Will "Grid" do what PD havent yet

  • Thread starter Thread starter thedeester1
  • 55 comments
  • 3,991 views
Well that's life man... it happens all the time with serious racing clans, real-life racing... its part of the sport, plain and simple. I simply cannot understand how you claim the GT series to be a "real Driving simulator" but you don't want to "get totaled in the first corner"... they are both of the same world... its a sim or its not. Pick one.





Yeah that's fun... so let me get this straight, you ride RACE TRACKS at 60mphs because you like to "DRIVE"?... how about mapping some real roads then... you know? like Test Drive unlimited?

I'm sorry mate, but you want the better of something without the risk... just because... its like taking any sports, but removing injuries... not that injuries are fun, but they are a real factor on the athlete's mind...


You said it, its a SIMULATOR, it ISNT real life. It simulates driving, ie how fast you can take a corner, how much grip you have in X car. Yes crashing is a part of racing, and yes i commonly slow down a little and just enjoy driving the car, sometimes in solo runs especially on Eiger.
My point is damage and so on isnt vital to create this experience, if it was this forum probably would never have existed.

I want damage, but the need for it is way overhyped, in real racing if someone totals you theyre probably gonna be totalled themselves or DQed. So how can someone be judged to be black flagged on a game? There's no seperate judge watching to choose.

It'd be nice to have, but im in no rush.
 
My point is damage and so on isnt vital to create this experience, if it was this forum probably would never have existed.

this forum is about racing enthusiasts, not about damage. As for the experience, GT is right now, the probably the only game that doesn't support damage in one way or another on the market, and its a big hole that needs to be filled.

... in real racing if someone totals you theyre probably gonna be totalled themselves or DQed. So how can someone be judged to be black flagged on a game? There's no seperate judge watching to choose.

That's what happens in GRID just sinc we're on the subject (Thread). If you total someone, you're totaled as well in about 95% of the time, and even if not, you're definitely not gonna have a podium finish.

As for black flags, blue flags and so on, some games do it better then others... GT doesn't even do Yellow flags... in fact, GT doesn't do any kind of refering at all... except for that dumb 5 seconds penality... Again something PD could learn from the countless other racers out there.

On a side note, i don't think Grid supports flags in the demo, no idea about the final game tho.
 
I think damage should be in the game at various levels, you want realism then you choose that, want to whip around smashing into things well, choose that. Have it as a selectable option for races you choose online, that would be great.

Like gas milage and tire wear, parts on the cars should be subject to stresses as well. If you're a driver that likes to pop off curbs and drop a wheel to cut a corner then you can expect at some point to have a tire go down, bearings seize up, steering go away or suspension issues. It's part of racing and it would be cool if it was part of the game. 👍

As for not wanting to get knocked out at the start of a race because you tagged something or someone busted your rear wing off, well that's racing.

No one likes that but imagine racing someone that keeps cutting corners on you, you're on the final lap half a second back and bang! He looses a tire because he's been dropping into the dirt and back onto the track, beating on that tire for 20 laps. You'd be happy about the damage system then - right? :)
 
GT5:P rolls over Grid in every case except the damage. Lets hope PD do something like that. 👍 One thing I loved about Grid though, was the awesome smoke effects on the drift trial demonstration. If only the smoke on GT5:P looked like that, and not the fine mist we have at present. 👍

I may buy grid though, because it seems like fun (and therein lies the problem...)
 
I would rather see Damange as in Burnout Paradise then in Grid. Looks more real heh
 
Everyone seems to be in a big hurry to have realistic damage and no boost. Let me spell it out for you - more than half of your races will be over by the first lap. Even a minor shunt will be enough to have an impact in the handling of the car add that to the lack of boost and you have no hope in hell of placing in the race.

As far as I'm concerned once they do away with the boost then a half serious crash, simulated limping car or no will be the end of the race. You drop 10 or 15 secs by spinning into a gravel trap that's it - you aren't going to make that up, in 3 laps, even against an average driver. Add the damage factor to that and are you really going to want the practice of trying shuffling round the track with the front wing hanging off or your steering snapped? What's the point - you're never going to win a race with your car in that condition.

