Without question! WORST A.I. EVER!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Donatelllo
  • 31 comments
  • 3,193 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
Messages
28
Messages
Donatelllo
Yep, as the title says...WORST A.I. EVER!

I have been a gamer for almost 32 years now. I have played em all! But for a game that SHOULD have exceptional programming...this takes the cake, eats it and craps it out on your lap where it comes to it's A.I.

PD...hang your heads in shame...GT4 was a mountain better with dealing with B-Spec, A-Spec with other racers. These morons racing around just do the same thing over and over....same line, same speed, if you are in their way, they bump you and you go flying. However, if you bump them, they hold their line (most of the time) and keep going.

Then as I am writing this....Bob who was running 4th in his Minolta, just decided to pass two cars on the last lap to end up running 2nd. He would not pass them for the last 6 laps, but decides to do it now.

Frustrated with the overall gameplay and wondering if anyone wants to buy a copy of GT5 (Giant Turd 5).

I will buy GT6, there is no two ways about that. But if they pull this load of BS with it....I reckon goin postal is the least I can do!
 
Valid point but about the 100th thread about it. GT4 is seeming to be the better game in most peoples views. I'll reserve jugdement myself until I've played a years worth of '5.
 
If you really want to see bad AI, go online. Holy crap.
 
There are just not enough threads about the A.I.

If only you could race human players instead of AI. Wouldn't that be cool?
 
Yep there are not enough threads about A.I. Perhaps if there were, someone might listen and do something about it!

Just to top off my initial whinge about A.I. Bob has just run a race where he is a level 17, over 9 laps, and ran out of both physical and mental strength by lap 5. He was in 5 place at this time. He finished in 2nd place after I just spammed the 'push harder' over and over.

Come on PD...where is the love!??!!???

Edit: On the bright side....I am gaining a few credits for all this tedious work thou!?!
 
Last edited:
OP, what were you expecting? I'm not going to be a d'bag and tell you to make your own AI, but it's not as easy as typing

AI = Good

into their computers. IMO the AI is pretty decent, some back markers even let you pass easily. And this is like the 500th thread on this. They couldn't make a game catered to each individuals idea of what GT5 should be, there's over 5 million people playing GT5, naturally it's not going to suit everyone. My advice would be to stop complaining, accept it and enjoy it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
GT5's AI SUCKS completely and is the biggest flaw of the game by lightyears! Such bad programming is paradoxical as this team is supposed to be good in programming. I am just thinking that japanese people are like that- paradoxical. People calling Kazunori Yamauchi a perfectionist are simply lizards, or blinded fanboys, maybe even both.
 
AI is fine here, maybe your game is broken.
 
GT5's AI SUCKS completely and is the biggest flaw of the game by lightyears! Such bad programming is paradoxical as this team is supposed to be good in programming. I am just thinking that japanese people are like that- paradoxical. People calling Kazunori Yamauchi a perfectionist are simply lizards, or blinded fanboys, maybe even both.

What ? How AI can suck because of bad programming ?
Bad programming causes game not run correctly, it doesn't make AI bad...
AI was designed by game designers and then programmers programmed it into the game following the design. So its not programmers fault...

But seriously, I can't believe how bad AI is. Few times it made me turn off the game. AI like this makes competitive races and licenses really frustrating because its not my own fault that I lost race / license... I know that expert players don't have problems with AI, but everyone else have problems with it for sure...
If AI cars are faster then player they push you like you don't exist. And what is funny is that this could be easiely fixed, if they just put more effort to it...
Also when I have a little crash, if AI is behind me that usually means I am gonna fall from 1st to last position because they just keep bumping into you until you let them all pass...:grumpy:

p.s. sorry for my bad English :)
 
If they are faster they push you like you don't exist.

