Worst rewards/unlockables in a video game?

Some from Gran Turismo 4
Now now, GT4's unraceable special cars are just cheating. :crazy:

I'd like to add the Nike One 2022 (holy 🤬 just one year to go), awarded from both the IB license and the Saleen S7 one-make, which is as pointless as it comes. As a general rule I don't enjoy winning the same car I already used in a one-make, but even getting another Saleen to make up for the costs of buying one would be more satisfying.
Winning a Toyota Yaris for beating the Professinal Yaris/Vitz series in Gran Turismo 3.

People rage about getting cars they already own in the daily reward for driving 26 miles in GT Sport, well there was nothing like winning a Toyota Yaris/Vitz that you already own from a very long and boring championship like the Professinal Vitz/Yaris series in Gran Turismo 3.
I always just reloaded a save before the final round when this happened, it was easily the worst. Even doing 10 laps of one of the game's longest tracks multiple times is nicer than receiving something totally worthless for my efforts.

Sticking with the theme from other posts:

Gran Turismo 1

Clubman Cup
Chevrolet Camaro Z28 30th Anniversary; a terrible car with an ugly colour scheme.

Hard-Tuned Car Cup
The hardest championship in the game, and there is a 50% of winning a Toyota AE86 Trueno. Pathetic.

I know GT1 prize cars have unique colours but it's an awful car that is, at that point in the game, by far one of the worst cars you'll have.

In fact, most of the early cars you win in any GT game are just instantly forgettable. In GT2 you win standard Clios, Yarises, MX-5s and MR-Ses. Complete trash that will be instantly sold.

Throwing out the finite nature of online, a better reward for max rank would have been one of the more flashy and unique vehicles like this big boy. Not only is it a jet powered big rig, but is allegedly faster than the other rigs in the game by a slight margin. Not sure if that's true or false, but the griefers seemed to think so, seeing as this was their go-to vehicle.
latest

For the Deerstalker itself, I would have tossed it in as a career unlock like most of the game's content.
Personally, as a outsider looking in, I don't think any reward could justify the difficulty it takes to get to the top just based on what you said. Having things that can only be unlocked online is generally a bad idea in my opinion because not everyone is able to participate in it and those servers aren't going to last forever, which means some people will miss out on them. Though I suppose their has to be something to encourage players to play online more.

I can remember playing Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005 a long time ago and it had some things that could only be unlocked online. It bummed me as a kid because I had no means of playing online and therefore could not get them. It's even worse now because I can't imagine the servers being active anymore due to how old the game is.

Need for Speed Carbon is another example of this as well. I tend to forget about this, but it has some reward cards that can only be obtained via online and it's a shame because some of them are genuinely good. The Porsche 911 GT3 RS might just be the most offensive of them all because it requires you to reach Online XP Level 50 and to beat an EA moderator in a ranked online game. I don't know much about online play in Carbon because my time was spent mostly on the PS2 version, but I can't imagine that being easy and what's the likelihood you'll ever encounter an EA moderator anyways? :confused: It's a pity because it's a nice car! Fortunately, from what I gather, the servers might still be up.
I'd like to add the Nike One 2022 (holy 🤬 just one year to go), awarded from both the IB license and the Saleen S7 one-make, which is as pointless as it comes. As a general rule I don't enjoy winning the same car I already used in a one-make, but even getting another Saleen to make up for the costs of buying one would be more satisfying.
While I love the Nike One 2022, I do kind of wish they had put something else in it's place for IB License because having it in as a reward in two places seems kind of pointless. While I fail to see how it has any relation to Saleen whatsoever, I'm fine with it being there since I can win it again if I ever need to. The same can't be said for IB License though.
In fact, most of the early cars you win in any GT game are just instantly forgettable. In GT2 you win standard Clios, Yarises, MX-5s and MR-Ses. Complete trash that will be instantly sold.
GT4 is one that comes to mind for me. I can remember completing B License when I was 12 and being rather unimpressed by the Volkswagen Lupo it gave me. Small achievement means you get a small reward in return I guess? I never found a use for it, but I could be misjudging it though. The Autobianchi Abarth is one I felt similar towards as well, but it later proved to be useful and maybe the Lupo is the same way? Still, I can't say I am amused with the Lupo as a reward. Though I must confess, I haven't played GT4 in a very long time.

Last edited:
Open ended/open world games that give you absolutely nothing for completing them 100%. Metal Gear Solid V is the most recent one I can think of, but there have been quite a few. After 100+ hours of gameplay, doing everything you have to offer, some sort of unique reward shouldn't be out of the question.

The alternate ending in Crash Bandicoot 1.
You get this for collecting all the gems in each level, which requires you to break all the crates without dying once. In the end, all it does is just bypass the boss fight with Cortex, which isn't extremely difficult, and you get Crash riding away with his girlfriend with some explanations to the boss's whereabouts, and then the credits roll, that's it. Okay, the game is already very difficult to boot, but the thought of having to get all the gems is absolutely unthinkable to me and in the end, what you get is not even close to being worth the effort in any sense of the word. Plus, the alternate ending goes nowhere from there and doesn't tie into the next game or any later games that I'm aware of, as the later titles did, so it's pretty pointless anyway. The N'sane Trilogy might not have been as bad, but even then, it still isn't worth it.

I would say just reverse the endings a bit and make the true ending the reward instead, but I doubt many would even make far enough to see it and would most likely miss out on it due to the games difficulty. So I don't really know a suitable reward for getting all the gems. 🤷

Last edited:
Back