The punters are always going to be there. At least with the current setup if I get shunted into a sandpit I still have the chance (and I've done it many a time) to come back and place in the top 3 by the end of the race. Realistic? Hell no. Realistic would be quitting the race and waiting a couple of minutes to start another.

And that brings up another point - host quits. I'll bet my granny if car damage is added that'll get a lot worse and who could really blame someone who gets his car smashed up by an idiot on T1 of the race for saying "to hell with this - I never asked to be host and I'm damned if I'm waiting 7 and a half minutes until I get a game"

That's the operative word here - "game" yeah it's realistic and all the rest but you "play" this "game" for recreation. I'd rather spend my rather valuable free time racing under current conditions than sitting in a gravel trap looking at the a bunch of twisted metal for 7+minutes at a time.

Careful what you wish for people ...
 
..sitting in a gravel trap looking at the a bunch of twisted metal for 7+minutes at a time...

That would be kinda funny, having to sit in the trap while the lift comes to get you out, as long as you aren't wrecked, all the while watching everyone else go by. Maybe they'll have the horns working so they can honk their horns at you! And there would also be a corner yellow so it would be really slow, time would drag, all the while you'd be gripping your wheel cursing and swearing, trying to kick the cat. That's when your GF comes in and well, that's the end of racing for the day for you. :scared:

That would be nasty...I think for health and other reasons they should go easy on the damage maybe after all. :ouch:
 
So GT has better:

AI?
Sounds?
SFX?

Out of those three I'd say sounds was awesome, the best of any GT game. SFX are nigh on none existent - though I have seen grass 'wafting' as cars drive past at speed. I guess you could call that SFX.

As for the AI, its growing on me. Well it has since I have adopted a clean driving style, and not just barrelled through the grid like I used to. It may sound odd, but racing online has given me a lot more respect for the AI.

When I said rolls over, I was talking about the cars in the game, the quality of the graphics, and the depth of the simulation. I have said bad things in respect to those parts of the game in recent posts, but that's comparing Gran Turismo to my 'idea' of Gran Turismo. You can't compare Gran Turismo to any other game, because there is no comparison that can be made.

All these racing games that are coming out, seem to be goading PD into trying to match them. PGR3 or 4 with the bikes (I forget), Forza with its super deep simulation style thing, and now Grid with its drifting and crash damage. Add to that the expectations of millions of fans, and PD have an almost impossible task at hand! I'm willing to reserve judgement until the final victory, but I do feel that PD need to slap down the competition a little with a killer feature in GT5:P. 👍
 
I do feel that PD need to slap down the competition a little with a killer feature in GT5:P. 👍

As good as the rest of the series but with more accurate physics and next gen graphics - I'll settle for that. Anything else is just going to be gimmicks and those wear off quick.
 
Gran Turismo is the Real DRIVING Simulator not the Real Racing Simulator. It has always been able to provide what I think has been the goal of the series; great physics and be able to drive cars that most of the public will never be able to drive in real life at their full potential. Racing and tuning them makes the whole experience complete. It is actually a great teaching tool, at least thats what I used it for.

When the first GT came out I didn't even know half the cars in the game because they weren't available in the US. I had no idea what a Lancer Evolution was, a Toyota Chaser, a Sileighty or heck even a Mazda Demio because I had never seen them before in my life. I got to drive these cars in GT and found them to be impressive in the game so it made me want to drive them in real life. That is what the underlying goal of GT is to me. "To bring you a real to life representation of the performance of the cars on various virtual and real life tracks." I get to drive a Ferrari in GT5:P, how many of us own a Ferrari and can say that its a good drive in real life? How many of us have driven a Ferrari period? I bet you can count the number of people on this site that have with your fingers.

Grid is an arcade racing game. It never claims to be sim or even go for that kind of an experience. It is good for what it is but it just isn't my cup of tea or most anyone else's on this site(as it seems from this thread).
 
