Will I Have To Give Up Button Mashing?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kylehnat
  • 36 comments
  • 2,647 views

Kylehnat

Z#
Premium
Messages
4,822
United States
Concord, CA
Messages
kylehnat
Those who know me and my unhealthy love of GT know that I much prefer to use my two thumbs to do the driving. I bought a DFP a couple years ago, but it ended up gathering dust. Sure it's fantastic fun, but I just never felt it was an advantage to use. I've always been quicker with the sticks, and the DFP takes precious minutes to set up...time I could be driving instead.

Alas, I fear my thumb-twitching days may be over. I cruised through the first few rungs of GT5P with no problem, and then decided to spend some of those hard-earned credits on a Corvette Z06. After trying to drive it for 20 minutes, I gave up. Driving it felt like trying to balance a pencil on a marble...on ice. Today I plugged in the DFP, and suddenly the car became sublime. I tossed it about with ease, soaking in the V8 surround-sound. In a BMW at the Daytona road course, I lopped 4 seconds off my previous best time.

If Prologue is indicative of the physics used in GT5, I may have to make the switch...permanently :sick:. It seems the cars are too sensitive now. How do you other button-mashers feel? Can GT5 be tamed with the beloved DS3, or is PD in cahoots with Logitech at this point?
 
Well, on Standard Physics, the controller is fine. On Pro, if you're going to use the controller, you're going to need to leave Active Steering and ASM on, particularly for high-powered cars. I may make the big switch over to pedals and wheels, but I wish it wasn't so forced on me.
 
I have only been playing since yesterday, not sure how many hours. I enjoyed the DFP previously...but found I was quick with the dual shock anyway.

Now with GT5P...not sure, will rack up some more laps to come to a conclusion and see if I can buy another wheel for where I live now to see for myself. First impressions however is that with the steering input that goes into Prologue so far....I would bet the wheels are far better...



for the record my hands actually in pain with this ps3 remote after such a short time with GT5P, even my right forearm has a bit of a pain...LOL. Put in perspective that I would run many hours of the 24h races in GT4 on my own with the remote with no issue:nervous:
 
I may make the big switch over to pedals and wheels, but I wish it wasn't so forced on me.

It's not, you can stay with standard physics. I think it's great they give those who want realism the choice to have as much realism as they want...abs..asm..tcm...physics...steering...whatever you want.

More games should do this. I hate when they force you to play in a kind of "standard" physics mode so it can be easy for everyone.
 
I'm playing with the six-axis with professional physics on. I haven't been having any problems so far although I'm only in B class right now. It'll probably be more difficult later on without a wheel but since I can't afford it I'll have to make due.
 
lollls kylehnat its about time...the wheels are so much more precise in input.
 
I was fine with the Six Axis also, up until I needed to get the A Class races done, the one requiring me to use American Muscle! Obviously, my thumb is to heavy on the x button and I kick the rear out way too often.

I've always wanted to purchase a wheel, and just needed an excuse to do so. Well, I honestly tried not to have to spend cash on a wheel, but I think it almost necesitates it with GT5P. I ordered the G25, it'll be here on Tuesday.

Now I have to talk myself out of having to order one of those Racing Wheel Seat Setups!
 
Using the triggers instead of the buttons for brake/acceleration help, but a wheel is definitely needed if you want to be smooth and fast. One of the faster cars, particularly the Amuse S2000 that I've tried so far, is ridiculous with the controller...
 
I used the sixaxis with sticks and triggers all the way through, managed 35 license tests with pro physics, on the rest needed to revert to standard. Not really because I couldn't keep the cars on the road, just that driving in standard is way faster and easier. Not that I would mind having a G25, I just don't think it's necessary, and I'm not even that good of a driver.
 
Kylehnat - I feel the same way. I have always been a sticks man but with GT5P I quickly decided that the sixaxis was pants. I am now using a DS3 but find professional physics so difficult with some cars because of the lack of feedback. I am also seriously considering a wheel.

I am looking at a cockpit setup - using a desk, ironing board or plank of wood across my chair is not really practical. I found one example here www.gameracer.co.uk (I like the fold-away option) but will look at others, plus I need to sell a full-size football table to make space ;)
 
Now I have to talk myself out of having to order one of those Racing Wheel Seat Setups!

You absolutely must have one.

Look into my eyes... you NEED a seat, you NEED a seat !

3,2,1 and you're back in the room
 
Magic!

We'll have you driving a wheel yet Kyle! :trouble:
Does this mean you're going to bring the DFP down for SFGTP3, and will use it? Or will you just stick to the pad because we're racing GT4 that weekend? :lol:
 
With GT4 I used both wheel and controller. I preferred the wheel but was only a little faster. With GT5P I've found that the wheel makes a huge difference with high powered rear wheel drive cars.

So, yes my experience is the same.
 
Im glad you made this post because it confirms what I thought.

