Worst rewards/unlockables in a video game?

United States
The US of A
Ever unlock something in a video game that you just feel wasn't a good reward for your efforts? Well that's what this thread is about. Yes I know anything may be better than nothing, but I am sure some of us have had at least one instance when we feel what we unlocked was just not worth our time.

So the questions for the topic are simple:
What is the worst reward you can think of?
Why do you think it is?
What do you think it should have been? (You can list more than one if you want)

(I am sure I missing something in this post so it may be subject to change later on)

Last edited:
Some from Gran Turismo 4

WISHB = What It Should Have Been

Event: World Classic Car Series (5 Race Championship)
Reward: Mercedes Motor Carriage '86
WISHB: Any classic sports car you can actually drive (E.G. Lotus Elan, Alfa Giulia GTA, Honda S800, Toyota Sports 800, Nissan Fairlady 2000, etc.)

Event: Grand Valley Speedway 300KM (Endurance)
Reward: Auto Union Type C Streamline '37 (Special Car)
WISHB: Any modern GT racer (E.G. Any GT500 car, Nissan R390 GT1, Toyota GT-ONE, BMW M3 GTR ALMS, Ford GT Concept LM Race Car, etc.)

Event: 1000 Miles! (5 Race Endurance Championship)
Reward: Alfa Giulia Sprint Speciale '63
WISHB: Classic race car (E.G. Honda S800 RSC, Mitsubishi Lancer GSR Rally Car, Ford GT40 Race Car, Corvette C6 (C2) Race Car, etc)

Event: All American Championship (5 Race Championship)
Reward: Chevrolet Corvette (C1)
WISHB: Corvette C5-R, Viper GTS-R Team Oreca, Panoz Esperante GTR-1, Saleen S7, Ford GT Concept LM Race Car, Chapparral 2J, etc.

Event: Golding S-Licence (Utter Hell)
Reward: Ford Model T
WISHB: Literally anything else

There are many others but these are what I remember right now.

Winning a Toyota Yaris for beating the Professinal Yaris/Vitz series in Gran Turismo 3.

People rage about getting cars they already own in the daily reward for driving 26 miles in GT Sport, well there was nothing like winning a Toyota Yaris/Vitz that you already own from a very long and boring championship like the Professinal Vitz/Yaris series in Gran Turismo 3.

Some from Gran Turismo 4

WISHB = What It Should Have Been

Event: World Classic Car Series (5 Race Championship)
Reward: Mercedes Motor Carriage '86
WISHB: Any classic sports car you can actually drive (E.G. Lotus Elan, Alfa Giulia GTA, Honda S800, Toyota Sports 800, Nissan Fairlady 2000, etc.)

Event: Grand Valley Speedway 300KM (Endurance)
Reward: Auto Union Type C Streamline '37 (Special Car)
WISHB: Any modern GT racer (E.G. Any GT500 car, Nissan R390 GT1, Toyota GT-ONE, BMW M3 GTR ALMS, Ford GT Concept LM Race Car, etc.)

Event: 1000 Miles! (5 Race Endurance Championship)
Reward: Alfa Giulia Sprint Speciale '63
WISHB: Classic race car (E.G. Honda S800 RSC, Mitsubishi Lancer GSR Rally Car, Ford GT40 Race Car, Corvette C6 (C2) Race Car, etc)

Event: All American Championship (5 Race Championship)
Reward: Chevrolet Corvette (C1)
WISHB: Corvette C5-R, Viper GTS-R Team Oreca, Panoz Esperante GTR-1, Saleen S7, Ford GT Concept LM Race Car, Chapparral 2J, etc.

Event: Golding S-Licence (Utter Hell)
Reward: Ford Model T
WISHB: Literally anything else

There are many others but these are what I remember right now.
I could certainly understand the Alfa. I would ask why you think these are bad, but you already specified on my status.

Winning a Toyota Yaris for beating the Professinal Yaris/Vitz series in Gran Turismo 3.

