Wings and downforce.

United States
The 813RD Tampa
Hells_Disciple
Is downforce useful for drifting in any way? I never looked into how it effects the drift. Any insight and feedback to know how it works would help a lot for future drift tunes.

It definitely increases stability and I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure it SLIGHTLY speeds up your drift.

Stability is defiantly needed in some of my drift cars. And if it does speed up the drift, that would make it all the more exciting. Thanks.

Downforce:

Front: Higher number will increaese oversteer and, add drifting speed. Lower number will increase understeer, and drift slower.
Rear: Higher number will increase understeer, but drift faster. Lower number will increase oversteer, but drift slower.

More at Kyoki drift team thread

IRL:Yes, downforce does help for straight line stability. Downforce also occurs at speeds beyond about 120mph.
In GT5:It may help slightly or not at all as some of the "realistic characteristics" aren't very accurate.
I hope this helps.

MiDriftSmoke
IRL:Yes, downforce does help for straight line stability. Downforce also occurs at speeds beyond about 120mph.
In GT5:It may help slightly or not at all as some of the "realistic characteristics" aren't very accurate.
I hope this helps.

120mph? It can come into effect around 20mph! And it does help quite a bit with speed.

I'm pretty sure he was talking about real life too. You can creat downforce at any speed...

Depends the design. An F1 car will put down way more downforce at 50mph that an STI straight out of the factory.

MiDriftSmoke
Yeah probably in GT5, but IRL it only comes into play at around 120mph give or take.

It's the same in real life too. Race Cars don't always go 120mph, but they still always make wing and splitter adjustments. A drift car seldom goes 120mph, so why would they have big wings etc? If what your saying is true, then all that would be a waste of money, and they aren't buying them for no logical reason.

Yeah probably in GT5, but IRL it only comes into play at around 120mph give or take.

It's relative to speed. At low speeds it has a lesser effect but it still works.

Heres an image of an FSAE car, which can barely hit more than 50-60mph due to regulation restrictions and course layout:

comp1.jpg

It still performs, this won the 2009 event in Australia I believe, despite incurring a 2 minute time penalty.

In general, wings are freaking ugly. If i can not use, i wont use it. If i have to, i use the smaller number as possible (-5 or -10)

As most cars dont have front downforce (non-racing cars), lets ignore it. Speaking about rear downforce, i feel that is progressive and starts around from 60 km/h. Its a diferent way of face the car´s behavior, because you will gotta be used to understand what downforce will hold your back depending what speed you are running.

Take as exemple Suzuka East (+/- 100 km/h) vs Fuji D1 (+/- 180 km/h). While in Suzuka you will run faster with more rear control and grip, you will must get used to fight against the downforce on Fuji. Im not saying that is good or bad, but in general is diferent.

Stills, its freaking ugly.

Latest Posts

Back