There are some cars on professional setting that im finding very tricky to drive using the controller i.e Elise/Tuned, Clio Tuned mainly because im suffering from massive oversteer and you're description of being "on ice" is spot on. I look at some replays and wondered how on earth they can put their foot on the gas without the backend stepping out and then come to the conclusion they must be using the wheel.

The problem with the controller especially the PS3 pad is you cannot be subtle with your driving and tend to find an all or nothing approach. I didn't find this a problem when using the pad on the Xbox 360 for driving games but the design is far better.

I had my doubts about buying a wheel but am now seriously thinking of buying the DFP. I would love the G25 but im going to wait until the full release of GT5 before spending this amount of money.
 
On Pro, if you're going to use the controller, you're going to need to leave Active Steering and ASM on, particularly for high-powered cars.

I look at some replays and wondered how on earth they can put their foot on the gas without the backend stepping out and then come to the conclusion they must be using the wheel.

The problem with the controller especially the PS3 pad is you cannot be subtle with your driving and tend to find an all or nothing approach.


Personally i'd disagree with these points. Before I say why, i'm not saying they're wrong, just offering my opinion as a DS3 player.

For GT-GT4 I always used the face buttons (x,sq,tr,cir) to control acceleration, braking etc. With GT3 and 4 I was able to feather the throttle well using the pressure sensing buttons of the DS2 and was quicker than a i was with my wheel.

For GTHD and now GT5P, I have been using the right stick for acceleration/braking and it allows a far greater degree of control than the face buttons and in some cases better control than the triggers (especially if then changing gear with L1/R1 or the face buttons).

Being able to control a high powered, RWD car doesn't require ASM or Active Steering to be left on if using a controller, it just takes an understanding of how your inputs affect the car (full throttle at full lock will obviously make a Corvette oversteer for example). It also takes patience in order to develop the skill to hold small slides, all of which can be acheived with a controller as well as a wheel. It just takes a little more time.

If you're using a controller, just try driving at a constant part throttle, every so often moving the point in the rev range that you're holding the car. It will soon become a natural process and your hands train to the slightly strange feeling of changing the pressures through a surface that doesn't give much feedback. Try this and your car control will improve significantly and inputs become smoother...

I've said it before and i'll say it again, but slow is smooth and smooth is fast!

I know it sound's a bit like i'm babbling, but that's my view on the subject as a DS3 player and someone who has previously used a DFP for a long period too.
 
Well, on Standard Physics, the controller is fine. On Pro, if you're going to use the controller, you're going to need to leave Active Steering and ASM on, particularly for high-powered cars. I may make the big switch over to pedals and wheels, but I wish it wasn't so forced on me.

Your wrong pal! I race on pro physics on a pad WITHOUT using Active Steering and ASM, and I drive a tuned Corvette Z06, and the Viper SRT10 tuned. I'm just starting on Suzuka, and I can easily get 6:40 - 6:50 race times. I'm never far from the podium either. On Daytona Super Speedway, I'd challenge anyone with using a wheel to 'try' and keep up!
 
Your wrong pal! I race on pro physics on a pad WITHOUT using Active Steering and ASM, and I drive a tuned Corvette Z06, and the Viper SRT10 tuned. I'm just starting on Suzuka, and I can easily get 6:40 - 6:50 race times. I'm never far from the podium either. On Daytona Super Speedway, I'd challenge anyone with using a wheel to 'try' and keep up!

you are right. I'm handicapted and I can't use a wheel and peds. sixaxis is just fine....I use the right stick for throttle, and it is much easier with rearwheeldrive high powered cars then X and square.:sly:
 
There's no way someone with a pad can keep up with a wheel user now that GT has become a better simulation. It's just not possible...pads suck.
 
I don't agree at all.

I can be quick either way. Usually i drive with the G25, since this is the way to go (most fun to be had), and it's not slow either. But i can race just as fast with the pad.

I usually race with the pad when it's late, since i live in an apartment where you can hear your neighbours very well (old house). I never had a single problem to match my times from when using a wheel. You even can react faster with a pad IMO. You just have to be precise with the pad, instead of "jerking" the sticks around.
 
I can't find a good way to steer using the pad, I adapted to using the sticks for accelerating and braking, but it's the steering that is hard to do subtly.

Hats off to those who can!
 
Personally i'd disagree with these points. Before I say why, i'm not saying they're wrong, just offering my opinion as a DS3 player.

For GT-GT4 I always used the face buttons (x,sq,tr,cir) to control acceleration, braking etc. With GT3 and 4 I was able to feather the throttle well using the pressure sensing buttons of the DS2 and was quicker than a i was with my wheel.

For GTHD and now GT5P, I have been using the right stick for acceleration/braking and it allows a far greater degree of control than the face buttons and in some cases better control than the triggers (especially if then changing gear with L1/R1 or the face buttons).

Being able to control a high powered, RWD car doesn't require ASM or Active Steering to be left on if using a controller, it just takes an understanding of how your inputs affect the car (full throttle at full lock will obviously make a Corvette oversteer for example). It also takes patience in order to develop the skill to hold small slides, all of which can be acheived with a controller as well as a wheel. It just takes a little more time.

