Worries

Argentina
Argentina
Hi everyone! This is my first post, so don't know if this is the right place to ask this. I apologize in advance if it isn't.

There's something that worries me. I've watched the trailer for GT7, and in it they briefly show a classic car dealer, and the prices there are stupidly high (like 40 million credits for a Shelby GT350) It worries me that the game will be ridiculously grindy and that everything is being set up to force you to play online races in order to earn decent credits (which I am not interested in doing).
However, I've read that the japanese versión of GT Sport is set with a yen currency equivalency, so the prices are like 100 times higher compared with other versions that work with Euro/dollar equivalency, and that is why prices in the GT7 trailer are that high (because they show a japanese version of the game, and because that localization difference will also be present GT7).
Is that true? Is there a localization difference in prices in GT Sport? I haven't been able to find much online, except for a brief reply in another forum. Any help with this question will be appreciated.

Screenshot_20211003-002014.png

I uploaded a screenshot of what I mean (92M for a 356 WTF?)

PS: I realize that this worry sounds dumb when compared to more "urgent" worries/doubts most players have about the upcoming GT7, but this worries me because I would hate to see Gran Turismo go down the grindy multiplayer game route, where everything is ridiculously overpriced just to make you keep playing. And yes, I know that GT was always a bit grindy but the prices shown in that trailer were in another league.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211003-002014.png
    Screenshot_20211003-002014.png
    89.7 KB · Views: 15
Lol, i was just looking at that same picture, never thought about what currency it might be.
Even car parts i've seen can be close to 2 million.

Probably based off the Japanese game credits, when the game releases the values might come down based on the region that the game is released in.

If not a lot of grinding to do:irked:

Last edited:
It's japanese currency. Remove two zero0s for the western market and there ya go.
Ding ding, we have a winner. Yes the Japanese version of the game has a credit system that is 100 times greater than other regions as it closer represents Japanese Yen. So where in GT4 you started with 10,000Cr in the western regions, you started with 1,000,000Cr in the Japanese versions.

Therefore that 40,000,000Cr Mustang will cost 400,000Cr here.

Last edited:
I've read that the japanese versión of GT Sport is set with a yen currency equivalency, so the prices are like 100 times higher compared with other versions that work with Euro/dollar equivalency, and that is why prices in the GT7 trailer are that high (because they show a japanese version of the game, and because that localization difference will also be present GT7).
Is that true? Is there a localization difference in prices in GT Sport?
Yes - and it's always been the case in GT games - but it's not really directly linked to Japanese currency values or the Yen in the way it's often thought.

It wouldn't make much sense if it was. GT has had this 100x multiplier for the Japanese - or rather the native - version of the game across its history, but the Yen has never really been 100x higher than other Western currencies. When GT1 came out, the US dollar was worth 130 Yen. Currently it's about 110 Yen and across the 25-year gap it's been as high as 150 and as low as 76. The GB pound was worth 220 Yen, currently 150 Yen, a high of 240 Yen and a low of 120 Yen. The Euro didn't exist, but currently sits at 120 Yen, with a high of 170 and a low of 90.

It's not really an exchange rate conversion, it's simply because Japanese consumers expect the numbers to be two orders of magnitude larger. A Japanese consumer who sees a car is worth 20,000 currency units would expect a pretty fancy 1:18 scale model, not the real thing. The real thing would be 2,000,000*, so that's the value in the game.

In reality, it's the non-Japanese versions that are reduced by two orders to meet non-Japanese consumers' expectations; PD is a Japanese company, so it's the Western versions that are localised. We'd see 2,000,000 and expect an Enzo, not a Demio.

Oddly, it seems that dealing with very large numbers seems to be a trait inherited from founding religions. Buddhist scholars would invoke huge numbers for questions regarding the inner workings of the universe, and their abacuses (soroban) could quite easily deal with calculations of numbers well beyond 10^12.

Or rather 200,0000, as the Japanese counting system goes up in fours rather than threes (though in GT it goes up in threes, because computers). We'd say two million, which is two thousand (000) thousand (000); they'd say nihyaku-man, which is two hundred man (0000). This routinely plays havoc with auto-translators.

In reality, it's the non-Japanese versions that are reduced by two orders to meet non-Japanese consumers' expectations; PD is a Japanese company, so it's the Western versions that are localised. We'd see 2,000,000 and expect an Enzo, not a Demio.
What's odd about this statement is that GT6's and GTS' internal database files actually stores car prices in international format (eg: in GT6, the Jr. kart priced at Cr. 5,000) with the multiplication for Japan being added on game level.

What's odd about this statement is that GT6's and GTS' internal database files actually stores car prices in international format (eg: in GT6, the Jr. kart priced at Cr. 5,000) with the multiplication for Japan being added on game level.
That doesn't surprise me - and it wouldn't surprise me in the case of GT5 either.

Well yeah, if the prices in the picture are converted into the International version currency (just take off 2 0s), then it'll be:
  • Plymouth XNR Ghia = Cr. 953,398.
  • Porsche 356 = Cr. 926,565.
  • Shelby GT350 = Cr. 382,339.
  • De Tomaso Mangusta = Cr. 273,693.
  • Toyota Castrol Tom's Supra GT500 = Cr. 914,307.
In GT Sport, XNR Ghia does have a base price of Cr. 1 million, and GT350 has a base price of Cr. 400,000 (far more expensive than the GT2/GT6 one...), so their prices in Brighton seems to be in line with their base price, with randomized Used Cars subtraction of course. Though Supra's base price may be increased if in GT6 has Cr. 900,000 (while Super GT cars in GTS is Cr. 800,000), and the Brighton one had more than 900,000.

Last edited:
Back