People rage about getting cars they already own in the daily reward for driving 26 miles in GT Sport, well there was nothing like winning a Toyota Yaris/Vitz that you already own from a very long and boring championship like the Professinal Vitz/Yaris series in Gran Turismo 3.
What do you think it should have been though? ;)

The Porsche 911 GT2 and the Mercedes Benz SL 65 AMG in Need for Speed Most Wanted (2005).
Easily one of the worst ever for me. For starters, you get these cars from the challenge series which consists of 68 challenges (70 if you include the Black Edition and Burger King Challenges) Even with cheats, it takes a LONG time to beat them all, it gets very difficult half way through and even requires a bit of practice. In the end all you get are two cars with "okay" performance that you can't even customize and can only use in quick race. For all the time and trouble it takes to get them, it's really not worth it and you'd be better off just using cheat codes to have the challenge series completed.
(Especially knowing you unlock at least one or two cars every time you beat a blacklist rival in career, which takes FAR less time and difficulty than the challenge series)

What do I think it should have been?

- Make these cars available in all modes and make them customizable along with it.
- Instead of making the Camaro and the BMW M3 GTR (street) Black Edition exclusives, they should do the same for them as well, maybe even give us Rog's and Razor's car along with the slower BMW GTR from the career prologue, but with a special livery that they already have in the game files that they chose not to use in the game for some reason.
-More customizations in general for the cars in the game especially since NFSMW is somewhat lacking in this field.
(The Black Edition of the game can just have a pre customized Camaro and M3 GTR (Street) like the other exclusive cars you get for buying it)

If they did all that listed above, it would probably be worth it then and while it may be a lot to ask for, well so is the challenge series so it may as well be worthwhile!

Last edited:
Forza Editions for completing each "cup" in Forza 7, especially when there are over 200 locked cars in the game. I honestly have 0 motivation to finish the career now since the cars you get aren't even worth it. Would much rather have actual new cars instead of preset builds for existing cars.

WISHB

I feel like completing each division should give you a special locked car from each division

Ariel Nomad Spec - Ariel Atom 500 V8
Classic Street Muscle - Chrysler VH Valiant Charger R/T E49
Early Prototype Racers - Peugeot 905 Evo 1C
Early Sport Luxury - BMW M5 (E39)
Early Sport Touring - Mercedes-Benz 300 SEL 6.3
Elite Factory Racers - Ferrari F50 GT
Exotic GT - Ferrari F12 Berlinetta
Formula 70's - McLaren #11 McLaren Cars M23
Formula 90's - Renault R.S. 17
Formula E - Formula E #11 ABT Schaeffler Audi Sport FE02
Formula Ford - Ford Fiesta ST
Formula Mazda - Mazda MX-5 Super20
Forza GP - Mercedes-Benz #63 Sauber C9
Forza Group Rally - Subaru #199 WRX STI VT15r Rally Car
Forza GT - Bentley #17A LIQUI MOLI M-Sport Continental GT3
Forza P1 - Porsche #2 Porsche Team 919 Hybrid
Forza P2 - Ford #02 Chip Ganassi Racing Riley XXVI Daytona Prototype
Forza Touring Cars - Volvo #13 Polestar Racing S60 STCC
Forza Trophy Trucks - Ford #11 Rockstar F-150 Trophy Truck
GT Racing Reborn - Datsun #33 Bob Sharp Racing 280ZX Turbo
Historic Road Racing - Pontiac Firebird Trans Am SD-455
Hot Hatch Genesis - VW Scirocco S '81
Hot Hatch Icons - Honda Civic Type R (EP)
Hot Rod Revival - Ford Deluxe Five Window Coupe
Hypercar - Koenigsegg Regera
IndyCar - Honda #9 Chip Ganassi Racing IndyCar
Major Micros - VW Beetle '63
Mazda MX-5 Cup Spec - Formula Mazda
Mercedes-Benz Racing Trucks - Mercedes-Benz #9 Erebus Motorsport E63 AMG V8 Supercar
Modern Hot Hatch - Renault Clio RS 200
Modern Off-Roaders - Ford F-150 SVT Raptor Shelby
Modern SUV - Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8
NASCAR - Toyota #18 Joe Gibbs Racing Snickers Camry
Nostalgic Drag Racers - Ford Fairlane Thunderbolt
Off-Road Buggies - Penhall Cholla
Open Wheel Legends - Honda RA300
Polaris RZR Spec - BAC Mono
Prototype Group Racing - Nissan #21 Nissan Racing R382
Radical RXC Spec - KTM X-BOW R
Radical RX8 Spec - Radical RXC Turbo
Rally Heroes - Lancia Stratos HF Gr.4
Rebirth of Muscle - Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS
Rise of the Supercar - Bugatti EB110 SS
Showroom Rally - Lancia Delta S4
Sport Compact - Dodge Dart GT
Sport Compact Icons - Subaru SVX
Sport Coupe - BMW 1 Series M Coupe
Sport GT - Porsche 911 GT3 RS '16
Sport GT Icons - BMW Z8
Sport Luxury - Bentley Continental GT Speed
Sport Touring - Ford Falcon GT F 351
Sport Touring Icons - Audi RS4 Avant '01
Supercar Renaissance - Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione
Supercars Championship - Ford #17 SHELL V-POWER Racing Falcon FG X
The Birth of Grand Prix - Maserati 8CTF
Track Toys - Lotus 340R
Ultima 1020 Spec - Caterham R500 Superlight
Vintage GT Racing - Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe
Vintage Off-Roaders - Land Rover Series III
Vintage Sport Compact - Chevrolet Vega GT
Vintage Sport Coupe - Ferrari 250 GT Berlinetta Lusso
Vintage Sport GT - Ferrari 365 GTB/4

