Will "Grid" do what PD havent yet

  • Thread starter Thread starter thedeester1
  • 55 comments
  • 3,991 views
Messages
419
United Kingdom
South Yorkshire
Messages
GTP_Thedeester1
Ive always been a hardcore GT fan but i saw the advert for "Grid" tonight and I was tempted. There was a car crashing and rolling with damage!!!..There were street and tracks. From what i gathered there seems to be multiple performance levels too. I have to be honest...Im a UK player...i own every car and when i play online i cant win anymore cash...there are 3 golds i still cant get and im bored of trying. Ive been a promoter of the white list and an enemy of the black list (for sporting reasons), but have to say GT5p has its flaws online. Should I go to the "Grid"?
 
There's a free demo at the PS store. And the answer is "No." Once you race Grid a few times you'll know why.
 
Sure, why not. One can never have to many racing games. Gran turismo is the king, but a king has to have peasants to serve under him. I played the demo for grid, and it was fun. Different, but fun. The 900 degree steering on the g25 is daunting at first. You really have to turn the wheel in grid. I didn't get use to it on the demo, but I really didn't play it that much.
You can always come back to GT after the updates and added material. Why not enjoy something different for awhile.

One thing I did notice about grid that I liked, was how the suspensions felt. When you hit a hole, or get air in the car you really seem to feel it. The car will bottom out and make an awful crashing sound. It was a nice effect really. It added a sense of speed that gt lacks. I hope pd adds this in the full gt5.
 
No way. I played the Grid demo and the car physics are very arcade like and there's a lot of drifting, cars feel very light too.
 
Should I go to the "Grid"?
This probably depends on how old you are.

If you are under, say 9, I say GO FOR IT!!!!!!!! You will LOVE it!!!!!!!!
 
GRID is an abortion...... just rubbish. No use looking at a shiny turd and saying "it's so shiny and pretty"..... when underneath it's ....
 
I remember reading a preview about this game and thought it would be pretty cool. After downloading the demo and playing it for about 5 minutes, I deleted the demo. I feel like I should be playing this game at my local mall arcade. PD can and will do better on the full on GT5.
 
Ive always been a hardcore GT fan but i saw the advert for "Grid" tonight and I was tempted. There was a car crashing and rolling with damage!!!..There were street and tracks. From what i gathered there seems to be multiple performance levels too. I have to be honest...Im a UK player...i own every car and when i play online i cant win anymore cash...there are 3 golds i still cant get and im bored of trying. Ive been a promoter of the white list and an enemy of the black list (for sporting reasons), but have to say GT5p has its flaws online. Should I go to the "Grid"?

Why don't you try racing with all the car's online I'm pretty sure you haven't
 
It's subjective. Download the demo and try it out. You will answer your own question.

But being a hardcore fan, I doubt that you're going to love GRID. I don't. I played GRID demo over and over again to see if it's any good, or that I will start to love it. And the answer is: noooooooooooooooooooo!

I'm going to remove the GRID demo from the PS3.
 
I'm going to remove the GRID demo from the PS3.

Removed it from my HDD within an hour of downloading it........ it is not worthy of a place inside my PS3.
 
Gran turismo is the king, but a king has to have peasants to serve under him.
Wow. Did you really just make that analogy?

This probably depends on how old you are.

If you are under, say 9, I say GO FOR IT!!!!!!!! You will LOVE it!!!!!!!!
Oh, the irony...

osg
No use looking at a shiny turd and saying "it's so shiny and pretty"..... when underneath it's ....
Careful, now. "lol that game has good graphics and nothing else" isn't the best argument for a Gran Turismo fan to make. :lol:



Anyway, thedeester1, I'd recommend checking out the GRID thread in the Games in General forum. If you'd like to see what I had to say about the demo, I shared my opinion on the top of the 17th page.
 
Careful, now. "lol that game has good graphics and nothing else" isn't the best argument for a Gran Turismo fan to make. :lol:

do you really think that Gran Turismo series is shallow in terms of longevity and heavy on the wow factor?????..... and that GRID is worthy of an extended play? I suggest you go look again.... although at 21 years old today you wouldn't have understood the significance of Gran Turismo when it was released back in the late 90's.

I'm not a hardcore GT fan, i beleive that RFactor, GTR2, Forza et al are equal if not superior to GT5P...... i just don't have thousands to build my perfect PC to play them.
 
If they did a remake of TOCA2 (PSX) I would definitly buy 👍
 
If they did a remake of TOCA2 (PSX) I would definitly buy 👍

Ditto. I'd be happy playing a simulation of the current BTCC, and all the support events just like TOCA2 included.

Interesting to see how many people have downloaded and then deleted the GRID demo - I did exactly the same.
 
Well i think the game looks ok, and the damage on the cars and track is really well done. Although the handling sucks, it drives like crap and ain't much realistic.

