WipEout project : help me choose Gr.3 cars

• Thread starter RevoCHX
  • 18 comments
France
Blois
Hello,

tl;dr: name the GT Sport Gr.3 cars that should be in a top 14 list, performance wise.

I'm starting a liveries project where I plan to represent the 14 teams from the WipEout game, on 14 different Gr.3 cars in GT Sport.

I want to pick appropriate Gr.3 cars, that kinda match the original country/style of the WipEout teams, and also perform good in GT Sport. It's pointless to do a cool design on a car that nobody will want to use because it's bad in its category. I need suggestions for that, especially from good players who have experience with various Gr.3 cars in serious events. Even if you don't know about WipEout!

So far I selected the following Gr.3 cars:

- Porsche 911 RSR (for Feisar team), as it seems very popular
- Subaru WRX (for Harimau or Goteki 45 team), as I'm a fan of this brand in real life
- Mitsubishi Lancer Evo (for Quirex team), as it's a good allround car I think, and legendary rival of the Subaru
- Dodge Viper SRT (for Piranha team), as it's pretty fast in top speed and seems to be appreciated by some players
- Honda NSX (for AG Systems team), since it's supposed to represent Japan and I think the Honda brand is the most iconic for that

Any really bad choices in these? I think they perform ok.
Now to choose the rest to fill the 9 remaining slots.

- I want to choose a BMW for Mirage team. What model do you recommend : Z4, M3 or M6?
- I need a car from the UK for Icaras team. What do you recommend : McLaren F1, McLaren 650S, or the latest Aston GT1?
- I need a car to represent USA for Auricom team. Is the Corvette C7 any good? Or should I go for a Ford (and which one)?
- What are good italian cars in the Gr.3 category : Ferrari vs Lambo vs Alfa, which should absolutely make it to the top 14?

Don't hesitate to name popular choices among expert racers, that you think should be in the final list.
Any inputs welcome :)

Thanks!

Edit:
Let me add info about the WipEout teams. As you can't destroy your car in GTS, the resistance caracteristics are useless info but I'll still mention it if it can help you understand the philosophy behind the car/ship and make appropriate suggestions.

Feisar (Europe) - good allrounder, very stable
AG Systems (Japan) - good allrounder, high stability and thrust
Quirex (Russia) - good allrounder, resistant
Auricom (USA) - high speed, not too stable, resistant
GOTEKI 45 (Makana island) - high thrust
Piranha (Brasi) - high speed, not too stable, resistant
Assegai (Africa) - good allrounder, but fragile
EG-X (China + Finland) - good thrust and speed
Icaras (UK) - good speed and stability, a bit fragile
Harimau (Malaysia) - good speed and stability, a bit less thrust and resistance
Triakis (Australia) - high speed, unstable, very resistant
Mirage (Arab Emirates) - good allrounder
Tigron (Russia) - high speed, balanced
Van Über (Germany) - good speed and very agile, a bit fragile

Also, to illustrate: I did a first try at the Harimau livery on the Falken BRZ. I intend to work harder for the Gr.3 liveries, I think it's a cool project for the WipEout fans out there who also play GT Sport.

8646938850325726720_23.jpg

Last edited:
If you want to be as literal as possible:

Feisar are Italian and very manoeuvrable at the expense of top speed. Alfa Romeo.
Qirex are Russian and comparatively poor at handling while having good shields and decent top speed. Lamborghini.
AG-Systems I think a better Japanese fit for them would be Toyota, since they're more heavily affiliated with GT at the moment. Do the FT-1, since it's more futuristic.
Auricom, to me Ford is the most quintessential American manufacturer in the game and I'd put the livery on a Mustang, but any choice is good here.
Piranha are very good in a straight line, Dodge seems a decent choice (and with a passing physical resemblance to the HD-era ship model).
Assegai are generally surprisingly agile, so I'd pick Subaru.
Icarus should be the McLaren F1 if you want to go as literal as possible, although the DBR9 is more 'British'
EG-X have Finnish origins, so you could use Mitsubishi for their rally history.
Harimau are the token hippies, as far as I'm aware the Citroen has the best fuel economy in the game.
Mirage are pretty useless, so I'd go Hyundai. If you really want a BMW, the Z4 and the M3 are your choice here.
Triakis are the militant Australians, I guess you could use Chevrolet for Auricom and use the Ford GT here.
Goteki 45 are the most violent team going, but I'm not sure how you would judge which GT manufacturer has the most punt-happy drivers.

