Will current PS4-compatible racing wheels be compatible with the PS5?

but keep in mind that the current security system does not prevent loopholes to use adapters for example. This might be something that Sony dislikes and changes the security system.
If they changed the security system and this makes the PS4 wheels obsolete (impossible to use on PS5) there will be a lot of angry people which will switch to a PC, like the last time.

Last edited:
T500RS is official wheel for GT5/PS3 and is officially supported in GTSport which is on PS4. Why do you think they will not do the same with the T-GT?

Logitech DFGT is the official wheel of GT5P and it's not supported on GTS.

That's what keeping me away to buy another wheel since my son broke my T500.
I was planning to get a TV this month to use only for gamming and at the end of the year get a Gamming PC, and then the PS5(because i love to play the PS exclusive games).
But now, i really don't know what to do.

If i buy a wheel at the end of this gen and it don't get recognized on the next one, i would be really pissed.

Logitech DFGT is the official wheel of GT5P and it's not supported on GTS.

That's what keeping me away to buy another wheel since my son broke my T500.
I was planning to get a TV this month to use only for gamming and at the end of the year get a Gamming PC, and then the PS5(because i love to play the PS exclusive games).
But now, i really don't know what to do.

If i buy a wheel at the end of this gen and it don't get recognized on the next one, i would be really pissed.

Their licensedeal ended after GT 5, while Thrustmaster have continued their licensing deal.

Their licensedeal ended after GT 5, while Thrustmaster have continued their licensing deal.

I remember Logitech said that they will leave the consoles market and then they come up with the G29 from nowhere.
I really liked the T500, pretty solid and reliable wheel.

The Fanatec with the CSL is amazing, the problem is that i had all the TM's ecosystem ready...
Probably i'll hold a little bit. There's a new brazilian DD wheel that's about to be revealed, probably tomorrow. I've heard from a simracer who is testing the wheel that's gone be PS4 compatible.

But i won't put my hopes high until anything official comes up.

I don’t see why they would not be compatible. If games will be compatible, why not wheels? Especially something like a CSL or Thrustmaster T-GT?

I don’t see why they would not be compatible. If games will be compatible, why not wheels? Especially something like a CSL or Thrustmaster T-GT?
There is a chance that PS4 hardware being used on PS5 may only work for PS4 games - Until Sony confirm one way or the other I would not assume that my current wheel will work with PC3 or GT Sport 2 or whatever.

No it isn't. What's ridiculous is the amount of pointless speculation that takes place on this website.
Nothing ridiculous about trying to understand the longevity of our Racing Peripherals. Wheels sets are not cheap my friend. Those of us who owned the Logitech G25 and made the transition from Ps3 to Ps4 know and understand the frustration of having to purchase new Racing Peripheral due to corporate greed. But I personally think Thrustmaster and Fanatec are NOT going to go for the money grab that Logitech did. I think that Thrustmaster and Fanatec would purchase the licensing for PS5 compatibility if it were required for all of their customers who already made the investment in the Thrustmaster and Fanatec Eco-Systems. Both corporations have invested a lot into their Racing Peripherals, and it would be stupid for them to leave their customers locked out over a simple licencing issue. I see no reason to distrust Fanatec or Thrustmaster. Do any of you?

In this boat right now. My T300 up and died on Monday. Trying to figure out if I just buy a new servo for it or pull the trigger and upgrade to the t-gt or the csl elite. If I upgrade leaning towards t-gt cuz I’m pretty sure if either will work it would be that one. Ugh. Decisions.

If a new steering wheel will come out which is dedicated for new-generation consoles such as the PS5, I wonder how much it would cost over current steering wheels when they were also new back then.

After selling my PS4 and custom rig a while ago. Im waiting to do a new build.
Would love to splash out on some Fanatec gear now but would love some certainty around PS5 compatability....

If i have to wait. I wait

To see in the future you need to look in the past. I remember my bold boiling when Ms didn't support my brand new csr wheel. I think t300 t500 tgt are the only wheels going to work with ps5. Don't hold your breath for Fanatec products. I just bought a full clubsport setup and don't care what Sony will do. Next gt will be out probably after 4-5 years. By then next drivehub will be out there too. Everything else is also on PC.

2013 was PS4 released. 2017 gt sport. That's 3-4 years. Gt5 took even Langer I think.

PD are now operating to a new model. In the past GT5 and GT6 were released as complete games. GTS was released as a cutdown game with ongoing upgrades which enabled it to release a year or two early. this new model should allow the replacement for GTS to release much earlier in the next console cycle (maybe even near the start). Without this change of model GTS might have missed the PS4 altogether.

At the top of that page, it says the wheel is for PC and PS4. So my interpretation of their comment about support for future GT games is that they are referring only to future GT games on the supported platforms. If they intended otherwise, the supported platforms would be listed as PC and "PS4 and later" or similar wording.
In the licensing it states ''PlayStation® Official Licensed Product'', not just PS 4, and with the T500 being compatible with Gt 5, 6 and Sport on both PS 3 and PS 4 I'd think there's a fair chance the T-GT will be PS 5 compatible. Also, with PS 5 said to be backwards compatible it should support GT Sport... so there's that too.

