Why were some of the best features of GT5 hidden in a 'secret menu'

There is a way to hack the GT5 game and get into some special functions that aren't available any other way. It's been pretty well advertised if you have been around a good bit.

This is the exact kind of passive aggressive nonsense that gives all of those "GTP is too toxic for PD to do what they promised to do" Kaz crusaders ammunition. Congratulations.

Ok maybe the question was a touch passive-aggressive, but its far from nonsense.

It could stand to be reworded, but is certainly nothing to get your panties all bunched up about.

Maybe we could ask,
"Are you aware that many players are using hacked/cracked save files to access a Secret Menu wherein many great features are hidden? Will you address this issue in some way?"

This is the exact kind of passive aggressive nonsense that gives all of those "GTP is too toxic for PD to do what they promised to do" Kaz crusaders ammunition. Congratulations.
I am not being passive aggressive. I genuinely want to know whay he hid all the best features in a secret menu.

This allegation has no merit. The question is perfectly valid. And as a paying customer, I'd like to know the answer as well. I've played "by the rules" and never hacked the game, never cheated in the game, never used any of the gray area cheats, etc. For my reward, I find out that PDI has been holding features back purposefully.

I am not being passive aggressive. I genuinely want to know whay he hid all the best features in a secret menu.
And that's the rub. The question isn't about if we'll ever get the features. It isn't even about the features at all. It's purely about finding "why" a decision was made, already acting on the assumption that the decision was deliberately made to deny people those options. It's a witch hunt, and as helpfully shown by xiando above, a futile one for PD to bother with since it seems minds already seem to be made up regarding "why" it was done so any official answer would be called foul on anyway.

What "features" even are the "best"? I've played with the secret menu, and I know of one feature that is pretty useful but hardly a major ace in the hole, and one feature that would theoretically be fantastic and awesome and an outright game seller all by itself, but the one actually in the GT5 Secret Menu being a confusing and barely functional mess.
How are PD supposed to answer what is essentially an accusation (and one targeted at Kaz specifically, no less) posed as a question with a straight answer without knowing exactly what you are even talking about?

This allegation has no merit. The question is perfectly valid.
It's nice that you can look past a pretty blatant attempt to circle jerk so long as it concerns something you want. I'm afraid I don't have the luxury of being able to completely ignore context and phrasing, perhaps since I actually would like PD to answer the questions in this forum and can recognize ones that they would never touch even if they were answering questions on a frequent basis.

And as a paying customer, I'd like to know the answer as well. I've played "by the rules" and never hacked the game, never cheated in the game, never used any of the gray area cheats, etc. For my reward, I find out that PDI has been holding features back purposefully.
Except you don't know that "PDI has been holding features back purposely" (and you certainly don't know that they are holding back features so they can "force" users to buy a new system, speaking of allegations with no merit) particularly when not all of the Secret Menu options actually worked properly, so right at the start your entire argument is built on a false premise. To say nothing of the amusing projection of entitlement so deeply rooted in your post that it practically drips from it.

Maybe we could ask,
"Are you aware that many players are using hacked/cracked save files to access a Secret Menu wherein many great features are hidden? Will you address this issue in some way?"
The problem being that "are you aware of people accessing these hidden features, and will they ever be accessible to everyone" are two completely different questions from "why didn't you let us have this thing we want."

Last edited:
I don't know if there were more than one secret menu, but if it is the one that I found on youtube then it looks like it's purely for setting up the game for demonstration events. So if the game were to be part of an event with, say, Mercedes-Benz, rather than having the full game on display they could use the secret menu to limit the game to only be playable in arcade mode, set a time limit for each session, customize which cars and which tracks would be available etc.

So the reason why the menu was hidden is probably that it was only meant to be used to customize the game for public events.

The only option I saw in the menu that would be useful for the player would be the ability to customize the list of cars you're racing against. Other than that it seems to only be different limitations to the game.

Witch hunt my arse Tornado.

Facts are facts, and no amount of shill spin changes the facts. You can choose to swerve around them as much as you like, but you're not fooling anyone.

"It's nice that you can look past a pretty blatant attempt to circle jerk"

It's typical to see your type of blatant shill post.

"Except you don't know that "PDI has been holding features back purposely""

Actually, I do know PD has purposefully attempted to keep the secret menu options hidden. Otherwise they wouldn't be hidden.

Last edited:
Actually, I do know PD has purposefully attempted to keep the secret menu options hidden. Otherwise they wouldn't be hidden.

Emphasis on "secret" and you shall know why. Normal users are not supposed to use or see it, period. :rolleyes:

Facts are facts, and no amount of shill spin changes the facts. You can choose to swerve around them as much as you like, but you're not fooling anyone.