Yes, the AI drive like real people. It's pretty amazing how well PD replicated this. Seriously. All the gripes about current and past iterations of AI, with their ramming, early braking, doggedly maintaining their racing line with no deviation, and little to no regard for their surroundings... it's all been to prepare us for racing against real people online. Well played, PD... well played.
 
A.I. is fine. I'm sure there are times we all brake too early, or hold a line when we probably shouldn't. If the A.I. was changed, to meet your expectations, wouldn't they destroy you? They are suppose to make mistakes or take risks, or not take risks for that matter. You're not perfect, why should they be? Hence the braking early, holding position, nudging you, etc. Rubbing's racing, right Duvall? ;) I've played all the GT's and read this site for about a year so I finally joined today to give my two cents on this A.I. debate.
 
Well, for me it's not about the A.I. It's about bumping physics. Fact is, that when A.I. touches you, you just fly with minor chance to remain in control of your car. By my opinion, A.I. is competitive. It's not so easy to pass them, as it was in Prologue. Adding the fact that rigidity restore prices are sometimes not funny joke you have to think twice, before you will attempt overtaking A.I. And I noticed one more thing, maybe it's my imagination, but haven't you noticed that if you are doubling them, some are pulling to the side to let you pass through?
 
Last edited:
but haven't you noticed that if you are doubling them, some are pulling to the side to let you pass through.


not in my version of the game, i was in American Challenge in Extreme and whenever they lap the corvettes-the Vets speed up and maintain pace with the leaders causing a major bottleneck and sometimes boxing in my car allowing the leaders to pull away...makes me LOl big time!
 
I actually can love, and hate the AI...

I love it when an AI car tries to pass another car at the last corner of Trial Mountain, and goes over the grass stump, resulting in fail..

I hate it when they have no notice, or care, that I'm on the track too. Like on the NASCAR events... :indiff:
 
How can A.I. ever be like people, how different and varied are people??

There's over 6 billion people on this planet, who are you going to pick as the example to use??

What is normal for one peron can be abnormal for another. Even in motor racing, there are different types of drivers, look at the differences in the Bob's you can get when you select a new one.

Look at motor racing in real life aswell, there's different types of drivers, which one are you going to choose.

Ok, there are issues with how the A.I. drivers drive in GT - isn't there issues, in one way or another, with how AI drivers drive in virtually all driving games or how A.I characters operate, in general in most games??

If you want a reflection of real life racing, then do what everyone else who wants this does, keep looking for likeminded people as yourself, get together and race online in similiar cars with similiar tyres and similiar power to weight ratio's.

That is something that is quite easy to achieve if you use this forum and GT5.
 
No matter how good a game is there is always someone whinging about something. I dont have a problem with AI because i figured out how to comand him and keep him COOL.
 
I don't understand people that defend PD with this tumultuous load of unfinished, unpolished turd that took them 5 years to dump. The AI is pathetic on so many levels. I'm glad the PD defenders are happy with a product that seems to have come from a burnt out group of programmers.

PD took short cuts to make game seem harder but when you really sit back and look at it you see the cheap tactics they employed.

1. The moving land mines in most high speed tracks. They always have a car in that's woefully slow and no matter how high level your Bob is or how much room he has he is programed to slow way way down from a few hundred yards back and then run right into the moving land mines back. This enables the rubberbanding AI to then erase your multiple second lead every time. Cheap way to add suspense. Make the AI drive the car better. Don't cheat the player to make a game harder. Only lazy third string programmers put out products like this. PD you are way better than this.

2. I have a level 36 Bob that still can't get around Cote d'Azur without running into a wall because
he consistently takes a turn too sharp and hits the INSIDE wall of the last turn before the finish line.

3.
End rubberbanding please. Again you are better than that. Put a difficulty slider that the player can
adjust according to their skill level if you want to make this interesting for the player. This is much
better that cheap tricks.

4. My level 35+ drivers still can't complete a pass even when they have the advantage of the inside
line, a much faster car, and a half car lead. Hardly fitting programming for "The Real Driving
Simulator".

