Will ever exist a GT game with more than 2000 cars?

• Thread starter MadMax97
  • 30 comments
Italy
Italy
Maybe GT9 importing all cars from gt8 and gt7, gt7 maybe with updates can get 800 cars gt8 imports all of them adding 300-400 new ones and GT9 importing all the cars in the PS6 from PS5 games and already start with 1,400 at launch including new cars during development, plus adding other 200 new cars with DLC's and patch and then GT10 on PS7 FINALLY IMPORT EVERYTHING from previous games plus new 300 cars and they get 2000+cars in GT10!!! With more than 200 tracks too!

Is my prediction realistic for the future?

Highly unlikely. Even if you ignore the modelling speed requirements it doesn't make any sense from a developers perspective.

A game doesn't need that many cars to sell well. You don't put time, effort and money into something that isn't going to make you any more in return.
Cars have to be licensed, that costs money, and as gaming popularity increases, so does the demands from license holders. Plus they may simply not even want certain models in the games any more, if they want to promote newer models instead.

This mostly just links back into point one though, why spend all that extra when a game with 1000 or even 500 cars will likely sell just as well?

PD could hire/outsource 500 extra modellers tomorrow and get that many in GT7 if they wanted, but it's unlikely to ever be a goal for them or any developer.

Well, if a GT in future might reach that amount I think would sell more because people love simulation games where also a part from realism and gameplay want also a big quantity of cars treating the game as a car encyclopedia for car lovers? I mean, the game could attract more car lovers at the end who would dislike such amount of cars when they know that their favourite cars most likely feature in the game? because, more cars are in game more probability that most people will have their favourite cars in it, and who loves every car in the world of every type I think would help a lot the sales, it's not crucial as sounds, physics, career progression, online, polish experience and such things but I think it affect the sales as well, because 2000 cars means a huge variety that if they are even done with quality I think people would rather buy the game with more ease than seeing just 500 cars of same quality and effort? Quality is important, but also quantity!

For example take GT5 and GT6 with over 1,000 cars they sold still very well, and PD definitely earned a lot by them, people love GT4 and GT5 even because of the quantity of vehicles and tracks, so with everything good GT7 and GT8 will have adding even huge car rooster and many tracks it's only icing on the cake for an already delicious cake right? I mean, is not crucial but is important it's a game about collecting cars and drive as many cars that in real life you will probably never drive, I think the encyclopedia factor is important in a game such GT

I think GT10 will probably have 6 photorealistic tracks and 20 photorealistic cars. All with photorealistic sounds and photorealistic handling. ;)

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Last edited:
2,000 cars? Yes but half of them would be Skylines and MX-5's.

To be honest, are there actually that many cars in the world worth putting in a game?

For example take GT5 and GT6 with over 1,000 cars they sold still very well, and PD definitely earned a lot by them

But are there millions of people out there that didn't buy it because 1000 wasn't enough? Highly unlikely.

It's just not going to be worth it. Businesses wouldn't last very long if they just gave people far more than is needed or expected.

I think GT10 will probably have 6 photorealistic tracks and 20 photorealistic cars. All with photorealistic sounds and photorealistic handling. ;)
That photorealisitic handling, can't beat it :lol:

Then so the maximum possible would be 1400 range for GT7 including all cars imported from earlier games, patch, dlc's and duplicates providing that they support game for entire gen, maybe less duplicates and more proper new models and cars from every other GT game (a vast majority) would fit in:D

There are believe me. There are thousands the list would be infinite
Went and checked how far the car suggestions got so far. Holy moly there are way more than 9500 cars there. 2000 cars could barely covered a fifth of that list.

Most amount of GT cars with same quality was in GT4 with 722. For Premium ones in PS3 as they work on it; GT5 had 275, and GT6 has 447. We haven't even break 1000, let alone 2000...

To be honest, are there actually that many cars in the world worth putting in a game?
Without any duplicates, GT6 still has 1064 cars btw. Also it's worth putting, GT is an automotive appreciation. Kaz is a car nut. That's why there's cars from every decade in the game. He put in that elaborate intro showcasing the production and history of the automobile as well as included all of those historical cards in that one section. One of the main appeal of GT back in the day, is playable "useless" cars. GT isn't like games that only includes the latest and greatest dream cars and the like.

