Why some cars are arbitrarily better upgraded than others

• Thread starter buttsneeze
  • 34 comments
Apart from the torque and power issues, I think the problem of 'glitched' cars is caused by the transmission. For example, you can put a V10 Viper engine in a Dart without changing the transmission in FM4. This keeps the top speed low because the stock transmission just sucks. Once you put in a Viper engine and switch to race transmission (which is more realistic) the top speed goes way up and the PI accordingly. T10 needs to look at that.. switching the engine should be coupled with a mandatory switch of the gearbox.

Funny you should say that, because even though IIRC the ratios were the same, if you change the drivetrain on an Aventador it gets a much slower shifting gearbox probably out of the RWD donor car. Of course it doesn't matter to clutch users.

A better example (in my opinion): RX-7 FD3S vs. Honda S2000. Both have the exact same BHP, but the Rex has more torgue. And, although it is heavier, it accelerates faster from 0 to 60mph, faster from 0 to 100mph and does the quarter mile faster. Yup, gotta love torgue.
Try the 2004 Ford Mustang GT and 1993 BMW E36 M3 on that page. Without any forced induction to muddy things, a clear difference in engine philosophy (320lb.ft vs 236lb.ft), and a near-idential power/weight ratio, the Mustang inches by on 0-60mph but loses everything else.

Personally, I'll always stick with power over low-end torque. But examples can go either way.

not often a Rotary is being praised for having more torque. :P
Being gutless was never a rotary thing until the RX-8 and RENESIS. The RENESIS is just another peaky high-RPM engine, that happens to be a rotary. After all, it makes almost as much power naturally-aspirated as the FD did turbocharged. Mazda's idea seemed to have been to try the Honda approach to improve the RX line's infamously terrible fuel economy.

I just want to ask, it's between C6 Z06 and F430. I notice that if it's from 0-let say 230 km/h or below for drag race, I notice that the F430 will gain the lead but above the stated speed, the Z06 will take the lead and leave the F430. Is it because the z06 has the torque more readily available in lower RPM 3000-5800 RPM compared to F430 who's torque is most available around 6000-8000RPM?

Or is it cause by F430's ( or 360's) shorter gear ratio?

Try the 2004 Ford Mustang GT and 1993 BMW E36 M3 on that page. Without any forced induction to muddy things, a clear difference in engine philosophy (320lb.ft vs 236lb.ft), and a near-idential power/weight ratio, the Mustang inches by on 0-60mph but loses everything else.

Personally, I'll always stick with power over low-end torque. But examples can go either way.
Hardly suprising, given the rather terrible gearing on the Mustang (in my opinion, at least).
Or is it cause by F430's ( or 360's) shorter gear ratio?
It might very well have to do with gearing. Once you get into the higher gears, the car will lack the torgue to get from the lower RPM range to the higher one as fast as the Corvette does. The 'Vette won't have as big of a problem with that, thanks to the amount of torgue and because it's available sooner.

Back