Why pd imposes hard tire in the sport mode.

• Thread starter Ssj4
  • 49 comments
The tire wear is still unbalanced imo, allowing everyone to choose whatever they want would lead to even more one-make races.

hello to all and thank you for your messages are very different and makes it exciting if the free choice of tire was authorized and we implement it in racing on gts. Digital polyphony racing strategies and important in the way of running. a lot of drivers are very fast and maybe in strategy are less good and vice versa. I think you are very knowledgeable about this and these for years we have an unbeatable game in an auto simulation game. at the exit of the game we had the free choice of car parameters but that was quickly blocked, which I understand the difference in knowledge in general in terms of adjustment, but the choice of free tire remains correct and at the same level as fuel consumption. Thank you.

I'd like to see the option of at least one other compound in some of the longer Sport races - as mentioned could add some additional strategy options

Not allowing RS alongside RH for Gr3-1 at least in Race C is just ridiculous!

If there would be the option of different tire compound, there should be a lot greater difference in tyre wear.

I'm preaching this for month now.

Give sport mode settings and tire choices back!
The game needs more depth IMO....or more tracks :P

No. Opening settings brings two problems. First there is the accessibility - GTS want to be a racing game for the masses, and requring to have time for setups to be able to compete in daily race is not possible for most.

Secondly open setups would make it possible to use freak tunes to exploit any loopholes in game design.

hello to all and thank you for your messages are very different and makes it exciting if the free choice of tire was authorized and we implement it in racing on gts. Digital polyphony racing strategies and important in the way of running. a lot of drivers are very fast and maybe in strategy are less good and vice versa. I think you are very knowledgeable about this and these for years we have an unbeatable game in an auto simulation game. at the exit of the game we had the free choice of car parameters but that was quickly blocked, which I understand the difference in knowledge in general in terms of adjustment, but the choice of free tire remains correct and at the same level as fuel consumption. Thank you.
Like GT_Alex74 said here, the problem is the tire life vs tire grip

Hmm, let me try to explain it. Let's say, you have a sport race with RH and RM allowed. As it stands right now, RH and RM are both tires that are capable of one-stops, so using RH is nothing but a disadvantage. You can argue that RMs wear faster and can give RH users a chance at the end of each stint, but the difference in lap times (I'm using Dragon Trail as a reference by the way) between worn RHs and worn RMs is .2-3 seconds at best, with RHs being the faster tire.

Alternatively, you can have a sport race that allows RH and RS. With a big enough tire wear multiplier, you can force people to do a two-stop on RS, and RH people doing a one-stop. But let's say that Race C at Dragon Trail (Gr. 3) is 8 laps.

On average, my lap times on Dragon Trail in RH are 1:38s. On RS, it dips down to 1:34. Given that each pit stop is 11 seconds long in Dragon Trail, if I were to do a two-stop strategy with RS tires, I would lose a total of 22 seconds.

For RH users, they would lose only 11 seconds. However, if we add the total time of each race (that is, average lap times multiplied by the amount of laps plus pit stop time), we would get these results.

RH: 13:04 + 0:11 = 13:25
RS: 12:32 + 0:22 = 12:54

As you can see, despite RS having to do a two-stop strategy, the sheer speed RS tires have is too fast to be paired with RHs. As it stands right now, unless they change the grip vs life of each tire, being able to choose different compounds for each race is meaningless.

You can argue that I didn't take into account the tire wear lap times for RS vs RH, which I think is a variable that needs to be looked at. I still think that RS would win since it would be hard to justify that tire wear can decrease near-30 second gap without real testing.

Speaking of which, do you want to test it? ;)

@Haitauer

Of course softs have higher tire wear but are quicker, more comfortable and then we would get some real strategy component into races, with a lot more of joy...

My opinion.

In all my GT online experiences, it's the slower racers who struggle to drive properly that long for stickier rubber. RH has been the standard in the leagues I have run in. Give people RSS and driving standards will drop even further. This was always evident in GT5 and 6 lobbies. People would enter RH only room, bounce off every barrier then beg for RS.

Add to that the differences in speed on track, and the people on softer rubber wanting to barge past people on harder compounds which lead to even more choas. No doubt it will throw the BOP out on many cars. It will cause more and more issues.

Can you picture racing with CSA, TCS and RSS tires? Jeez, how easy do some people want it?

Please PD, never ever let people start using different tyre compounds.

Hmm, let me try to explain it. Let's say, you have a sport race with RH and RM allowed. As it stands right now, RH and RM are both tires that are capable of one-stops, so using RH is nothing but a disadvantage. You can argue that RMs wear faster and can give RH users a chance at the end of each stint, but the difference in lap times (I'm using Dragon Trail as a reference by the way) between worn RHs and worn RMs is .2-3 seconds at best, with RHs being the faster tire.

Alternatively, you can have a sport race that allows RH and RS. With a big enough tire wear multiplier, you can force people to do a two-stop on RS, and RH people doing a one-stop. But let's say that Race C at Dragon Trail (Gr. 3) is 8 laps.

On average, my lap times on Dragon Trail in RH are 1:38s. On RS, it dips down to 1:34. Given that each pit stop is 11 seconds long in Dragon Trail, if I were to do a two-stop strategy with RS tires, I would lose a total of 22 seconds.

For RH users, they would lose only 11 seconds. However, if we add the total time of each race (that is, average lap times multiplied by the amount of laps plus pit stop time), we would get these results.

As you can see, despite RS having to do a two-stop strategy, the sheer speed RS tires have is too fast to be paired with RHs. As it stands right now, unless they change the grip vs life of each tire, being able to choose different compounds for each race is meaningless.

