Will current PS4-compatible racing wheels be compatible with the PS5?

Croatia
Croatia
This is one question I haven't seen being asked anywhere yet, and it's kinda bothering me, a bit.

Since the PS5 is supposed to be backwards-compatible with PS4 games, does it mean that hardware such as a simracing wheel for the PS4 will also be compatible on the PS5?

It feels like an important question, I thought it had to be asked at some point.

This is one question I haven't seen being asked anywhere yet, and it's kinda bothering me, a bit.

Since the PS5 is supposed to be backwards-compatible with PS4 games, does it mean that hardware such as a simracing wheel for the PS4 will also be compatible on the PS5?

It feels like an important question, I thought it had to be asked at some point.
I have seen this question asked many times but for now there is no answer.

I think it fair to assume hardware will work on PS4 games running on PS5. Whether PS5 games will work with existing hardware is another matter. Same for Xbox I'd say.

PSVR will be compatible and also ps4 games. It is hard to predict, but Thrustmaster T-GT will support future GT sport games, so there is a large chance that Fanatec CSL and Podium will be supported, but this has not been confirmed yet. I think that Fanatec should be pressured to pressure sony to give more clarity on the subject.

Where did you get this from?
ИГРИ.png

http://ts.thrustmaster.com/download/accessories/Manuals/TGT/TGT_User_Manual.pdf

True. But does it say that this includes GT games on future consoles?

I would be surprised if our fellow competitors are brave enough to promise compatibility of their wheel with GT 9 on PS7.
As far as I know future GT (I believe this is Gran Turismo?) games are going to be on a future console. Also as far as I know the next GT game will be on the PS5. Your comment about GT9 on the PS7 is ridiculous.

The PS4 has GT5 and GTS, so two GT games. So it is very much possible that the PS5 will also have two GT titles, hence the futures GT games.

No insult intended, nor trying to be an ass. Just an observation but I could be wrong though.

As far as I know future GT (I believe this is Gran Turismo?) games are going to be on a future console. Also as far as I know the next GT game will be on the PS5. Your comment about GT9 on the PS7 is ridiculous.

The PS4 has GT5 and GTS, so two GT games. So it is very much possible that the PS5 will also have two GT titles, hence the futures GT games.

No insult intended, nor trying to be an ass. Just an observation but I could be wrong though.

His point that the wording on the Thrustmaster doc is extremely questionable as it can be taken to mean that T-GT will work with ANY future GT title. The sensible conclusion is that some person at Thrustmaster has become a little carried away with their blurb. I would not read anything into the Thrustmaster wording. My current expectation is that Fanatec kit is just as likely to work on PS5 as Thrustmaster. No more, no less.

CJ

His point that the wording on the Thrustmaster doc is extremely questionable as it can be taken to mean that T-GT will work with ANY future GT title. The sensible conclusion is that some person at Thrustmaster has become a little carried away with their blurb. I would not read anything into the Thrustmaster wording. My current expectation is that Fanatec kit is just as likely to work on PS5 as Thrustmaster. No more, no less.

CJ
Ok but mentioning GT9 on a PS7 is ridiculous. We don't even know if there is going to be a GT9 or a PS7. GT7 on a PS5 is much more realistic. And a professional manufacturer like Thrustmaster doesn't just blurb. They could have been more specific though. Maybe Thrustmaster knows something we don't about future compatibility?

For Fanatec's stuff to work on the PS5 is also speculation. I truly hope that every Fanatec device will be plug & play and 100% compatible with the PS5. But as Fanatec.... mentioned, it will all be up to Sony.

They worked closely with Polyphony with the development of the wheel. Thats why the T500 is still supported

I would be surprised if our fellow competitors are brave enough to promise compatibility of their wheel with GT 9 on PS7.

I dont think that is a misprint. You could contact Sony or polyphony, but this is what the manual says.

That isnt impossible though. With current architecture of the PS4 and PS5 staying the same, I assume OS will be an evolution. PC supports even older legacy peripherals. Also I assume they have a longterm licensing deal with Polyphony, which is a first-party dev.

That said isnt sony already handing out devkits to large developers? Shouldnt that give some clarity? I cant imagine developers working on games, without knowledge which peripherals will be supported.

They worked closely with Polyphony with the development of the wheel. Thats why the T500 is still supported

I dont think that is a misprint. You could contact Sony or polyphony, but this is what the manual says.

That isnt impossible though. With current architecture of the PS4 and PS5 staying the same, I assume OS will be an evolution. PC supports even older legacy peripherals. Also I assume they have a longterm licensing deal with Polyphony, which is a first-party dev.

