Why Tune When Tuning is Never Allowed?

• Thread starter oper8or
  • 13 comments
United States
United States
I've been having a great time with Gran Turismo Sport, and I enjoy circuit race tuning, but I haven't found many opportunities to actually race with custom tuning setups in GT Sport.

I'd like to build up my Driver Rating more, and Sport Mode racing is the only way I know of to do that, but Sport Mode doesn't allow tuning.

Most of the single-player GT League races limit things like what tires you can race with. If I'm racing on a race track, I want to drive on the best/softest race tires with the most grip, but most GT League races don't allow super-softs, and many only allow Sport tires (not race tires).

It seems like most of the player-hosted custom lobbies I usually see are either people just grinding laps around Special Stage Route X, or practice lobbies for Sport Mode races (where tuning isn't allowed), or drift lobbies, or empty.

I would join an online league, but I'm usually not available at the typical times league events are held, and I can't commit to a fixed schedule.

I understand the value of BoP to help level the playing field and keep the competition close. I also understand that many people don't like to tune and they don't want to be at a disadvantage against people who use custom tuning setups. I'm definitely not arguing against any of that. I would just like to use the game's built-in tuning features in more races.

Am I missing something? Are there more opportunities to race with custom tuning setups than I'm aware of?

Thanks for any friendly help on this. (Sorry if this has been asked here before.)

I can't speak for other GT players, but I don't use Super Soft tires as I find them unrealistic because they offer too much grip. And in a tire wear situation they won't last long either. On the rare occasion I will use Racing Medium, but for me it's mostly Racing Hard on my racecars. Sport Soft on most street cars. Most leagues don't allow tuning as it's a great way to level the playing field along with the BOP.

I've been having a great time with Gran Turismo Sport, and I enjoy circuit race tuning, but I haven't found many opportunities to actually race with custom tuning setups in GT Sport.

I'd like to build up my Driver Rating more, and Sport Mode racing is the only way I know of to do that, but Sport Mode doesn't allow tuning.

Most of the single-player GT League races limit things like what tires you can race with. If I'm racing on a race track, I want to drive on the best/softest race tires with the most grip, but most GT League races don't allow super-softs, and many only allow Sport tires (not race tires).

It seems like most of the player-hosted custom lobbies I usually see are either people just grinding laps around Special Stage Route X, or practice lobbies for Sport Mode races (where tuning isn't allowed), or drift lobbies, or empty.

I would join an online league, but I'm usually not available at the typical times league events are held, and I can't commit to a fixed schedule.

I understand the value of BoP to help level the playing field and keep the competition close. I also understand that many people don't like to tune and they don't want to be at a disadvantage against people who use custom tuning setups. I'm definitely not arguing against any of that. I would just like to use the game's built-in tuning features in more races.

Am I missing something? Are there more opportunities to race with custom tuning setups than I'm aware of?

Thanks for any friendly help on this. (Sorry if this has been asked here before.)
I tune cause the second best thing to do in GT is try to get a car to its fastest around a track.

I spend most of my game time practicing for FIA Manufacturer races and it would be so much more engaging if I could also tune instead of just doing laps around the same track.

I think I've entered 4 events this season and have done 5 races, it's a bit unattractive .

Exactly! That's what I want to do too. :) But I don't see many online races or time-attacks where I can use my tunes.

yeah it's true.. but unimportant imo. Id still spend time tuning even if I had no internet. Also in lobby mode with similar minded people, you can make cool races happen.

Sport Mode races should stay tuning-free: It lets someone know exactly how they compare to their idols, and track their progress precisely.

It would be also good if the game lets you buy a lot of tuning parts for your cars, so that it could turn slow vehicles into decently fast racing machines in tracks.

It would be also good if the game lets you buy a lot of tuning parts for your cars, so that it could turn slow vehicles into decently fast racing machines in tracks.

The option is there to upgrade horsepower and reduce weight - but again: I don't see many opportunities to race online with custom tuning setups. I'd love to do more custom setups in GT Sport, but not if I'll almost never get to use those setups

The option is there to upgrade horsepower and reduce weight - but again: I don't see many opportunities to race online with custom tuning setups. I'd love to do more custom setups in GT Sport, but not if I'll almost never get to use those setups

I host a weekly lobby that allows tuning. There’s a different theme each time. The link to it is in my signature. The only thing that might not work is that the lobby schedule might not sync with yours.

I agree, tuning should be allowed, now more than ever. Pretty soon the B and A classes will be overloaded as we all get better by the hour. The victorious should be the one whom knows how to tune, adjust fuel map and TCS on the fly. The strategic drivers that put in extra hours of testing and practice. I am going to put together a short endurance series that accounts for strategic planning and driving. Realistic racing!!

I have 2 active series running currently:
SNAIL-Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge, Event #6, Fri, January 3rd, 2020 at WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca

Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series Opener: Event #1, Friday Dec 20th, 9pm est at Monza **Sign Up Now**

And one to start in January:
Vintage Porsche 911 Cup Challenge, 1 Race Night/Month, Fridays at 9pm est *Taking Signups*

Check us out.

I could live without the Power and weight upgrades, if gt did remove that i would not But it, i would still prefer to have custom parts and upgrade parts

Back