Will we ever get full VR support?

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Sfexbest
I bought a psvr on release for this game. It was annouced that gt sport will have vr support so this was the main reason I bought a psvr on launch.
I immediately fell In love with the system. What it did and what is possible with vr is absolutely bonkers. I played driveclub vr early on because it was the only vr title available.I purchased the g29 wheel with a wheel stand pro and a really nice racing chair. After this whole setup It was hella fun I played 3- 5 hours every night and had a blast. I moved on to dirt rally vr again absolutely blew me away. Played several hours and it was amazing. Dirt lacked online play though and the career mode is a little meh. I definitely do prefer driveclub vr over dirt. Don't believe anyone says about graphics I mean its not great but with the immersion of VR the graphics can be forgiven.
Now where next? I went onto the oculus rift with pcvr. I played Assetto Corsa vr and it felt as real as anything gets but the game didn't grab me entirely the single player mode was lackluster and joining online lobbies was fun but there was no competitive ranking or anything so I didn't play often.

Next I went onto Project Cars 2 and I must hold my hand up and say this one in VR did wonders again I feel so far this is what you should aim for in vr. Its definitely the most immersive racing sim experience you can get but yes there's always a but the vr optimzation is done so poorly that I spent around 5hours just trying to find ths right settings. In the end I had this amazing graphical vr title but running at 45fps. It was manageable and I already put a hundred hours in but again online multiplayer is nothing like gt sport or iracing.

After forcing myself not to support polyphony for this stupendous act on vr I eventually fell victim of their constant advertising. They are constantly selling this with the lie of psvr compatible written on their game. That vr support was added just for money imo greedish act.

Some of you may say "at least they added a vr mode"
No but this was promised at psvr launch annoucment back about a year and a half ago with full vr support. A picture of gt sport is on the bloody psvr launch box. The vr mode in this game is brilliant I tell you its close to being on par with pcars 2 while being insane amount of fun without having to deal with the fps problems. What we have here already in vr is amazing but its not enough. Why spend all that time building for vr and then release a half baked vr mode. It honestly feels like gt sport are hiding full vr support in their office because they don't want people ******** on the graphics quality of VR. Polyphony just look at skyrim vr the best gaming experience I ever had and its graphics aren't even very good yet its actually making the psvr sell like hot cakes. Its the exact same with gtsport your game was supposed to sell like this but your half assed vr support killed it for any psvr user and it most likely hurt your sales in the end.
Polyphony if your looking give us a add on just put vr throughout the entire game. Charge an extra 20-30 usd if you have to.

I'm not someone to makes posts like this but I just know one thing and that is VR + cockpit sim racing = Match made in heaven
So please get something together and add upon that vr mode. Im currently trying to play in cinema mode on the psvr to get my moneys worth. It alright but nothing close to the vr experience.

Tl-dr - Give us more VR content polyphony

i think the problem is hardware limitations.
they probably cant manage to have a decent looking game in vr and then let you race at 120fps with 20+ cars.

He already said several times that VR at this state is just bad, he is right, till dual 4k will be on your head there is no point getting in to it.

https://www.vrfocus.com/2017/08/polyphony-digital-ceo-speaks-about-gran-turismo-sports-vr-mode/

Your absolutely mad if you believe that. VR in its current state is already better than anything available on flat screen. Don't believe me? Then go buy a psvr headset and try out the limited vr there is on gt sport. It'll blow you away and leave you wanting more I can promise you that.

I understand the thing about hardware limitations but just drop down the graphics a little cmon lads anythings possible. We got the full skyrim world in vr. We have ports like skyrim and rocket league on a Nintendo switch console which isn't even very powerful.

If people actually want 4k per eye which is actually a ridiculous statement because everything is well and truly playable as it is they would move over to pc gaming. But here at console gaming we can accept some drop downs on graphics etc

Your absolutely mad if you believe that. VR in its current state is already better than anything available on flat screen. Don't believe me? Then go buy a psvr headset and try out the limited vr there is on gt sport. It'll blow you away and leave you wanting more I can promise you that.

I understand the thing about hardware limitations but just drop down the graphics a little cmon lads anythings possible. We got the full skyrim world in vr. We have ports like skyrim and rocket league on a Nintendo switch console which isn't even very powerful.

