would you pay a monthly fee for dedicated GT online servers?

• Thread starter Brainhulk
  • 57 comments

would you pay a monthly fee for dedicated GT online servers?

• yes

Votes: 18 12.5%
  • no

Votes: 102 70.8%
  • maybe, depends how much

Votes: 24 16.7%

• Total voters
For me, it all depends on cost & features. If it is cheap & has improvements from GT5, then yes. If they say improvements will be released later on as an update, I'll wait for the update & listen to feedback from other players

There's no real point to it, regardless of how some people throw the term around as if it means 100% flawless online play is guaranteed. I'd guess GT5's problems stemmed from problems with the netcode (as seen with how many times that they tweaked the two different physics engines) and the international focus the game had more than anything.

Last edited:
For just the servers? Nope... what I would pay for is a fully realized, moderated online community, which includes a large array of PD-organized and sanctioned racing leagues and clubs, for both casual and more serious gamers, where users are ranked, points are awarded, official prizes are handed out (both big and small), and races are monitored by online marshals.

I think what I described above is worth paying a monthly fee for. But just a server to reduce latency or improve connection stability, not at all.

Post of the week right there:tup:👍:bowdown::gtpflag:

For just the servers? Nope... what I would pay for is a fully realized, moderated online community, which includes a large array of PD-organized and sanctioned racing leagues and clubs, for both casual and more serious gamers, where users are ranked, points are awarded, official prizes are handed out (both big and small), and races are monitored by online marshals.

I think what I described above is worth paying a monthly fee for. But just a server to reduce latency or improve connection stability, not at all.

If this came part of the features of PS+, absolutely.

They should make different standalone GT-Server PS3 program on playstore for download, free or for charge, what users can run and modify on their own PS3, even it takes own PS3 for it.

Agree with Tezster. Someone has to organize and moderate the community.

Servers aren't something I'd really want to pay for. That's partially your part of the problem - your internet connection.

Pretty much no one would pay for it at first, but if it ends up being good, people would eventually come around. It's all about how good it is, but at first it'd be a huge investment risk so something would probably never happen.

I wouldn't pay. I would only be willing to pay if it were more of a simulator, like iRacing, but even then, I don't pay for iRacing. I considered it a while back, but I just don't have the time to put into it anymore. I did race in LFS for a while, but committing to more competitive race series and championships is tough for me.

I've already paid my price of admission by purchasing the game. To go a step further, I'm a Plus member. Paying even more to play online would be demanding too much.

No, I wouldn't use it, I hardly ever race online anyway, until the NBN comes around, I wouldn't have a fast enough connection for it to help anyway

I really wouldn't, the servers bad. Once in a couple of hours I have lag for like two seconds. If you have lag more aften, you should be looking at your own internet connection. I often run a full lobby in high quality, without lag. We have the cheapest internet though. (fast enough: 20mb/s download speed, 2mb/s upload speed but very stable.) ;) Even with my last internet connection ds 10mb/s us 1mb/s it could host a high quality lobby.

I would be happy to pay for online servers if the game didn't cost $69.

If the game gets cut down to $20 brand-new sure I'll pay some kind of small one dollar monthly fee for online servers.

Unlike most Europeans and Democrats I believe in capitalism. However I also believe in taking care of your customers and not continuously overcharging them for services that should be free.

I would be happy to pay for online servers if the game didn't cost $69.

If the game gets cut down to $20 brand-new sure I'll pay some kind of small one dollar monthly fee for online servers.

Unlike most Europeans and Democrats I believe in capitalism. However I also believe in taking care of your customers and not continuously overcharging them for services that should be free.
You believe in capitalism but you also believe that corporations should provide things for free that cost money to provide while providing added value to you. Epic:tup:

"Most Europeans"? Way to generalize there.

Unlike most economic conservatives from Texas, I'm not a judgmental jerk who labels people based only on their nationality.

See how it makes me sound like a complete 🤬 to say things like that? Take note.

You believe in capitalism but you also believe that corporations should provide things for free that cost money to provide while providing added value to you. Epic:tup:

:lol:

Meh, with how their past server debacles have gone, no, it'd be (my)money better spent elsewhere.

If they want to try it(dedicated servers) for a small-period for free, then offer a longer-period dedication for pay, I would hear/listen to the full plan and all the details, but for now there's other things they need to fixfocus on.

No we shouldn't have to pay for it but I would pay for it if needed be as I'm a serious online racer who hosts series and there would be better than to have lag free, DC free racing.

I think if there was an option for us serious online racers to have the option for a better server I think we would all pay a little extra don't you think?

PD can't even deliver a jammed packed offline mode like GT4 so I definitely wouldn't give them an extra dime. When they can surpass what they gave us for GT4 then perhaps but I chose no because I don't see it happening no time soon.

I voted no as the online multiplayer is sold as part of the game.

It would be different if it was sold as a service à la iRacing, or a cheaper single player game you buy (at a reduced price compared to now) with a separate fee for online.

No, I wouldn't pay for something that should be commonplace.

I hate the P2P structure of the whole thing.

Is there actually any PS3 game that has dedicated servers instead of P2P?

No, I wouldn't pay for something that should be commonplace.
I hate the P2P structure of the whole thing.
Is there actually any PS3 game that has dedicated servers instead of P2P?
Battlefield 3 is the only game I can think of. It has dedicated servers on the 360 so I am sure it has dedicated servers on the PS3. Oh and Defiance.
I would have to assume Mag has dedicated servers since it hosts 256 players.

Back