XCM F-1 Converter V.2!!!

• Thread starter 20B_4ME
  • 41 comments
TWNTYB_4ME
F Caris
Hey guys, I do a bit of sim racing on my PC (iRacing and Auto Club Revolution), GT5 on the PS3 and Forza 4 on the Xbox360. I've been using a Fanatec GT3 RS v2 on the PC and PS3 so far and I love it (I sold my G25 to get it and it's a massive step up!). I tryed and tryed to find a Fanatec Xbox360 compatible wheel locally but they were way out of my budget. I've been playing Forza 4 (and 3 before that) with the stock wireless controler and I've been putting off getting a XCM F-1 Converter for a while until now. So I was about to buy one on Ebay but decided to do a bit more research on the XCM to see if there had been any improvements on them over the last 6 months and guess what I saw on the XCM official website: there is a new version coming out! The XCM F-1 Converter V.2.

F1-v.2b.jpg

According to their website, the F-1 converter v.2 has some new features like Shifter, Sensitivity and Force feedback level for G25/G27/GT racing steering wheel to be used on Xbox 360 console. Boy am I glad I didn't buy the original one! I assure you I'll be one of the first to buy this new one. If anyone buys one could you please post here about your experiences with it?

F1-v.2.jpg

Here's a quote from the site "F.1 converter v.2 ,is now released, the F .1 converter v.2 has been added some new features like Shifter,Sensitivity and Force feedback level for G25/G27/GT racing steering wheel to be used on xbox 360 console,

order it from : www.play-asia.com www.goldenshop.com.hkwww.divineo.cn"

And for those that don't know, their official website is here: http://xcm.cc/

Wow, I'm also excited to hear about how it works with the Logitech G27. I was in the middle of putting mine up for sale because it didn't work on xbox, but I may hold off now.

I'm waiting for someone to review this new version on Youtube so I can see if it's worth buying or not. They said they've added force feedback support with version 1.2 (instead of just rumble on version 1.0), so it should be an improvement!

I don't know how they'll pull this off but I'm interested in reading the reviews myself for curiosity sake. Besides I can have my G27 on standby incase the Fanatec goes south on me.

This could be huge news for Forza 4, I know a lot of GT5 fans won't come over to Forza because of the lack of logitec support. If they get the wheel working properly then we could get some new members playing Forza very soon. The only problem I see is that the default setting for forza is 270 degrees while G27/G25 are 900. I suppose Turn 10 could patch this.

This could be huge news for Forza 4, I know a lot of GT5 fans won't come over to Forza because of the lack of logitec support. If they get the wheel working properly then we could get some new members playing Forza very soon. The only problem I see is that the default setting for forza is 270 degrees while G27/G25 are 900. I suppose Turn 10 could patch this.

Turn 10 will not patch this. Perhaps XCM could make the wheels that use this stop them selves at 270º sort of like what the Fanatec wheels does in 270º mode. There are Sensitivity buttons on it, maybe that is what will happen? OR they might be able to scale the linearity for the wheels that will use this.

According to simracingtv's video review the Fanatec wheel worked fine with the XCM F-1 1.0, except for no force feedback and the G25 seemed to have a tiny little bit of force feedback, but I reckon that was simply the rumble effect. Version 1.2 is promissing proper force feedback so I'm really considering buying it and trying it with my Fanatec GT3 RS v2!

It will definatly work, question is, how well. Version 1.0 worked well except the lack of proper force feedback. Version 1.2 promisses to fix this. Here are a couple of Youtube videos I found:

Original in-depth review of version 1.0 by InsideSimRacimg.tv: http://youtu.be/srJeN-pI3LM

Official demo of Logitec G25/G27 shifter working with ver.2: http://youtu.be/MqWcADLBGeI

*edit* Yes it has been released. You can buy it from www.play-asia.com www.goldenshop.com.hk www.divineo.cn or find it on Ebay (better idea due to Ebay and Paypal buyer protection), item number 261039027892 or 261039024724.