The Stealth Ship in Lego Star Wars III The Clone Wars.
Among one of the worst rewards out there for me. You get this for collecting all 130 gold bricks in the game, pretty much beating it. Lego Star Wars III is not a hard game, but it certainly takes time to get all of them and in the end, all you get is just another missile launching ship like all the others you already have at that point that doesn't do anything special. What makes it even worse is you can easily get it with a cheat code regardless of your progression, which makes collecting all the gold bricks even more worthless than it already it is. It's a pretty lousy reward for what it takes to get it, especially compared to what previous games had, and it's just not worth it!

-Stud Fountain. Lego Star Wars II and The Complete Saga had one and it was a great reward that was very useful since you didn't have to grind for studs anymore.
-They could have just ported Lego City and New Town from the Complete Saga and maybe even give us more levels like those along with it.

Any of these would have been so much better than what we got in the end. I don't know what Travelers Tales was thinking when they thought about making this the end game bonus, but they could have done better like they did with previous games.

Last edited:

Especially when it's another pink one.

logging in to NFS payback to get various cars months after completing the game was, lame.. especially aftwr realizing afterwards, there was no reason to get that old volvo. Wasnt even interested in it in the first place. From what i understand, the new T10 games are doing three same at a much slower rate.

The Alfa Romeo that you get after you win the 1000 Miles championship in GT4.

Borderlands 2 (for a change of pace away from all these car games ;) )

The random generation of weapon drops is extremely random, which isn't in itself a bad thing but when a frequent drop for a known legendary level location ends up being a plain old white weapon far too frequently, it sort of begs the question about the wisdom of including such a broad spread into the parameters (the game does after all contain a gazillion guns.)

Solution:
Stick to one colour class for each boss level as it gets frustrating when taking down a tough on on UVHM solo only to get a white level weapon.

Yeah, the car you got for the 1000 Miles was a bit poor, but you got paid quite well for only running four races so I never considered that to be a weak reward at the time. I loved that championship for that reason and because the races were fun(except that stupid Fiat 500). I had Bob run a lot of it while I was away and ran some myself whenever I had the itch.

