Why use tc? With a properly tuned lsd

  • Thread starter Thread starter chattimus
  • 40 comments
  • 3,273 views
I always try whitout traction controll.
Most cars will do fine whit a decent setup. Gives it better experience and more fun trying not to overdo the Trothle.

But for Most HIGH POWER cars 700hp+ (Or slightly less hp with tailhappy slidin cars)
its kinda neccary for tc on :) . Like sauber C9 for example whit tc off its like :BRAKE , turn , wait for car to be fully straigt again and then trottle real soft OR DIE :) , tc on u can give trottle comin out of corner propperly :p (i got car setup here somwhere) ,

SO: tc = off = good
Exept (HIGH HIGH HIGH power cars tc = on = dont crash or drive like a granny)
 
I'm implying that it is a game and PD sets it up easy for the Need for Speed kiddies who pluck it off the shelf and who would whine about the difficulty if all aids came turned off by default.

From my experience all they do IS whine about the difficulty, hence why they spend more time on aesthetics and NFS than actual driving and GT.
My question is still why do you need to hype yourself up by claiming you're more hardcore and more of a real driver?
Respect to you for making the game more difficult if that's what you need to do to get off, but you aint making the game any more realistic. As from what I understand, PD's initial/default setup @ TC 5 is the closest, most realistic representation of all GT5's vehicle handling.
 
Here's my problem:

I buy a '69 Camaro and the default TC for the car is 5. How can a car which never came with TC in RL have a "stock" TC of more than 1 and still retain the feel of the original car?

I don't have a problem with all the vehicles having the TC@5, but PD could at least highlight what the RL cars TC is and have the car respond correctly at that TC level. A '69 Camaro should feel neutered if you stick a TC device on it.

There is a gaping hole in GT5s use of TC and other RL aids.
 
Last edited:
If you ask me if you have any assist turned on the game sux, its no more fun.... i like that the back wants to slide... but not too much - the car must be controlable...
I drive with everything off and with DS3
 
Last edited:
I drive all of my cars with all aids off, even the group-C cars and its so much more enjoyable that way.
And now the big ''BUT!'', but I can't drive the Peugeot 908 HDI with TC off, well, I CAN drive it, just very slowly, the diesel engine has so much torque (1200+) that I spin the car every now and then. Especially fast 4th gear corners. That car was not meant to be driven with TC off so I use TC 1 with a good fine tuned LSD. Works great, 3rd gear powerslides without losing control.
I still feel like a noob though, wish I could drive it without aids but I simply can't.
 
From my experience all they do IS whine about the difficulty, hence why they spend more time on aesthetics and NFS than actual driving and GT.
My question is still why do you need to hype yourself up by claiming you're more hardcore and more of a real driver?
Respect to you for making the game more difficult if that's what you need to do to get off, but you aint making the game any more realistic. As from what I understand, PD's initial/default setup @ TC 5 is the closest, most realistic representation of all GT5's vehicle handling.

There is a measurable effect of having TCS enabled from latency, from the time you press the accelerator to the time it is applied to the car, so it only prolongs driver adaption to appropriately learning to how to throttle the gas according to vehicle response exiting corners. I like to use the analogy of the guy with 300ms pings on a Quake server where everyone else is under 50ms, he's just going get stomped. Laps with TCS off are faster for this very reason and the higher the setting the more difficult it is to gauge the response time of the car from the time you apply throttle. By choosing to use the aid you are locking yourself into a cycle of perpetual reliance upon TCS because it is more difficult to gauge the response time, turn it off and you will see what I mean, you just have to be willing to try it first.
 
Last edited:
From my understanding a LSD allows the wheels to spin at different speeds , but will not prevent loss of traction from happening.

For me , I have a distinct lack of talent so I use some T/C and ABS.
 
Felix79
From my understanding a LSD allows the wheels to spin at different speeds , but will not prevent loss of traction from happening.

For me , I have a distinct lack of talent so I use some T/C and ABS.

By allowing the tyres to spin at different speeds there is often not a loss of traction.

The TC, ABS and LSD are what Dr. Beckman defines in "The Physics of Racing" as cybernetics. They all try to interpret driver input and apply what the driver wants instead of what he told the vehicle to do.

Excellent article, I highly recommend it.
 
Ok,,, I read everything everyone had to say. I'm level 35 and use a wheel, honestly never tried messing with the TCS, I always left it at the default 5.
I just ran about 6 a-spec races with the TCS off in different cars, mild to wild
And I have a new Love for the game!!!
I doubt I'll be turning the TCS back on.
It just seems more fun to this 37yo casual racer/gamer.
 
Dandwg, its addicting. First you turn off TC, then quickly every aid (except maybe ABS1), then your hunting the forum for better tunes. But that's not enough! You then start to tweak the tunes. Then you never leave the tuning forums. Endurance races aren't grueling, but opertunities to test a tune.

Moo hoo ha ha! Insert sinister laugh here.
 
Ok,,, I read everything everyone had to say. I'm level 35 and use a wheel, honestly never tried messing with the TCS, I always left it at the default 5.
I just ran about 6 a-spec races with the TCS off in different cars, mild to wild
And I have a new Love for the game!!!
I doubt I'll be turning the TCS back on.
It just seems more fun to this 37yo casual racer/gamer.

:dopey:Now this makes me happy that I started this thread, just to hear about one racer finding a new love for the game should make all you very happy. So kudos to all the positive comments and allowing this gamer to find a new love for the game through no aids. And Dandwg if you ever need any help tuning or just wanna race with some good fellow racers who enjoy no aids as much as you do now add me my psn is chattimusmaximus and we can get it done and tear it up:).

your gt pal
chatty
 
Back