Worst (Modern?) Engineering Design Decisions on Automobiles

• Thread starter bremics
  • 129 comments
Canada
Canada
bremics
bremics
After a few incidents lately involving the Kia Sportage's dumb decision to have the turning signal lights at the very bottom bumper instead of in the rear light cluster/brake lights, I wanted to whine about how stupid it is and hear about any other similar poor design decisions.

Very annoying having to focus on the Sportage directly in order to know whether or not they are going to change and not being able to pay attention what's happening ten cars ahead at the same time.

Modern, because most of the kinks should have been figured out by now, but incredibly stupid ones that should have never happened regardless of era can come in as well I guess lol.

[Insert Video/Pic Here When Found]

I know the purpose for this is to keep the oil warm but it still is very annoying to do oil changes on these:
Subaru’s “Ring of Fire”
upload_2019-3-8_19-59-16.jpeg

Cars with red turn signals, especially on those where the brake and turn signal share the same light.

Also GM cars where the reverse lights turn on when you lock or unlock the car to supposedly provide visibility for the driver, never mind how much confusion it can create for others.

Similar to the OP’s complaint, not sure why Lexus put the UX’s reverse lights at the bottom of the rear bumper and in the smallest housing. Sure they’re bright, but someone close enough won’t ever see them.

The flat part at the bottom of all modern car wheel arches. Jalopnik did an article recently asking what it's for and it's literally for nothing other than slight increase in structural rigidity. But the aesthetics! It's not worth it!!

After a few incidents lately involving the Kia Sportage's dumb decision to have the turning signal lights at the very bottom bumper instead of in the rear light cluster/brake lights,

Some links to stories?

From my own experience on the road this is definitely a problem, there are several makes (not just Kia) of 4x4 or inflated-car-"SUV" that have the important lights in the lowest bumper and a seemingly cosmetic cluster where you'd expect the actual lights to be. At this time of year when the roads are full of grit and crap they get obscured very quickly.

Reverse lights on only one side of the car, especially if they're obscured as you approach from the other side.

Touch screens for HVAC or vehicle functions. Yeah, great idea. I'll just look away from the road to look at a screen...

Also GM cars where the reverse lights turn on when you lock or unlock the car to supposedly provide visibility for the driver, never mind how much confusion it can create for others.

This, x ∞ especially when it's dark outside. Is the person behind me in the parking lot planning to back up or did he unlock/lock his doors remotely? Wait 30+ annoying seconds that makes you look like a dumbass and find out!

It's easily one of the stupidest things ever.

Cars with ridiculously bright LED brake lights. I don't know how many times I've been effectively blinded by some Infiniti (or whatever) with brighter-than-my-headlights LED brake lights. Red light, especially, really messes with your night vision and you're left with ghosted red dots burned onto your retinas for what feels like several minutes. There should be a regulation mandating a maximum brightness allowable if there is a vehicle behind.

I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation for it, but I really dislike car designs that feature the front fenders/wings traveling up the A-pillar. It looks clunky and bad.

Glad someone brought up GM's horrible "approach" lights (aka reverse lights). Those give me panic attacks when walking/driving through a parking lot.

Some pretty good ones brought up, but...how about electronic joystick gear levers. Volvo and FCA come to mind... Volvo's defaults to neutral no matter what gear you're trying to get to, which is downright frustrating when you're trying to pull a quick 3 point turn. FCA...well, we know the one on the Jeep Grand Cherokee actually killed someone and after previously working at a Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler dealer, people would nearly fall out of their cars when they thought it was in park.
maxresdefault.jpg

shifter-2.jpg

For the Jeep issue: https://jalopnik.com/anton-yelchins-jeep-was-included-in-rollaway-recall-lin-1782277820

I actually like BMW's joystick (at least the older style). Decently quick to respond, park button is in a great placement, and it's (fairly) easy to understand.
2013-bmw-335i-xdrive-gear-shift-knob.jpg

Cars that have their dashboards also illuminated so the person (idiot) inside doesn't know when their headlights are on or off.
I always find myself blaming the driver for this more so than the design of the dashboard. I would think that a smart driver would know to look out for a green icon that indicates that the headlights are turned on, or maybe they'll remember the fact that they turned a switch to turn the headlights on.