Please remember you also must have an original WIRED Xbox 360 controller, it will not work with non genuine or wireless controller with charging cable!

Well from what I understand v.2 brings more than just improved firmware, the circuitry is different and there's even more buttons on the top of it.

I brought the 1st one and what a waste of money. I instead brought a fanetec crs and used my G25 pedals via the correct convertor. The crs is far better than my G25.

You should upgrade the pedals to CSP or CSR-Elite pedals. I can't tell you how junk my Logitech pedals feel compared to my CSR-E pedals.

I have a feeling that the latest XBL update was an attempt to thwart the new XCM converter.

That would definitely suck for those that keep buying this thing. But I could see that being the case as Microsoft wants to keep selling their overpriced, average wheel.

I'd really like to see a proper video review with a Logitech wheel. The reviews that are up now just scream 'ripoff', because they aren't showing anything of value.

Further (and this will border on ignorant), why can't they attach a (360 compatible) wheel to the converter, save the configuration, and base the new config off of that?

Because any 360 compatible wheel is wireless. Logitech them selves admitted that the DriveFX wheel was based on a controller, with some FFB added. For any MFG to make a true FFB wheel on the 360, they need to either get a licence and the proprietary wireless tech from Microsoft. The MFG could always go the Datel route and build non licensed wireless wheels, but they risk Microsoft disallowing the wheel to work on the 360 through console updates. As for if the MFG risks getting sued, I believe the Datel vs. Microsoft case is still on going, so I am not sure if Microsoft will be able to laud lawsuits against a non-licensed peripheral. But then again... Microsoft has deep pockets, so I imagine when it comes to litigation, the bigger wallet wins.

You know it sucks that greed rules every facet of our lives especially in the fun things. Like many of you I have a perfectly good DFGT wheel collecting dust because of non-compatibility...it's not like ol' Billy Gates has a cash flow problem. They have to scratch out a nickel at every turn, I should have been a lawyer...nah, I would look at myself in the mirror once in a while. Where there is a will, there is always a work-a-round...

Someone really needs to review this updated version. I'm dying to find out if my Logitech can work at close to its full potential while playing Forza.

You know it sucks that greed rules every facet of our lives especially in the fun things. Like many of you I have a perfectly good DFGT wheel collecting dust because of non-compatibility...it's not like ol' Billy Gates has a cash flow problem. They have to scratch out a nickel at every turn, I should have been a lawyer...nah, I would look at myself in the mirror once in a while. Where there is a will, there is always a work-a-round...

While you're throwing darts at Microsoft (a company I can't stand by the way) don't forget to save some arrows at Logitech. It's not like they're exactly hard up for a buck either. If a Fanatec could find the $$$ to get a license for the tech no reason why Logitech couldn't either.

Cheers Dopplegagger for the info......

Someone really needs to review this updated version. I'm dying to find out if my Logitech can work at close to its full potential while playing Forza.

I agree. I've been putting off the purchase of a 360 and Forza 4/Horizon because of my G27 and DFGT not being compatible.

Someone really needs to review this updated version.

You asked for it - you get it!:dopey:

I received my XCM F1 V2 today and had a little time to test it with my G27.

Before I start my review some important basic information:
Since the XCM device only fakes a standard xbox controller, any connected wheel will always be treated as a controller.
That means everything your gamepad can do also your wheel can do (at least in theory). Not more, not less.

What can the standard controller supply in Forza 4?
-soft vibration when you're loosing grip
-rumble when you drive over curbs
-jerks when driving over unevenness surface
-gear shift jerks
-short but rather hard impulse when hitting a barrier or other cars

What's the main difference to a force feedback wheel?
Instead of rather onesided vibrations for loosing grip you get more differentiated and subtle information in the form of distinctive forces on the wheel for different driving situations.

But can the XCM translate different driving situations into different force feedback reactions?
Well, unfortunately it can't. How should it?
Since Forza doesn't realize that there is a wheel connected, it doesn't provide the XCM device with any information concerning force feedback.
All it "says" to the assumed controller is: Car is beginning to skid - start vibrations...