GT5: physics + handeling + cars + graphics with Grid: cardamage + trackdamage = the perfect race game :D
 
Ok Guy's..

the Only thing grid is good for, when comparing GT5 with it, or Vers versa, is too understand, that if PD release Damage and crashing technoligy with GT5, then most people driving it, will spend more time crashing, and making damage, instead of racing with all the rules in your head.. I'm really affraid to say this, but to be very realistic about the question, if Grid approach is good for GT5, the Answer would be NO!

It's a pidy though, because in real life, your car will brake up, and get quite damaged when hitting barrier or cars or even small jumps, and to see it and feel it, is the ultimate experience of real driving, But can we be mature enough to have these things around us, Hmm that is really the question...

With the GTP_team approach, we have a big chance of pulling this of, So my hope is that with damage and braking the car up, will be expensive for the one that coast it, and of course the one that suffers from it.. But again will it ruin the GT5.. as we love ..

Grid has some good stuff though, the Overall Ambient sound and spectators involving with jelling and screaming is awesome, the tens of the replay cameras is awesome, and very action like, the idea of Night races is Yammy, and the City track is quite nice too..

Otherwise it's better then Dirt, but still it's a Arcade game, wit Fun sprouts in it, Just play a single race, and you'll see the chaotic way the race is ment to be, so yes the online driving isn't the best experience because of stuppid people ruin the real race idea, and have none what so ever, feel for real driving, just crashing the ****ing game for others, But Agin the singleplayer looks like that too.. Codemasters will have some big issues trying to get the rule system to work, so they can say, that they have created a Good racer game, But Not A Simulator, that's for sure.. as the demo shows us, it wont last for long..

SO last from me in this treat... PD please make the damage and braking in to something very expensive for the one's that creates the Chaos and ruin the day, ortherwise leave it out, Gt5 will still be the One Simulator to beat.. you got us already !!

Dream Extreme
Flagmo-T..
 
Different, but fun. The 900 degree steering on the g25 is daunting at first. You really have to turn the wheel in grid. I didn't get use to it on the demo...
Did you get the g25 to work with GRID? I'd like to try it.

I tried the demo when it came out, played it for a short while and felt a slightly different "DiRT" experience, it felt more or less like DiRT cars with
a little too much engine-power for the game physics engine model to handle.

Remember GRiD is an earlyish demo, I consider it quite alike to GTHD which was but... lala.

/tinker
 
osg
although at 21 years old today you wouldn't have understood the significance of Gran Turismo when it was released back in the late 90's.
(Although it was directed to Wolfe) I don’t quite understand this comment. He wouldn’t have understood GT1’s significance, because he was too young, or…?

As for Grid… no, don’t get it. It’s basically a great looking game, hugely let down by its amazingly bad physics (Just like ‘Dirt’, which I returned back to the store within hours after buying). It’s a real shame, coming from Codemasters. They gave me some of my all-time favourite games on the PS1, like Toca Touring car championship, Toca 2, etc.

As doblocruiser said, A re-make of TOCA 2 would be great. Maybe a championship mode which can be played from 1997 to 2007. 👍
 
All that i shall say is.
GT5: The DRIVING simulator
GRiD: The DAMAGE simulator
 
Ive always been a hardcore GT fan but i saw the advert for "Grid" tonight and I was tempted. There was a car crashing and rolling with damage!!!..There were street and tracks. From what i gathered there seems to be multiple performance levels too. I have to be honest...Im a UK player...i own every car and when i play online i cant win anymore cash...there are 3 golds i still cant get and im bored of trying. Ive been a promoter of the white list and an enemy of the black list (for sporting reasons), but have to say GT5p has its flaws online. Should I go to the "Grid"?
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: GT5 should do things that are in line with Yamauchi-san's vision, not Codemasters' ...
 
@ thedeester1 ( Grid online isn't a good experience, Gt5 can be)

The status for me on a good online race.
Grid 1/10 --- > Only 1 out 10 is like it should be, Codemaster haven't got any idea to solve it, not for what we can understand out of the Demo..

GT5 5/10 --- > This is a better status for me, and it's gonna be better, we know that this issue is a very important part of GT5 developing Teams quest for this SIM..

Dream ON!!
Flagmo-T
 
I like DiRT so I'm gonna kinda hold my full opinion on it as a 'game'. It's not a sim so I don't even think if it in terms of GT at all. It's like Burnout, you don't play that for the racing experience.

I'm wondering about how on the demo they say it's not representative of the final version. I wonder how far from the final version it really is? You wouldn't think they would have put a total junky demo out for people to play, kinda the wrong way to go about that I'd think.