5. Why did you program the player to automatically spin out to the right if they run into the back if your pathetically programmed AI? When they hit me from the rear I get rammed off the road an spun around but they just keep going. I catch back up and the same is repeated. Funny how you programmed it so the player can't go off road or hit another car or you get Disqualified in some races/licenses etc but your pathetic AI isn't programmed to be better lol.

Like the OP I've had moments where I wanted to take a scissors to the game disc. PD you need to fill your next patch with some A and B Spec AI love. You are focusing too much on the online portion and forgetting the core problems with this turd you released. I think this is the only turd in the entire history of turds that can actually be polished :)
 
Last edited:
I just ran the FGT Championship and I found it hilarious that the AI spun out before the final turn every single lap on Nurburgring GP. In terms of AI only B Spec Bob pisses me off, the rest doesn't really bother me.
 
The AI is certainly terrible in this game. Worst I've seen this generation - without doubt. And competing against the AI is really the heart-and-soul of the single player portion of any racing game. They run into you because they're not programmed to recognize the existence of a human driver in their midst. They even continue to drive into you well after initial contact is made. And worst of all they're anchored to the track and the player's car receives 99% of the force of any impact, sending you spinning wildly into the the grass while they continue on completely unaffected.

It's obviously not a priority with Polyphony Digital at all.

The awful AI really limits what they can do with the game - it's at the heart of why you can just modify any car to blow away the competition. Because if you couldn't do that, you'd be stuck actually driving in and amongst the AI cars for large portions of each race, and almost everyone would eject the game disk in disgust.

Oh well, this game has some good things about it, while other games have some great things about them. I'm looking forward to buying some of those other games in the future so I can enjoy competing against the AI cars.
 
I think we can all agree that the AI in GT5 is not really one of the strongest selling points, can we? Anybody have another opinion?

Then again, I think it is a pretty big task to design and programm a convincing AI.

But other games / sims have been better in this aspect so this is no excuse.

Especially in BSpec it becomes very obvious. Makes you think if it is a good a idea to implement a feature (Bspec) that focuses on a flaw (AI) so heavily.

But to be really honest, it does not matter to me at all. I don´t play GT to have awesome offline Races. I do play GT because I want to take cars that I love and drive them on the ring. That is pretty much it.

I know that this is a pretty subjective point of view, but that is how I see it. I have never been a offline racer in any game / sim. It has allways been hotlapping or online racing for me.
 
My only beef with the A.I (B-Spec) is when you already lap them once they still try to battle you for position as if your neck to neck on the final lap for 1st... im like Move B***h Get Out The Way!!!!
 
Other games has just as bad AI. Fm3 AI is just as bad except in Gt5 AI cars are heavy as a tank compared to yours. Simbin games seems to have descent AI. Only thing I hate about Simbin is the AI is super fast in qualifying and then really slow on the first lap in the race.
 
Last edited:
Better AI in GT4?! You're joking, right?

That game didn't even have anything that could in any feasible way be called artificial intelligence, just brainless automatons on rails.

The AI in GT5 is certainly not the best I've seen either (not that I've ever actually seen truly amazing AI yet in any racing game, from arcade racers to hardcore PC sims. Edit: SimBin games, as Zoom!Zoom mentioned above, probably have the best AI I've seen, though still far from flawless), but amidst the many mistakes and questionable moves the GT5 AI drivers make, at least they pretend to actually race and actively fight for positions with both the player and each other.
 
I dont understand people that defend PD with this tumultuous load of unfinished, unpolished turd that took them 5 years to dump. The AI is pathetic on so many levels. Im glad the PD defenders are happy with a product that seems to have come from a burnt out group of programers.
.
.
.
.
.

Because of the same reason some (a lot of) people finding everything "cool" and by everything that comes from apple....


