Widespread doping usage Russian athletes.

• Thread starter Dennisch
  • 41 comments

Dennisch

Humongous member
Premium
Netherlands
Hilversum
Dennisch
The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) has accused Russia of systematic doping violations and cover-ups involving Russian officials, including the sports minister. It calls for Russian athletes to be barred from competitions.

Link

The Iron Curtain is back, and Russia uses Eastern Germany's tactics to bring home the gold.

Another blatant and cheap shot at Russia. Nowadays all professional athletes take a cabinet full of growth hormones, steroids and performance enhancing drugs for breakfast.

Aren't most if not all athletes worldwide? That's according to Victor Conte of the Balco Scandal. I think he said that in the Joe Rogan Experience IIRC but maybe I'm wrong.

The WADA has suspended the license of the Moscow anti doping laboratory after reports that the Director, Grigory Rodchenko, ordered 1400 samples to be destroyed.

The WADA has suspended the license of the Moscow anti doping laboratory after reports that the Director, Grigory Rodchenko, ordered 1400 samples to be destroyed.

It's like the RFA and those computers they 'leased' for the World Cup bid being destroyed because they were 'no longer needed'.

There's no smoke without fire.

Another blatant and cheap shot at Russia. Nowadays all professional athletes take a cabinet full of growth hormones, steroids and performance enhancing drugs for breakfast.

There's a difference between individuals and teams doing it and risking getting caught, and an entire organization condoning and covering it up.

Given the history of the Russian athletics program, this is not really all that surprising.

I'm sure he will have every person possible looking for the person responsible (for leaking the story).
To be a bit honest, the source is a WADA report. Russia had to cooperate or else the same result would have happened even faster, or worse.

There's a difference between individuals and teams doing it and risking getting caught, and an entire organization condoning and covering it up.

Given the history of the Russian athletics program, this is not really all that surprising.

If you want to become a competitive athlete you have to use lots of hormones and performance enhancing drugs.
All sports organizations are well aware of their athletes substance abuse and usage of performance enhancing drugs, and they want their athletes to stay and be competitive so they're all condoning drug abuse.
People don't realize what an ugly, corrupt and unhealthy swamp competitive sports is nowadays.

Whats happening here is just an inept attempt in bashing Russia, nothing more.

If you want to become a competitive athlete you have to use lots of hormones and performance enhancing drugs.
All sports organizations are well aware of their athletes substance abuse and usage of performance enhancing drugs, and they want their athletes to stay and be competitive so they're all condoning drug abuse.
People don't realize what an ugly, corrupt and unhealthy swamp competitive sports is nowadays.

Whats happening here is just an inept attempt in bashing Russia, nothing more.
So what you are saying is that all PED should be legal? Are you insane? Performance Enhancing drugs can lead to very choppy results later AFTER the athlete has retired from sport. A very profound example is Chris Benoit. That man murdered his entire family under a steroid induced rage (the details are so clear that I'll leave them out for the sake of the AUP). Another example is Eddie Guerrero. That man, according to a Sports Illustrated report, obtained hCG and the steroid Stanozolol early in 2005 before he died.

Eddie died due to heart issue, but the relevant fact is that if athletes feel that they have to skirt the system to get better performance out of their bodies, by god they will do so.

On the contrary, performance enhancing drugs should be banned in all sports because they have unhealthy side effects and undermines fairness because it gives those who have the best doctors and drugs a better chance to win. And thats not what sport is and should be about.
But thats entirely impossible since drug testing is complex, expensive and sometimes impossible, those tests are also used as tool to destroy other competitors by those who have the influence over the not so independent testers. And last but not lest there is entire sub-industry selling those drugs, which makes any change very unlikely.

In a nutshell: professional Olympic sports are complete crap nowadays as it is full of corruption, illegal substances, bribes and other ugly things that should have never found their way into sports.

But being a massive hypocrite and blaming others of systematic doping is completely laughable as everyone is doing it like crazy, and everyone knows it. Its just a cheap political shot at the Russians - the US and the ''West'' is trying so hard to make Russia look like the new Antichrist in any way possible, its just comedy gold.

Last edited:
But being a massive hypocrite and blaming others of systematic doping is completely laughable as everyone is doing it like crazy, and everyone knows it. Its just a cheap political shot at the Russians

I think that it being the Russians for now is just unfortunate (or deliberate) timing.
Just about every sports body is going all in on banning doping, just look at cycling as example.

Having individuals using it is a completely different situation than having an entire governing body trying to cheat and cover up.

Having individuals using it is a completely different situation than having an entire governing body trying to cheat and cover up.
Its not, the end result is the same, and as I said, all sports governing bodies are completely aware of their athletes doing drugs, their complicity does not make them any better than those who have more of an ''active hand'' in cheating with PED's.