That series paid for the majority of my mean black monster cars, although I got the last 25% or so of the money for them from running the MUCH less enjoyable Costa di Amalfi(I think that was it) race which gave you a far better(well... far more expensive) car than it should have. Nice track, lame event. Boring as hell but it got the last bit of money taken care of in less real-time than Bobbing a zillion miles.

Starkiller Destruction in Lego Star Wars The Force Awakens.
This is a challenge you unlock for getting all 249 gold bricks. In the challenge itself you get to fly either Starkiller Base or the Death Star II and blow up planets until you have a million studs. It sounds very exciting, but it really isn't in my opinion. For starters, lets rewind back to The Complete Saga, you had Lego City and New Town which also involved getting a million studs, but you had to do a variety of different things to get them all and it was fun just to play and explore. Starkiller Destruction? All you do is shoot stuff, nothing more. I got bored with it after 2 minutes of playing.

I feel each level in this game managed to bring more to the table than previous titles in my opinion, but this one somehow brought less, which is pretty disappointing. Even if you ignore the previous games, it's still not that fun. Sure it's better than what Lego Star Wars III gave you in the end, but to me it's still pretty underwhelming for the time it takes to get there and it just ain't as good as Lego City and New Town, which had the same goal as it did.

-A level in the same spirit as Lego City, but much more expanded upon. It's fitting because the game itself I feel brought a lot from previous games and more, so we should get a level that reflects this.

Last edited:
Warthog from Twisted Metal 2012.
This is a vehicle you unlock for getting all golds in the story on the hardest difficulty and it's like another version of Axel. Like Axel, it's special allows you ride over enemies crushing them in the process and doing great damage. (Granted it's not a Juggernaut) Problem is, of course like Axel you can only use it on that enemy once and then afterwards you can't use that special on them again for the rest of the competition. It also requires a bit of coordination, which in a game where your aim is constantly being thrown off, that's not good. His alternate special is also similar to Axel's and just like it, it's not that great either.

From the beginning, I did not have high hopes for this to be a great reward and I ended up being even more disappointed than I expected! The story gets very difficult especially near the end and when it's all said and done, what you get is a vehicle that is essentially just another version of Axel with more armor, that is arguably inferior to most of the vehicles you already have unlocked by then. I know I keep saying this, but it's not really worth the trouble it takes to get it. At best, it's just something for you to gloat about to your friends and show that you beat the game. Don't get me wrong, it's not useless, but it's not incredibly useful either. It's not as bad as the Stealth Ship from LSWIII or those cars from NFSMW2005, but it's still not great.

• Juggernaut 2.0 and the Limo. These are already in the game as enemies in story mode, but they're not playable sadly. I think making them playable would be a step in the right direction, especially since they're already in the game and they would just need to be made to be used by the player.
  • Challenges that allow you to play as the bosses from story mode. Rewind back to Twisted Metal Head On, it had a challenge you unlocked later on that allowed you to play as Tower Tooth on one specific level and it was epic! If we had something like this in the game for The Brothers Grimm, Iron Maiden or the metal beast on the levels they were designed for, it would take this already epic game up to another level!
  • A be all, end all vehicle in a similar vein to previous games. In the previous games, we had vehicles like Dark Tooth, Tower Tooth and Minion and they were all great unlockables. They could bring any of those back or introduce a new one and I am sure it would be better than Warthog ever was.
Any of these 3 would be better than what we ended up with and I feel like it would be less difficult for some of these to be implemented than it was to add Warthog in the game anyways.

Last edited:
Completing the infamous 'flying the plane through rings on GTA San Andreas' mission.

Your reward... being able to continue the story :lol: :banghead:

Given the nightmare it was, giving you anything would have been better than just letting you move to the next mission.

Last edited:
Slave 1 in Lego Star Wars II and The Complete Saga.
In both games, you get this ship for collecting all the mini kits in each level in the game and although I like the ship, I really don't think it should have been utilized as a reward for this. For starters, getting all the mini kits in both games requires you to do a variety of different things, some harder than others and some of them require certain characters in order to get them and it can take a while to get them all. Okay, let's look at Lego City in both games for a moment, in LSWII you unlock it for getting 60 gold bricks in the game and 10 gold bricks in The Complete Saga. In both games, it takes considerably less time and effort to unlock Lego City than Slave 1 does (especially in TCS) and yet it is in my opinion, a much better reward.

