Will you be able to choose the transmission

• Thread starter fiaz1
  • 38 comments
i was just wondering since i've not read anything about this in any forum or any press release but in GT5 will you be able to choose the transmission such the BMW M3 you've got the manual and then the DCT which makes a difference to the performance of the car. And another thing is will you be able to use launch control for cars that have it in real life from standstill

Something I hope for, I doubt it though, it would take some extra modelling of the interior which means PD would need a couple source cars for their photoshoots.

I wonder it'll have a clutch button like FM3.

Troll.

Doesn't the G25 have a clutch pedal? That was basically designed for use with GT as PD collaborate with Logitech. So i'm assuming, because people who set lap records and post them on youtube say they used "Manual(no clutch)" then i'm assuming you can use a clutch in GT5. Plus you say it like Turn10 invented it, but various games have had an option to use the clutch for years.

I don't think there is a pre-set button for the clutch on a sixaxis, but you can set one if you want.

You can use the clutch pedal in Prologue. can't see much need to have it as a button unless it uses one of the paddles.
Be interesting to see if GT5 does AMT gearboxes so you can switch from auto to sequential during a race.

Troll.

Doesn't the G25 have a clutch pedal? That was basically designed for use with GT as PD collaborate with Logitech. So i'm assuming, because people who set lap records and post them on youtube say they used "Manual(no clutch)" then i'm assuming you can use a clutch in GT5. Plus you say it like Turn10 invented it, but various games have had an option to use the clutch for years.

I don't think there is a pre-set button for the clutch on a sixaxis, but you can set one if you want.

The G25 wasn't designed for GT, it was really more for rfactor.

No, but the Fanatec wheel is, and is far better than either of those... :rolleyes:
Fanatec sells 4 different wheels. The 911 turbo S is the only one compatible with the 360, it's hyper expensive, not available in stores and never in stock online.

How many wheels are compatible with that console? Let's say 2 mediocre and 1 very good.

Last edited:
I always do not understand this situation.

This a GT5 section.

You are not going to convince everyone 360 wheel compatibility is better because we all have our opinions.(we all know its not).

Go brag on fnet.

I wonder it'll have a clutch button like FM3.

why everybody got pissed over this quote ?

you better take a chill pill or something, F3 has clutch button as Screamer 4x4 had before, nothing to get pissed over.

In my opinion clutch as a button in pad is stupid idea but someone could use it very well and I too wonder, why i can use clutch playin my g25 and why i can't on my pad.. ?

Previous GT games had double and triple clutches... these are racing equivalents of DSG's and so forth...

C.

Fanatec sells 4 different wheels. The 911 turbo S is the only one compatible with the 360, it's hyper expensive, not available in stores and never in stock online.

How many wheels are compatible with that console? Let's say 2 mediocre and 1 very good.
I didn't go into details of numbers and costs - it's totally irrelevant. Fact is, the Xbox 360 has a good wheel available for it, so quit with the fanboyism around it.

Troll.

Troll? He is not a troll.. you sound like a GT troll... He does not know, so no need to respond like that..

Besides G25 was never created with PD.. G25 is basically more for PC use.. DFP GT is the one created with PD, but PD knew some people have FANATEC wheels as well G25, so they enabled a clutch..

Another fact that G25 was not created with PD is that there is no menu with G25 specs in GT5.

I didn't go into details of numbers and costs - it's totally irrelevant. Fact is, the Xbox 360 has a good wheel available for it, so quit with the fanboyism around it.
Lol fanboyism, I'm giving facts too...

Last edited:
Previous GT games had double and triple clutches... these are racing equivalents of DSG's and so forth...

C.

yeah i know that but in GT5 do you get the option of being able to choose rather than it just being stuck one. that would make the game so much more enjoyable to play and it would also be interesting to see what difference it makes when tuning the car, because cars with these double clutches and so on have limitations to how much power they can handle while a manual gearbox can just be simply changed to cope with it. with just doing this would really be great addition to the game. not many people are curious about this but when you really think about it, it changes the game alot and how you drive the car.

Are you sure about that?
That is completely new to me.

No idea. I just assumed it was the game not the wheel that allowed the clutch.

Well Logitech collaborated with PD on the Logitech wheel that was supported in Gt4, i thought i was just some derivation of that.

So i was wrong to assume two things that were not true, i apologise.

I just find it annoying that someone mentioned Forza within 2 posts, thats why i called him a troll.

Hyper expensive? Fail?

One with shifter and Pedals goes for 230 bucks more then G27
And with ClubSport Peddals (which kill any competition for the money) is 180 dollars more..

