Worried About Slowdowns

• Thread starter Ceyvme
  • 44 comments
WIth a game as complex as this, on the Ps2 I can only think that there will be slowdowns in different places throughout the game. Even games like NFL 2k5 which run fine on the xbox, tend to lag a bit for rain games on the PS2. Have any of the demo's that anyones played had any general slowdowns? Even long loading times? Or has Sony been able to do something to prevent this?

NFL 2K5 was optimised for the XBOX and ported to the PS2. As a result, they had to make some concessions and I'd imagine the slowdown is a result of that conversion.

On the other hand, there IS noticeable slowdown in the Forza demo. Hopefully, that gets ironed out before that game's release.

Of the few videos I've seen for GT4 there are no major slowdowns. With only 6 cars instead of (43 like NASCAR) I dont expect it. But loading may take awhile.

Do you really think Polyphony would spend this long making a game that doesn't run at a suitable rate? No they wouldn't waste their time. Stop the crap threads please.

No GT games have suffered from slow downs and i dont see how this will be any different. Finr it has lots more cars but i really dont think PD would allow it to happen.

It seems people are so fed up of waiting that they start a thread about implausible subjetcs :crazy:

People seem to be confusing what's on the disc with what's in memory. While it's true the game does have a ton of stuff on the disc, not all of that is in memory when you're racing. All that's there is one track, six cars, the control setup, HUD, and five AI routines. That's all.. the same thing that's been in every race since GT1.

And for those that think it's going to take longer to load because it's a "big" game.. I repeat.. one track, six cars, the controls, HUD, and AI. And that's not going to take any longer to load than it ever has. In fact, I think the AI takes longer to load than anything else. On the Toyota demo, the only time you see any load times is when it's loading up one of the replays. When you're just playing (time trial), load time is virtually nonexistant, the load screen doesn't even have time to fully appear before you're at the track.

The most recent GT4 demo has no slow downs or dropped frames. Just like GT3. In fact the load times seem a bit quicker. When loading the Nurburgring Norschleife it is a zippy fast load. I even have an older PS2.

I wouldn't worry about this at all.

All games have some slow down somewhere. GT4 seems to hold up well from what I've played, seems to be a very solid 60 fps, but I'm sure if you TRIED you could make it slow down in some odd way lol.

Gt4 is probs made to take advantage of the ps2 hardware better then say a multiformat game. Exclusive games on both systems tend to run better then those that are multiformat.

GT4P has slow downs during replays. The car and reflections get a little jittery when zooming in with the controller. It maybe only an issue with the "zoom" feature, but happens nevertheless.

It's been a while (when I say a while, I mean well over a year) since I've played GT3, but I'm sure it did slow down once or twice, but this may have been in replays...I may be wrong.

The only issue I've ever had in GT3 is the occasional time were the rearview mirror fill-in lags. I don't think I've ever noticed a gameplay slowdown ever.

linoleum
GT4P has slow downs during replays. The car and reflections get a little jittery when zooming in with the controller. It maybe only an issue with the "zoom" feature, but happens nevertheless.

For a moment I was worried no one had ever noticed the slowdowns in the replays before :sly: I'm not sure about GT3 having slowdowns in replays, but I've seen it in replays ever since GTC at odd times (GT4 : P/latest GT4 demo etc). Ingame its always been pretty flawless apart from occasionally in split screen.

As for no GT game having slowdown.... Hmmm GT1 & GT2 especially come to mind... (And yes I know there PSX games)

usernamed
Its a PS exclusive. But they would make more cash by releasing it on PC...

If they stood to make more money in the long run by making a PC version they would.

The Facts:

1)Gran Turismo is a system seller. Even for snobby PC gamers.

2)They would have to dedicate a team to porting the game to PC, and it would have to be done to PD's standards. Certainly not cheap

3)Console games outsell PC games by a large margin.

4)More people have PS2s than PCs that could maintain Gran Turismo 4 at a solid 60 FPS with reasonable detail levels.

donbenni
Do you really think Polyphony would spend this long making a game that doesn't run at a suitable rate? No they wouldn't waste their time. Stop the crap threads please.

Don't be ignorant.

Ive noticed in Gran Turismo 3 after going back, that it does slowdown in different changes of camera's during replays. Its just not noticeable because generally your cars coming at you. Hopefully they will be able to remedy any problems with slowdowns in replays, or any other part of the game before deployment. I can surely see Gran Turismo as needing alot more system resource to even load a track than all the other gran turismo's combined.

linoleum

That game was made over a year ago and did not run on the final GfX engine.

LaBounti
That game was made over a year ago and did not run on the final GfX engine.

Gee thanks for the clarification there....... I was making a point towards the fact that PD would never release a game with slowdowns. Um, they did.

In the new demo, I've seen a couple times where the video stutters, as if the fields got swapped or something. But very brief and very rare. No slowdown of any kind other than that, even coming down Döttinger Hohe. Literally a mile and a half of sight distance right there.

I guess I'm one of the fortunate who doesn't notice these things or doesn't care. yay for me.

I'm talking about barely perceptible dips in a mostly solid 60fps game.

One game I did notice had lots of slowdown is NFSU. gets pretty choppy a lot of the time.

Sven
In the new demo, I've seen a couple times where the video stutters, as if the fields got swapped or something. But very brief and very rare. No slowdown of any kind other than that, even coming down Döttinger Hohe. Literally a mile and a half of sight distance right there.

that would be shimmering, no? When parts of the background flash in and out briefly?

I don't think that's related to the framerate, it's just a common problem on the ps2.

No, not shimmering. Like the screen "vibration" thing that happened in Prologue, except in briefer and rarer instances.

P.S. The Döttinger Hohe sight distance is actually closer to one mile than one-and-a-half. But still, that's a long sight distance.

Latest Posts

Back