"It's nice that you can look past a pretty blatant attempt to circle jerk"

"Except you don't know that "PDI has been holding features back purposely""

Is it not possible the features weren't released because there were some bugs associated with them they couldn't resolve and ran out of time or refocused on other things?

Last edited:
Yes, witch hunt. You're demanding answers for your accusations of PD's misdeeds, that they explain themselves for their actions, for something you have no proof of them doing intentionally in the first place. Every game ever made has some sort of developmental content hidden in it. The reasoning for such actions can go for "we ran out of time to include it" (something that GT5's forced release by Sony certainly doesn't negate) to "it didn't work properly" (again, GT5 with its rather infamous amounts of unfinished content later patched in) to "we didn't think people would really care to see it" (remember the Standard car wheels?) to even examples of "we didn't know that it didn't work" (remember how surprised Kaz was when people had to tell him on his Twitter the custom transmission couldn't actually be customised?).

We already have enough people jock riding PD about how they don't have to answer the QA questions they promised to answer because GTP members made Kaz feel sad. Just last night a member went on a silly tirade about how we shouldn't expect answers to be posted on the PD blog and everyone should stop complaining about it because the blog was never intended to be used in that way.
Don't give people like that ammo. Thanks.

Facts are facts
And beyond the fact that the hidden menu options weren't accessible, you don't have any. Certainly nothing to make any implications regarding sinister motives on PD's part, as you have done. Next?

Actually, no. What you know was that there is certain functionality built into the game for unknown reasons; some of it blatantly unfinished, others of extremely questionable value for the consumer to actually have, and one of which (the FoV adjustment options) that PD may very well not realize people wanted in the first place; since FoV adjustment is a pretty esoteric thing to just expect people to want in a console game (off the top of my head I can think of plenty of PC sims that have the option, but no console racers. Not even ports of PC racers that had it) and the option as it is is very trial and error to actually get working.
What you don't know is that there was any malicious intent, and purposeful subterfuge against the consumer, the kind of allegations of intent you stated outright here in another thread:
That says volumes about what's already possible, and what PDI has purposely hidden from the vast majority of its paying customers. They do this crap so they can "force" users to purchase new systems and new peripheral hardware.
And yet for some reason you keep acting as if it was proven the second the menu was announced that PD deliberately made it so players couldn't have that content; even going so far as to postulate a monetary reason for them to do so.
And I ask, why is that? Why can't it be that PD simply didn't see the value in giving players the ability to do random things like put a time limit on their game or restrict player car selection to BMWs; functionality that was obviously included in the first place so the game could be easily used at the many car shows, gaming expos and racing events GT5 was demonstrated at? Why can't the barely functioning AI selection option simply not be included because it was barely functioning rather than a deliberate attempt to fleece customers with a future purchase? Why is it that not giving the players the confusing FoV adjustment system is PD purposely hiding player options rather than an example of PD's traditional absent mindedness of not knowing what the players want; or an example of PD's even more traditional inability to design decent menu systems for complex tasks?

When you go through sites like The Cutting Room Floor or Sonic Retro, sites that delve into the same sorts of hidden options and developer content, does your mind just explode with anger at all of the unfinished and locked away content that ends up in final games, since you are seemingly unaware that dummying out code or making it hidden is far safer for a programmer to do than actively removing it? When you heard about the honest-to-goodness Porsche 911 hidden in every Japanese and American copy of GT3, did you send Kaz threatening letters for hiding that? What about all of the unearthed content of GTPSP, where essentially the entire GT4 tuning system was included and functional but disabled, since the game wasn't designed for it? Did you send anthrax?

Oh, and one last thing:
and no amount of shill spin changes the facts. You can choose to swerve around them as much as you like, but you're not fooling anyone.

I'm sorry. I need to get this absolutely straight: did you just seriously spend an entire third of your rebuttal trying to dismiss my post on the assumption that I'm a PD shill?

Last edited:
Yes, you are a shill. And your wall of text confirms it
Going through @Tornado s' mind:

35899753.jpg

Because they want to control THEIR game and how you play it. They can't just give you the key's to run wild.

It must be hard for them to even release the game to the public. I bet my ass that if they had that possibility they would rather keep it for themselves.

Radical ? No - based on several statements from PD themselves.

It's their....creation, a precious gem that they polished in secrecy, far from barbarous eyes of general public and it's consumeristic ways of treating years of hard work like "just a racing game".

In other words - they treat it way too seriously without actually delivering anything earth shattering and limiting what they already have for a very personal, irrational reason.

Back