You can argue that I didn't take into account the tire wear lap times for RS vs RH, which I think is a variable that needs to be looked at. I still think that RS would win since it would be hard to justify that tire wear can decrease near-30 second gap without real testing.

Yes you did a good analysis my friend and someone else will not have the same conclusion to the tenth loan, which I mean these races will be more interesting. hoping that digital polyphony allows the choice of tires very soon.

Yes you did a good analysis my friend and someone else will not have the same conclusion to the tenth loan, which I mean these races will be more interesting. hoping that digital polyphony allows the choice of tires very soon.
True, I am the only sample there which could skew results. :) I'd like to see more people try that experiment, although I understand that most people wouldn't bother since it's too time consuming :lol:

Having a quick read through here is see that everyone has forgotten one very important point - The penalty system.

People can't race properly now, just imagine what it would be like mixing up different tyres and grip levels?!!!!! It would be absolute chaos!

I would give it one week and everyone would be screaming to have set back to what it is now.

So the moral to the story is - if most people would learn how to drive properly in the first place and PD actually adopted a penalty system that worked THEN you could implement different tyres/tunes etc. Until then just forget about it.

My $0.02 worth ;-)

I think PD should close up the grip level differences between compounds. Bringing them all down towards RH. As it stands now its pointless using anything other than the softest available unless wear is set to 10x or something daft like that.

Having a quick read through here is see that everyone has forgotten one very important point - The penalty system.

People can't race properly now, just imagine what it would be like mixing up different tyres and grip levels?!!!!! It would be absolute chaos!

I would give it one week and everyone would be screaming to have set back to what it is now.

So the moral to the story is - if most people would learn how to drive properly in the first place and PD actually adopted a penalty system that worked THEN you could implement different tyres/tunes etc. Until then just forget about it.

My $0.02 worth ;-)
How did this not occur to my mind :dunce:

For information at the disposal of the lobby and it is surely in these lobby that have improved. the choice of the tires will never make carnage in the mode sport on the contrary there will be competitiveness in this mode because these a game of competitiveness in the absolute fairplay. for the penalty system it is very good if the person respects the rules of the track and the drivers around him the penalty system will never be against him. now these a video game there will always be a margin of error, the game evolves constantly since its release and these an excellent game. Improved digital polyphony and the choice of the tire in the sport mode would be a great evolution. thank.

Temperature in the air is a factor. On the FIA race on Norbury ring GP (evening) the cars felt harder to drive, harder to turn. Possibly having something to do with tyre temp.

I'm sorry, but I really had to point out 'Norbury ring GP'.

I'm just so, so sorry but I just couldn't help myself :cheers:

why just RH and no tune allowed in sport mode ??? I think its for advantage players who use a wheel... but its just my point of view

For information at the disposal of the lobby and it is surely in these lobby that have improved. the choice of the tires will never make carnage in the mode sport on the contrary there will be competitiveness in this mode because these a game of competitiveness in the absolute fairplay. for the penalty system it is very good if the person respects the rules of the track and the drivers around him the penalty system will never be against him. now these a video game there will always be a margin of error, the game evolves constantly since its release and these an excellent game. Improved digital polyphony and the choice of the tire in the sport mode would be a great evolution. thank.
Sadly the players you implied as respectful and fair are few and far in between :(

What's this about a new tyre model coming?

Also by now you should be used to RH for race and SS for road cars.

Good work! But while softs are clearly faster, I think the time you quoted wouldn’t be possible as you’d have to overtake traffic on the one stop strategy. (And probably crash)

The difference in time is a little too big, but if it’s was a bit closer then it could be interesting at the closing stages of the race !

Edit: I also wonder if it would be that big of a difference for lower ranks. Their lap times are so inconsistent that it’s more down to how many mistakes they made rather than what tyre they have on.

Edit edit: And what about somewhere like Interlagos that has like a 3 minute pit stop (note: I haven’t tested the exact time)

Last edited:
Good work! But while softs are clearly faster, I think the time you quoted wouldn’t be possible as you’d have to overtake traffic on the one stop strategy. (And probably crash)

The difference in time is a little too big, but if it’s was a bit closer then it could be interesting at the closing stages of the race !

Edit: I also wonder if it would be that big of a difference for lower ranks. Their lap times are so inconsistent that it’s more down to how many mistakes they made rather than what tyre they have on.

Edit edit: And what about somewhere like Interlagos that has like a 3 minute pit stop (note: I haven’t tested the exact time)
Maybe on tracks where there are not much overtaking opportunities, the times would be a bit more similar. But a decent RS driver can easily outbrake an RH driver, or set up a good exit.

Although, like my previous post, this assumes that the driver is somewhat consistent and knows the floe of battle. So yeah in the lower ranks the overall times would be much more similar, although I can see why lower ranked people wouldn't want this for another reason, and that is because this would create even more chaos and crashes than they already do

The closing stages of the race might be more interesting as you said than what my hypothetical overall time suggests. I didn't take into account tire wear so this definitely needs a bit more work. But I'll still stand by my word and think that as it stands right now, RS is too fast for RH :)

Say what, let me just complete a school requirement then I'll try this experiment (albeit time trial) on both DT and 'Lagos :)

I'm not a fan of how cars handle with softer slicks in this game. I feel like the grip levels are too sporadic and the car movements end up looking unnatural. I'm more prone to making mistakes when running soft tires since I'm never quite sure how the car will react. I haven't really been good with soft slicks since the PS2 GT games.

Is this what sometimes makes the GR 2 cars look like creepy slot cars?

Just ran a couple laps at Lago/Gr.4. Felt like I qualified on RM's and then raced on CH's- total slidefest. Not much fun. Normally I'll stick it out, but I'll take the DR hit tonight.

Back