Worst game in your opinion?

• Thread starter Stephan
  • 288 comments
ARK: Survival Evolved is the worst imitation of a video game to come out of this generation. It's entirely based on time consuming, repetitive grinding and the only basis for progression is acquiring stuff - nearly all of which will need to be googled as the game tells you nothing.

Of course, if you do accrue all this stuff, the only reward the game will give you is losing it all; whether you're attacked by bored players (can't blame them), have some unstoppable dinosaur spawn right on top of you, or just aren't logged in to the game when one of the above happens, you will lose everything.

That is, of course, providing the game will run - the servers are absolutely awful, and you can expect massive lag and frequent disconnects which, since the game time always rolls, will result in you dying and losing stuff with alarming regularity. This is exploited by the player base, too, who will build massive lag towers to force disconnect anyone who comes close to their precious e-dinos.

This isn't the only problem you'll have with other players - obviously, they will kill you, but there are other dirty tactics employed by the strange people that find this game fun; they will cover acres of the map with wooden pillars to prevent other players from building, they will lead powerful enemies to your base while you're offline to destroy all your progress. They will bully you, scream at you, and do anything to make sure they fit in with their pals; ARK parties usually contain more than one player who is appearing offline in order to scheme against their own tribe or friends in order to get ahead in the simulated dinosaur racket.

The gameplay loops consist of waiting for a long time for bars to fill up, with small windows to insert time-decaying items into an inventory screen. Aside from that, you can expect to hit rocks, trees and bushes, in order to acquire the inordinate amount of resources required to build a chest high stone wall. The excitement really comes when you meet a rare and powerful creature that will lag jump towards you and hit you once for a guaranteed stun, and then eat you, providing you can stay connected to the server long enough to die before lagging out.

The graphics are ass, a result of having built a far too large and unstable game, and hardcore players sweat, cheat and swindle to secure rare colourations of dinosaurs that are rendered usually in 4 polygon glory whilst floating above the ground. As you collect them, they will endeavour to get themselves stuck and glitched, or to escape from your base and get killed in one hit by the other wildlife.

This game is sold at full price, with full price DLCs. It is a broken mess and much less of a video game than it is a work simulator. I have known people to dash home from work in the middle of the day to go on ARK because they are being raided. These people have put in literal months of grinding to collect their virtual dinosaurs and it becomes a job - they will happily jeapordise their real life to preserve their ARK progress, because real life is genuinely a more forgiving experience than trying to play this broken torture device of a game.

I am still in contact with some people who still play - I myself played for a couple of weeks before leaving and trying not to think about the 50 odd quid I'd set on fire. These people tell me that every update breaks the game and basic issues, such as the framerate dropping to one any time it gets foggy (veterans deal with this by running around looking at the floor) that have been present since release are still present.

ARK is for masochists, anti-social miscreants and people who think real life just isn't soul crushingly unfair enough. I rate it a 0/10 and pity anyone who plays it. The only thing there is to survive in this game is the steady onset of total insanity.

Another inferior PC game I could think of.

images

The worst game I have played this year has been ARK Survival Evolved. Played it on XBox Game Pass with a Day One XBONE and it felt like a Unity demo that a first year Game Design student has made.

Actually, thats insulting to Game Design students, they could do much better.

James Rolfe aka the Angry Video Game Nerd does a lot of reviews of worst video games, mostly the ones from early Nintendo consoles. His review videos can be seen here.

I didn't knew that EA still makes NBA Live games for current generation consoles until now. They're mostly inferior anyway when compared to their NBA 2K counterparts.

I didn't knew that EA still makes NBA Live games for current generation consoles until now. They're mostly inferior anyway when compared to their NBA 2K counterparts.
The NBA games have really gotten flak recently because of the microtransactions associated with the game. From what I've heard it's one of those "pay to win" things.

The NBA games have really gotten flak recently because of the microtransactions associated with the game. From what I've heard it's one of those "pay to win" things.
Sadly, yes. :(

It now seems that this will become the inevitable downfall of what was considered the most popular sports video game series for these consoles.

Star Wars Battlefront (2015).
As a big-time fan of the original games, I had high hopes for this game before it came out and in fact, you can find evidence of it in these forums, but I ultimately ended up not caring too much about it in the end. While I liked it at first, the more I played it, the more I realized how lacking it really was and I eventually got very tired of playing it. My biggest problem with this game is there just isn't enough single-player content to make me want to play it more often. Going off memory, it seems they had a lot of things reserved for online play that could've easily been added to single-player, but they didn't and I feel that was their biggest mistake with this game because I highly prefer offline gaming over online. As for the online play, well it sucks! Every time I went in and tried to play it, it just felt like a game of jump in and get killed repeatedly and it just wasn't fun. I wanted to like it, but I just couldn't.

Now, this isn't the absolute worst game I have ever played, some of the offline game modes I enjoy to an extent and like IHRA Drag Racing Sportsman Edition, it's probably among the best on my worst list, but I still am not a huge fan of it and it is the worst game I have on PS4. For the record, I'm not trying to compare it to the original games, their obviously not the same. I must admit, I haven't touched it in almost 2 years and I could be wrong about the part of certain game modes being reserved for online play, but regardless, I still think it could have been better.

