Would you love to see Ridge Racer for Xbox Series X, PS5 and PC?

• Thread starter GTxForza
  • 9 comments
Australia
Australia
Dear petrol heads in GTPlanet!

Back in 2013-2014, I was expecting the Xbox One and PS4 to have a new Ridge Racer game and this never happened which I felt very disappointed.

Xbox Series X and PS5 are both launching soon by November 2020, so would you love to see Ridge Racer series to return?

Of course I'd love to see the Ridge Racer series return. I sort of envisioned this future Ridge Racer to either follow RR7, or maybe even some spinoff. There are actually two alternate ideas I had. One would be more suitable as a movie or something- imagine a battle between the series' two iconic cars- the Angelus vs. the Crinale. The other would be a modern resurfacing of Real Racing Roots. For the latter, one GTPlaneteer wishes it were "Real Racing Roots 2020 or 2021." One thing I wouldn't bargain for would be an Unbounded sequel or something. If there was a modern take on classic Ridge Racer, the car companies would be different along with some of their offerings. For example, there was Lizard then... now Danver. You'd have to add in other makes the likes of Soldat, Himmel, Gnade, and Sinseong among others. Reiko Nagase is in more of an executive role when she used to be a grid girl. So a lot will change.

If you're going to revive an iconic series with a new game, don't half-heart it. Ridge Racer has been around circa 1994. Devoted fans would love something to celebrate over 25 years of one of the most popular racing game franchises in history. So I would prefer some kind of package that celebrates the series' past while looking to the future. I would like to see Namco Bandai try and pull this off. However, mostly fan-driven types tend to deliver better on past franchises, because they know what makes classic franchises great. That's why games like "Sonic Mania" did so well in capturing classic games with a modern touch.

Final note... I can understand maybe if a would-be modern Ridge Racer would be on a Nintendo Switch exclusive. I could understand that, even for a series that originated console-wise on the PlayStation 1. Or how about this for a surprise... (hypothetical name) "Ridge Racer 8" a launch title for the PlayStation 5. I do agree wanting to see a modern Ridge Racer. My only suggestion? Do it right. Put out a quality modern Ridge Racer.

Ridge Racer 5 was my first PS2 game and although the series was really enjoyable back in the day I think don't think it has survived the passage of time very well. I think it may well have had its day.

The racing genre has become really crowded with decent games and content, if RR did come back they would have to offer something different and something beyond the basic arcade formula. I know they tried this before and it didn't work but if they want to be relevant they need some sort of re-invention.

I would love to see it return, but I'm not really holding my breath. At this point, I'm not even sure if Bandai Namco remembers that Ridge Racer is a thing...

I would love to see it return, but I'm not really holding my breath. At this point, I'm not even sure if Bandai Namco remembers that Ridge Racer is a thing...

I just have this image of someone in that office stumbling on an old box of Ridge Race promo material and saying "Wait, This is a thing we own!?" :lol:

I grew up with Rage Racer and RR Type 4 on the PS1. Memorised every car and every track. Listened to all the soundtracks. Then when I got PS3 and tried RR7, somehow the magic is lost. Graphically it's still second to none, but the gameplay is just meh. Hate the nitro and convoluted tuning system as well. Didn't even touch RR Unbounded as that's just a wannabe Burnout clone.

I agree that the market has probably moved on from these kinds of racers. Unless they can come up with something truly revolutionary, it's best to let the name rest.

You know, I was skeptical myself about the nitro and stuff in "Ridge Racer 7," but I actually didn't mind it. It doesn't take away too much from past Ridge Racer titles. What would be a surprise would be if Ridge Racer mostly returned to its roots and not really be all futuristic. Like, let's imagine there was a "Real Racing Roots 202X." It would draw on RRT4 while modernizing it. Let's say new teams formed. Maybe we get a Pole Position team, a Time Crisis team, a Tekken team, maybe even a Dead to Rights team. Something nostalgic within postmodern gaming would be very cool for Ridge Racer fans. And in case new people may find out the Ridge Racer games, it would be a great way to introduce yourself to the 25+ year history of Ridge Racer.

Will any of this happen? Maybe. Perhaps enough interest from devoted fans could lead so some kind of amazing deal to revive Ridge Racer. Either that, or Namco Bandai may have to follow some model similar to Project CARS to try to be relevant in today's racing/driving game landscape.

Something in the vein of RR4 with the fictional cars and a championship path that gets you your chosen manufacturer's stable of cars, or nothing.

Back