Willow Springs... WHY?!

• Thread starter Mr Marvel
  • 79 comments
Here's my hypothesis.

Quite often, a code change needs to happen that prevents some catastrophic bug. In the case, I think there's been a change to how collisions are done.

This change may require reworking of all the tracks.

Le Mans is the most glaring omission. It's all over the scapes, but no playable track, which seems VERY strange.

I love willow springs & especially the streets of willow & horse theif mile but no one seems to like it so i can't have a good competitive race on these tracks :(

Send me a request, I also love Willow, Big Willow is my favorite ribbon though. Streets was very fun learning to stay consistent on though. Great technical track imo.

Mr Marvel
Why on earth would they choose to include Willow Springs?

Does anyone have a good reason for this?
It literally says why all over the track. Because it's the fastest road in the west. :sly:

WSIR_IMG_1337.jpg

That's a crappy excuse. The truth is they have an outdated way of creating cars and tracks that takes way too long relative to the competition. They are stuck in their ways and still haven't changed. We'll see new stuff but not at the same rate and if anything the next GT game on PS4 will have more included from the start as it will be their second attempt using this system's specs.

Let's be fair, in PD less people work than in the competition
The worst is the absence of iconic clues from the franchise. They are the identity of the game. It seems lazy and sloppy.
I love these comments, as if to create fictitious circuits and at that level is loose jajajajajaja in order, the work of PD always undervalued

I like Willow Spring, also with balloons give a beauty, thanks to PD I see the beauty in the deserts.

I would also like more clues, I think it is because they are "super premium", in note that within the circuits is cuiadado millimeter, you can see how the sand or record invades the track in a random way, and that is should. If the DLCs are free (all) we should not worry

It’s a legendary race track, the oldest in the US I think (waiting to be corrected)

It’s quite fun but I do agree I would rather have more classic tracks in the game, especially apricot hill and midfield raceway

I believe that honor goes to the Milwaukee Mile.

LMAO. Guys... Guys. The Indianapolis Motor Speedway is the oldest in the United States. It opened in 1909... Willow Springs opened in 1953.

OT: I very much like Willow Springs, but I do agree other tracks are more deserving. I'd love to see:

Autodromo Internacional Do Algarve
Red Bull Ring
Silverstone
Circuit of the Americas
Daytona International Speedway (Speedway & Road Course)
Indy (Speedway and Road Course)
Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca
Road America
Sonoma Raceway
Texas Motor Speedway (Speedway & Road Course)
Texas World Speedway (Speedway & Road Course)
Watkins Glen
Fuji
Martinsville Speedway
Virginia International Raceway
Sebring

Last edited:
Because they already had the height map laying around the office and it requires a minimum amount of scenery modeling, and the track count was low and it was easy to include this one.

When I think of all the great tracks in past GT games which are missing from GT Sport...

- Tsukuba Circuit
- Spa
- Monza
- Laguna Seca
- Circuit De La Sarthe
- Monaco (Cote D'Azur)
- Grand Valley
- Deep Forest
- High Speed Ring
...etc

Why on earth would they choose to include Willow Springs over these?
Maybe it's just me, but I do not find Willow Springs to be a fun track at all. It's just tedious imo.

Does anyone have a good reason for this?

I think haters just stink at driving. How you could possibly hate a track that has TWO sweeping wide turns, oh give them tricky exits. But to each their own, people seem to enjoy tracks that force you to slow to a crawl every five seconds.

Probably it is time they needed to remake this track, since it is pretty simple in surroundings compared to Spa or some other tracks. Then maybe there is licensing also... who knows...

But TBH with you, I don't like it too... those two smaller layouts are good for smaller cars and karts, but sadly, we only have the 6 speed faster one now, so it is not so fun :)

And worse thing of all, I didn't see any of those layouts in daily races up until now, or I missed it...

Probably it is time they needed to remake this track, since it is pretty simple in surroundings compared to Spa or some other tracks. Then maybe there is licensing also... who knows...

But TBH with you, I don't like it too... those two smaller layouts are good for smaller cars and karts, but sadly, we only have the 6 speed faster one now, so it is not so fun :)

And worse thing of all, I didn't see any of those layouts in daily races up until now, or I missed it...
PD has been ignoring horse thief mile/streets of willow / the small Tokyo variants. Why? They are difficult tracks .

I think haters just stink at driving. How you could possibly hate a track that has TWO sweeping wide turns, oh give them tricky exits. But to each their own, people seem to enjoy tracks that force you to slow to a crawl every five seconds.

The track layout is good, but it is visually one of the least appealing tracks in the entire world. It's in the middle of what is basically desert. Woo.

There are plenty of tracks that are both a great drive and make excellent use of GTS' fantastic visuals.