That said isnt sony already handing out devkits to large developers? Shouldnt that give some clarity? I cant imagine developers working on games, without knowledge which peripherals will be supported.

The point being the Thrustmaster blurb just says 'future consoles'. It does not say the next genreration console, it does not say the next two generations. As it is written it can equally apply to a console produced in 100 years time as that will also be a future console. As a result I would not read anything in to the statement by Thrustmaster at all.

CJ

The point being the Thrustmaster blurb just says 'future consoles'. It does not say the next genreration console, it does not say the next two generations. As it is written it can equally apply to a console produced in 100 years time as that will also be a future console. As a result I would not read anything in to the statement by Thrustmaster at all.

CJ

Not exactly it says "future GT games". I assume that means polyphony will implement support for T-GT as long as their making GT games according to license agreement. This ofcourse can change when the license deal ends. However this does not promise support for future non GT games, but seeing how the T500 originally was a PS3 wheel and both TM and Polyphony went out of their way to make support for GT sport available should have some indication on whats to come.

Also it is literally taken from the manual and not just a statement.

Indeed, as you guys say, it doesn't tell us anything about whether PS4-compatible wheels in general will be supported on PS5.

So I suppose the question is, do Sony think the security chip does its job? Or does it need (?!) an update? Since we've seen Drivehub and others side-jack it, I'd say it hasn't succeeded in its current form, and that's a reason for a new chip/method.

OTOH, are PS4s being hacked like the PS3 was? Have Sony fixed enough bugs and made their USB stack more secure, and that's all that was really needed rather than any security chip?

For all we know there might already be a new chip, maybe already shipping inside recent products - one that is compatible with both PS4 and PS5. Of course at this stage no wheel manufacturer would be allowed to talk about it...

It's hyperbole.

hyperbole
/hʌɪˈpəːbəli/
noun
  1. exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.
but still ridiculous to make that statement, even more when a CEO makes the statement.

CJ

You forget the T-GT was developed in conjunction with Polyphony. So that chance is quite big that support will continue.
There is a small off chance that the PS5 will not support the wheel (like G25/27, DFGT, CSW etc.) but that is unlikely (not impossible). Also the PS3 had a cell processor based OS.

but still ridiculous to make that statement, even more when a CEO makes the statement.

I think he was just hyperboling to make a point. I guess he wasnt informed about this particular fact about the T-GT. I just hope Fanatec will do their best to continue their license with PS5.

Hi Thomas, seem thrustmaster have good relationship with Sony or PD , you can see last gen steering wheel T500rs still support many PS4 games and why Logitech DFGT can’t ?

Not exactly it says "future GT games". I assume that means polyphony will implement support for T-GT as long as their making GT games according to license agreement. This ofcourse can change when the license deal ends. However this does not promise support for future non GT games, but seeing how the T500 originally was a PS3 wheel and both TM and Polyphony went out of their way to make support for GT sport available should have some indication on whats to come.

Also it is literally taken from the manual and not just a statement.
Many other PS4 racing games still support T500 , GTS not the only one

Last edited:
You forget the T-GT was developed in conjunction with Polyphony. So that chance is quite big that support will continue.
There is a small off chance that the PS5 will not support the wheel (like G25/27, DFGT, CSW etc.) but that is unlikely (not impossible). Also the PS3 had a cell processor based OS.

Before June 2016 , all the Wheels compatibility depend on game developers (Sony said) , just like Project Cars 1 or previous F1 games , they are native support CSW (PC mode) on PS4 , so I think it’s all about Sony

Hi Thomas, seem thrustmaster have good relationship with Sony or PD , you can see last gen steering wheel T500rs still support many PS4 games and why Logitech DFGT can’t ?

Of course we also have a good relationship to Polyphony and Polyphony is a very powerful studio. I just question that they can influence the architecture of a console system for any console in the future to make their GT wheels compatible.

The PS4 and steering wheels in perticular are an exception when it comes to compatibility as it was possible to use both unlicensed as well as licensed wheels (without and with security chip) on the PS4. Our CSW V2 is compatible and fully supported by some PS4 titles as well for example.

Let's see what PS5 will bring. At some point Sony will reveil it and we all know more. We try everything to make our PS4 products compatible to PS5 but keep in mind that the current security system does not prevent loopholes to use adapters for example. This might be something that Sony dislikes and changes the security system. This is just a personal observation and assumption, though.

Back