PS Tigron should be Nissan and Van Uber should be Volkswagen

I didn't plan to include Tigron and Van Über, but why not. More work for me, but picking 14 cars instead of 12 should reduce the headache.

I have to agree with you on most of those choices stpatty (I was also editing the first post to add that kind of info on the teams). Considering the origins and style of the teams, it makes sense. However, in the hope that these liveries are used by more than 2 or 3 casual players, I wish to include popular Gr.3 models that perform good. I can't just stick to the WipEout spirit and ignore how they score in GT Sport. For example the Porsche RSR isn't in your list, and I think that's problematic. I may be wrong but it's a very common choice, isn't it? (at least it used to be). As for Mirage (that I personnaly find to be ok), I wouldn't pick the Hyundai if this car is crap in GT Sport (I haven't really seen it on the tracks?). I want all cars to be competitive :)

Fair enough. You can get a rough idea of the most successful and popular cars by looking at the current standings in the Manufacturer Series: https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gtsport/sportmode/championship/2256/manufacturer_ranking

I'd say those are fairly consistent over the time the game's been out, but Jaguar and Lexus have fallen behind after the most recent handling update.

Be sure to post whatever you come up with in the Livery Editor forum, I know there are a few WipEout fans in there.

Thanks stpatty, I will check your link.
I sure will keep you updated with the work, and post the liveries in the appropriate section :)

Actually I'm thinking of doing 2 batches and keep Tigron and Van Über out of the list. So that would be 2x12 liveries, and plenty of room for all interesting Gr.3 cars to get a spot. I just have to keep motivation all the way through...

First things first, I'm going to create all the SVG decals I need.

Think the Vantage GT3 and Audi R8 would also be good for Icaras and Van Über respectively, since the former's a direct successor to the DBR9 and the R8 is a very capable machine on a lot of tracks.

I've just discovered the proper decal search engine works again, so you can search here for lots of good pre-existing WipEout decals, particularly the sponsors which are really useful for making the liveries look a bit more like real cars too.

I've just discovered the proper decal search engine works again, so you can search here for lots of good pre-existing WipEout decals, particularly the sponsors which are really useful for making the liveries look a bit more like real cars too.

Wow thanks that will be of great help! I only knew about the ingame search engine, that splits results into limited periods of time, so browsing through all the pages is a total hasstle. I didn't know there were already so many decals done, almost makes my project look pointless.

Like you say, the sponsors will be very useful. I was worried about these the most, concerning the amount of time it would require, while I could easily redo the teams logos.

This is the current state of the cars list:
wipeout12.PNG

Looks not bad to me, although it may still require some arrangements.

The Renault and Alfa are light and nimble, so Feisar it is.
Viper and Ferrari are absolute rockets I believe, so they go to Piranha.
The Lambo and Citroen have sharp shapes that fit good to the "manga" looks of Goteki.

Further suggestions/modifications are welcome based on this table. I'm struggling to fill the 2nd spot for Triakis, that I don't like at all.
Unused yet are Peugeot RCZ (meh), Jaguar, Volkswagen Beetle (meh), and BMW Z4. I don't want to put VisionGT stuff in there.

@JayRS200 : Both McLaren + an Aston Martin isn't going to be possible I believe. We'll most probably have to pick one of each brand :/

@VulcanSpirit : Do you think I should choose the Vantage GT3 over the DBR9 GT1? The game gives the GT1 better specs, but I haven't tried them myself.