VXR
Reverse lights on only one side of the car, especially if they're obscured as you approach from the other side.

Especially unfortunate and / or annoying in Europe if the car in question would've had two reverse lights originally, but the manufacturer swapped out the other with the mandatory fog light. I know it's cheaper than redesigning the bumper or something to include it, but still.

Cars with ridiculously bright LED brake lights. I don't know how many times I've been effectively blinded by some Infiniti (or whatever) with brighter-than-my-headlights LED brake lights. Red light, especially, really messes with your night vision and you're left with ghosted red dots burned onto your retinas for what feels like several minutes. There should be a regulation mandating a maximum brightness allowable if there is a vehicle behind.

Similar story with LED daytime running lights that are as bright as (or brighter than) full beams.

The latest Ford Fiesta is a prime example, especially as its LEDs run round the full circumference of the headlights. One of those come towards you and you think the driver’s left their full beams on by mistake.

FORD_2017_Fiesta_ST_04.jpg

Similar story with LED daytime running lights that are as bright as (or brighter than) full beams.

The latest Ford Fiesta is a prime example, especially as its LEDs run round the full circumference of the headlights. One of those come towards you and you think the driver’s left their full beams on by mistake.

FORD_2017_Fiesta_ST_04.jpg
That's practically all newish cars though. People flash their highbeams at my mom when she's driving her Corolla until she flashes her's.

I can also confirm when she's following you it's damn near blinding.

SUVs and trucks are the worse though, not only are they at head level, but 97.5% of them aggressively tailgate.

Not to go too far off-piste, but red light especially doesn't mess with your night vision - quite the opposite. It's why it's the only type of light you're allowed on stargazing nights or, more familiar to most people from movies, why it's used by the military in things like ships and submarines when you need to see around in the dark without attracting undue attention with anything brighter.

The reason it's messing with your night vision is, simply, because having dozens of ultra-bright attention-getting LEDs aimed at your face will do that regardless of their colour (though I suspect if brakelights were blue your night vision would be significantly more compromised).

It wouldn't be so much of a problem if more cars were manual and people used their e-brake when waiting at lights, but since it's easier to sit on the brakes at a light in an auto than it is to shift to neutral or park and put the e-brake on, and since Americans seem weirdly allergic to using e-brakes in the first place, I'm afraid your retinas are screwed.
I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation for it, but I really dislike car designs that feature the front fenders/wings traveling up the A-pillar. It looks clunky and bad.
I think this is part aero and part pedestrian regs. A high bonnet line to hide wipers and protect pedestrians necessitates high front wings, and if you have high front wings then they necessarily need to bleed into the A-pillar for it not to look odd. Some cars hide it better than others though.
I always find myself blaming the driver for this more so than the design of the dashboard. I would think that a smart driver would know to look out for a green icon that indicates that the headlights are turned on, or maybe they'll remember the fact that they turned a switch to turn the headlights on.
The frustrating thing about this is that I've driven several vehicles with no idiot light to indicate that the headlights are actually on. Combined with permanently-illuminated instruments and LED DRLs being bright enough that if someone started their journey say, pointing towards the garage door they might think their lights were already on, you get cars running around without headlights.

While it'd be nice to think more people would realise themselves, in reality manufacturers have to share the blame for poor design. Either mandate headlights to always be on so there's no way of driving at night with them off, or make it very obvious from inside the car that the headlights aren't on, either with an obvious telltale light, or by having the instrument panel be completely dark until the lights are turned on.
Capacitive controls for regularly adjusted functions (radio, HVAC), regardless of if it is through a touchscreen or a separate control stack.
Yeah, this one frustrates me too. Always glad to see when a manufacturer retains physical controls for these things even if every other function is buried in a screen.

Not to go too far off-piste, but red light especially doesn't mess with your night vision - quite the opposite. It's why it's the only type of light you're allowed on stargazing nights or, more familiar to most people from movies, why it's used by the military in things like ships and submarines when you need to see around in the dark without attracting undue attention with anything brighter.

The reason it's messing with your night vision is, simply, because having dozens of ultra-bright attention-getting LEDs aimed at your face will do that regardless of their colour (though I suspect if brakelights were blue your night vision would be significantly more compromised).