Because they already had the height map laying around the office and it requires a minimum amount of scenery modeling, and the track count was low and it was easy to include this one.

It was also in GT6, so it was only a matter of porting over the majority of reused assets, so their work was even easier.

The track layout is good, but it is visually one of the least appealing tracks in the entire world. It's in the middle of what is basically desert. Woo.

There are plenty of tracks that are both a great drive and make excellent use of GTS' fantastic visuals.
I think the vistas gorgeous, but then again I drove through the region a few summers ago. Nothing like fresh desert air at dusk.

LMAO. Guys... Guys. The Indianapolis Motor Speedway is the oldest in the United States. It opened in 1909... Willow Springs opened in 1953.

OT: I very much like Willow Springs, but I do agree other tracks are more deserving. I'd love to see:

Red Bull Ring
Silverstone
Circuit of the Americas
Road America
Sonoma Raceway
Texas World Speedway (Speedway & Road Course)
Watkins Glen
Fuji
Martinsville Speedway
Virginia International Raceway
Sebring
Most of those tracks you're asking for are already in Pcars 2 if you want them "virtually"

In concrete, together with a lot of more tracks...from your list those are in the game :

Red Bull Ring
Silverstone
Circuit of the Americas
Road America
Sonoma Raceway
Watkins Glen
Fuji

Would be great to see more real world tracks in GT Sport...

And sure the last two tracks they scaned

Isle of Man
Pikes Peak hillclimb

I think the vistas gorgeous, but then again I drove through the region a few summers ago. Nothing like fresh desert air at dusk.

I'm sure it's a nice place to be in real life. That doesn't necessarily translate to an engaging gaming experience.

Most of those tracks you're asking for are already in Pcars 2 if you want them "virtually"

In concrete, together with a lot of more tracks...from your list those are in the game :

Red Bull Ring
Silverstone
Circuit of the Americas
Road America
Sonoma Raceway
Watkins Glen
Fuji

Would be great to see more real world tracks in GT Sport...

And sure the last two tracks they scaned

Isle of Man
Pikes Peak hillclimb

Well aware, I have PC2 :) I've enjoyed GTS more however, so I'd love to see those tracks come this way

Last edited:
PD has been ignoring horse thief mile/streets of willow / the small Tokyo variants. Why? They are difficult tracks .

PD hardly uses big willow in any daily/FiA races. I hate their scheduling.
1 or 2 seasons ago, the nation's championship had suzuka twice... Now I love suzuka a lot, but I'd much rather see more variety.

Why not use big willow more often? Or those Willow Street courses which haven't been used at all? Why did PD include tracks in this game they do not utilize?

Also, why is rally in this game? They should have cut rally and included rallycross... They're partnered with the FiA, they have rallycross. But instead, we have rally which is completely ignored by sport mode.

Last edited:
I'm sure it's a nice place to be in real life. That doesn't necessarily translate to an engaging gaming experience.
To each their own but Willow is probably the most engaging location in GT Sport for me right now. The fictional tracks may have a lot more going on around them but they don't feel any more interesting and, if anything, come off as completely inauthentic.

You can see the emptiness for miles around Willow Springs. No, you don't feel like you're running the 24 Hours of Le Mans because it's a little club racing circuit. But that's just the setting many of the cars in this game feel right at home in and there isn't really anything else like it in the game.

I was just thinking of this today, I have no clue why PD included the horrible Willow Springs tracks in the game. Maybe it's an easier/cheaper license than the other more deserving tracks?? I think PD included it because they can up the track count with 5 track spots using Willow.. ugh. Only Big Willow is usable as far as actual racing is concerned, the other tracks are just wasted space. I can see Kaz was sitting in his office like.. "Yeah Spa or la Sarthe sure would be nice to be included in this game but the fans are just clamoring for the Willow Springs Horse Thief Mile track and Streets of Willow.. I can't let the fans down!"

I also would exchange the Willow Springs tracks for a number of other tracks that are not in the game yet, primarily the Sarthe (LeMans) tracks. Not sure why they chose Willow Springs. I think we just need to be patient. I know that is asking a lot in this age of instant gratification, comparing GT Sport to other games, etc etc. But I think it's a sure thing to say we will be enjoying this game for many years... if you don't give up on it.

Remember that this big new content release with a bunch of cars and GT League and a new track, it came only 2 months after the game's initial release. Not too bad, really. And how much more content was promised before May 2018 -- or was it March? Anyway, lots more to come kids! :D

I don't mind it, it is something different and is in fact quite challenging to drive because of the constant danger of running wide

I hate the little windy toy versions though.

It's a track with a lot of history. And it's great for drifting.

Not a personal favourite of mine, but I think it's OK really.

Back