So there you go only 30 BUCKS more then crappy G27.

C.

Not really the same. That refered to double and triple plate clutch. That makes the clutch less slippery and handle a lot more power, but still 100% manual. A double clutch transmission is an AMT used by VW, Audi, Porsche, etc...

The G25 wasn't designed for GT, it was really more for rfactor.

It was designed for PC use, any PC game not just rfactor

C.

Yet they function completely different and are not equivalent at all.

Hyper expensive? Fail?

One with shifter and Pedals goes for 230 bucks more then G27
And with ClubSport Peddals (which kill any competition for the money) is 180 dollars more..

So there you go only 30 BUCKS more then crappy G27.

Then pay for shipping and you think the G27 is crappy?

I just find it annoying that someone mentioned Forza within 2 posts, thats why i called him a troll.
All he asked is if the PS3 controller will have a clutch configuration like the Xbox 360 controller allows for Forza.
There's nothing troll about it, though, your post wasn't exactly that of a saint, either.

Wheel discussion aside...

This is something that always aggravated me about Gran Turismo. You simply choose manual or automatic, and every car you get just has whichever you pick. Even if you change your preference from manual to automatic, all your cars end up that way as well (like they got a magic transmission swap in your garage while you weren't looking). It's asinine.

It should go something like as follows: when you buy a car, you choose the transmission - and if it doesn't come with a manual or an auto or paddle shifters or whatever it happens to have in real life, you don't get the option - and you're stuck with it. (To be fair to casual or new players and little kids, you should get an option to let the computer make manual shifts for you, however.)

This is something that always aggravated me about Gran Turismo. You simply choose manual or automatic, and every car you get just has whichever you pick. Even if you change your preference from manual to automatic, all your cars end up that way as well (like they got a magic transmission swap in your garage while you weren't looking). It's asinine

Thats because when you choose automatic your choosing to have Gran Turismo change the gears for you, you arn't changing the car itself.

Jay
Thats because when you choose automatic your choosing to have Gran Turismo change the gears for you, you arn't changing the car itself.

That's hard to substantiate. Especially when the game's only options actually say "Transmission: Auto / Manual". It should read something more like "Gear Selection: Manually Controlled / AI Controlled".

The choice of transmission in a car affects lots of variables, not the least of which are acceleration, power loss through the drivetrain, and weight. In retrospect it's hardly worth giving anyone the option of selecting a transmission (at least between auto and manual, manual will get selected 10 out of 10 times). However a choice between true manuals and clutchless quasi-manual gearboxes, like an E92 M3's DCT or Evolution X's SST, would be nice. (That is, when such options are available.)

That's hard to substantiate. Especially when the game's only options actually say "Transmission: Auto / Manual". It should read something more like "Gear Selection: Manually Controlled / AI Controlled".

But it doesn't ask that when you buy the car, it is dead clear (considering if you watch how it shifts) it is a GT auto shift and not a automatic car.

I would like the actual transmission options as I have stated earlier in this thread but I don't see it happening.

i think that people are goin of topic now. which happens alot and the question first asked never gets asked because people start talkin about forza or steering wheels. if you want to talk about forza please do it somewhere else. i personally couldn't care less about it. i've played it and have a very low opinion of the game. thats my personal opinion. and steering wheels i'm sure theirs a thread where you can discuss them. i want to know when buying the car you get the option of having the different gearboxes cars have in real life like when you go buy a car you choose quite simply maual or automatic. what i'm saying is in GT5 when you buy a new you can choose the colour which you like can you choose which gearbox you would like it to have if it has different gearboxes in real life. hope that makes sense

This is something that always aggravated me about Gran Turismo. You simply choose manual or automatic, and every car you get just has whichever you pick. Even if you change your preference from manual to automatic, all your cars end up that way as well (like they got a magic transmission swap in your garage while you weren't looking). It's asinine.

It should go something like as follows: when you buy a car, you choose the transmission - and if it doesn't come with a manual or an auto or paddle shifters or whatever it happens to have in real life, you don't get the option - and you're stuck with it. (To be fair to casual or new players and little kids, you should get an option to let the computer make manual shifts for you, however.)

^This^

Jay
But it doesn't ask that when you buy the car, it is dead clear (considering if you watch how it shifts) it is a GT auto shift and not a automatic car.

I thought AT/MT stood for Automatic Transmission/Manual Transmission?

Anyways, for all intents and purposes, it's the same thing. GT should just let you pick a transmission from the beginning and leave it as such for as long as you own the car, instead of asking every time.

Back