Although I really like playing as Slave 1 in both games and I am glad it's in there, it's like the Stealth Ship from LSWIII, it's just another ship that's functionally the same as the others you've already unlocked by the time you get it and it'd be much better off as one you'd buy in the shop. I really don't think it's special enough to justify being a reward for getting all the mini kits in the game (no character or vehicle is), especially since both games have rewards that take less time and effort to unlock, yet are much better in my opinion. Although it's not as frustrating or annoying as the Stealth Ship in LSWIII was, it has a lot in common with it.

1. In LSWII, I think porting the level "A New Hope" from LSWI along with the characters they used in the level (which are noticeably different than what LSWII uses) would be a lot better and it would be fitting for LSWII given how it's set in the original trilogy. I say LSWII because it wouldn't really work in TCS though because TCS already has this level in the game normally.
2. For TCS, I think going through and finishing the unfinished original versions of Anakin's Flight and Bounty Hunter Pursuit from LSWI along with the scrapped level with Obi-Wan and Jango Fett over Geonosis from the same game would be totally worth the effort for getting all the mini kits. Sure they may be a lot more to ask for than what I said about LSWII, but TCS is a bigger game with a lot more levels than LSWII, so it should give a bigger reward.

Though it might be a bit of stretch for them to add these as unlockables in those games, it would be totally worth the effort and far better than giving a single character or vehicle ever could be.

Meant to ask this a lot sooner, but apparently forgot.
logging in to NFS payback to get various cars months after completing the game was, lame.. especially aftwr realizing afterwards, there was no reason to get that old volvo. Wasnt even interested in it in the first place. From what i understand, the new T10 games are doing three same at a much slower rate.
Lootboxes that you then have to pay for keys with real money to unlock, especially in games that aren't free-to-play.
What's your solution though?
The Alfa Romeo that you get after you win the 1000 Miles championship in GT4.
Out of curiosity, why do you think so and what do you think it should have been?
although I got the last 25% or so of the money for them from running the MUCH less enjoyable Costa di Amalfi(I think that was it) race which gave you a far better(well... far more expensive) car than it should have.
Yea it was Coast Di Amalfi. I used to do that race a bunch just for the sake of getting that RSC and selling it for a bunch of cash. It's a good reward, more so than it probably should be, simply because it sells for a whole lot.
Nice track, lame event.
I agree. The track is gorgeous, but the event, not so much. I kind of thought it went on too long and became boring after a while, especially since you had to play both the forward and reverse layouts. The race itself wasn't hard, finding the motivation to do it kind of was though, but at least it gives something to profit off of though.

Last edited:
What's your solution though?
The loot box thing kinda resolved itself as most games have moved onto the "season pass" model, which doesn't play on addiction to gambling so much as it plays on the fear of being permanently locked out of content if you don't either grind relentlessly or open your wallet to use the VIP/buyout option.

Personally I still think it's a bit scummy, but at least you know for sure what you will be getting and can decide whether it's really worth the time or money investment.

The loot box thing kinda resolved itself as most games have moved onto the "season pass" model, which doesn't play on addiction to gambling so much as it plays on the fear of being permanently locked out of content if you don't either grind relentlessly or open your wallet to use the VIP/buyout option.
I wouldn't know about that because I don't have any games that utilize this lootbox system and I don't follow any news relating to them, but I am glad it's becoming a thing of the past now. 👍
Personally I still think it's a bit scummy, but at least you know for sure what you will be getting and can decide whether it's really worth the time or money investment.
And I agree with everything you said here. I have never played a game that uses loot boxes, but I really don't think I need to just to see that it is bad. I can understand why people aren't crazy about DLC's as well.