Wheels are just far too expensive to keep having to buy a new one every console generation ,and the PS 4 doesn't seem to have anywhere near the issues of it's predecessor so hopefully all PS 4 compatible wheels will work with PS 5 or it's not hard to foresee a mass exodus of wheel users to PC.

In the licensing it states ''PlayStation® Official Licensed Product'', not just PS 4, and with the T500 being compatible with Gt 5, 6 and Sport on both PS 3 and PS 4 I'd think there's a fair chance the T-GT will be PS 5 compatible. Also, with PS 5 said to be backwards compatible it should support GT Sport... so there's that too.

Wheels are just far too expensive to keep having to buy a new one every console generation ,and the PS 4 doesn't seem to have anywhere near the issues of it's predecessor so hopefully all PS 4 compatible wheels will work with PS 5 or it's not hard to foresee a mass exodus of wheel users to PC.
I'm not saying they won't be compatible, just that I don't see their published material as promising compatibility. Official PS Licensed Product just means it's PS4 compatible:

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/explore/ps4/accessories/

"What are Officially Licensed Products?
Only peripherals which bear the Sony Interactive Entertainment trademarks and authorised by Sony Interactive Entertainment are guaranteed to have full compatibility with PS4."

I'm not saying they won't be compatible, just that I don't see their published material as promising compatibility. Official PS Licensed Product just means it's PS4 compatible:

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/explore/ps4/accessories/

"What are Officially Licensed Products?
Only peripherals which bear the Sony Interactive Entertainment trademarks and authorised by Sony Interactive Entertainment are guaranteed to have full compatibility with PS4."
Official PS Licensed Product means just that... Playstation compatible and licensed to be used with PS products, not just PS 4 compatible. The T500 was marketed as the official wheel for GT 5/6 and PS 3 (with no mention of PS 4), and also carried the ''PlayStation® Official Licensed Product'' label, and when all other PS 3 wheels were disallowed with PS 4 the T500 wasn't. Not concrete but promising when it's for other future GT games as well, and doesn't state ''only future GT games on PS 4''.

From the T-GT manual,

And other future GT games.png

Edit, just to try and be clearer : When you first said,
If they intended otherwise, the supported platforms would be listed as PC and "PS4 and later" or similar wording.
what I was meaning is that this has been done before and they (T500) weren't listed like that, it was listed as PC and PS 3 compatible but it was PS 4 and GT Sport compatible. They might not even know the next gen consoles name at the time of the wheels release so it's pretty hard to include it. At least we know it's been done before :) .
Untitled.png

Last edited:
what I was meaning is that this has been done before and they (T500) weren't listed like that, it was listed as PC and PS 3 compatible but it was PS 4 and GT Sport compatible. They might not even know the next gen consoles name at the time of the wheels release so it's pretty hard to include it.
I'm referring to this bit of the website:

tgtwebsite.jpg

I can't see any interpretation whereby this can be seen as promising to support Playstations after the PS4. Yes, it may well turn out to be supported, but if it didn't, and you tried to take them to court, claiming you were promised it would be supported, I'd expect you to lose, as it seems clear it's only promising PC and PS4 support.

I'm referring to this bit of the website:

View attachment 874394

I can't see any interpretation whereby this can be seen as promising to support Playstations after the PS4. Yes, it may well turn out to be supported, but if it didn't, and you tried to take them to court, claiming you were promised it would be supported, I'd expect you to lose, as it seems clear it's only promising PC and PS4 support.
Neither of us know if they will or won't, and in my original statement I said ''so hopefully all PS 4 compatible wheels will work with PS 5 or it's not hard to foresee a mass exodus of wheel users to PC.'' and in my next statement I said ''Not concrete but promising'' so I'm not sure what you're trying to prove to me. I'm just pointing out that the circumstance you described with your ''PS4 and later'' comment has happened before with a positive outcome for Thrustmaster owners.

Neither of us know if they will or won't, and in my original statement I said ''so hopefully all PS 4 compatible wheels will work with PS 5 or it's not hard to foresee a mass exodus of wheel users to PC.'' and in my next statement I said ''Not concrete but promising'' so I'm not sure what you're trying to prove to me. I'm just pointing out that the circumstance you described with your ''PS4 and later'' comment has happened before with a positive outcome for Thrustmaster owners.
I wasn't trying to prove anything to you, my first post was in response to someone else, and if you read the thread up to that point, there appeared to be people who were interpreting some statements by Thrustmaster as promises/guarantees that the T-GT will work with future Playstation consoles. It was this interpretation, by people other than you, that I was disagreeing with. I'm not saying it won't work, or even that it is likely to not work, I'm purely disagreeing with the interpretation of Thrustmaster's statements as guaranteeing that it will work.

I wasn't trying to prove anything to you, my first post was in response to someone else, and if you read the thread up to that point, there appeared to be people who were interpreting some statements by Thrustmaster as promises/guarantees that the T-GT will work with future Playstation consoles. It was this interpretation, by people other than you, that I was disagreeing with. I'm not saying it won't work, or even that it is likely to not work, I'm purely disagreeing with the interpretation of Thrustmaster's statements as guaranteeing that it will work.
The post you first quoted was just pointing out to Thomas a second source of where the information had come from, and no one said it was guaranteed, just that it was highly likely based on events from the past (and with the added first time stated "future GT games"). ;)

Back