If people actually want 4k per eye which is actually a ridiculous statement because everything is well and truly playable as it is they would move over to pc gaming. But here at console gaming we can accept some drop downs on graphics etc
What flat screen do you have? I tried PlayStation VR on PS4 PRO with several games, It's just bad, sorry. Won't sacrifice "wow effect" for ridiculously bad quality of image and poor tracking/gameplay.

"Yamauchi expressed disappointment in the current state of virtual reality hardware, saying that he had expected the tech to have come a lot further by this point in time. "The first head-mounted display was created before I was born, around 1962," he said. "I've been waiting for more than 50 years. After all that time, I'd hoped it would be something more incredible than it is today."

He explained, however, that Polyphony has worked hard to make the game run well on PSVR and that he thinks it'll still end up being a good product. The team hopes to get even closer to photorealism with the VR version, just like it is known for doing with the normal console Gran Turismo games, but it'll take more time to squeeze enough power out of the system. "We've done the best we can with what's currently available," he stated.

Yamauchi expects that it'll take much more power to get to the point where virtual reality is on par, graphically, with the two-dimensional versions of games. "Once we get to dual 8K [screens], it'll be pretty nice," he estimated. "Dual 8K and about a 200Hz refresh rate. Maybe in another 50 years?" Currently, the PSVR's screens are only 960x1080 per eye, with a 120Hz refresh rate."

What flat screen do you have? I tried PlayStation VR on PS4 PRO with several games, It's just bad, sorry. Won't sacrifice "wow effect" for ridiculously bad quality of image and poor tracking/gameplay.

"Yamauchi expressed disappointment in the current state of virtual reality hardware, saying that he had expected the tech to have come a lot further by this point in time. "The first head-mounted display was created before I was born, around 1962," he said. "I've been waiting for more than 50 years. After all that time, I'd hoped it would be something more incredible than it is today."

He explained, however, that Polyphony has worked hard to make the game run well on PSVR and that he thinks it'll still end up being a good product. The team hopes to get even closer to photorealism with the VR version, just like it is known for doing with the normal console Gran Turismo games, but it'll take more time to squeeze enough power out of the system. "We've done the best we can with what's currently available," he stated.

Yamauchi expects that it'll take much more power to get to the point where virtual reality is on par, graphically, with the two-dimensional versions of games. "Once we get to dual 8K [screens], it'll be pretty nice," he estimated. "Dual 8K and about a 200Hz refresh rate. Maybe in another 50 years?" Currently, the PSVR's screens are only 960x1080 per eye, with a 120Hz refresh rate."

I have a Sony 55inch 4k hdr TV.
And the VR is still lightyears ahead of playing on the TV. I don't know what you see in the graphics yes it looks nice but would I rather be inside the car looking left and right inside the mirrors. Looking towards the right as a car passes and looking at the apex before making the turn and all the depth you get its alll just amazing.

Seeing you blabber on nonsense quotes from the devs has me thinking you havn't really tried vr for yourself. In gt sport you don't really need good tracking so I don't even know why you brought that up. I never wobbled from my seat tracking for sim racing has never been an issue.

Whhy does vr need 8k and 200fps for it to be enjoyable while flatscreens can pass on 30-60fps? I tried it all and I even told you I played pcars2 for a 100 hours already in that same 45fps all async tricks off and its totally playable. I think 60fps is acceptable in vr the resolution could do with a small bump but its not as if you can't see the cars you can pretty much already see everything as it is with a little screen door effect.

I respect the devs of gt sport totally but for this particular comment its just an excuse for his team to focus on the non vr aspect where most of the money is. Its understandable that since the vr market is niche but in the end these devs should understand they probably hurt sales more than helped with half baked vr support.

A least a 1vs1 online vr mode. I want to race against humans.

Cat and mouse VR races would be pretty awesome. Best of 3 sort of rules would make for an interesting head to head mode more akin to street fighter than most racing games.

I have a Sony 55inch 4k hdr TV.
And the VR is still lightyears ahead of playing on the TV. I don't know what you see in the graphics yes it looks nice but would I rather be inside the car looking left and right inside the mirrors. Looking towards the right as a car passes and looking at the apex before making the turn and all the depth you get its alll just amazing.