It wouldn't be so much of a problem if more cars were manual and people used their e-brake when waiting at lights, but since it's easier to sit on the brakes at a light in an auto than it is to shift to neutral or park and put the e-brake on, and since Americans seem weirdly allergic to using e-brakes in the first place, I'm afraid your retinas are screwed.

Right. I remembered it exactly opposite. Is it blue/purple that messes with your night vision then? I seem to remember despising the blue cluster-light in the early 00s VWs I've driven. That must be it.

Right. I remembered it exactly opposite. Is it blue/purple that messes with your night vision then? I seem to remember despising the blue cluster-light in the early 00s VWs I've driven. That must be it.

https://www.itstactical.com/intelli...g-the-dark-how-to-preserve-your-night-vision/
http://www.astromax.org/activities/members/kniffen.htm

Your eyes are less sensitive to red light during night vision. However, if you want to maintain visual accuracy it seems that green light may be preferable to red. I'd say less sensitivity (at the cost of accuracy) is probably preferable for driving.

My favorite dashboard color is Infiniti orange. Not because it's better for night vision, but because it blends with city street lamps for minimal contrast.

My favorite dashboard color is Infiniti orange. Not because it's better for night vision, but because it blends with city street lamps for minimal contrast.
I'm waiting for manufacturers using TFT screens on the dash/for the instruments to twig that ultra-bright white light isn't actually that great for night-time driving... I've no problem with virtual instruments in theory, but few manufacturers have taken a particularly intelligent approach to them yet and that it's probably wise to have stuff inside the car emitting less light than stuff outside it.

Is this common for people to do? I’ve never put the e-brake/handbrake on at the lights, and I’ve never been in a car when anyone else has done it. Autos or manuals. Maybe Australians are allergic too :lol:

Is this common for people to do? I’ve never put the e-brake/handbrake on at the lights, and I’ve never been in a car when anyone else has done it. Autos or manuals. Maybe Australians are allergic too :lol:
It's taught in driving lessons in the UK. If you're waiting at the lights you should be in neutral with the handbrake on, not sitting on the brake pedal.

Obviously there are exceptions - if you're on a fast road for instance you're advised to cover the brakes to make it clear to traffic behind that you've stopped, and I tend to keep it in gear in these instances too so I can jump forwards if it looks like the car behind is not going to stop in time.

But in a country where most people still drive manual cars, it's taught to discourage people from sitting in gear and jumping forward if their foot slips off the clutch or something. And to avoid dazzling the poor sod behind you if it's at night.

Ok, it isn’t taught in driving lessons here, or at least it wasn’t when I was taking them. Seems like a good idea though.

Funny how I always sit in neutral on the handbrake in my car, but in the automatic work Sprinter I sit on the brake.

VXR
Funny how I always sit in neutral on the handbrake in my car, but in the automatic work Sprinter I sit on the brake.
That's kinda the trouble with autos (one of them, anyway). The process of putting a car in gear and releasing the handbrake can be pretty quick in a manual even if all your feet and hands are off the controls, but doing the same in an auto - pressing the brake to release the lockout for the lever, shifting into drive, releasing the handbrake, moving from brake to gas - seems to take three times as long in most cars, and depending where you are in the world people will already be leaning on their horn! Longer if the handbrake is electronic. So most people just sit on the brake instead.

Designing an OEM set of wheels that only fit a specific tire, and nothing else. The main example of this that comes to mind are the TRX wheels Ford used on the Fox Mustang in the 80s; they were intended to only work with Michelin TRX tires, which also meant that they had a weird diameter (I think it was 15.75" IIRC).
wk-39067452_45027daf.jpg
michelin-trx.jpg

Designing an OEM set of wheels that only fit a specific tire, and nothing else. The main example of this that comes to mind are the TRX wheels Ford used on the Fox Mustang in the 80s; they were intended to only work with Michelin TRX tires, which also meant that they had a weird diameter (I think it was 15.75" IIRC).
View attachment 806311View attachment 806312
The Lamborghini LM002 had same problem only Pirelli made tires that fit the OEM wheels

View attachment 806311View attachment 806312
Interesting to know they used those in the US too - over in Europe Michelin TRX-specific wheels were a Citroen thing. CXs, BXs etc. Everyone hated it here too, though thankfully it affected relatively few models.

Back