Would You Ask For a Free Meal?

Some of y'all have no empathy...

I'm way too reserved and Bri'ish for confrontation. If something is wrong, you just need to calmly show the waiting staff the issue, and they will deal with it. If you're moaning about a sauce that's not red enough, you deserve to be laughed at, but if there's a genuine issue - such as inedible plastic in your food - staff and managers should be horrified anyway even without the customer screaming at them. With any issue you find as a customer, the politer and more understanding you are of the situation, the more likely you are to get something better in return. Any upstanding restaurant will see and issue and likely offer a refund or replacement. Customers only need to get angry if the staff are being massively unreasonable.

Never demand a refund, it makes you the one in the wrong then. Ask for one and you'll get more from it. The right attitude solves more than shouting.

Of course, saying nothing to the staff and then review-bombing online is the worst crime against humanity. Any self-respecting owner wants to know about issues when the crop up so they can deal with it. Karen24_A on TripAdvisor writing a rant without any timing or details in it doesn't solve anything.

Did they accidentally serve up a display model?

I'd point it out to the server and give them a chance to put it right, I'd hope they would pass it up to management themselves as the likelihood is that it isn't freshly made food and they just cooked it out of a bag or box. The supplier is the one who messed up here, not the restaurant.

Last edited:
Some of y'all have no empathy...

I'm way too reserved and Bri'ish for confrontation. If something is wrong, you just need to calmly show the waiting staff the issue, and they will deal with it. If you're moaning about a sauce that's not red enough, you deserve to be laughed at, but if there's a genuine issue - such as inedible plastic in your food - staff and managers should be horrified anyway even without the customer screaming at them. With any issue you find as a customer, the politer and more understanding you are of the situation, the more likely you are to get something better in return. Any upstanding restaurant will see and issue and likely offer a refund or replacement. Customers only need to get angry if the staff are being massively unreasonable.

Never demand a refund, it makes you the one in the wrong then. Ask for one and you'll get more from it. The right attitude solves more than shouting.

Of course, saying nothing to the staff and then review-bombing online is the worst crime against humanity. Any self-respecting owner wants to know about issues when the crop up so they can deal with it. Karen24_A on TripAdvisor writing a rant without any timing or details in it doesn't solve anything.
Refreshingly Bri'ish solution here. Exactly what I'd do.

However, if I feel REALLY incensed, I may set down my drinking glass slightly more firmly than is generally appropriate in polite company. That will surely show them the white hot fury of my volcanic rage.

In generally I'm pretty easy going about mistakes. I've not only received less/worse quality food by accident, I've also received more than what I asked for and had restaurants try to offer me extras to make up for inconveniences that I wasn't even bothered by. That said if something seems majorly wrong or particularly dangerous, I think that warrants reporting. I would definitely say something about plastic in food especially if it seems likely to happen to someone else. I'd probably ask for a refund too seeing as what I asked for would clearly be defective and unusable.

Which GTP member I'm going to meet in the future, can I ask him for a free meal?

Pretty much unrelated but this reminded me that we used to get free meals from Chipotle all the time when we would tour in America, we just called ahead to say that we were a hungry touring British band and that we would shout them out on our social media etc. It was cool cause they would all come over to the table to and chat to us all excited cause we had weird accents haha.

Pretty much unrelated but this reminded me that we used to get free meals from Chipotle all the time when we would tour in America, we just called ahead to say that we were a hungry touring British band and that we would shout them out on our social media etc. It was cool cause they would all come over to the table to and chat to us all excited cause we had weird accents haha.

Did your amp go up to 11? We’re you really from a British band touring the US? Are you secretly Gavin Rossdale? Tell us all…

Did your amp go up to 11?
We tried, but we usually had to beg, borrow and steal gear beforehand, as we would fly over as 'tourists' on separate flights to avoid detection by The Man™
We’re you really from a British band touring the US?
Yeah, I think I've toured over there in 5 or 6 different bands, all of which made a horrible racket and made people beat the hell out of each other.
Are you secretly Gavin Rossdale? Tell us all…
Love that this is the first British musician that comes to mind haha

I wouldnt go far and ask for a free meal.

Most of the time, I would just ask to get the order fix, though on some cases, I have it anyway.

Like if I order a Soft Taco/Burrito and get a Hard Taco, Ill just eat it anyway

Back