Last edited:
I'm going off more of the body shape here more than anything, but here's how I'd do it if I was given the task. I'm picking all the cars based on how well I think the liveries of the FX350 craft would fit on the body of each car in GT Sport. Classifying them all by their attributes is fine, but I think consideration needs to be taken into how well the shapes correlate between each craft and car.

FEISAR - Ferrari 458 GT3
AG Systems - McLaren 650s GT3/Honda NSX GT3
Harimau - McLaren 650s GT3/Honda NSX GT3
Quirex - Lexus RC-F GT3
GOTEKI 45 - Aston Martin DBR9 GT1
Auricom - Chevrolet Corvette Gr.3
Mirage - Volkswagen Beetle Gr.3
Piranha - Dodge Viper GT3-R
Icaras - Jaguar F-Type Gr.3
Triakis - Ford Mustang Gr.3
Assegai - Lamborghini Huracan GT3
Van Uber - Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3
Tigron - Nissan GT-R GT3/BMW M6 GT3

That's probably the list I would go with. Generally if the craft in HD has a forward cockpit, you'd want a mid-engine car, and vice-versa. But if you take away anything from this, PLEASE make the Beetle the Mirage car.

Personally, I'm agree with @MisterWaffles 's list, I've done recently liveries with every teams for a community championship (only with the AMG and the M6) and it's work pretty well for Van Über and Tigron
8502866478257668649_23.jpg

6566350588799354384_23.jpg

I tried to reproduce the patterns of the Fury ships for most of them. Feel free to check my gallery for the other teams if you need inspiration

Additionally to the decal search engine there's also a livery search engine :
https://gts.gt-beginners.net/livery/?cartag=&searchword=Wipeout&type=0&lang=us&d=

The only reason I played WipeOut was because it was the free game after the PS3 server hack in 2011, so I'm not well versed in all the ships and lore around it. But going by your descriptions, here are what I'll choose and the short reasons:

Feisar (Europe) - good all rounder, very stable - AMG GT3 or BMW M6 or Beetle (pretty much the car of choice for rookies)
AG Systems (Japan) - good all rounder, high stability and thrust - Lexus or Toyota (Honda isn't stable, Atenza/WRX/Evo has poor top speed so not all rounder, GT-R has high top speed but poor traction)
Quirex (Russia) - good all rounder, resistant - Citroen (one of the most stable MR cars, plus looks menacing just like Mother Russia :lol:)
Auricom (USA) - high speed, not too stable, resistant - Ford GT (3rd fastest car in top speed and MR so not too stable)
GOTEKI 45 (Makana island) - high thrust - Atenza (highest BOP power, great acceleration out of corners)
Piranha (Brasil) - high speed, not too stable, resistant - Peugeot VGT (2nd fastest car, some power oversteer issues due to turbo kicking in, plus looks like a shark)
Assegai (Africa) - good all rounder, but fragile - Alfa Romeo (average everywhere, kerbs and collisions can easily unsettle it due to low weight)
EG-X (China + Finland) - good thrust and speed - Nissan GT-R (as per description, also both have 3 letter names), alternatively Hyundai (because Korea is close to China)
Icaras (UK) - good speed and stability, a bit fragile - Aston (decent speed & stable but poor fuel consumption)
Harimau (Malaysia) - good speed and stability, a bit less thrust and resistance - Jaguar (stable, has been nerfed in power recently, also Harimau means Tiger in Malaysian ;))
Triakis (Australia) - high speed, unstable, very resistant - McLaren F1 (fastest car, old car so low grip compared to others, Bruce McLaren was from New Zealand so close to Australia) or Ferrari (decent speed, probably the most unstable Gr.3)
Mirage (Arab Emirates) - good all rounder - Porsche (all rounder and one of the more "posh" brands so suitable for the rich Arabs)
Tigron (Russia) - high speed, balanced - Dodge or Mustang or Chevy (decent speed, stable cars to the point of slight understeer)
Van Über (Germany) - good speed and very agile, a bit fragile - Audi R8 or Huracan (one of the fastest cars over one lap due to handling, but rear tyre wear is killer)

