Will PC2 online still work after PC3 is released?

• Thread starter Pantheons
  • 17 comments
United Kingdom
Norfolk UK
Pantheons

And maybe just as important will PC2 users disappear when PC3 comes out? meaning no one around to race?

And maybe just as important will PC2 users disappear when PC3 comes out? meaning no one around to race?
Good questions. I'm going to say that they'll keep the game servers running for PC2 for quite some length of time. I think there would be uproar if they shut them down because there's still many playing on PC2. There could be a gradual drift of people to PC3 but since both games are different in their approach I think there will be players who use both.

If I load up a multiplayer game & I'm the host, then others join me through xblive, it's got nothing to do with SMS, not sure about dedicated PC servers though (like steam) not sure what deals they have with game companies or even if SMS has a dedicated server??

This is what happened with the original GRID, it got shut off on PS3 & PC, but not Xbox. However PC users found away around it via 3rd party servers (don't think it was gamespy) maybe tunnel?

Even on the consoles there is a game server, run by SMS presumably. Although the majority of communication is player to player it's a game server that controls the lobby lists etc. No game server no P2P either - as per GT5 & 6. PC players connect to a dedicated server (again probably SMS) which actually runs the game - it's a more robust method than P2P which is always reliant on the weakest connection.

There is always a host server as far as im aware, and when the manufacturers decide to stop supporting that game online, they turn it off. I might email SMS and ask if they have a time line.

This not always like this, usually general server keeps leaderboards data and online ratings. How it would work depends on code, players kinda still can play in lobbies without this stuff, so why not make it loose and available. I not sure, but it also mostly depend on PlayStation servers, which can stop transfer actual players data and their security.

PC1 on-line wasn't turned off when PC2 arrived. I'd suggest its highly likely PC2 will be reduced in price and remain on sale after PC3 is launched (I'm talking about Steam here - I think physical copies of PC2 for console have already dropped in price). If PC2 is on sale then it will be difficult to turn off the on-line.

Last edited:
Well, it seems that first Project Cars been cut off recently, if anyone have it installed, can check.
Just checked, and the original Project Cars is still running just fine online. Not many sessions running, but they are running.

It has been removed from the PS and Xbox stores (along with its DLC), but on-line is currently still ok.

The dlc on xbox store was still available earlier as you can still purchase the main game albeit in the double pack bundle PC1&PC2

Not via website but through the store on the console.

Admittedly this was before I went to work, not checked since.

Just checked again, it's still there & although the dlc is showing none of it is available for purchase or download.

20200706_235653.jpg

In the "Tools" menu in the Steam library page, there is a Dedicated Server install that I assume will let you host your own P2P servers.

There also possible to host our own p2p servers, through DNS on PS4, so if something goes off, we can always try to hold a GTplanet server for PC2.

On PC you have the ability to download the dedicated server software and run your own dedicated servers (or pay someone to do it) and of course you can host games on your own PC and run P2P only races.

Console has no dedicated servers and SMS do not do any hosting (looks like this is changing for PC3 as there is talk of scheduled hosted racing). P2P on console just needs the game installed and Playstation Network to be functioning. What I don't know is if developers/publishers have to continue to pay Sony or not to maintain lobby hosting/matchmaking etc for particular games. If they do then of course there could be a time when lobbies for Project Cars2 disappear.

Project Cars still works just fine online though so I'm not worried about PC2 going missing any time soon.

On console it is.

But then again I thought GT6 was P2P aswell but that got turned off, unless I'm mistaken.
Indeed, GT5 & 6 runned on P2P servers, GTS lobbies runs also on P2P servers (with same bugs as GT6) and the sport mode runs on dedicated servers.

So it's "simply" decision made by PD/Sony to cut down the servers around 6 months after next GT get launched.

Never understood that strategy from them.

And what is worse,if they cut Down GTS servers you won't be able to save any progress or access brand Central to buy cars.

Back