Last edited:
Dragon Draughts in Spyro Season Of Flame.
This is a mini game you unlock for defeating Ripto, the main villain in the game. Essentially, it’s just a glorified checkers game, but with a Spyro aesthetic to it and a bad case of mind reading AI. I am not against it being in the game, but I do think it’s a bit misplaced in terms of where you unlock it. For defeating the main villain in the game, I don’t think its a good reward for doing that and it could have easily been something better. It’s made even worse by the fact it can be easily unlocked simply by using a cheat code.

1. Make it so you can’t drown in water in all levels and have all breath types at all times. While these can be achieved through cheat codes, the problem is they have to be entered every time you boot the game, which is annoying and inconvenient. Having them on all the time would be so much better and it would really add some extra fun to the game. With some decent story writing, they could implement a sub plot where now that Ripto is gone, this allows fairy magic to make this so and if done right, it would make sense.

As for Dragon Draughts, I think they could just keep it as cheat code only or maybe just make the reward for defeating Crush. It has no place being the reward for defeating Ripto.

Sparx Panic in Spyro Season of Flame.
This is the reward you get for 100% completion and while it has more going for it than Dragon Draughts, I also feel this one is a bit misplaced. Elder refers to it as “a special surprise” in game, but I was pretty disappointed by it the first time I played it. I mean, for beating the whole game, including doing that dreaded fire pixie challenge I loath at the thought of having to complete, it’s a pretty lousy and underwhelming reward for that. I don’t really like it much as a mini game and I find it to be rather annoying to play and it’s not worth the trouble it takes to get it. It also can be unlocked via a cheat code, making the reward rather redundant.

1. Something akin to the Super Bonus World like what Spyro Year of the Dragon had. A problem this game has is some of the mini games you play throughout the game cannot be played again once complete. They could make a level similar to the super bonus world that includes all the mini games throughout the game and perhaps a few new ones to add to it. It don’t have to be just mini games either, it can be more than just that. This would add a lot more replay value to the game and perhaps a little more to it as well. Better than Sparx Panic could ever hope to be.

Sparx Panic itself could just stay as a cheat code and nothing more.

Last edited:
Wasnt it metal gear solid that if you completed the game twice on hard difficulty, you got

Dan dan daa

A tuxedo to wear through the game for a third time.

Brilliant just what you wanted.

Your thank you car for completing the mileage task of the day.
Oh look at that nice LM!
Oh my gosh, the Redbull x2014!
GT: "Here is your shinny Civic Type-R that you can add to your pile of Type-Rs"

Monarch Deerstalker from MotorStorm: Pacific Rift.

latest

Pacific Rift is an interesting game in the sense that certain vehicle unlocks are tied to trophies. You unlock a specific trophy and earn a specific vehicle. The game's signature Wombat Typhoon for example can only be unlocked by beating all developer ghosts in time attack. It was something different that I liked during its early years, but don't like now that its deplatformed.

The Monarch Deerstalker was an award paired with a trophy for reaching the highest rank in ranked online. And unlike most online games, whilst coming in a good position earns you progress, coming in the bottom half of the race grid (regardless of player count) loses you progress, and at a seemingly higher rate from personal experience. Now you can just imagine how irritating that would be, especially with the game being well above mere contact racing. And that's not mentioning the big rig griefers.

The deerstalker just wasn't a worthy payout for enduring such a headache. Especially since in that game, ATVs have a bizarre hidden mechanic related to the controller's tilt functionality. If you don't keep the controller straight in your hands, your ATV will flip on a constant basis. And if they start to tip over, you need to tilt the controller in the opposite direction to put them back on their wheels. What's more, they weren't the best performers in any respect. They had decent acceleration but not the best, weren't good for tough terrain, had the lowest top speed in the game, and despite having two extra wheels, were less stable than bikes.

But this is a double-edged sword. I'm both miserable and glad that the Deerstalker is in its position. Because now that the servers are down, it and all other online trophy required vehicles are no longer obtainable. I never unlocked it myself, in fact it was the one vehicle I couldn't get before the servers went down. But if I could choose any vehicle to miss out on, it'd certainly be on my list.