F1 with GRiD damage would be fun to play, much like Burnout is all about totaling the car and blowin' sh$t up. :crazy:
 
Is it really necessary to have yet another GT5P vs GRiD thread when not only do the two games have enough purposeful differences in style, substance, content, and gamplay that such comparisons in terms of which is "better" is rather meaningless?

More importantly, there are already many threads where this is already happening and two lengthy threads that cover this topic rather extensively:
 
wow... amazing. There is so much fanboyism in this thread it hurts... does the word "objectivity" mean anything in here? i mean... at all?

GRID is a very fun game, and definitely more exciting then GT5p at the moment... and yes, that comes from a big fan of the GT series. Like i said in other threads where i feel i need to defend Grid's honor... its a very good game. Its definitely not as sim as GT5, but its a lot of fun and does a lot of things better then GT5p for instance.

Here's a few examples... which might be perceived as "important" in a video game:

* Sounds
* Music
* Damage
* AI (yes AI is very convincing in GRID... and a lot better then GT5p)
* tire marks??? (seems to be important for most of you guys)
* Special Effects


And to answer the original question, YES, it does it better then PD's GT5p... Damage plays a very important role in the game and it just works really well. You get in trouble, you'll have a harder time for the rest of the race. Play well, and you'll come out of tight situations unhurt and have a fairly good advantage over your opponents.

- AS IT SHOULD BE -

Car damage is part of racing, and you guys have had it soo far up your ass with no damage in the GT series, that you can't see that now... If you get totaled in a race, it sucks, but its "realistic", as a race simulator should be... For anyone who says "Car damage is not important" but claim to be kick ass drivers in GTR/2 or rFactor... you guys are full of it.

So you guys decide, pick your side, and stick by it.

GT5p = Realism = Car Damage
That's how the franchise needs to go and apparently that's where its going.
 
GT5 is a DRIVING sim, not a crashing sim either way.

I'd like to see damage but it doesnt make it less of a simulator. But what i really dont want is to be totaled by someone else on the first turn.

Put simply, GT5 is for hardcore petrol heads with lots of spare time and looking for a real DRIVING (not neccessarily racing) experience. GRiD is an arcade racer better suited to more casual players or those looking for quick no nonsense thrills.
 
Grid is a silly little arcade. I don't even bother with arcade games anymore.. Only one i have is the new Burnout since its more of do what you like then racing.
 
RedOak asks:
wow... amazing. There is so much fanboyism in this thread it hurts... does the word "objectivity" mean anything in here? i mean... at all?

-and answers:
- AS IT SHOULD BE -
Fanboyism "should" be rampant on this site, GTPlanet, -all others are just aliens :boggled:

Good one RedOak...
 
GT5 is a DRIVING sim, not a crashing sim either way.

I'd like to see damage but it doesnt make it less of a simulator. But what i really dont want is to be totaled by someone else on the first turn.

Well that's life man... it happens all the time with serious racing clans, real-life racing... its part of the sport, plain and simple. I simply cannot understand how you claim the GT series to be a "real Driving simulator" but you don't want to "get totaled in the first corner"... they are both of the same world... its a sim or its not. Pick one.



Put simply, GT5 is for hardcore petrol heads with lots of spare time and looking for a real DRIVING (not neccessarily racing) experience. GRiD is an arcade racer better suited to more casual players or those looking for quick no nonsense thrills.

Yeah that's fun... so let me get this straight, you ride RACE TRACKS at 60mphs because you like to "DRIVE"?... how about mapping some real roads then... you know? like Test Drive unlimited?

I'm sorry mate, but you want the better of something without the risk... just because... its like taking any sports, but removing injuries... not that injuries are fun, but they are a real factor on the athlete's mind...
 
RedOak asks:


-and answers:

Fanboyism "should" be rampant on this site, GTPlanet, -all others are just aliens :boggled:

Good one RedOak...

Dude you realize what you just did makes absolutely no sens? Taking someone's words and putting them out of context is extremely rude and very juvenile... something this community should be above of...

Now, its all fun that GTplanet is mostly about Gran Turismo x, i get that... but its also one of the most respected place about Racing in General... but going on bashing every other games because they are not as pretty then GT is plain wrong.

People just love to bash at game's faults... but when they do things better then GT tho, well that doesn't count now does it?

If you have an opinion, please do share it... but if you're gonna insult others and say stupid stuff just 'cause you want to make trouble, please, don't. You're wasting everyone's time.
 
Played the Grid Demo - overall impression...... Impressive, especially drifting.

I like.
1. Full Fields of racing series, ETCC is awesome
2. Good but not great damage. Best i've seen so far.
3. Burnouts, massive tire smoke, only thing left is the smell
4. Drifting is good fun, i wont say 100% real but it does have good things to it.

Bad
1. Race physics- especially turning
2. Car feels like its in another world with different tolerances
3. Competition is strange at the way they drive.
 
Back