...and therefore there is no real force feedback with the XCM and a wheel.

You have a wheel centering force, you have some movement when you ride over unevenness, you have gear shift jerks and you have a clear impulse when hitting a barrier or other cars. That's it (well, there is some kind of variation of forces during driving through a curve - but I was not able to correlate that to the temporary driving condition of my car. I found that rather annoying than helpful).

In the end all of the miscellaneous force feedback effects the users of a Forza compatible wheel enjoy you won't have.

So is the XCM device rubbish?

No. You will gain a remarkable advantage over the controller since the XCM converter delivers a clean and time lag free steering sensation which boosts the steering precision perceptible. Since Forza 4 is a well done simulation, the optical and acoustical information can compensate the missing force feedback to a great amount.

So what's the recommendation?
If you're a hardcore force feedback junkie, don't waste your money - you will be disappointed under guarantee.
If you're the kind of sim-driver/-racer who sometimes intentional reduces force feedback to gain driving precision without been distracted by force feedback effects (yes, there are some sim-racers doing that;)), than the XCM device could be interesting for you.

Some additonal comments:
The steering option "simulation" in conjuction with a controller doesn't fit very well for a wheel which is assumed as a controller by Forza. The steering option "normal" works much better.
There is no negative deadzone issue (for example oscillations) so far with the XCM V2 and my G27. Also the threshold values for the controller deadzones seem to apply to the wheel and pedals as well and can be adjusted for personal taste.

I will do some additional testing and when I find out some more interesting things I will complement my review.

Gran Tourist, first of all thanks for your review, I consider myself belonging to the second category of drivers you mentioned. Can you tell us something about the h shifter implementation? Can you use it in conjunction with the clutch? Thanks again.

Thanks GranTourist. Nice review.

I want to be able to feel the game as it should with a wheel. No offense to those that are in the second category, but if Forza is as good as GT5, then I'd rather have all the effects available.

It would be great if they could speak to T10 and add support for it in a future update. It would be beneficial to them as many Logitech users would have a reason to come over.

@all: I’m glad I could give some information of value – you're all welcome.

I will try to answer your further questions.

Clutch-Support:
The clutch-pedal is treated as a second break-pedal. You could redefine your clutch-pedal as a clutch in principle, but you would end up with 2 clutch-pedals and no break-pedal…not a very satisfying solution. So forget about clutch-pedal support. But clutch can at least be used on a wheel button – which of course means you can only have a binary clutch (engaged/not engaged).

H-shift support:
I was not able to get the H-shifter working properly with Forza 4.
The XCM converter does detect all the shifting with the H-shifter correctly though (including the reverse gear) because every shift-position is confirmed by the correct gear number on the XCM-display. But Forza doesn’t react to the shifting. That's a real disappointment.:(

Shifting with paddles:
With controller setup 2 in Forza there is support of the shift paddles (the paddles are defined as buttons "X" and "A"). Up- and down-shift have to be swapped (in the option menu) to have left down and right up.

Setting of tolerances:
The Forza settings for the tolerances of steering and the pedals work on the G27, although they are meant for the controller. I had no dead zone issues so far.

Setting of FF and sensitivity on the XCM converter:
There's a setup-range of 1 to 5 for both FF and sensitivity. Each step results in noticeable changes, so those new adjustments of the V2-converter are not a fake.
I'm using it with FF turned down to 1 on the XCM - I feel most comfortable with that.
Funnily the overall immersion for Forza 4 is still so good, that sometimes there is a placebo FF effect when playing. Obviously my brain is so satisfied with the quality of the Forza-simulation, that it creates a kind of phantom FF feeling. This is probably a result of my continuously misuse of substances (=sim-racers)!:lol:

My general conclusion:
I had very little expectations, but it seems that there were made several improvements over the first version.
The XCM V2 is not really a bargain, but it works.
Still it's a compromise in between the controller and a fully supported FF-wheel.
Don't buy it if you don't want to make any compromises.

Back