Last edited:
Sadly, yes. :(

It now seems that this will become the inevitable downfall of what was considered the most popular sports video game series for these consoles.
2K9 will always be my favourite, you could use the right stick after your first step to do creative layups and I never got tired of it. Good rosters that year too. I haven't played it in a while and no interest in picking up this year's reskin.

2K9 will always be my favourite, you could use the right stick after your first step to do creative layups and I never got tired of it. Good rosters that year too. I haven't played it in a while and no interest in picking up this year's reskin.
Well, any NBA 2K game would feel similar to each other. But as the years go on, there's an overall improvement in each of them, mostly in terms of gameplay being more realistic and closer to the NBA IRL.

Out of all installments though, I have learned to love 2K11 a lot, simply because the in-game soundtracks are very great, I can't still move on and forget them until now, regardless if the fresher 2Ks have an updated roster or gameplay mechanics, etc. I think nothing can ever replace 2K11 with that unless 2K Sports put all of its soundtracks again in a future installment.

Aside from the 2K11 is Live 09. Even though gameplay ridiculously sucks so badly, I was also able to appreciate the whole game because of the awesome soundtracks which also made me want to play the game more. Good times indeed.

ARK: Survival Evolved is the worst imitation of a video game to come out of this generation.....

The worst game I have played this year has been ARK Survival Evolved. Played it on XBox Game Pass with a Day One XBONE and it felt like a Unity demo that a first year Game Design student has made.

Actually, thats insulting to Game Design students, they could do much better.

A little surprised to see this game in here...But I guess I'm not at the same time.
A lot of the things you @MaxAttack mentioned are very very true... But for me I only played single player, no need for trips home at lunch to defend/feed or whatever, much more relaxing that way.
I actually sank about 700 hours in ARK on several different maps and enjoyed every minute of it...Again that's because I played single player only, no one around to 🤬 my 🤬 up was pure bliss, and being able to take my time and do what I wanted when I wanted.
I guess I was one of the lucky ones too as I had no issues with performance or crashes or anything like that, and I had a tonne of mods running too.

@R55NA For some reason I bought a copy for my PS4, and yeah it was absolutely horrible compared to the PC version, I probably have less than an hour logged into the PS4 version it looked that bad.

But yeah, ARK is a definite 'love it' or 'hate it' game....But worst game of this generation, not sure I can agree with that.

TNN Motorsports Hardcore 4X4.
61aWM46UJzL._SL1000_.jpg
Bought this game for the PS1 a few years ago and thought it was going to be really good like Test Drive Offroad 2 was for me, but it turned out to be quite an eyesore instead.

Reasons being:
1. The track designs are terrible. They’re all VERY narrow, way too bumpy, have way too many twisty turns, and can be confusing to navigate if you don’t already know the track. I mean, having twisty turns and lots of bumps is not surprising, but this game just takes it WAY too far. In some places, it’s hard to know where to go and/or what is a wall. Sometimes I found myself wandering into what I thought was another pathway when it turned out to be a solid wall instead. It’s made even worse when tracks like Arctic Inferno and Hades Highway have such bad color separation. While to be fair, the graphics aren’t too bad, that’s about the only good thing I can say about them really.

2. The announcer is kind of annoying, talks a little too much, and sometimes is a bit too repetitive. Fortunately, you can turn him off.

3. The weather, while a nice feature I wish games utilized more often, makes the tracks even more difficult to navigate than they already are and you generally can’t see too far ahead. Racing at night with weather is a real nightmare, especially on tracks like Hades Highway.

4. The trucks in general just don’t sound too good and they feel slightly too fast for the tracks the game provides.

5. Did you think I was joking when I said the game was an “eyesore”? No, I was actually being serious, this game literally is an eyesore for me! I have tried playing this game several times and every single time, my eyes would start bothering me within 5 minutes of playing and I even had a mild headache after 10 minutes. I am not entirely sure what it is, but I think it’s a combination of the camera movements and some other things I can’t put my finger on. Which is strange, because I have been playing video games for 20 years now, played many games along the way, and have never had this problem with any other game but this one. :odd:
Although I think I only paid a few bucks for this game, I can honestly say it was not worth it and I wouldn’t take it even if it was free. Although I like offroad racing, this is easily one of the worst games I have played in a very long time and I wouldn’t play it if it was the only video game I had. (even if #5 wasn’t a problem)

TNN Motorsports Hardcore 4X4.
View attachment 1011370
Bought this game for the PS1 a few years ago and thought it was going to be really good like Test Drive Offroad 2 was for me, but it turned out to be quite an eyesore instead.

Reasons being:
1. The track designs are terrible. They’re all VERY narrow, way too bumpy, have way too many twisty turns, and can be confusing to navigate if you don’t already know the track. I mean, having twisty turns and lots of bumps is not surprising, but this game just takes it WAY too far. In some places, it’s hard to know where to go and/or what is a wall. Sometimes I found myself wandering into what I thought was another pathway when it turned out to be a solid wall instead. It’s made even worse when tracks like Arctic Inferno and Hades Highway have such bad color separation. While to be fair, the graphics aren’t too bad, that’s about the only good thing I can say about them really.