Fact is that GT5 is the worst GT ever - they took out so many things from previous GTs and the things that are in are just put together in a rush - seriously "A-Spec Mode" must have been "created" by a trainee in his lunch break - Also GT1 had a better A-Spec even it was not called so back than...

Also a fact is that PD keeps trash talking - since they were talking about GT2 they promise us that the "next" GT will have - the best AI we have ever seen, best sound in a video game ever etc. But what happened? Nothing AI is worst than ever and sound did improve only very very slightly... Most Cars in GT5 still sound more like a vacuum cleaner more than a real car.

And Fanboyyyyys here do not have any arguments here - everytime they come up with the same crap like:

"If you do not like GT5 it was not made fore you" - So why were GT1 - GT4 "made for me" then?

"Its not the right game for you - because it is not a game but the "holy moly real driving simulator"" - No it is not - GT5 does "simulate" real drive feeling quite well in may points but it is far far far away of "real". For example the feeling of speed - in GT5 (and also in previous GTs) driving 200km/h looks like driving 50 km/h in real live...

"Its a simulator - it is not meant to be fun" - What is it meant to be?? And why then were GT1 to GT4 fun?



But event if GT6 will be a two hour video of the fanboy's godlike creator "KAZ" sitting on the pot and - they will still scream how great it is ......
 
To everyone who mentioned the quality of real human drivers, you aren't racing miss Marple on her weekend shop you are meant to be racing against professional drivers.

So what happens online or with other humans should make no difference or bearing on this issue at all.
 
Good AI isn't AI that never makes mistakes and drives perfectly. Realistic AI makes mistakes and does stupid things - just like humans. The fact is the AI can be good, can be bad and can be average and this simply reflects the way things are in reality across a spectrum of drivers.

This is exacerbated more in games because humans tend to take far more risks when driving in a game than in real life (where mistakes might equal death or a costly repair bill). If you slam on your brakes at last minute on a corner don't expect an AI driver to always be able to avoid you. If you take risks and cut someone up, expect trouble. It would be really easy to create AI that never came into contact with anyone, but that wouldn't be realistic. If I'm honest, most of the problems I've had with AI are to do with my driving rather than theirs.

And, yes, of course there are flaws in GT's AI - creating realistic AI is an incredibly difficult thing to do well and is one of the hardest problems there is in computer science. I really wish people had a bit more clue about what is involved before they so casually dismiss it in such grossly exaggerated terms.
 
I love it when the whole pack of cars drive directly through your car like you are invisible and just trys to push you out the way instead of simply driving around. This can last about 30 seconds until every single car has done the exact same thing
 
Oh and I forgot to mention the stupid Krazy Glue effect if you touch another car in the back. You cant let go and are stuck going where ever that car goes. I remember one time I just did not accelerate after hitting car in front [the AI deliberately swerved in front of me on a straight:grumpy:]. I could not unhitch from it by just not accelerating. I got stuck on his bumper all the way to the wall before it let go. This doesn't happen in real life. Bumpers let go. Next time it happened I just hit brakes hard and unhooked. That is the times when it doesn't automatically spin you out to the right when you hit them in the rear.

So to add to my above post:

6. End the Krazy Glue effect please.

7. End the cheezy programing that makes the AI deliberately swerve in front of you for no reason. With all the other infuriating nonsense you programmed the game with this does not help with the FUN factor. If you guys had actually delivered a competent AI package then that little swerving thing would be better received as a hot headed driver etc but as you delivered a turd worthy AI package this is not acceptable. Hey all I can do is gripe as I doubt very much PD wants to improve on this trash to finally deliver what they promised as they already made their money off of us. I hope they prove me wrong.

It would have been nice to see some of the same AI Driver names that gave you trouble return from time to time so you can actually have a dreaded feeling seeing there names on the starting grid again and again. This would have added some "realness", specialness to this lame AI at the very least. Only one Ive seen is the J. Bond guy in the Lotus. I think PD lost out big time on a chance to add real character to the AI both in A and B Spec.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back