Then so the maximum possible would be 1400 range for GT7 including all cars imported from earlier games, patch, dlc's and duplicates providing that they support game for entire gen, maybe less duplicates and more proper new models and cars from every other GT game (a vast majority) would fit in:D
Nope, T10 wasn't even able to reach a thousand cars throughout the entirety of this generation and they are one of the most efficient dev out there.

Nope, T10 wasn't even able to reach a thousand cars throughout the entirety of this generation and they are one of the most efficient dev out there.
Of course they could do it but never would do it. They have a release date they must make and they have DLC to sell you. It is not in their interest.

I think so, especially if you get into very interesting variants of cars being alongside other variants. So for example, the BMW M3 (E46) and the BMW M3 (E46) GTR, and/or the CSL variant. Even for the aforementioned Skylines and Miatas, I think there could be tons of variants that would be well-received if they were carefully picked, instead of just differing by model year or market (e.g. JDM vs. USDM). In that regard, I could see something like the Miata ND 30th Anniversary Edition being added.

For Skylines, I'd at least add the beautiful coach-built BLRA-3, and one of the two successors after that seen in the PS2-era (perhaps the S54), as well as some of the other Skylines without the GT-R label, like the R30 and R31. This is of course in addition to the famed R30 Super Silhouette, among other variants.

I trust PD's more recent choices, such as how in GT Sport, there's only one GT-R from the 2016 Super GT GT500 season, whereas in the PS3 era, there'd be multiple cars from the same season, with different liveries being the only notable difference. So I could see more interesting variants being added, rather than ones that only have a different sponsor, such as how there are indeed two GT-R R35s from Super GT GT500 in GT Sport, but they have notable differences in both aesthetics and their engines.

Last edited:
Yes, as progress slows down in the semi conductor space. There'll be much less need to re-do game assets. The poly counts on cars are already excellent. The only improvement I see will be in texture quality for interior materials etc (and car sounds). So what do you do when you need to sell a game that doesn't look crazy different from its predecessor? You add more content; cars that came out during the recent years and maybe some classics too. With outsourcing at PD now a thing, 200 cars every 3 years is easily doable, maybe more. So yes, eventually there will be a game with that many cars, could even be within the next decade. And it's likely that it'll have car models from the PS4 era. I have taken models out of modern racing games and put them into good render engines like octane and they look absolutely stunning and cars in GT Sport are much more detailed than that.

The tracks are probably another generation away from being perfect from a polygon count/detail perspective. It's just going to be renderer improvements after that. So every new game will have more content and every new console generation will have new experiences built around that content (Stuff that hasn't been invented yet, stuff like VR, 3D in the past - maybe things like smell, artificial G-Force sensation etc.). Graphical improvements will most likely be focused around renderers getting more and more physically accurate as time goes by and we need something like the raytracing power of the RTX 3090 multiplied by 100 to see the diminishing returns on the raytracing side.

Anybody can say what they want but for them to show gameplay in June of the game, that HAS to be a good sign. Not just gameplay but of the menu too! :eek:👍

Well, if PD buys a sweatshop of 100 talented Indian modelers, that’d be about 400 cars per year, and about 4 years to add to what’s in GTS (and what I project to be in GT7), and bring the total count to the 2000 mark.

I really doubt PD has done or will do anything to that scale. It sounds like we may have an uptick in content turnout rate, but 2000 is quite a number, and you never know if PD will raise their bar of minimum quality standards again, dumping out a lot of their list.

Also, does anyone have 2000 cars specifically in mind?

It would be cool to have a Gran Turismo game that centered around those procedurally generated cars that PD were playing around with years ago. Maybe that would be a way to get a GT-style game that had over 2,000 (albeit fictional) cars in a sci-fi setting. It would be interesting to see what kinds of car classes/types would be in that sort of game.

Oh man, imagine a GT-style game with the aesthetics of Wipeout or something similar. That would be so cool and something nobody's ever done before. A sort of ground-based sci-fi racing game with somewhat realistic physics.

Screen-Shot-2018-09-11-at-12.44.22-AM.png

Last edited:
Well, if PD buys a sweatshop of 100 talented Indian modelers, that’d be about 400 cars per year, and about 4 years to add to what’s in GTS (and what I project to be in GT7), and bring the total count to the 2000 mark.

I really doubt PD has done or will do anything to that scale. It sounds like we may have an uptick in content turnout rate, but 2000 is quite a number, and you never know if PD will raise their bar of minimum quality standards again, dumping out a lot of their list.