Grid is an arcade racing game. It never claims to be sim or even go for that kind of an experience. It is good for what it is but it just isn't my cup of tea or most anyone else's on this site(as it seems from this thread).


I'm sorry to say, but they did say it's gonna be a mix, where people can choose to have it as a SImulator, with the Pro mode, and they also said, there intention is to compete with Forza 2 and GT5 on the market, they even said that DIRT was a Big success, so Sweet talk is what it is...

The problem is with all these Wannabee Race games, that they all have some parts in the games that is like "awesome ideas and stuff", and then the rest of it is like Puub, so all the games together, will probably give the ultimate race game, but that's only in our minds, because the developers is trying to make a game for all gamers, which isn't possible to be a succees..

Grid could be much Fun online, if you can create your own server, with strickly rules to follow, same goes for GT5p, then all these EFX stuff can be useful and used properly for the full experience...

Damn I'm tired ZZZZzzz

Flagmo-T
 
I like Grid for what it is. I like GT5:P for what its is. Thats it. Comparing the two...well....the two games aren't complete, so who cares? Enjoy the games, be glad you have an oportunity to play them. Wait until the final products, then compair them. Have a nice day/night and happy racing!
 
Oh, the irony...
We had a cookout last Saturday night and a couple that came by brought their 7-year old son. He saw my wheel setup, and my PS3 and asked if he could play a racing game. I started up GT5P, but he couldn't reach the pedals, so he played with the Sixaxis instead. He got bored pretty quickly and asked if I had another game.

I loaded up the Grid demo, and he loved it.....demolition derby, total destruction, and not one lap finished, but he was thrilled. If I had known that someone of your ilk was so passionate about this game....I might have invited you over so that both of you could have had a blast.

Well, maybe next time, but please....don't keep your fingers crossed as I have deleted this steaming pile from my PS3.

LOL​
 
Seriously, guys, disliking/hating a game is one thing; disliking/hating a game that isn't trying to be a sim because it isn't a sim? That's just lame. The least you could do is say something along the lines of "oh I don't like arcadey racers but if you do then you might like this."

Next you're all going to start ragging on Ridge Racer because GT5 Prologue's drifting is more realistic...

osg
do you really think that Gran Turismo series is shallow in terms of longevity and heavy on the wow factor?????
Shallow in terms of longevity? Probably not. Heavy on the "wow factor?" Oh yes.

GT4 fit your quote perfectly; a worthless racing game in a pretty wrapping with good graphics and lots of content -- that's why I laughed at what you said. I have yet to play GT5:P myself, so I won't state that it, too, is worthless (everything I've heard points to the opposite), but "wowing" players with its graphics is definitely something PD focused on. It's what they're best at, and what they've concentrated on since GT3.

We had a cookout last Saturday night and a couple that came by brought their 7-year old son. He saw my wheel setup, and my PS3 and asked if he could play a racing game. I started up GT5P, but he couldn't reach the pedals, so he played with the Sixaxis instead. He got bored pretty quickly and asked if I had another game.

I loaded up the Grid demo, and he loved it.....demolition derby, total destruction, and not one lap finished, but he was thrilled. If I had known that someone of your ilk was so passionate about this game....I might have invited you over so that both of you could have had a blast.
"So passionate?" Please. You're trying too hard. Anyway, the irony to which I was referring was the fact that your statement that GRID is only good for nine-year-olds is the type of argument I'd expect from someone that age. :lol:

It may take a mature gamer to appreciate a driving sim, but it takes an even more mature gamer to appreciate both driving sims and arcade racers for what they each have to offer.
 
KY's intention was/is to create a driving simulator that captures the real life driving and racing in a game. He tries to simulate it. And PD does a good job but there is still a loooooooong way to go.


GRID is just and only A GAME. It is nothing more than a arcade-ish game. This doesn't capture real life racing at all, it is too arcade-ish and too much exaggerated for being a simulator. It's created for people whom like arcade racers and have fun playing it.

GRID does some things better than GT5p, like the smoke, like to possibility to make donuts, car damage, etc... .

