Williams F1 Driving Simulator

• Thread starter bmw5150
  • 18 comments
Williams F1 driving simulator designed to help their drivers become better acquainted to the championship tracks. (Probably the sweetest simulator cockpit I have ever seen, it seems to make use of an actual F1 steering wheel). Just came across this on the BBC website, and really wonder what this software is based on...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/newsbeat/newsid_7965000/7965045.stm

williamscockpit.jpg

Last edited:
There are rumors they work together with ballracing developments. But that's only becease ballracing developments has on official license of williams f1, so i am not sure...
And the software ballracing use is probably from the maker of netkar pro.

So maybe the software is based on an engine from the maker of netkar pro. But those are just rumors... its offcourse also possible they hired a team we just don't know off.

"Based on an engine from the maker of netkar pro"? Absolutley not. What on earth makes you suggest that a high-fidelity motorsport simulator would be "Based On" a game? Why would you even think that? What do the makers of a game know about car simulations than an F1 team doesn't? The WF1 simulator is entirely developed in-house, and contains not a single line of game code. No game in existence could come anywhere near the level of fidelity produced in this type of simulation. Admittedly there are other "Simulators" that are used for guests at WF1, and these are indeed based on games, but the actual one depicted (and which is used by drivers and engineers) is not.

^ :lol:
but yeah, that simulator looks damn hot
I take it it would have all the force feedback and it would move and shake an stuff yeah?

May I ask how you know?

EDIT: Scratch that. I checked your email. Welcome to GTP.

Yeah, well ... reading my comments back it seems really ranty. Sorry about that! Normally I don't post about it, but there's always somebody who'll say (in all innocence) "Is it based on a game?" ... and it really gets my goat!

Anyway, that's the end of my ranting. Feel free to call me rude names!

I've got a few questions for you Jimmy. Feel free to not answer if you can't.

I presume the main use for the simulator is so that the drivers can become better acquainted with the circuit? I presume you can also test suspension/wing settings, and new parts ie diffusers? (not that you need one...:dopey: )

Nakajima indicated that Malaysia was one of the better tracks in the "sim", and he stated it was laser scanned. I would imagine that not all the tracks have been laser scanned and, if so, are the others there as a more basic version?

daan- I have to be careful about what I write, so I'll stick to stuff that's already published, or non-proprietary. The sim can be used for all sorts of stuff, including driver training. We can try-out new bits (suspension, KERS, experimental mechanisms etc.), new circuits, and it's also good for driver appraisal. Kazuki was right: the laser-scanned tracks are by far the best. We do indeed have others that are not digitised in this way. What's interesting is just how similar the scanned and non-scanned tracks can appear. Looking at them you can hardly tell the difference, but when you drive on them, they're a world apart!

Nice insight Jimmy but that was a bit harsh on Wakkerman!

I know A1GP is nowhere near F1 but they do use a professional version of Rfactor (a game) for their official simulator.

Also what do you mean by driver appraisal?

OK, I'm trying to avoid writing anything I shouldn't. I'll stick to stuff that is already known.

Kazuki made the point that the laser-scanned tracks are really good, and he was comparing them with other tracks that we have. This is interesting, because it illustrates a fact that applies to most aspects of simulation: you can get a lot of what you want for very little effort, but after that it becomes exponentially more difficult to make progresss.

So consider the two circuit types: one is almost right, and is accurate to within (say) a few centimetres. This is data-set is fairly easy to capture, and easy to use. The laser scan in accurate to within a few millimetres, and comes in the form of tens (if not hundreds) of millions of data points, and is much harder to work with. That's a hell of a lot of effort, to go from centimetre-accuracy to millimetre-accuracy. Is it worth it? Are you making a high fidelity simulation, or a game? If you're making a game, then you probably want to save your time and money, and go for the lower accuracy. Only if you're pursuing the N-th degree of fidelity would you bother with the higher accuracy.

Kazuki knows the difference, though, doesn't he?

the track surface is a lot more interestng on lazer scanned tracks than on tracks made by other methods. Bumps and dips show up where they're supposed to be. Laguna Seca is a lot more interesting in iRacing than it is in any other sim. Same with the other tracks. even a short simple track like Lime Rock Park. Also, tracks don't have uniform grip.

Gabkicks- that is an excellent example: variable grip.

So you have a track, and the grip seems to vary around the lap ... but why? If you're writing a game and the car goes unrealistically fast through one corner, you say to yourself "Well, it's probably to do with the asphalt in that corner, so we'll take a few percent off the grip level". An -hey presto- the car goes at the right speed through the corner, and everyone thinks they've done a good job.

This is exactly what we had with one circuit that wasn't laser-scanned, and we reduced the grip in one specific corner. Then along came the laser-scan, which (to look at) wasn't different from the original ... but suddenly the correlation was excellent without the need for reduced grip. The reason was that the bumps in the surface were causing load fluctuations at the contact patch, and this causes grip to drop (which is why you want as much damping on your car as you can get).

Now we start to see the difference between a game and a simulation. In the game, the car will always lose grip in that corner, because the grip-loss is built into the circuit. But in the simulation, it might be possible to fit the car with better dampers, and reduce the load fluctuations, and go through the corner faster. If you're just using your sim for circuit-learning then the game will probably be OK, and the lap-times will be about right, as will the top speed, apex speeds etc. But if you want to do any serious engineering work, you need to have a simulation that not only gives the correct results, but gives them for the correct physical reason ... so that if you modify your car, its performance will vary in a realistic way.

So if you look at the case of improving the damping, you need to model a damper in such a way that it has the same force-vs-velocity characterisitcs as the real one. So you need an actual damper and a test-rig to produce the figures. As far as I know, no game-maker has access to such data, so there's no way that their software can be giving the right answers for the right reasons. And that's just the relatively simple case of dampers ... for aero modelling you need a wind tunnel to produce the numbers! Want to make a realistic engine? You'll need a real engine and a dynamometer to measure it ... and you'll then need to incorporate a real F1 SECU to control the model, otherwise its behaviour will not be correct.

And that is why it gets my goat, when somebody asks "Is it based on a game?"

END OF RANT

Thanks for all this interesting info, Jimmy 👍 It's great to hear stuff from the horses mouth, (so to speak)

Back