2. The announcer is kind of annoying, talks a little too much, and sometimes is a bit too repetitive. Fortunately, you can turn him off.

3. The weather, while a nice feature I wish games utilized more often, makes the tracks even more difficult to navigate than they already are and you generally can’t see too far ahead. Racing at night with weather is a real nightmare, especially on tracks like Hades Highway.

4. The trucks in general just don’t sound too good and they feel slightly too fast for the tracks the game provides.

5. Did you think I was joking when I said the game was an “eyesore”? No, I was actually being serious, this game literally is an eyesore for me! I have tried playing this game several times and every single time, my eyes would start bothering me within 5 minutes of playing and I even had a mild headache after 10 minutes. I am not entirely sure what it is, but I think it’s a combination of the camera movements and some other things I can’t put my finger on. Which is strange, because I have been playing video games for 20 years now, played many games along the way, and have never had this problem with any other game but this one. :odd:
Although I think I only paid a few bucks for this game, I can honestly say it was not worth it and I wouldn’t take it even if it was free. Although I like offroad racing, this is easily one of the worst games I have played in a very long time and I wouldn’t play it if it was the only video game I had. (even if #5 wasn’t a problem)
I still have this game in my PS1 game collection. To this day, it will forever hold the dubious distinction of being the first game that I ragequit because of spoiler points 1 and 3.

I still have this game in my PS1 game collection.
I don't even know why I still have this game. I really need to sell it because, no lie, it's genuinely difficult for me to enjoy it.
To this day, it will forever hold the dubious distinction of being the first game that I ragequit because of spoiler points 1 and 3.
I don't doubt it! It really does make me wonder how they could screw this sort of thing up so badly. I gave it an honest try, several I might add, and I just could not get into it enough to even try the championship. It is one of only 2 other games I played I ended up disliking to the point of abandoning early on. (the other 2 being Need for Speed Shift and Ford vs. Chevy)

Last edited:
Back when I first tried out Farming Simulator 2019 I also tried out similar games that were on gamepass. I came across one called Pure Farm, I didn't even finish the tutorial before I uninstalled that garbage. I give most games a chance, that one got 5 minutes and it was still too much for me to bear.

IMO no game comes close to NFS Undercover. For what was supposed to be a AAA release, the game was atrocious.
The game looks like it's been put through 3 Snapchat filters when you're driving, the game modes were severely lacklustre, you have to chase the police and not vice versa if you want any sort of pursuit, the AI rubberbands like there's no tomorrow, and the driving was horrendous to say the least. Any input you use gets put through a random number generator, and then the game decides whether it wants to barely register your input or multiply it by a hundred.
The only game I ever felt like it was a chore to play through it. I want to finish the Challenge Series one day but I can't stomach the horrid contraption that is this game.

Calamity 1-3 (PS1).
Unless you watch The Angry Video Game Nerd, you’ve probably never heard of it, but they’re one series of many other old Lightspan education games from the 90's. I however know them because I used to play them in a small class when I was in 3rd and 4th grade and I am familiar with many of them. As a kid, I loved the class and a majority of the Lightspan games I played there, but I hated the Calamity series. The moment I found out I was playing one of them, my desire to go in this class hit rock bottom every single time.

What's so bad about it? Well, for starters:
1. I hated the menu music, I just found it to be somewhat annoying and the rest of the game's soundtrack is not terrible, but not remarkable either. Fortunately, it can be turned off.

2. Perhaps my biggest issue with the game is they make you read these huge walls of text, and by walls of text I mean bigger than what I typically post here on GTP, but in the end, you only have 3 questions. For no more questions than what you have, I don’t know why they made them so dang lengthy.

3. As for the questions themselves, I really struggled with them as a kid, more so than most other Lightspan games, which certainly didn’t help matters at all.

4. When you get an answer right, it will read the answer out loud for you and then one of the characters will make a comment. If you get it wrong, one of them just makes a comment. A bit minor, but after a while, it gets pretty tiring having to sit through this every single time and just makes the whole experience feel slow. It's made even worse by the fact you can't skip it.

5. You have to read all 16 LONG articles and answer the questions, get 1800 points (hopefully), and then in the end, you're just greeted with a boring cutscene. If you fail you have to start all over again. 😫
I never expect much from educational games and I'm never quick to pick them when posting here since they're easy targets for this, but most of the Lightspan games I feel knew how to combine both gameplay and learning in a way that was interesting to me as a kid. Calamity however, just absolutely fails at this and is easily the worst Lightspan title I know. Pretty much you read long, boring articles, answer difficult questions, hopefully get 1800 points, then watch a boring cutscene or be forced to start all over if you fail. Even now, I still consider it quite a step back from the others and it was one I really loath at the thought of playing back in the day. Needless to say, it holds a very special place on my worst list.

Last edited:
Back