Why the PP events?

• Thread starter 300SRT8Fan
  • 31 comments
United States
United States
I was looking at the new Seasonals and I noticed the newest ones are just drift or online A-spec or B-spec. why doesn't GT5 put in some new stuff like the stars and stripes and real circuit tours? When are they going to come out with more stuff like that?

PD have great engineers, and some of the best modellers in the business.
That said, their game desiners are completely inept , this is reflected in gt5's short
and uninspired aspec, and (considering their potential, ie. weather, damage , time transitions , standing starts etc), mostly repetive and dull, phoned-in seasonals.
Let's hope that some of their recently hired staff members, will bring some much needed innovation to one of my favourite game series, that in gameplay terms, has become lazily stagnant.

Last edited:
To me, the best seasonals was the expert seasonals which was crazy tough and the prizes really good. I can see many (like myself) crying over its difficulty but when we nailed it, its incredible. The PP races differentiate from the previous series which duplicate A Spec that attract loud complaints as well.

One thing I hope to see is standing starts races which have transition rain mid race to spice things up. Maybe some NFS hot pursuit type races with our own cars trying to catch a few 'bandits' by damaging them while maintaining control eg. using tank car. Well I guess this is just a small part of the long wishlist.

I think the PD team have moved on to GT6 and have left the window licking AI to create the seasonal events. Lol

Maybe some NFS hot pursuit type races with our own cars trying to catch a few 'bandits' by damaging them while maintaining control eg. using tank car. Well I guess this is just a small part of the long wishlist.
I surely hope not. That is a very quick way of making a good game s***.

There is two things that would fix the issues.
a) Proper championship races (like in GT4)

b) Disable the engine detune in seasonals, so people are forced to tune up rather than detune. A group of cars tuned to a limit is more competitive than one dominate car detuned.

b) Disable the engine detune in seasonals, so people are forced to tune up rather than detune. A group of cars tuned to a limit is more competitive than one dominate car detuned.

Why would you want to restrict the way other people play their single player races?

Why would you want to restrict the way other people play their single player races?

If you read the whole thing.

I bet anyone who does all the seasonal would be able to tell you off the top of thier head what car they use for what PP, A-Spec and TT.

This will get people's creative brain flowing and start bringing in different cars other than the norm.

These PP Seasonals are getting LAME. It's always the NSX in the 500pp races, and that Ford GT at 650pp that are 20+ seconds ahead of their AI counterparts.

I have so many cars that I like to drive, yet so few races to use most of them in.

The best idea I've yet heard to keep the game fresh is an Aspec race editor where you could choose the cars, tires, laps, weather, etc, etc. It would be really cool if the game could calculate the difficulty of your created race and pay accordingly. Too many of the current A spec/seasonals have runaway cars that kill the competitiveness of the race.

I surely hope not. That is a very quick way of making a good game s***.

There is two things that would fix the issues.
a) Proper championship races (like in GT4)

I'm with you

What would really help is something like in NFS Shift 2 with their A-specs. NFS Shift 2 is much more competitive than GT5. they need to take the a-spec stuff from NFS shift 2 and put it in their seasonals

I'm not crazy about this aspec bspec pp stuff myself.
I'd much prefer the whole stars & stripes or japanese classics or kei cars or euro hot hatch things - if they just re-did them with different tracks, in aspec & bspec, I think that would be more interesting.

PD have great engineers, and some of the best modellers in the business.
That said, their game desiners are completely inept , this is reflected in gt5's short
and uninspired aspec, and (considering their potential, ie. weather, damage , time transitions , standing starts etc), mostly repetive and dull, phoned-in seasonals.
Let's hope that some of their recently hired staff members, will bring some much needed innovation to one of my favourite game series, that in gameplay terms, has become lazily stagnant.