GT5p is a part of a serie that gets improved by every sequel of the sim to create the ultimate realistic driving sim. Not too realistic though because 90% of the people playing it, world wide, will stop playing it because they can't control the racing cars. It still has to be playable for the majority.

GRID on the other hand is just a stand alone game, not a sim, just a game to give people a lot of fun playing it.


I'm not interested at all in these arcade game, it has to be as realistic as possible. That's why I don't like GRID and I like GT5p but I still have issues with GT5p as well. I hope they will be resolved by the fall update or at least when GT5 comes out.
I'm not a GT fanboy. When I still had a gaming computer (this is my father's pc and not a gaming pc) I was only interested in Simbin's/Blimey!'s GT Legends sim. I didn't even looked at GT4 anymore. GTL was all I cared about. The lack of a gaming pc and the lack of new realistic sims made me turn back my intention to the GT4.

I'm eagerly awaiting information about Blimey!'s new two projects. I think that, at least, project Ferrari will blow GT5 away. If that is so, I think I'm not going to spend € 192 on GT5.




:)
 
if you are like GRID and prefer Graphics and Damage over realistic physics than this game is perfect for you or if you like to play arcade racing games like PGR, Ridge Racer or Mario Kart.
 
Ive played grid and it is no where as good as Gran Turismo. The game is way too arcadey and the handling of the cars is rubbish.
 
Liked the demo but didn't do my homework. Bought GRID yesterday and played one season.
The LeMans 24 can do 12, 24, 60mins, 4 H, 12H, 24H if I remember correct. The big caveat is that there is no Pitstops in the game! So if you want to drive for 24 hours, fine, but you will be doing that for upto 24H strait unless you pause the game. Put mine up for sale. The racing gets boring after a while and the AI sucks even compared to GT5. And no real feeling what the car is doing. (Have a DFP)
 
Grid is rubbish mainly because you cant repair your car if you damage it and asda wont give me a refund :(
 
In a sim you don't want to see damage (unlike Burnout or GRID where it is a big part of the fun of the game). The point of damage (& realistic collision physics) in a sim, is to add realistic consequences to your mistakes when racing. This makes racing much more tense & exciting. The only PS3 game that does this so far is F1:CE, where the damage is not visually thrilling, but its presence does add enormously to the excitement of the racing.
 
The most fun thing I found with this (I've only played the demo mind) is smashing into the deformable tyre barriers, if only GT had this.
 
In a sim you don't want to see damage (unlike Burnout or GRID where it is a big part of the fun of the game). The point of damage (& realistic collision physics) in a sim, is to add realistic consequences to your mistakes when racing. This makes racing much more tense & exciting.

👍

Burnout and GRID revolve around destruction, which is okay. But in GT5:P, I don't want to crash; I want to win the race. I wouldn't have the heart to purposefully drive a Ferrari into a wall just to see how "cool" the damage is. Don't get me wrong, I want damage to be included, but having it as a central part of the game instead of realistic racing would make GT5 just another arcade sim.
 
I'll say this also: driving in F1:CE with terminal damage teaches a lot about driving in traffic. Don't dive into a corner right on somebody's tail. This leaves you helpless to avoid a collision if anything unexpected happens. You want to brake a little early & then have the possibility of adding speed through the corner if you see an opening or a mistake by the other driver.

Of course, this strategy remains dependent on you not getting re-ended as you approach the corner. :rolleyes:
 
Yes i did buy Grid for my son, and what a load of rubbish, G25 not fully supported as regards buttons, and also does not calibrate properly. Also i have to connect the G25 after the game has started for it to be recognised.

However to all them peeps who dont know how to use brakes, and all the punters, GO BUY GRID and eat your heart out, and leave the true racers to enjoy GT5P online. :)
 
i love it!!
maybe because im not sad and can have a laugh!!!its just so much more fun than GT5 and i think the online is so much better with a lobby and everything.And you call yourself true racers that is funny never thought id find true racers on a video game.
 
Back