Monarch Deerstalker from MotorStorm: Pacific Rift.

latest

Pacific Rift is an interesting game in the sense that certain vehicle unlocks are tied to trophies. You unlock a specific trophy and earn a specific vehicle. The game's signature Wombat Typhoon for example can only be unlocked by beating all developer ghosts in time attack. It was something different that I liked during its early years, but don't like now that its deplatformed.

The Monarch Deerstalker was an award paired with a trophy for reaching the highest rank in ranked online. And unlike most online games, whilst coming in a good position earns you progress, coming in the bottom half of the race grid (regardless of player count) loses you progress, and at a seemingly higher rate from personal experience. Now you can just imagine how irritating that would be, especially with the game being well above mere contact racing. And that's not mentioning the big rig griefers.

The deerstalker just wasn't a worthy payout for enduring such a headache. Especially since in that game, ATVs have a bizarre hidden mechanic related to the controller's tilt functionality. If you don't keep the controller straight in your hands, your ATV will flip on a constant basis. And if they start to tip over, you need to tilt the controller in the opposite direction to put them back on their wheels. What's more, they weren't the best performers in any respect. They had decent acceleration but not the best, weren't good for tough terrain, had the lowest top speed in the game, and despite having two extra wheels, were less stable than bikes.

But this is a double-edged sword. I'm both miserable and glad that the Deerstalker is in its position. Because now that the servers are down, it and all other online trophy required vehicles are no longer obtainable. I never unlocked it myself, in fact it was the one vehicle I couldn't get before the servers went down. But if I could choose any vehicle to miss out on, it'd certainly be on my list.
Wow, interesting post. I don't even play said game and I can easily see why that would be frustrating. Tying a vehicle towards a trophy like that seems like a bad decision because as you noted, once the servers are gone, the vehicle becomes inaccessible by normal means and that's going to annoy anyone who is a completionist. (like myself)

What do you think should be the reward instead? Or perhaps a better question is, where should the Deerstalker be unlocked at instead? (genuinely curious)

Wow, interesting post. I don't even play said game and I can easily see why that would be frustrating. Tying a vehicle towards a trophy like that seems like a bad decision because as you noted, once the servers are gone, the vehicle becomes inaccessible by normal means and that's going to annoy anyone who is a completionist. (like myself)

What do you think should be the reward instead? Or perhaps a better question is, where should the Deerstalker be unlocked at instead? (genuinely curious)

Throwing out the finite nature of online, a better reward for max rank would have been one of the more flashy and unique vehicles like this big boy. Not only is it a jet powered big rig, but is allegedly faster than the other rigs in the game by a slight margin. Not sure if that's true or false, but the griefers seemed to think so, seeing as this was their go-to vehicle.
latest

For the Deerstalker itself, I would have tossed it in as a career unlock like most of the game's content.

Hitman 2 (and by extension, Hitman and I assume Hitman 3, I haven't seen what the unlocks are like there) is another contender for worst unlocks ever - your rewards for beating all the missions under the hardest conditions are just a cosmetic reskin of the lockpick, coins, briefcase and yet another suit...

The series hasn't shied away from silly weapons in the past so I would've much preferred something like akimbo silverballers or the minigun from Contracts just to mess around with, I mean as long as it doesn't break any of the extra content (alternative missions or escalations) or make it easy to do stupidly fast silent assassin runs then why not go nuts? But I'm still doing all this stuff anyway because I enjoy the game so much.

There were the Mk.2 versions of Hitman items, but they were functionally needed so there was parity between Hitman and Hitman 2 without requiring players to own both and the super low effort "signature mk.2 look" meme was obviously a joke so I don't mind that as much.

Last edited:
All test and driving license test in GT4. It was so rewarding when I finally finished all the tests and got gold on all of them. To unlock cars in GT4 was :ouch:

Also in FlatOut 2: Ultimate Carnage, the ragdoll tests were very, very annoying to unlock cars and tracks.

Back