Seriously, what game does it better? I don't understand where you're getting these high standards from. I've played every major sim on PC and ps3, and all the arcade sim stuff on xbox and ps3, and if anything GT5's a spec and seasonals are a cut above the rest, so please explain, if possible. I realize there is the possibility that you're just trolling gt5 because it didn't live up to what you dreamed it would be, there's a lot of that going around. I got a message for all of you, GET OVER IT

:lol:
There's always complaints. Can't please all the peoples all the times. ;)

Thing is, I would like to say that perhaps they focus on multi-player, the way most games do nowadays... But if that were true, there would be less network problems. :boggled:

They're not creative. Not in my opinion anyways. Their forumla for making GT hasn't changed since GT3 (the oldest GT I own, so not sure if the same as GT1/GT2).

TomBrady
Seriously, what game does it better? I don't understand where you're getting these high standards from.

Shift, Forza and even previous Gran Turismos.

I've played every major sim on PC and ps3, and all the arcade sim stuff on xbox and ps3, and if anything GT5's a spec and seasonals are a cut above the rest, so please explain, if possible.

Really? What games have you played, because I doubt you played the ones I mentioned above. Shift 2 has one of the best career modes I've seen in a racing game. Here's what it has:

- Different races for each car class
- Hot lapping events
- Drift events
- A variety of events for 90's cars and muscle.
- Time Attack (You try to get the best time while your competitors are on the track with you.)
- Manufacturer Showdown Events
- Elimination Events
- Endurance races
- Old vs New events, where you can race a car's classic and modern counterparts against each other
- Events for Works cars (cars tuned to the max and modified for racing)
- Single type race (which are like GT5's one-make option in practice)
- And last but definitely not least, FIA GT3 and GT1 Championship events.

(Plus with Autolog, you can compete against your friends for the best time in ALL of these events, sky-rocketing replay value.)

All this variety Shift 2 has and you think GT5's short A-spec (which consist of nothing but basic races and a few championships) and endless use of "Chase down the rabbit" seasonals is better? Don't make me laugh. :lol:

I realize there is the possibility that you're just trolling gt5 because it didn't live up to what you dreamed it would be, there's a lot of that going around. I got a message for all of you, GET OVER IT

PD has done a much better job on the single player in the past, and it got better after EACH GT game and now it's suddenly hit rock bottom with GT5. If PD is known to do a better job than this, then no, we will not "get over it."

Last edited:
Seriously, what game does it better? I don't understand where you're getting these high standards from. I've played every major sim on PC and ps3, and all the arcade sim stuff on xbox and ps3, and if anything GT5's a spec and seasonals are a cut above the rest, so please explain, if possible. I realize there is the possibility that you're just trolling gt5 because it didn't live up to what you dreamed it would be, there's a lot of that going around. I got a message for all of you, GET OVER IT

To clarify, I'm not talking about other games in the genre at all. Even if they all had meiocre career modes, that wouldn't give PD a free pass to make GT5's follow suit.
I'm talking about it's brevity, and the lack of thought and imagination shown by PD's game designers, in the context of all the game's features. Features that add variety and excitement like damage, tyre-wear, weather, day/night acceleration are either not used at all, or barely used throughout GT5's career mode. The content is all there in the game, if PD had spent more time designing a career mode that fully utilised it, Gt5's A-Spec would have been amazing.

Btw thanks for the message :
I'll proceed to GET OVER a VIDEOGAME now hahaha :)

Last edited:
Why the PP events? Simple- to prevent you from taking out your Red Bull X-whatever from getting easy wins. The in-game races with no restrictions are almost too liberal. You could basically bring the wrong kind of car and easily dominate. That's why I sometimes think the Seasonal events (and I blogged about this once in my GT blog) save the scope of racing in Gran Turismo 5. Otherwise, many of the races would be too easy to win with a super powerful car. Also, these events help you to utilize your garage and finally get to use some more of your cars (especially for those of you pursuing the Car Collector trophy).

That's at least why I think we have these events.

Why the PP events? Simple- to prevent you from taking out your Red Bull X-whatever from getting easy wins. The in-game races with no restrictions are almost too liberal. You could basically bring the wrong kind of car and easily dominate. That's why I sometimes think the Seasonal events (and I blogged about this once in my GT blog) save the scope of racing in Gran Turismo 5. Otherwise, many of the races would be too easy to win with a super powerful car. Also, these events help you to utilize your garage and finally get to use some more of your cars (especially for those of you pursuing the Car Collector trophy).

