Xbox's Partnership With Samsung Could Shake Up The Gaming Landscape

Other companies have attempted the clip-on phone controller thing in the last couple years, but they flopped hard because - surprise - no one wanted to carry around these bulky and expensive pieces of plastic.

This feels like little more than a boardroom edict to try and grab part of an emerging market but do it as cheaply as possible, and at the same time missing the point of what made that market popular to begin with.

I dont think there is anything wrong in Soney sticking to traditional games consoles, ultimately if anyone wants to play games, it's the first thing they think of, a games console.
Sony is actively talking to Microsoft and are planning to grow PS Now significantly in the future. Sources are the blog post made by MS iirc and Sony talking about their next gen plans.

Links: https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/21/18633791/sony-playstation-5-demo-load-times-cloud-gaming

(Look at the charts/presentation)

Sony is actively talking to Microsoft and are planning to grow PS Now significantly in the future. Sources are the blog post made by MS iirc and Sony talking about their PS5 era plans.

Interesting, I'm wondering if perhaps Sony are finally getting more comfortable with cross-platform play, this is a future I'm hoping for.

Other companies have attempted the clip-on phone controller thing in the last couple years, but they flopped hard because - surprise - no one wanted to carry around these bulky and expensive pieces of plastic.

This is far more than just a clip-on controller. Of course, had you read the article, you would know that...

But it still is a clip-on controller nonetheless.

A clip-on controller that lets you play console games anywhere, something other controllers on the market don't do.

And a rather chunky one at that.

It really doesn't look all that chunky. Granted it's not something you'll be having in your pocket at all times, but than again neither is the Switch and that seems pretty popular despite it's size.

This is far more than just a clip-on controller. Of course, had you read the article, you would know that...
I am aware of the cloud service. My point was that the need for a bulky peripheral to use it, when mobile gaming is traditionally defined by the lack of requiring such things, is going to turn people away from it as it's done before.

Never mind that it requires access to a network protocol that will likely take years to be rolled out beyond the largest of cities for every reason from telco cost cutting to fears about Chinese spying.

Granted it's not something you'll be having in your pocket at all times, but than again neither is the Switch and that seems pretty popular despite it's size.
The Switch is popular because of the games, the portability is a good feature but not the main reason for buying one. Most everyone I know who has one hates that it practically requires buying a case to take it outside the house, so they just don't bother to.

A clip-on controller that lets you play console games anywhere, something other controllers on the market don't do.

It really doesn't look all that chunky. Granted it's not something you'll be having in your pocket at all times, but than again neither is the Switch and that seems pretty popular despite it's size.

You have a good point, I hope there isn't anything more than that controller. Otherwise there could be a Stadia-esque problem.

I am aware of the cloud service. My point was that the need for a bulky peripheral to use it, when mobile gaming is traditionally defined by the lack of requiring such things, is going to turn people away from it as it's done before.

Never mind that it requires access to a network protocol that will likely take years to be rolled out beyond the largest of cities for every reason from telco cost cutting to fears about Chinese spying.

The Switch is popular because of the games, the portability is a good feature but not the main reason for buying one. Most everyone I know who has one hates that it practically requires buying a case to take it outside the house, so they just don't bother to.

To think that not only will you be paying for xBox services to play games, but also need to spend a lot of money on data simeltaniously if you take it outside without a WiFi connection, additionally I assume the whole gameplay experience is at it's fullest on a 5G connection, which at the moment there aren't exactly that many places that have it yet, so I wouldn't be surprised to see gameplay response lacking outside of 5G, which is basically everywhere. In it's early months/years.

I wouldn't be surprised if more people would use this at home than outside ultimately, like most hand-held out-doorsy gaming.

Last edited:
I don’t see the fuss about this. They just sold their xCloud ‘franchise’ to be exclusive on Samsung smartphones. Their ‘5G technology’ is just marketing. We can already experience 5G like internet, it’s called a decent WiFi setup. The theoretical speeds of 5G are far away from the actual speeds, and latency will still be similar to WiFi 5 (ac). Yes, you will be able to stream games on to go, but the overall gaming quality won’t change in comparison to current services.

The whole collaboration is just based on selling more Samsung phones, not on a better gaming experience. We already know game streaming kind of sucks (especially racing games) on good WiFi, and even on a wired setup, I really don’t see that changing with 5G. The key to make streaming services better is faster ánd local datacenters.

MS haven't sold anything to anybody...

As somebody whose been a Samsung user for years now, this news is HUGE if you love xbox games but don't have the consoles. It's good that MS is branching out to more devices for the gaming community via xCloud, and it isn't to "sell" more devices like some like to think.

Regardless, this is great news for Samsung users like myself, like it or not. However I'll still play on consoles though, but I can see MS really wants to make this year the BEST they can imagine. I applaud them for that.

I have exactly 2 questions for this:

1. Can you play your already owned games in the MS Account (so no rebuying the games)?
2. Can you use the game save that is saved in the cloud from main XBox One?

If those two is answered with "yes", then it's by default already superior to Stadia, even without targeting the "no console crowd".

Back