Xbss Xbsx can emulate like a pro

• Thread starter Novalee
  • 9 comments

Novalee

(Banned)
Canada
Earth
This is not a selling point for me but i would guess for some it might be important .

https://mspoweruser.com/xbox-series-s-fantastic-emulation-box-dev-mode/

"With everything set up properly, Xbox Series S and X players can install the amazing emulation suite Retroarch and play games from most consoles you could ever care about: GameCube, Dreamcast (hell, yeah!), PSP, Nintendo Wii, PS1 and more."

Its just installing homebrew software into the developer mode of the console. Nothing new or special here for me. Heck this was possible on the OG Xbox.

Not to throw too much of a wet blanket on this because it is nice to have a really small all-in-one solution that also has its own games, but even a Series S is dramatically more balls required to play any of the things outlined in that link. I'm not as knowledgeable about PS2 stuff, but if you are accessing GTP with something made in the past four years that's better than a garbage $300 Wal-Mart laptop you can already do this.

Again, it is nice but not something I think should glaringly move the needle for most people.

Last edited:
@Tornado -- Sixth-gen stuff still requires considerable muscle last I checked, but you're certainly right about fifth-gen and older. A humble homebrew'd Wii can handle up to the N64 -- PS1 emulation didn't fare as well the last time I tried it, but that was surely down to the status of the emulator.

I'm just wondering how long this will remain possible before it gets squashed.

Ah but the difference here is many of the 'solutions' on other machines and consoles aren't exactly legal. Using a legit paid for dev mode is quite different to hacking a Wii.

Last edited:
That's quite a stretch. The illegal thing with hacking a Wii (or DS, or PSP, or PS2. or PS3) was using it to pirate Wii (or DS or PSP or PS2 or PS3) games; and pretty much zero of the people who perked up big at the idea of emulating games on a SeS wouldn't be doing it illegally even if they paid Microsoft for the pleasure. I also have no doubt at least as many people bought consoles that were easy to hack and run homebrew specifically for that reason as there will be people who will pay Microsoft for the ability to do the same thing.

People who actually are doing the legal backup route would be doing it on a platform that actually allows them to make the backups in the first place (a PC first and foremost; but admittedly with a Wii or PSP or DS it was so easy to dump your own games that I'm sure a lot of people did it that way); and a walled garden game console with no disc drive ain't that.

Last edited:
Ah but the difference here is many of the 'solutions' on other machines and consoles aren't exactly legal. Using a legit paid for dev mode is quite different to hacking a Wii.

A legit, paid for dev mode doesn't necessarily make it right or legal if they didn't intend for this to be the use case.

It isn't illegal to install homebrew. That's only a violation of a console manufacturer's terms -- and using this to emulate commercial ROMs is not only 100% just as illegal as on anything else, but most likely a violation of Microsoft's terms.

Last edited:
Back