Also, does anyone have 2000 cars specifically in mind?
It can be possible, in a future Gran Turismo even after what's offered on the PS5, theoretically, if you combine every Premium car we've seen so far in GT5, GT6 and GT Sport, as well as every possible car from the Forza series that isn't exclusive to them, but this would mean a lot of licensing, modeling and outsourcing to do. But either way, you're looking at at least 2,000 cars, or something close to it.

However, some cars in Forza that are exclusive to them, such as:
  • Hoonigan cars
  • LEGO Speed Champions cars
  • Barrett-Jackson cars
  • Fictional cars from Fallout, Final Fantasy and Halo
  • Forza/Xbox-sponsored race cars
  • Cars original to Forza (Chevy/Dodge/Ford stock cars in Motorsports 3 and 4, a Super GT-style Hyundai Genesis and even tuned cars from Motorsports 1 and 2 that aren't even proper project vehicles - just cars with special body kits and fictitious liveries with near-default or fictitious specs)
  • Modern Formula 1 cars that are in (or were) in Forza

However, in order to do that, in this theory, this would require Polyphony to have an astronomical budget and plenty of connections to do the outsourcing, licensing and modeling, as well as having to make many deals with plenty of motorsports-governing bodies, car culture organizations and more (heck, even Universal Studios for authentic Fast & Furious cars, which Slightly Mad have wasted their license on). They will also need to have more manpower and to set up shop in more locations for these purposes, and plus, those for quality check.

Last edited:
Maybe GT9 importing all cars from gt8 and gt7, gt7 maybe with updates can get 800 cars gt8 imports all of them adding 300-400 new ones and GT9 importing all the cars in the PS6 from PS5 games and already start with 1,400 at launch including new cars during development, plus adding other 200 new cars with DLC's and patch and then GT10 on PS7 FINALLY IMPORT EVERYTHING from previous games plus new 300 cars and they get 2000+cars in GT10!!! With more than 200 tracks too!

Yes*.

*with a return to PS4 graphics and all car & track licences in tact

Well, you also have to consider licensing, you know? That's one of the main reason why a lot of cars from previous GTs aren't included in recent titles. The cost of having 2000 cars is just enormous.

Well, you also have to consider licensing, you know? That's one of the main reason why a lot of cars from previous GTs aren't included in recent titles. The cost of having 2000 cars is just enormous.
So true, there is a cost to every car included. Even in the few cases where a manufacturer won't charge a license fee for certain models the overheads to build that car into the game are a factor.

Their priority should be quality over quantity. I’m obviously not saying the car count should not increase going forward, but 2000 cars seems like a completely unnecessary target when previous efforts to surpass 1000 resulted in a myriad of regional duplicates. Besides, the promise of future proof car models is something we have heard more than once before. Let’s hold our horses.

Their priority should be quality over quantity. I’m obviously not saying the car count should not increase going forward, but 2000 cars seems like a completely unnecessary target when previous efforts to surpass 1000 resulted in a myriad of regional duplicates. Besides, the promise of future proof car models is something we have heard more than once before. Let’s hold our horses.
No efforts done for 1000, it was only 275 for GT5, and 447 for GT6, talking for Premiums. The rest are all standard cars. The fact is because of quality over quantity process, less Premiums can be created, as they're focused on future proof before on those rather than going for balanced quality and quantity. And GT6 has 1064 cars without counting any duplicates. Also the duplicates are exempt for Premiums for the most time.

Sure. They'd use pathetic old pixelated standard cars with a black shade instead of cockpit camera.
That was the lowest point in Polyphony Digital's history. So embarrassing, for them and for us.

Remember, when Gran Turismo started out, each Car took only about a day to make. Then it became a month, now it's 3 whole months, maybe even half a year if there is enough detail.

I already gave up hoping for even the 1350 mark to be broken this year or even the next.

I guess 500 mark at launch getting to 1,000 end of updates until PS6 releases, at best! At least hoping they will don't be too much duplicates and more different actual models of cars, many europeans and american car models that previously we didn't see

I guess 500 mark at launch getting to 1,000 end of updates until PS6 releases, at best! At least hoping they will don't be too much duplicates and more different actual models of cars, many europeans and american car models that previously we didn't see

I don’t think we’ll see the post-release content updates for GT7 like we have for GT Sport - at least not to the same high degree. Reason being that GT Sport needed more value at no additional cost, whereas GT7 probably will have a reasonable content lineup at launch. Previous numbered entries didn’t get a whole lot of DLC after all. Then again, times change so who knows what the future brings.

Back