XBOXLIVE prices increasing on November 1st 2010

CAMAROBOY69

Premium
United States
Michigan
CAMAROBOY69
Great idea during a recession. But I cant say I didnt see this coming eventually. :grumpy:

http://majornelson.com/archive/2010/08/30/price-change-for-xbox-live-gold-subscription.aspx

Price change for Xbox LIVE Gold subscription

I wanted to let you know that as of November 1, 2010 we are increasing the price of an Xbox LIVE for some members. This price increase only affects Xbox LIVE Members in Canada, Mexico, United Kingdom or the United States.
US
Current
1M Gold: $7.99
3M Gold: $19.99
12M Gold: $49.99
Starting Nov 1, 2010
1M Gold: $9.99
3M Gold: $24.99
12M Gold: $59.99
UK
Current
1M Gold: 4.99 GBP
Starting Nov 1, 2010
1M Gold: 5.99 GBP
Canada
Current
1M Gold: $8.99 CAD
Starting Nov 1, 2010
1M Gold: $9.99 CAD
Mexico
Current
12M Gold: 499 Pesos
Starting Nov 1, 2010
12M Gold: 599 Pesos

Unless listed above, there is no change in any other subscription packages.

Since launching Xbox LIVE in 2002 we have continually added more content and entertainment experiences for our members, while keeping the price the same. We’re confident that when the new pricing takes effect, an Xbox LIVE Gold membership will continue to offer the best value in the industry.

However, we do want to thank our loyal members and give you the opportunity to lock in your current price with an additional discount, so now would be a good time to renew your subscription.

Okay, this is just bull:censored:. Now I have to pay the equivalent of a goddamn new game to participate in multiplayer-anything, and all of the other quips associated with a Gold membership? :grumpy:

I honestly don't see myself being a Gold member for much longer...

Yup this is just a kick in the nuts. I dont care about any of those extra features they added. All I want is xboxlive and the ability to play with friends. They should give different packages for what people use. Not add useless junk and then charge us for it.

What's funny is the price lock page goes all Internet Explorer on you and gives you a "500 - Server Error" page when you attempt to renew your subscription.

In b4 someone starts talking up PSN.

Still, it isn't as if the "$12 for a year" deals on Amazon and whatnot are going to go away, so I suppose it isn't that bad.

In b4 someone starts talking up PSN.

Still, it isn't as if the "$12 for a year" deals on Amazon and whatnot are going to go away, so I suppose it isn't that bad.

Doesn't change the fact that you're paying the exact equivalent of a new game for things that are, everywhere else, free.

Facebook? Free. Get a PC.
Last.FM? Free. Get a PC.
Multiplayer? Free. Get a PC, a PS3, or a Wii.
ESPN? No, thank you...DirecTV carries fifteen billion of these channels and I don't even watch them there.
NetFlix? Meh.
Twitter? Meh, but it's also free. Get a PC.

You get the point....

So, what the hell am I paying $59.99 for? And companies wonder why some people tend to "reach out" using alternative resources.

Since launching Xbox LIVE in 2002 we have continually added more content and entertainment experiences for our members, while keeping the price the same. We’re confident that when the new pricing takes effect, an Xbox LIVE Gold membership will continue to offer the best value in the industry.

PSN says hello, Microsoft. This really sucks for Xbox owners, not to mention Gran Turismo 5 coming along just a day later. :yuck:

I'm going to have some thinking to do......

My Gold Membership runs out sometime this fall. To be honest, I thought for sure that the price was eventually going down, maybe even become a free service. I also own a Playstation 3, and for the game I play(Modern Warfare 2), there aren't much noticeable difference between XBL or PSN.

Since I don't really use the X360 that much anymore, I was thinking about selling it. I do like the Netflix feature on XBL, because it is far easier to use than on PSN(you have to use Netflix disc).

As you can see, I'm still thinking about it. :lol: I am definitely leaning toward selling it though. Mine's two year old arcade with refurbished harddrive, so it's not like I'm gonna get good money for it, but it's almost like Microsoft wants me to get rid of it. I'm thinking that for sure, I at the least won't renew the subscription, even with this $39.99 discounted price.
PSN says hello, Microsoft. This really sucks for Xbox owners, not to mention Gran Turismo 5 coming along just a day later. :yuck:
Big surprise on gtplanet.net, but that also is yet another reason why I started thinking about selling the Xbox. After Modern Warfare 2, I'm giving up on first person shooters(CoD Black Ops also due out in Nov). I'm jumping back on the Gran Turismo bandwagon though, and it lessens the Xbox for me even more. I will be on PS3 & PSN all the time, like I kinda am already.

Funny, what does Gran Turismo 5's release have to do with Xbox Live's price increase? :odd:

Funny, what does Gran Turismo 5's release have to do with Xbox Live's price increase? :odd:
For me, like I said:
Big surprise on gtplanet.net, but that also is yet another reason why I started thinking about selling the Xbox. After Modern Warfare 2, I'm giving up on first person shooters(CoD Black Ops also due out in Nov). I'm jumping back on the Gran Turismo bandwagon though, and it lessens the Xbox for me even more. I will be on PS3 & PSN all the time, like I kinda am already.

