• Thread starter Fat Tyre
  • 40 comments

Would you like to see punctures in GT7?

• Yes

Votes: 96 77.4%
  • No

Votes: 28 22.6%

• Total voters
I voted no, only because I don't think it's fair to have random failures in a 'game'.

I also don't think random punctures should be in. That's not fun.

I think if you do something that could cause a puncture then there could be a chance to get a puncture, as then the player has agency in choosing whether to avoid the debris/kerb/contact or to take their chances.

I'm fine with adding it as a strategic decision on how you drive your race, I'd hate the idea of a random "you lose the race now" event.

The more realistic the better but they would need to make it work well, for it to be worth adding.

Route X does have pits :)
29bzknq.jpg
Oh I was thinking of route 7 srry

I think if you do something that could cause a puncture then there could be a chance to get a puncture, as then the player has agency in choosing whether to avoid the debris/kerb/contact or to take their chances.

I'm fine with adding it as a strategic decision on how you drive your race, I'd hate the idea of a random "you lose the race now" event.

Punctures would be okay with me if it was optional. But I suspect that it would be a feature that's never used, much like the heavy damage option. Right now there are 72% "yes" votes in the poll, but I bet that if punctures actually made it to the game it wouldn't be used by gamers any more than heavy damage is being used today.

Most car companies have restrictions on how much they want to see their virtual representations of their cars banged up.
Classic urban legend right there.

I agree no random punctures, they should comes from running in the grass after the kerbs, most of the people cut corners while keeping 2 wheels on track because grass doesn't damage tires.
How many times people cut at Suzuka or Apricot Hill? A puncture after 3 or 4 cuts is well deserved.

Last edited:
I never race without Heavy damage set to on and any level of realism added to the game I would welcome with open arms. For me its that part of random realism that the game is missing - It would make the online leagues that I race in just that little bit more interesting and fun :)

If it was transparent what gave you a puncture, so you would know what's safe and what isn't, then I could imagine it. But knowing from experience how inconsistently PD implements what is on or off-track, I'd rather not get into the frustration of it.

A little tire blowout isn't really anything violent.
If anything, tire manufacturers would be the ones to against this, not car manufacturers :P.

I voted no, only because I don't think it's fair to have random failures in a 'game'. If I did something to cause a mechanical failure like changing down too many gears and blowing the engine, then fair enough. But something like a puncture is just a random damage based scenario that could ruin your race, and in a game that only allows you a restart function, I wouldn't have any fun needing to restart a race because I got a puncture and came 3rd or 4th through no fault of my own. Especially doing a 60 minute race and having to start again to 'grind' the game because of a random fault you can't control. To me, that's not fair and far from enjoyable.

I know it happens in the real world, but you also occasionally hit wildlife (Deer, a Moose if Rallying) and you wouldn't put that into a racing game would you? The line between game and real life has to be drawn somewhere to make the experience more enjoyable instead of a ballache just to compete in a race, let alone win one.
Why would it be random? It should be a direct result of mistreating your tires. Tires are part of the car, the track surface is part of the track. It would be no more random than your car losing performance when hit by another car, or a track obstacle.

A moose however, is not part of the track, and that's why that was a pretty bad example on your part. I'm sure you can see how wearing down a tire to the point where it could blow isn't the same as rolling a dice for throwing a moose at your car.

Most car companies have restrictions on how much they want to see their virtual representations of their cars banged up, a.k.a. rights issues. There are over 80 makes represented in Gran Turismo. I doubt it.

Games like Burnout and Wreckfest have fictional cars because of rights issues, and NFS Shift, the GRID games, PCARS, and many PC sims don't have a wide selection of cars & makes as GT/Forza do.
Which manufacturers in particular have objected to it?

Last edited:
I think it would be cool to have actual tire damage like they do in real life. For example, if a race car driver gets into the gravel or what they call "kitty litter" damage will be done to the tires. Another example is when drivers cars get stuck together and causes damage to the tires like in NASCAR. It would be a refreshing change to the GT series and people would have to think of a strategy during a long race like the Endurance ones.

F1 Spa, now look at Vettel...how did that go? They pushed the limits and wanted one pitstop but the tire didnt manage. As mentioned earlier here, Hungary was another great example. So yes punctures and
damage in general should be in place so its a sim for those who want.

Back