadic and the car movements end up looking unnatural. I'm more prone to making mistakes when running soft tires since I'm never quite sure how the car will react. I haven't really been good with soft slicks since the PS2 GT games.

Loooong time lurker here.
I'd actually love it if tire choice was an added variable in race C and the FIA races.
As things are now, generally, everyone pits at the half way point. There are few off the wall strategies.
Imagine:
-Do you go softer tires at the beginning, build a gap, pit early then short-shift, lift/coast and fuel map to the end?
-Maybe take it slow in the first stint, pit late then chase down the leaders it max fuel and soft tires
-What about maximum aggression - two stopper on the softest tires? Banzai all the way?
-Now for the dailies, with so many races in the 24 hours, racers would coalesce around an ideal strategy at some point. But for the FIA? Now that would be good! Maybe PD only declares the tire choices before the races start, less time to figure out a tire/fuel strategy.

I like having one compound for realism. I can't think of a touring series that allows multiple compounds outside of wets. In Gr. 3 and Gr 4 races I believe that we should stick with the RH. Now, I would absolutely love to see longer races in the N classes that allow for multiple tire compound choices.

I'm preaching this for month now.

Give sport mode settings and tire choices back!
The game needs more depth IMO....or more tracks :P

Well, issue is in real life, track temperature and surface play a very important role on tyre choice. You don't have that in GT, or at least not to an extent where you're in a situation where the gap between two compounds change. In the game right now, even between RM and RH it's difficult to set up race parameters where RH tyres actually becomes a viable option. Even more if you try to make both options competitive, and it's like the race tyres with the lowest time gap and the highest tyre depletion gap. RS and RSS are not far enough from RM in terms of depletion compared to the lap time difference.

An alternative would be to force the use of all allowed compounds, or limit one tyre compound to one stint in the race, but strategies would still probably be very similar.

The races are no where near long enough, nor is the tire "wear rate" used (in sport) anywhere near making compound choices interesting, much less a game breaker...
Give us longer races where multiple pit stops will be a necessity... then, sure, bring in the compounds... and chassis tuning :).

Well, issue is in real life, track temperature and surface play a very important role on tyre choice. You don't have that in GT, or at least not to an extent where you're in a situation where the gap between two compounds change.

Is there any evidence for this? I've seen a lot of differing opinions about whether GTS models track temperature and surfaces, but I've never seen any real hard proof one way or the other.

Well, temperatures are definitely a factor in GTS, issue is current tyre model is too simple, like it just changes the grip multiplicator or something like that equally for all tyres, so 20°C or 40°C won't change what tyre is the more interesting. In real life, really high track temperatures may even make softer tyres compounds greasy after a couple laps because they can't stand the heat, so a harder compound may end up being faster.

It's always been my preference to go with less grippy tires overall. I find that the racing is cleaner and more enjoyable overall the harder you make the cars to drive.
Is there any evidence for this? I've seen a lot of differing opinions about whether GTS models track temperature and surfaces, but I've never seen any real hard proof one way or the other.
I'm all but convinced that GT Sport at least has the same tire temperature modeling from GT6. The only difference was that GT6 showed the driver varying shades of blue on the tire wear graphic.

Not track temperature, but the cars that show tire pressure always stay at a certain level. It's different from car to car, but never ever changes no matter what you do (even burnouts). The Porsche 911 RSR I think has a display in the cockpit that shows tire pressure

I'm not sure how track temperature and surfaces affect tire pressure, but they definitely should play a factor

Well, issue is in real life, track temperature and surface play a very important role on tyre choice. You don't have that in GT, or at least not to an extent where you're in a situation where the gap between two compounds change. In the game right now, even between RM and RH it's difficult to set up race parameters where RH tyres actually becomes a viable option. Even more if you try to make both options competitive, and it's like the race tyres with the lowest time gap and the highest tyre depletion gap. RS and RSS are not far enough from RM in terms of depletion compared to the lap time difference.

An alternative would be to force the use of all allowed compounds, or limit one tyre compound to one stint in the race, but strategies would still probably be very similar.

Temperature in the air is a factor. On the FIA race on Norbury ring GP (evening) the cars felt harder to drive, harder to turn. Possibly having something to do with tyre temp.

Back