WRC, ERC and national rallying 2024Rally 

Kalle Rovanpera took victory at Kenya this weekend, his 2nd start of his part time season. Taka Katstuta took 2nd and Adrien Formaux took a 2nd podium of the season.

Wasn't plain sailing, Kenya bit hard this weekend, plenty of punctures and issues, with Hyundai seeming particularly susceptible to issues throughout. Meaning they needed a strong Sunday, with Tanak taking the Sunday honours ahead of Elfyn and Neuville.

This means, again, the top 10 points scorers is a different top 10 to the actually rally result, which is impossible to find on WRC media..

Top 10 points:
1. Rovanpera
2. Neuville
3. Katstuta
4. Formaux
5. Evans
6. Tanak
7. Greensmith
8. Lappi
9. Solberg
10. Kajetan

Top 10 actual:
1. Rovapnera
2. Katstuta
3. Formaux
4. Evans
5. Neuville
6. Greensmith
7. Solberg
8. Tanak
9. Serderidis
10. Kajetan

So Formaux got a podium but didn't, Neuville didn't get a podium but did, Lappi finished outside of the points but didn't..

Here are the points standings based on the old (correct) points system:

And with the new (stupid) system.

Lappi losing out on the new system, P8 on the current and should be P5, the new system devaluing his Sweden win. Tanak is P4 but theoretically should be P7 due to the issues he has had.

They've tried to make Sundays more exciting but it just means if someone has an issue on Day 1 of the rally then they just cruise to Sunday, it just shifted the boring running to a different point of the rally.

Croatia up next!

Last edited:
Objectively, I can see what they were trying to do, seeing the Hyundai's in particular going hell for leather on Sunday was fairly entertaining to watch. The issue in my mind (based off last weekend and Sweden) is that the risk vs reward is heavily skewed towards those who have their issues early, mainly due to the Saturday point allocations being put "on ice" rather than being allocated there and then.

With Sweden in particular, it meant Ott/Kalle could go as quickly as they wished on the Sunday because they basically had nothing to lose if they stuck the car into a snow bank again, whereas Lappi et al were focused on bringing it home safe and sound.

Kenya was a bit different in that Neuville somehow ended Saturday in the top 5 despite all his issues, but even so having someone finish 5th overall in the rally and yet score the most points (which would've happened if Kalle had taken it properly easy on the power stage) would really have set the alarm bells going...

Granted it's still a 5 point gap between someone "winning" the first 2 days and effectively conceding to someone who takes a full sweep on the Sunday, but I (and it seems plenty of others) feel like there should definitely be more emphasis on the overall classification in regards to point allocations.

As an aside, super stuff from Gus Greensmith, persevering in those conditions to win the WRC2 category despite him seemingly having a swim in the Thames before jetting out there...

Objectively, I can see what they were trying to do, seeing the Hyundai's in particular going hell for leather on Sunday was fairly entertaining to watch. The issue in my mind (based off last weekend and Sweden) is that the risk vs reward is heavily skewed towards those who have their issues early, mainly due to the Saturday point allocations being put "on ice" rather than being allocated there and then.

With Sweden in particular, it meant Ott/Kalle could go as quickly as they wished on the Sunday because they basically had nothing to lose if they stuck the car into a snow bank again, whereas Lappi et al were focused on bringing it home safe and sound.

Kenya was a bit different in that Neuville somehow ended Saturday in the top 5 despite all his issues, but even so having someone finish 5th overall in the rally and yet score the most points (which would've happened if Kalle had taken it properly easy on the power stage) would really have set the alarm bells going...

Granted it's still a 5 point gap between someone "winning" the first 2 days and effectively conceding to someone who takes a full sweep on the Sunday, but I (and it seems plenty of others) feel like there should definitely be more emphasis on the overall classification in regards to point allocations.

As an aside, super stuff from Gus Greensmith, persevering in those conditions to win the WRC2 category despite him seemingly having a swim in the Thames before jetting out there...
They tried to absolve one problem and introduced a myriad of others. I think they should allocate points for stage wins personally.

Anyone watch the ITVX Highlight show of the first BRC round? It was pretty good.

Anyone watch the ITVX Highlight show of the first BRC round? It was pretty good.
Do you happen to know of a way us American viewers can watch this and ITV's other motorsport shows?

I think I would enjoy them immensely, but the options to actually view them online without being in the UK appear nonexistent.

Do you happen to know of a way us American viewers can watch this and ITV's other motorsport shows?

I think I would enjoy them immensely, but the options to actually view them online without being in the UK appear nonexistent.
VPN would be the only way I would think.

Rally Ireland will not be on the 2025 calendar after failing to get the funding. Very disappointing for the championship and for Motorsport Ireland.

Current 2025 calendar

Confirmed:
Monte Carlo
Sweden
Safari Rally Kenya
Rally Islas Canarias
Sardinia
Finland
Acropolis

Expected:
Portugal
Chile
CER
Japan

Rumoured:
Hungary
Croatia
Paraguay
Argentina
Mexico
Estonia
Latvia
Poland

Sad to hear about the funding problems for Rally Ireland. I was looking forward to it. Ireland is such a Rally loving nation, They deserve it.

Pleased to see Osian Pryce win the second round of the BRC. He has proven he is a fast driver, When he was with Melvyn Evans Motorsport in the VW's a few years ago him and Matt Edwards were the class of the field. He has always been held back by lack of funding. Hopefully with a good result in the BRC again this year. He may be able to move on to ERC, WRC3 hopefully.

Has there been any more talk about an US WRC round? I remember hearing some rumors about a candidate event in Tennessee a year or so ago with a WRC round the year after. It's all been quiet since that was talked about.

Has there been any more talk about an US WRC round? I remember hearing some rumors about a candidate event in Tennessee a year or so ago with a WRC round the year after. It's all been quiet since that was talked about.
They're shooting for 2026 now.

Back