Seeing you blabber on nonsense quotes from the devs has me thinking you havn't really tried vr for yourself. In gt sport you don't really need good tracking so I don't even know why you brought that up. I never wobbled from my seat tracking for sim racing has never been an issue.

Whhy does vr need 8k and 200fps for it to be enjoyable while flatscreens can pass on 30-60fps? I tried it all and I even told you I played pcars2 for a 100 hours already in that same 45fps all async tricks off and its totally playable. I think 60fps is acceptable in vr the resolution could do with a small bump but its not as if you can't see the cars you can pretty much already see everything as it is with a little screen door effect.

I respect the devs of gt sport totally but for this particular comment its just an excuse for his team to focus on the non vr aspect where most of the money is. Its understandable that since the vr market is niche but in the end these devs should understand they probably hurt sales more than helped with half baked vr support.
Dude, you like it, good for you, enjoy. I don't. I don't like 3D movies as well, i like natural way that works for me. Playing on TV for me is more natural, because i grow up playing games that way. VR is nice for 15 minute demo to get immersion of it, but that's it. Just watch at the market, nobody cares about VR, they're making games but nobody is buying them. It will die same way as 3D movies died for home theaters.

I feel your pain sfex, I laugh at the snowflake generation who cry about graphics quality, the PSVR graphics are better than the graphics I grew up on, my commodore 64 gave me more gaming hours than these new amazing graphics games. the PS1 PS2 graphics were more than playable but are shoddy compared to PSVR, and yet these freaks who need a game to be in 4k to enjoy it, OMG do I laugh to stop me from crying.
This 4k nonesense is to sell TVs, same as 3D was. Its not necessary, game play and physics are what I want from games.
I enjoyed counter strike beta through to source more than the amazing graphics FPS that are just spawn camping crap fests.

I've been thinking of building a PC for iracing and using my PSVR with trinus, but its a big gamble without knowing anyone to try before I buy. And not knowing if the lobbies are busy during my play times.

Gotta admit cinema mode sounds pretty cool. I played with the HTC headset and found I could only last about 45 min until I got neaseaus. But florescent lights will do that to me too sometimes. I didn't get to try a racing game though. Glad to hear the experience in GTS is pretty good.

i think the problem is hardware limitations.
they probably cant manage to have a decent looking game in vr and then let you race at 120fps with 20+ cars.
But there is no reason for lack of time trials, surely?

Dude, you like it, good for you, enjoy. I don't. I don't like 3D movies as well, i like natural way that works for me. Playing on TV for me is more natural, because i grow up playing games that way. VR is nice for 15 minute demo to get immersion of it, but that's it. Just watch at the market, nobody cares about VR, they're making games but nobody is buying them. It will die same way as 3D movies died for home theaters.
Well you are clearly wrong. I can go to the super market, stand by the coffee section for 5 minutes without a single person coming to that section. Nobody cares about coffee too I guess? VR is here to stay.

Time trials and choosing number of laps at least must be getting added soon. And not being able to sit in the car in the showroom is a big let down.

Also, at the end of VR races, the race results screen flashes and then disappears, so I cant even note my completion times on a bit of paper...

Never. Ps4 doesn't have enough juice to run Vr games with graphical effects that don't look like ****.

Reason why GTS VR mode looks so good is precisely because it renders only 2 cars at max. Anything above that and it will probably **** itself and FPS will go down below non vomit VR framerate.

I play regurally on PC with my PSVR in Asetto Corsa and Pcars2 and VR is amazing there. I thought that PS4 Pro would be great way for games to utilize VR but Sony for some stupid reason wanted for all PS4 to have VR support.

With this you end up with either scaled back VR games or AAA "experiences".

RE7 in VR which i played was amazing but game was non stop in closed spaces which gave a lot of free rendering time for VR. Something that can't be really done with racing games or other types of games.

I would like to see more VR content too, but I didn't expect a full car field because of how much the VR head set takes to run. But any thing that u can do by your self with no other cars on track like time trial, drift, practice, and so on should be VR compatible.

Back