Would you buy "Maps"?

• Thread starter Soman
  • 31 comments
Would you buy color printed maps (with important track details) and have a thin lining as you have on the whiteboards that you can write with a marker and later easily erase with a wipe of a paper?

I was thinking if they would sell these then you could you easily study the tracks and decide your path, where to break, where to let go of the trhottlle abit ect......What do you say? Would be a good way to become "ready" for the race youre just going to compete. Lets saying its Online or offline where loosing not winning will cost you.

Cheers!

When Nordschleife was announced someone posted a trackguide, a large PDF document that covered every inch of the circuit, how to approach it, what to watch out for, etc.

A few of us instantly raised an eyebrow.

You should be able to learn and remember the line without any sort of aid. I honestly think trying to draw down the correct line on some 2D copy of the track wouldn't achieve much, we're dealing with different dimensions. Most people know the best line is to hit the apex whilst making the turn as wide as possible. We could probably all draw it down easily enough. But actually putting that into practice? That's something else. Where you turn, brake, coast and accelerate is different for every car.

Have to agree with Eagle here.

There is no substitute to practice. What's more, braking points will vary depending on what car is driven and its tuning, tyres etc etc, so the only way to improve is through practice.

Well thats true, but wouldnt it be good to plan ahead where you will turn? I dont mean someone else will draw but that you will draw your own line. But practice can never be substituted.

I wish people would stop treating it as if it's bloody real

Yeah, I mean what the hell is PD tooting it's own horn when they only came within FIVE PERCENT of the real lap of the Nurburgring.

I'm goin back to Pole Position II.

Cobra, from what I recal, some people who have raced a lot of these tracks in real life said that the GT series is only off by a second or two either way. That's pretty damn "bloody real" to me.

No, it's not an actual car. Do you have the money to take something like an $80,000 NSX, pump a whole buncha money to increase the output - and then go race the everliving crap out of it? I sure as hell don't. Until I do, and then probably even then, GT will be "bloody real" for me.

I'm not tryin to be a jerk here, but damn dude... just let people have their fun. Just cause someone is more into it than you are doesn't make them strange.

Originally posted by Latka
Yeah, I mean what the hell is PD tooting it's own horn when they only came within FIVE PERCENT of the real lap of the Nurburgring.

You got it wrong : PD managed to get the lap of Nurburgring within FIVE SECONDS from the real one, which is less than ONE PERCENT (it is an 8 minute plus lap). That is very real indeed.

Originally posted by Soman
Would you buy color printed maps (with important track details) and have a thin lining as you have on the whiteboards that you can write with a marker and later easily erase with a wipe of a paper?

Answer: NO

Originally posted by Latka
Cobra, from what I recal, some people who have raced a lot of these tracks in real life said that the GT series is only off by a second or two either way. That's pretty damn "bloody real" to me.

D-d-d-d-did you just refer codekev as Cobra?!?!!?

/hides under table :nervous:

And uh buying maps for a computer game? Just learn the course the good old fashioned way. Its not like you'll have a limited number of runs like in reality.

*rips Latkas head off*

I never said they were strange either, so please don't try to quote stuff I never said. I was pointing out that it was pointless, that's all.

I might sew on some GT logos yes, I'm also thinking of getting one of them setups PD has at their offices and a jump suit, would a helmet and fire-proof hood be overboard?

"ripping my head off?" Nice schoolyard touch, mate. It's quite amusing how people have become so bold over the years on the internet.

And, if you'll read what I posted,

Just cause someone is more into it than you are doesn't make them strange

Where does it say there that "Code_Kev" said that?

Sorry about getting the usernames switched. I saw Cobra in Code_Kev's signature I think.

Code_Kev, if this whoe exercise is pointless, why don't you just go away then? ...or do you not understand that the whole purpose of this message forum is for discussion about GT4?

When i said I ripped your head off, I meant it in sarcasm, shhessshhh! Well we are still discussing the game, I just gave my opinion.

Five seconds of the Nurburgring long course? Interesting... I guess as a GT fan, you'll have to envision racing a road course for about as many miles as one lap of the Nurburgring. I think it is 13, 16, 19.6 miles long. So that would mean... let me see. It would be like three laps and change of the Complex String. I don't know about others, so try to estimate how many laps that would be like to race that long course. I wanted to say Tokyo R246, but as fast as that track is, it's still pretty long.