Also it might be worth checking out Tidgney's descriptions of each car in his BOP test for further detail: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/group-3-bop-testing.375377/

The only reason I played WipeOut was because it was the free game after the PS3 server hack in 2011, so I'm not well versed in all the ships and lore around it. But going by your descriptions, here are what I'll choose and the short reasons:

Also it might be worth checking out Tidgney's descriptions of each car in his BOP test for further detail: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/group-3-bop-testing.375377/
HellfireWZ's 'history' on WipEout teams is a godsend if you want to get up to speed on that side of the games. Was completely blown away by it all after investigating it when I downloaded the Omega Collection last year (and got a taste for the 'classic' soundtracks in the process).

Thanks for the cool inputs guys. Some good points, might make me rearrange the list.

I gave a go at Feisar on the Renault this morning. It still needs some additions and polishing, but here's how it looks so far:

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20200517140144.jpg

Colors look horribly pale on the PC after exporting, that's almost not worth sharing. Trust me it looks super crisp on the PS4.

Thanks for the cool inputs guys. Some good points, might make me rearrange the list.

I gave a go at Feisar on the Renault this morning. It still needs some additions and polishing, but here's how it looks so far:

View attachment 921441

Colors look horribly pale on the PC after exporting, that's almost not worth sharing. Trust me it looks super crisp on the PS4.
Looking good so far. I once considered doing a Feisar livery on the Gr.X R.S.01 for an endurance race last year before settling on this AG-Systems scheme:

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20191107101800.png

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20191107101814.png

My ideal concept would be, based on how I see those cars, aesthetic-wise, the following:

AG Systems - Porsche 911 RSR
F.E.I.S.A.R. - Ferrari 458 Italia GT3
Auricom - Chevrolet Corvette C7 Gr. 3
Qirex - Mercedes-AMG GT3
Piranha - Ford GT LM Spec II Test Car
Goteki 45 - Toyota GR Supra Racing Concept
Icaras - Aston Martin DBR9 GT1
Assegai - Peugeot RCZ Gr. 3
Triakis - Audi R8 LMS
Van-Uber - Lamborghini Huracan GT3
Tigron - Mazda RX-Vision GT3 Concept
Harimau - Renault Sport R.S.01 GT3
EG-X - McLaren F1 GTR
Mirage - Ford Mustang Gr. 3

Oh, and for Gr. 4 too:

AG Systems - Ford Mustang Gr. 4
F.E.I.S.A.R. - Ferrari 458 Italia Gr. 4
Auricom - Chevrolet Corvette C7 Gr. 4
Qirex - Honda NSX Gr. 4
Piranha - Renault Sport Megane Trophy
Goteki 45 - BMW M4 Gr. 4
Icaras - Porsche Cayman GT4 Clubsport
Assegai - Toyota 86 Gr. 4
Triakis - Audi TT Cup
Van-Uber - McLaren 650S Gr. 4
Tigron - Mazda Atenza Gr. 4
Harimau - Alfa Romeo 4C Gr. 4
EG-X - Subaru WRX Gr. 4
Mirage - Dodge Viper Gr. 4

I honestly think that F.E.I.S.A.R. liveries look good if they were on a Ferrari, Auricom with the Vette, Tigron with Mazda race cars, and Triakis with Audi.

Last edited:
@VulcanSpirit : looking great!

I've just finished the first version of the FEISAR R.S.01

20200517164940.jpg 20200517164946.jpg

I think I might just share it in the game to show the actual colors and have feedback, and see if modifications are needed.

Edit: shared after a few light changes. Tags to look for it are #wipeout #feisar #renault.
https://www.gran-turismo.com/fr/gtsport/user/livery/11108157/1/7647208995299558912

I'm pretty happy with the result, my only concern is that it's very shiny, both the paint and stickers have the default gloss finish. I wish I could use a metal paint and other sticker appearance, but I sometimes use stickers that have the same color as the paintjob to hide parts of other stickers. This trick only works flawlessly with both gloss finish.

7647208995299558912_23.jpg

Last edited:
Back