Why You'll Never See a Gran Turismo Remaster

Yeah, I got a new PS2 and remember playing GT3 in the summer of 2001. I have 2 copies of it. It would be great to maybe have updated physics and wheel support with a remastered game!

The real reason we won't see a remake of a pre PS3 GT. It would show how much better their games used to be. Nobody likes to be reminded about that sort of thing.
I don't agree with that and also I don't think there was such strong competition compared to what there is now. No Forza, Project Cars, Asseto Corsa. I know there were different other racers back then but not so many strong rivals.

For me there's no need to remaster them i have all the copies .
I recently played gt1 and 2 and i was busy with gt3, but i've come back to 6 because gt sport is announced.
I need to practice with my wheel again;)

I don't agree with that and also I don't think there was such strong competition compared to what there is now. No Forza, Project Cars, Asseto Corsa. I know there were different other racers back then but not so many strong rivals.
I didn't mean as a sim. I meant as a game.

Okay, so here's the idea. Don't rebuild from the ground up. Take what we have and use it.

I would DEARLY love all of the tracks, events, license challenges (how did ANYONE learn Trial Mountain without GT1? ;) ), missions, etc.

As DLC.

You buy a set of tracks;

A set of challenges gets added to your progression.

Simple enough.

One DLC for everything from GT1. Two for everything from GT2. One for everything from GT3. Three (?) for everything from GT4. One or two for all events from GT5, then another one or two for all of the seasonals. Same for GT6.

Who in their right mind wouldn't go for this? Seriously! Now, admittedly, we would have to change cars in a couple...., well..., many, of the events, but I'm sure that wouldn't be super hard to arrange.

And talk about a cash cow! If each DLC was $5 and they sold a million (I don't see that being hard), they would make a killing!

I also don't see a well optioned/built DLC being under $10. ;)

I have been BEGGING for this for YEARS!!!!

When...... :(

Race Mod DLCs for GTS would be the best we could hope for. They appease long term fans and fit the theme of this title.

Okay, so here's the idea. Don't rebuild from the ground up. Take what we have and use it.

I would DEARLY love all of the tracks, events, license challenges (how did ANYONE learn Trial Mountain without GT1? ;) ), missions, etc.

As DLC.

You buy a set of tracks;

A set of challenges gets added to your progression.

Simple enough.

One DLC for everything from GT1. Two for everything from GT2. One for everything from GT3. Three (?) for everything from GT4. One or two for all events from GT5, then another one or two for all of the seasonals. Same for GT6.

Who in their right mind wouldn't go for this? Seriously! Now, admittedly, we would have to change cars in a couple...., well..., many, of the events, but I'm sure that wouldn't be super hard to arrange.

And talk about a cash cow! If each DLC was $5 and they sold a million (I don't see that being hard), they would make a killing!

I also don't see a well optioned/built DLC being under $10. ;)

I have been BEGGING for this for YEARS!!!!

When...... :(

I'm confused. What do you mean DLC? DLC as in additions for GT Sport? Would they be done to GT Sport's graphic quality, or would they be wholesale carryovers of the classic games?

It'd be sort of a neat Easter Egg to have working copies of GT1/GT2 buried within GT Sport, I admit. I think there'd be some kickback to the idea of putting GT6 in there though, since it'd be a bigger, more diverse game than the game it'd be featured within!

Licensing. Whether it be for vehicles by long dead companies, track licenses that lapsed, or maybe most of all, soundtrack rights.

If the company is long dead, wouldn't it be EASIER? They are not around to do anything about it.
Also, how hard could it be to do that since most stuff (minus the music) is available on the last released GT?

I've recently started playing GT PSP [...] via PPSSPP emulator. [...] I have to say that on a bigger screen, with a nice XBOX 360 controller is a REAL blast. GT PSP has such a nice collection of tracks and cars, so i'm still managing to enjoy it[...]

To me the only problem with GT PSP is not the game but the system: The PSP having only one analog stick was dumb since it was supposed to be a sort of portable PS2. Also, using the X360 controller is not as good for these games as a PS2/PS3 controller IMO. The analogs are precise, but don't feel the same somehow, I can't explain why.
Oh and for anyone who's playing GT PSP: My God, you have to try Full Lap Drifting on Motorsports Land with like an RX-7, or my favorite, a white Corvette C4 ZR-1. That track is perfect for drifting.

I'd hazard a guess that most people that have really fond memories of the old GT games would not get past spending about 15mins on any of them before thinking they'd be better off on a current game[...]

I had a good PC, PS3 and 360 and between them played: Assetto Corsa, Gran Turismo 5 and 6, Forza 3 and 4, Horizon 1 and 2, Project Gotham 4, GRID 1, GRID Autosport, Shift 1 and 2, DIRT 2 and 3, but STILL enjoyed playing GT2 on a PS2, low resolution and all. It just has some very nice cars and tracks not available on modern games, some not even on modern GT games.
Oh and maybe features too? I really liked the Racing Modifications, a quick way to fully convert your car and get a famous livery, without having to replicate it first. The closest I think there is, is NFS Shift: Add body kit, mod interior and select pre-made livery.