It's sometimes confusing there are so many Nurburging threads and no one reads them or absorbs the info from them. The Nordschleife is 14 miles, 22.8km.

The time in question was recorded by a Nissan test driver who lapped 8 minutes something in a Skyline R34 GTR I think it was. He's an avid GT fan so he proceeded to repeat the lap as best he could in game, and came within 5 seconds.

Well thats true, but wouldnt it be good to plan ahead where you will turn? I dont mean someone else will draw but that you will draw your own line. But practice can never be substituted.

I'll stick with my tried and true "Turn where the asphalt turns".

Of course it is the same driver. They mentioned that the top test driver for Nissan, is indeed a GT fan. His times around the Nürburgring on the real Nissan Skyline were 5 seconds apart from the virtual ones. That is impressive, if you consider that this track has as many as 170 different curves and drastic elevation changes.

I am really looking forward to comparing my future ´ring times with those from Best Motoring magazine reviewers. I have footage of laps on an S2000, 1990 NSX, NSX Type S-Zero, WRX Sti, R34 Skyline GTR Gr. N, EVO 8 MR, etc.

On Best Motoring´s April 2004 edition, when Nakaya tests the EVO8 around the ´ring, they mention the complete lap times for NSX-R (1st gen), NSX-R (2nd gen), R34 GTR, R33 GTR, EVO 8 MR, and some others.

I guess that beating Derek Bell´s 6 min 40 sec time on the Rothmans Porsche 962 will be quite a challenge!!

Give me an F2004 and I'll give you your record.

The F1 cars will probably pass that mark, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Originally posted by Eagle
Give me an F2004 and I'll give you your record.

Current F1 cars cannot drive arounf the Nürburgring in real life, due to limited ground clearance. Try to imagine the F2004 around the Carousel (spel?), and you will surely see flying suspension and aerodinamic pieces!!

I believe that the last F1 race at the old Ring was almost 25 years ago.

A couple of years ago, the Opel DTM teams tested their cars to verify if they could compete on the 24 hour race. Let me tell you that they not only passed the test, but also took part of the race with good results.

I see it as semi amazing that they got a similiar times as it could just be eavening out the time. At certain places he was much faster and others slower. Would be fun to see more of these tests on how "real" the game is.

Martin Max, Would you want to post the times?
Cheers

Martin Max, Would you want to post the times?
Cheers

I´ll check them when I get home later in the evening, but I remember that the fastest time was for the new NSX-R driven by Motoharu Kurosawa at 7min 56sec. That is an amazing time for a 280hp car. Walter Rohrl (Porsche´s current top road car test driver) managed to do that same time with a Porsche 911 GT3 Mk 1 with 360hp.

I think it is a better option than putting coaching lessons etc onthe disc. I will probably buy a game guide which hopefully has track plans, but I dont think I would just buy track maps.

Current F1 cars can't in real life. This isn't real life. The hell with ground clearance, the rooster tail of sparks will make my lightning lap look even more spectacular.

The last F1 race was in 1976.

Having some quick reference maps of each course might be of some use, for those newbies to the game. After all the F1 and Rally drivers always have a map of any new courses before they start racing on them, just to get an idea of the track layout beforehand.

But I don't think there would be much merit in adding racing line's and/or braking points for each course.

Nice idea tho dude.

Cheers

Jamie

well, IMO maps are quite useless.. ok, you can learn the turns before you enter the circuit, but what about the speed and braking points..? Nordschleife has kind of crests and bumps everywhere and you should be careful where you put your braking points, otherwise your car would be all over the track.. But actually, I could see myself, as a racing fan, buy these maps.. They should be laminated for first, and should be big enough to use as posters on the wall.. :D But there are nearly no practical use for this, other than emotional.. (Nordschleife on my wall..):odd:

Drivers do get maps of where they'll race before they get to new venues. However, these days it's a lot more complex.

Looking at the Bahrain Grand Prix, the FIA released a technical map of the circuit showing it in exacting detail. Using this teams modelled the inclines, angles and every aspect of the track. They then simulated their car on the circuit with various settings. Renault alone ran about 1 million simulations before arriving at the complex.

There is a preview button beside each race in Simulation mode. The other alternative is just a demonstration lap in a generic car. That will teach them a lot more about the track than a map will.

Back