Wasn't referring that to you. :P

Just trying to size up the likenesses between the two (One being a game, the other being a service.) and while I can't see anything that dude posts for reasons remarkably similar to that very post...it just makes little to no sense. Now, if Sony announced they were dropping the price of PSN+ a day before the price increase for Live goes into effect, now, that would be relevant, and a kick in the gnads that would put a smile on my face.

Even though I still don't like it, the "M$" thing is now justified in my eyes.

They're both bad news for Xbox owners - at least, for anyone who exclusively owns an Xbox.

I can't see anything that dude posts for reasons remarkably similar to that very post...it just makes little to no sense.

Disliking Forza for whatever reason makes "little to no sense?" Fascinating. :odd:

Last edited:
Wasn't referring that to you. :P

Just trying to size up the likenesses between the two (One being a game, the other being a service.) and while I can't see anything that dude posts for reasons remarkably similar to that very post...it just makes little to no sense. Now, if Sony announced they were dropping the price of PSN+ a day before the price increase for Live goes into effect, now, that would be relevant, and a kick in the gnads that would put a smile on my face.

Even though I still don't like it, the "M$" thing is now justified in my eyes.
It's hard to tell without the quotations! ;)

I do think GT5 plays a role in this, for the members on this website, who happens to be on both XBL & PSN. GT5 will be a full-time game. For any Gran Turismo fan, when the GT5 comes out, much less time they'll have for Xbox 360 or XBL.

Edit: Just checked my email to find this:

Dear GE0RGE TAKEI:
Thank you for being a valued member of Xbox LIVE Gold. We hope you are enjoying the many exciting and exclusive features that are included in your membership. We wanted to let you know about an upcoming price increase for your Xbox LIVE Gold subscription and how you can lock in your current price to continue enjoying everything you've come to love about Xbox LIVE, plus all the upcoming additions including ESPN and Hulu Plus.
Over the past seven years, Xbox LIVE has evolved from an online gaming platform to an all-in-one gaming and entertainment service. As an Xbox LIVE Gold member, you can not only play blockbuster games, such as Halo: Reach with your friends online, you can also stream movies from Netflix* and music from Last.fm right to your TV. You can even connect with friends near and far on Facebook® and Twitter™. Plus, you also enjoy exclusive discounts and early access to game demos.
And we aren't even close to being done. This holiday, Xbox LIVE is adding new Gold features, including ESPN and Video Kinect, with Hulu Plus coming on Xbox LIVE in 2011.
• With ESPN on Xbox LIVE, you can stream and watch over 3,500 live and on-demand sporting events plus highlights.*
• Video Kinect allows you to chat with family and friends on the big screen, right from the comfort of your living room—no headset or controller required.*
• With Hulu Plus on Xbox LIVE you will be able to enjoy a customized Hulu Plus experience that will include Kinect navigation and Xbox LIVE Parties*
Besides launching the new features and titles, we will also be increasing the price of Gold membership on November 1, 2010. The new prices are as follows:

Old Price New Price
1-Month Gold Subscription $7.99 $9.99
3-Month Gold Subscription $19.99 $24.99
12-Month Gold Subscription $49.99 $59.99

At only $5 per month, our 12-month offer continues to be your best value. And, because you are a loyal member, we want to give you the opportunity to lock in your current price with an additional discount. Click here or log on to Xbox LIVE from your console to review and take advantage of these limited time offers.

We hope that you will continue to enjoy all the great gaming, entertainment, and social experiences that Xbox LIVE has to bring today—and in the future.
Sincerely,
The Xbox LIVE Team

Last edited:
Disliking Forza for whatever reason makes "little to no sense?" Fascinating. :odd:

Neither Forza or GT have a damn thing to do with a thread on a Xbox Live price increases.

As such I fail to see what they add to the discussion, other than starting an off-topic argument.

Its borderline spam a best, and likely to start an argument at worse. No matter which its not needed and if you spam a thread like this again you will be seeing a formal warning in your in-box.

This has the potential to be a 'heated' enough discussion as it stands, given that we can do without the off-topic fan-boy rhetoric.

Scaff

Major Nelson
an Xbox LIVE Gold membership will continue to offer the best value in the industry.
Not sure how increasing the price is adding value but....

Its better to look at the bright side. Its simply imposing a $10 charge for non gaming capabilities. I read on another forum that Hulu Plus with kinect control was mentioned for 2011. For years now $49.99 was basically for online play. They added so much in the last 4 years I guess they see their profits shrinking.

The only reason they wont do a 3 tier pricing is they know Tier 3(Netflix, FB, ESPN, LastFM, etc. will be the least popular and no one wants to pay $10 extra to use pay services like Hulu and Netflix. So they dont even get that option.

The early renewal is pure genius, 2 months of million of people renewing for $40 is going to bring it boat loads of cash in a short time. Those who upgrade now wont have to worry about the new price for at most 1 year.