If you're using a controller, just try driving at a constant part throttle, every so often moving the point in the rev range that you're holding the car. It will soon become a natural process and your hands train to the slightly strange feeling of changing the pressures through a surface that doesn't give much feedback. Try this and your car control will improve significantly and inputs become smoother...

I've said it before and i'll say it again, but slow is smooth and smooth is fast!

I know it sound's a bit like i'm babbling, but that's my view on the subject as a DS3 player and someone who has previously used a DFP for a long period too.

OK, thank you for saying something productive. I'll try your controller configuration. It take a while to adjust since I've been playing the GT series since day 1 using the face buttons for steering/throttle/brake and triggers to shift.
 
I completed the game with my pad, but had to switch to a wheel for online racing as I simply could not keep up with the pad. After a while it's very easy to tell who is using a wheel and who is using a pad online as well. The wheel knocks about 2 - 3 seconds off my lap time at Suzuka and that's with all assists OFF and Pro physics wheras with the pad, I have to keep some assists on and am still slower.
 
I am also thinking about going "wheel". When using a pad, I believe GT5 is designed to compensate for its differences from the wheel/real life. This given, would that make using the pad an advantage? It is like using autopilot (driving aids? unseen software in the game driving aids?). I know I can smash a button much faster that I can turn a wheel. GT5 has that steering adjustment in quicktune that both the pad and the wheel can take advantage of... hmmmm. I guess it is all about the fun aye? I want to know for sure though, is one method faster than the other? ARRRRGGGGG. I don't know if I wanna spend $150 on the Logitech GT. If it isn't any faster, then screw it... but it would be kinda fun. Help me guys!
 
In the GT3/4p/4 racing days I always raced with a DFP. Because of that I am a left foot braker and really used that to my advantage over. I loved the feel of the wheel and loved the feedback. However, I hated looking at the wheel sitting in the living room (I used the knee attachment, not a table) and I hated the poor quality of the DFP pedals and always having to take them apart and fix the levers and re-grease everything.

Some 2 years later, I live in a smaller apartment with even less space and just don't have room for a wheel. Well I do, but again I don't want to look at it always sitting there. So I'm currently using a dualshock for PS3, in pro mode with no aids and have yet to have any real issue. It can be done. When i raced online in GT3/4 most of the really fast guys were using pads. I always wanted to relearn to use the pad. Especially now that they are cordless and small. It's been a PITA and I miss left foot braking but it IS doable...but less than ideal.
 
I'm also having trouble driving the Elise/Tuned with the Pad. It looks like I'll be getting the old DFP out of the closet, or maybe upgrading to the G25.

Chris
 
Not sure about GT3, but GT4 "had" online. It wasn't implemented in the game itself, but people played it online.

They used a program called "Xlink Kai Evolution VII". ;)
 
I'm in the exact same boat as Kyle... a confirmed button-masher and proud owner of a DFP-shaped dust-collector. I haven't tried GT5:P with the wheel yet, but I'd be gobsmacked if I was any (let alone substantially) quicker with it than with the SIXAXIS... but then again, I haven't explored the game in much detail myself, and am currently using Standard physics only. Already had a go at taking away the ABS and the game feels quite different, but I was always rubbish with the wheel so I hope I don't have to relearn the whole thing just to keep up with the pack :nervous: Besides, I just moved into a new flat with brand new furniture, and have no suitable objects to clamp the wheel to anyway... still, this has piqued my interest so I will try and give it a go and see what happens 👍
 
you are right. I'm handicapted and I can't use a wheel and peds. sixaxis is just fine....I use the right stick for throttle, and it is much easier with rearwheeldrive high powered cars then X and square.:sly:

I'm not right. Some people use wheels, and love it, others use pads and love it. I was merely pointing out that it is possible to drive high powered cars with a sixaxis, and not have to rely on any aids. 👍

I also have a DFP, but prefer to use a pad. The reason I do this is because after about 30 minutes of concerted driving, my arms and wrists are absolutely aching! I can race all night with a pad, with greater accuracy, and only have a sore thumb for my troubles.

Another reason is that I race Daytona Super Speedway a lot, and a DFP just doesn't cut it there at all! I have a very tight car setup, that is very fast, and has super grip, especially on the corners.

With a pad, it is childs play to keep the car steady. Try and do the same with the DFP, and its all over the shop. The steering is really twitchy, slow, and very unresponsive (especially when knocked), and anything over 150mph requires great effort just to keep the car in a straight line, never mind on the corners. :scared:

I do try Suzuka sometimes with a wheel, but I soon get annoyed, and go back to the pad. The reason for that is every time (and I mean every time) that I run off with a wheel, the car always ends up facing the wrong way. No matter how fast or slow I go, or how much I counter steer, the car will always come to a stop facing the opposite direction! now contrast that with a pad, and the car NEVER ends up facing the wrong way, so what gives? :grumpy:
 
Back