They all approve it, they're all guilty of ruining sports and the health of their athletes.

all sports governing bodies are completely aware of their athletes doing drugs

I would like to have a source for that. I remember a gymnast here who got caught using cocaine in his free time, and boy, he got his ass handed to him, several times over. Same goes for every cyclist being caught nowadays, they are treated like pariahs.

I do agree that doping is widespread but not the way you think it is. How about footballers, who are also regularly tested, are those results also being fixed, and outcomes covered up?

I do agree that doping is widespread but not the way you think it is. How about footballers, who are also regularly tested, are those results also being fixed, and outcomes covered up?
On a related tangent, Alex Rodriguez got suspended for the 2014 season just on a suspicion of doping. Mark McGuire is on his last year of MLB Hall of Fame eligibility, and likely won't get in because of his steroid use. Even Barry Bonds, the recognized Home Run King, may not get in because of his alleged steroid use.

The point is that MLB's penalties for doping have gotten stiffer, a lot stiffer, since the steroid scandal that nearly took down the sport in the last decade, and the sports writers that write for those teams haven't forgotten, nor have they forgiven the players.

Another 5 countries are blacklisted by the WADA and can face sanctions pretty soon. Ukraine, Argentina and Bolivia because of testing by non accredited labs. Andorra and Israel because they didn't take over rules set by the WADA.

Another 6 countries, France, Spain, Belgium, Mexico, Brazil and Greece, have been placed on a watch list and need to have their stuff in order before the 18th of March.

On a related tangent, Alex Rodriguez got suspended for the 2014 season just on a suspicion of doping. Mark McGuire is on his last year of MLB Hall of Fame eligibility, and likely won't get in because of his steroid use. Even Barry Bonds, the recognized Home Run King, may not get in because of his alleged steroid use.

The point is that MLB's penalties for doping have gotten stiffer, a lot stiffer, since the steroid scandal that nearly took down the sport in the last decade, and the sports writers that write for those teams haven't forgotten, nor have they forgiven the players.
Were steroids even banned when McGuire and Bonds were at their peak?

Were steroids even banned when McGuire and Bonds were at their peak?
Probably so, but two things, one is that it isn't strictly tested as it is today, and two, MLB really didn't care about enforcement.

Now granted I didn't read the BALCO report, but most baseball players that were suspected of using steroids (including A-Rod), were clients of BALCO.

Solution: Have two Olympics. A clean Olympics, and a steroid Olympics.

Risk an early grave!
Pump yourself full of the most dangerous HGHs!
How much tension can human skin handle?
See what the absolute limit of the human condition is!

Obviously you'd still have to screen the clean Olympics. You'd get sneaky types still trying to get into the clean Olympics whilst on steroids but you could say to them "No, no, don't be playing silly buggers now. If you want to pump yourself full of steds, you go and play with those freaks in those events other there."

Probably so, but two things, one is that it isn't strictly tested as it is today, and two, MLB really didn't care about enforcement.
That is what annoys me about people wanting to exclude McGuire and Bonds from the HOF. They were doing things that weren't really frowned on at the time, and being punished based on more recent rules/events/enforcements.

Aren't most if not all athletes worldwide? That's according to Victor Conte of the Balco Scandal. I think he said that in the Joe Rogan Experience IIRC but maybe I'm wrong.

Yep. There's a good triangle test for whether or not someone is doping. Usually you need 3 things: length, strength, and technique. You need the body frame, the genetic makeup, to be good at what you do. Taller, longer athletes are more powerful due to leverages, etc. But you also need the strength to take advantage of those leverages. Finally, technique speaks for itself.

If athletes are getting by on sheer strength, when their technique sucks and they aren't particularly suited to what they're doing, you can almost guarantee that they're doping somehow. Especially if they're competing with other elites who fulfill the triangle.

Classic example is the discus throw. The prototype thrower with the strength, frame, and tech is Virgilijus Alekna. He's built like an oak, arms like cranes, and with impeccable technique. He's the best thrower for two decades. Some years ago this guy Robert Fazekas comes onto the scene and starts winning. He's much smaller and his technique blows. But he can fling that disc out there. Turns out he was a big time doper. Dropped his cheat pee-bag and got piss all over himself when they were testing him. Busted. :lol:

If he was planning on outing some corrupt people (surely nobody in Russia is corrupt? :dopey:), then I would confidently bet on "heart attack".

Sweating intensifies!

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) retested 454 selected doping samples from the Olympic Games Beijing 2008. The re-tests follow work with the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) and the International Federations. They were focused on athletes who could potentially start at the Olympic Games Rio 2016 and were conducted using the very latest scientific analysis methods. As a result up to 31 athletes from six sports could be banned from competing at the Olympic Games in Rio. The Executive Board of the IOC today agreed unanimously to initiate proceedings immediately, with the 12 NOCs* concerned informed in the coming days. All those athletes infringing anti-doping rules will be banned from competing at the Olympic Games Rio 2016.

Back