Its simply imposing a $10 charge for non gaming capabilities. I read on another forum that Hulu Plus with kinect control was mentioned for 2011. For years now $49.99 was basically for online play. They added so much in the last 4 years I guess they see their profits shrinking.
This perspective is kind of moot if Hulu Plus ends up requiring another fee on top of the XBL fee to use like Netflix does.

You need a direct Hulu Plus account. One of the main goals and design concepts of Hulu Plus was the ability to take your TV viewing anywhere. PC, Iphone, PS3, Xbox360 and Internet Boxes and TV's. One paid account for all devices and platforms. You dont need to pay if you have a Plus account on a different device.

Eh I probably won't end up renewing, but then again I probably wasn't anyway. All I use XBL for now anyway is Netflix and the iPhone just got that so with an internet connection and some AV cables I have essentially the same thing in my pocket.

My friends have either stopped playing video games or they've sold off their systems so I have no one to play with anyway. Random encounters on any system suck so I probably should forfeit my account anyway. Back when my buddies were into gaming (or could game) XBL was better then the PSN in my opinion. There were less hiccups involved with it and XBL always was faster for me. No, I don't want a bunch of graphs showing me how the PSN is somehow faster. I am well aware a lot of tests showed that, but for me XBL was faster then the PSN.

One thing I am curious about though is if I ditch my gold account can I still buy DLC for games? That's about the only gaming thing I do with Live now.

You need a direct Hulu Plus account.
You missed my point.

It doesn't matter that you can use the same Hulu Plus account with all of your devices, because:
PC, Iphone, PS3, Xbox360 and Internet Boxes and TV's.
Only one of those systems requires a fee to even access your paid subscription to Hulu Plus. Same as with Netflix. Therefore, the "$10 for non-gaming capabilities" as a positive viewpoint is false, because that extra $10 has nothing to do with that functionality. The only way you can view it as a "non gaming expense increase" is if you look at it like Microsoft charging you $10 extra to access content you already paid for separately.

Joey, most likely you can get the DLC though you will probably have a waiting time before the gold members.

Joey, most likely you can get the DLC though you will probably have a waiting time before the gold members.

That's fine, I think it takes me like 2-3 weeks to actually download any thing anyway so I should be good to go.

Tornado=I did not miss your point. Charging for capabilities doesn't mean it should be automatically free. Its just a capability, there are was also some sarcasm there. Its just me creating an unrealistic perspective of the matter, I dont even have XBL gold and never will. It sucks any way you look at. You only questioned it being positive but you already knew Hulu Plus is a paid service.

Shocked and outraged

Though I will still probably renew, since the 360 is the main system I use and I prefer the controller.

Don't have a 360, but i'm surprised they went up. Thought they would have gone down sooner or later.. guess not. :grumpy:

When you ISP whould do that you would change it.
Never considered this even an option.
I pay may isp for internet access. And in the 60€ for a game always include(d) the online portion.
This will chase off new customers when on the PS it's free

I like MS in a lot of things but their entertainment/gaming branch should be burnt down and sent to Afganistan

This will chase off new customers when on the PS it's free

Doubt it, online fee's are the last thing people look at(if at all) while looking to buy a console.

I have a hard time why people are shocked, it's Microsoft, did you really expect them to not be greedy? I'm shocked this didn't happen sooner to be honest.

I don't see this affecting sales, perhaps a few thousand will drop Gold, but that will easily made up for by the ones that re-up and as I've mentioned online fee's don't seem to play much of a role in system sales itself or the 360 wouldn't sell as well as it has.

The way I see it is a stealth charge to pad out the fact that the console is so cheap to buy. They know very few people would not buy Live Gold so in a way your paying in installments for the console. Paying for online is daylight robbery in my eyes and even if I bought an Xbox I would very unlikely pay for online! £6 a month, you have to be off your trolley, I pay less for my damn internet! :lol:

As for improvements, features etc etc... that to me is all bull! Xbox Live is nothing special and online is free on every other system including the PC. In such an online world charging for it is insane. All the stuff about it being more stable and useable may have been true in the beginning but now PSN is just as good and its free, Sony would not DARE charge for it at least in this console generation because it was a promise made to all the people who bought it... like Other OS... oh wait!

Give me the good old days where there wasnt charges other than the game, firmware updates to mess stuff up or add crap I dont want, hardware which was good quality and no damn changes to things I already own because its not like you can back out of these price increases!

Robin.

I wouldn't consider the console at all cheap to buy. The Elite will set you back the same amount as the 120GB PS3 Slim here in the UK, and both a Blu-Ray disk drive and wireless are conspicuously absent. With this in mind, I just don't see the logic in the notion that the Gold fees are something of a replacement for money lost in the sale of the console. If you ask me, it's nothing but a feeble excuse by Microsoft for ripping the public off yet again. :lol:

Last edited:
Can you not pick up basic models for about £120 though? So people would be like "BARGAIN!" then realise they need to by a bigger hard drive and buy moar internets.

Back