Reminds me somehow of the horsepower, drivetrain limited races of Gt 2.
Never understood why they left the game...

axl54
To clarify, I'm not talking about other games in the genre at all. Even if they all had meiocre career modes, that wouldn't give PD a free pass to make GT5's follow suit.
I'm talking about it's brevity, and the lack of thought and imagination shown by PD's game designers, in the context of all the game's features. Features that add variety and excitement like damage, tyre-wear, weather, day/night acceleration are either not used at all, or barely used throughout GT5's career mode. The content is all there in the game, if PD had spent more time designing a career mode that fully utilised it, Gt5's A-Spec would have been amazing.

Btw thanks for the message :
I'll proceed to GET OVER a VIDEOGAME now hahaha :)

Haters gonna hate and apperantly ur 1 of the many who got trolled because u wanted a freaking "simulator" that would make u feel happy about the game. The a-spec is just fine, and so I the b-spec. If PD had wanted a harder career mode, they would have made 1. Ps u had no influence in the making of the game!

This would be true if they also limited the tyres wich is not the case, so you can still easily dominate with the same Hp by using better tyres than AI.

Haters gonna hate and apperantly ur 1 of the many who got trolled because u wanted a freaking "simulator" that would make u feel happy about the game. The a-spec is just fine, and so I the b-spec.
That he's one of the "many" (keyword here: MANY) who got trolled means that something is wrong with PD. There should be no reason why so many people can agree that the A-spec and B-spec in GT5 is absolute garbage.

Now, if he's one of the few who got "trolled," then yes, it's their own fault for having such high expectations, given that the rest of the people like it.

Also, I don't understand what you're trying to tell us when you say that something is wrong when people want a simulator that makes them feel happy. In the past, GT1-GT4 have made people, "happy." :odd: So it only makes sense for GT5 to live up to the standards that its predecessors set.
If PD had wanted a harder career mode, they would have made 1.
PD obviously never played their own game. If they did, they'd make restrictions much tougher. It's unanimously agreed that GT5's career mode is either too easy or too hard (Historic A-Spec race, for example).
Ps u had no influence in the making of the game!
And you have no influence in making other people's mind's given your attitude here.

PD obviously never played their own game. If they did, they'd make restrictions much tougher. It's unanimously agreed that GT5's career mode is either too easy or too hard (Historic A-Spec race, for example).

Just to be fair, the GT series has always had a habit of fluctuating wildly between mind-numbingly easy and wall-punchingly difficult. No one should have been surprised by that, any more so than the stupid rabbit cars or the one car 15 seconds a lap slower than everyone else. Man did I love watching my Bob smash into that Fiat 500(I think another similar car too) over and over and over while endlessly grinding the 1,000 Miles series to get the GT4 all-black cars.

The other games have always managed to have a more satisfying career mode overall however, and usually seemed to avoid the "FGT on RS tires for every race" thing. GT5's satisfaction lies in driving the cars, not playing the events - particularly after parking AI was added(thanks again, PD).

😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁 I like gt5

I'm not saying I don't want NO PP events, I just want more events like the Stars and Stripes and Super GT!

A few things... first and foremost, refrain from using "u" and "ur" and stuff like that on here. There is a note that using words to suggest laziness is not allowed on GTPlanet. And as I suggested in a recent post, we DO have an influence on Gran Turismo. Maybe not a significant one, but our input does help. At least what we look for is a more than decent way to help shape the franchise. Our input for cars and tracks surely mean something. Look at just recently- we learned of Bathurst being scanned for GT6. For the longest, I've wanted better Australian and New Zealand representation in the GT series. The inclusion of Bathurst will go a long way in helping accomplish this.

I will grant you that it does seem like there could be more of the traditional events for Seasonals, like Stars and Stripes and such. I'd even be open to see a return of the events for those who have the Ferrari F1 cars. Or maybe even a Ferrari F1 vs. Formula Gran Turismo Seasonal. The new thing must be to have these challenges and Time/Drift Trials. You sometimes have to experiment with things rather than just have the same sort of events time after time.

Back