If the company is long dead, wouldn't it be EASIER? They are not around to do anything about it.
Also, how hard could it be to do that since most stuff (minus the music) is available on the last released GT?

To me the only problem with GT PSP is not the game but the system: The PSP having only one analog stick was dumb since it was supposed to be a sort of portable PS2. Also, using the X360 controller is not as good for these games as a PS2/PS3 controller IMO. The analogs are precise, but don't feel the same somehow, I can't explain why.
Oh and for anyone who's playing GT PSP: My God, you have to try Full Lap Drifting on Motorsports Land with like an RX-7, or my favorite, a white Corvette C4 ZR-1. That track is perfect for drifting.

I had a good PC, PS3 and 360 and between them played: Assetto Corsa, Gran Turismo 5 and 6, Forza 3 and 4, Horizon 1 and 2, Project Gotham 4, GRID 1, GRID Autosport, Shift 1 and 2, DIRT 2 and 3, but STILL enjoyed playing GT2 on a PS2, low resolution and all. It just has some very nice cars and tracks not available on modern games, some not even on modern GT games.
Oh and maybe features too? I really liked the Racing Modifications, a quick way to fully convert your car and get a famous livery, without having to replicate it first. The closest I think there is, is NFS Shift: Add body kit, mod interior and select pre-made livery.

I get it that some people do spend a good amount of time dipping in and out of the older games for various logical reasons but outside of the real big GT/racing game fans I doubt whether there are many that would do the same.

Ultimately I don't know why PD would bother going to the effort to remaster the PS1/PS2 era games when it takes them AS long to produce what looks like it's going to be about half of what a current gen GT game should be.

I'm confused. What do you mean DLC? DLC as in additions for GT Sport? Would they be done to GT Sport's graphic quality, or would they be wholesale carryovers of the classic games?

It'd be sort of a neat Easter Egg to have working copies of GT1/GT2 buried within GT Sport, I admit. I think there'd be some kickback to the idea of putting GT6 in there though, since it'd be a bigger, more diverse game than the game it'd be featured within!

My thought was more for expanding the layout/system of GT6. With the new game, it remains to be seen what the GAME part of the play will be.

But....

It would be very neat to have all of the tracks. From all of the games. Done to the level of Sport so they fit.

And, yes, it would be additional things to buy after the game is released.

Then, being able to have all of the events, including the seasonals, from ALL of the games. Think about running the GT1 enduro on SSR7 in GTSport! Fun!

The other thing that would make this neat is to have a proper event generator. Being able to open a seasonal (or any other race) and modify the cars, time, etc. would be incredible.

But that's a completely other argument. ;)

I seem to remember that the Fat PS3 played GT3 and GT4 with improved graphics, other games didn't fare so well. Not a remaster i know, but it was great while the fun lasted..the PS3 "bricked" whilst updating GT5. I should get the old girl fixed.

There were 2, 3, or 4 versions of the fat PS3 that had backward compatibility. With different types of virtualization and different amounts of success. One used an actual PS2 chipset, another used a virtual system. Each had limited success.

I tend to use the Emulation for playing PS2 GT titles in HD much alike a remaster, although I don't feel comfortable and it would be preferable if Sony made GT3 / GT4 for the PS4 through it's PS2 emulation.

I still don't understand why they haven't done it?

They are the Best selling SCE games on PS1 & PS2 .

Last edited:
“I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3, and PS4 games,” Ryan said, “and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?”

Why would anybody fail to understand that video games are far more than visual presentation - especially the CEO of a major player in the gaming industry?

This is what happens when "bean counters" run a company

"Jim joined Sony PlayStation in 1995 as International Financial Officer"

Last edited:
Aside from the licensing nightmare and the great for the era but pixelated and ugly graphics, the physics of the PS1 games are rubbish compared to today's games. MR cars like the NSX are basically Formula Drift machines and AWDs with any significant horsepower yank the car into an understeer slide the second you hit the gas.

I'm not sure people want an exact gameplay replica of say GT2 or GT4.

GT4 in 4k isnt likely to fly with a large part of the audience or with PD.

Now a fully 4k remaster of say Fallout New Vegas or Gran Theft Auto San Andreas? Well yeah.

What people really want is faithful remasters of tracks, cars and CONCEPTS that were well received in past Gran Turismos.

Some of us would like GT5 Shuffle racing back? Some of us would love restorations of classic cars we all loved in past games.

Say Grand Valley Raceway with the Toyota GT One or the Minolta 88 in the new GT Sport engine.

Latest Posts

Back