Xenn's GT4 Research Topic

• Thread starter Xenn
  • 505 comments
These are my images... At least say that you taken from TCRF or GT Wiki
I mean, the user (Dane Bishop on GT Wiki or always Sal_89 on TCRF) @SK star 73
If you think I did some malice or anything like that, all I did was just to show the pictures here in this thread. I didn't know it was your images, I'm really sorry.

Last edited:
If you think I did some malice or anything like that, all I did was just to show the pictures here in this thread. I didn't know it was your images, I'm really sorry.
Is ok, the next time just ask 😉
I'm just "angry" because I didn't posted these by myself
Is correct to "research" who made the original work, and in Wikis in general is very easy (click on the image, and you should read who uploaded it)

Yes, pretty funny haha
And is also a special car, one of these that can't do races!

Yes, pretty funny haha
And is also a special car, one of these that can't do races!
They can do races but they're a bit weird. Only two cars on track, and I think they need to be identical cars but I'm not certain - I have a faint memory of driving the Caterham or the Nike One against a Zonda.

Many "Special" cars can be used in Arcade Mode races, but not in GT Mode ones, where just free run, photo drive and photo travel (IIRC), and yes, only one opponent is present while in Arcade

So lately I've been into GT4 again and I'm wondering on what basis the colour of a prize car for any given event is determined. For example, I've been doing the New York 200 Miles Event six times now (B-spec ofc) because I want that Charger in a colour I like, but I keep getting it in different colours I don't like :lol: (Dark Gold Metallic, Medium Green, Tan Metallic, Gold Metellic and Gold twice).

When you enter the colour selection in the dealership, all colours except for the Medium Green are Gold tones and close to another. So maybe there's some kind of connection there? Or are prize car's colours completely random and it was pure coincidence that I got 5 cars with just slightly different Gold tones (and a green one)?

It's always been completely random except when they purposefully/mistakenly force a specific color to be won. That has happened in GT3 (pink Vitz/Yaris anyone? It has 2 more colors people never saw without hacking them in because of that, and there's the RX8 Concept in GT4 i believe)

It's always been completely random except when they purposefully/mistakenly force a specific color to be won. That has happened in GT3 (pink Vitz/Yaris anyone? It has 2 more colors people never saw without hacking them in because of that, and there's the RX8 Concept in GT4 i believe)
Well, I guess I'll keep grinding then. Thank you.

...pink Vitz/Yaris anyone? It has 2 more colors people never saw without hacking them in...

I was under the impression that the pink-only Vitz prize car was only for the FF Challenge, and the other places it can be won (like the Vitz Cup) it comes in any one of the four bonus colours. The pink one is only well-known because it's one of the earliest prizes in the game.

I honestly don't know, because i never redid those excruciating races lol. Maybe it's only locked on the first one hah

So lately I've been into GT4 again and I'm wondering on what basis the colour of a prize car for any given event is determined. For example, I've been doing the New York 200 Miles Event six times now (B-spec ofc) because I want that Charger in a colour I like, but I keep getting it in different colours I don't like :lol: (Dark Gold Metallic, Medium Green, Tan Metallic, Gold Metellic and Gold twice).

When you enter the colour selection in the dealership, all colours except for the Medium Green are Gold tones and close to another. So maybe there's some kind of connection there? Or are prize car's colours completely random and it was pure coincidence that I got 5 cars with just slightly different Gold tones (and a green one)?
you can force a variant to be unlocked. in the respective file change the value to the variation number (for example yellow rx8 is variation #1. change it to 2 and you always unlock another color or change it to - and its random)

you can force a variant to be unlocked. in the respective file change the value to the variation number (for example yellow rx8 is variation #1. change it to 2 and you always unlock another color or change it to - and its random)
Thanks for the tip, but I'm in no way into modding or anything. I'm just playing it on PS2 from time to time.

GT4 First Preview already had a list of car manufacturers in Arcade Mode. It looks like that, it have some errors though. Maybe someone here wants to check that out?

GT4 First Preview already had a list of car manufacturers in Arcade Mode. It looks like that, it have some errors though. Maybe someone here wants to check that out?

No cut manufacturers. I didn't check to see if there were any that weren't in the final game other than the obvious ones, as Holland, Australia and Spain are all missing, therefore meaning at the very least, Ford AU, Holden, FPV, Gillet and SEAT are missing.

No cut manufacturers. I didn't check to see if there were any that weren't in the final game other than the obvious ones, as Holland, Australia and Spain are all missing, therefore meaning at the very least, Ford AU, Holden, FPV, Gillet and SEAT are missing.

I also found this video, it was made 4 years ago by the same guy. It shows a lot of other stuff in Arcade Mode. Maybe there was a video which shows beta GT Mode (something else than "beta images" that could be fake), but I need to find it.

Also, in BMW Demo and First Preview there are a lot of leftovers in game code. There are test versions of few tracks (some probably were made only for testing), one license test for Chamonix, however I couldn't find La Sarthe, possibly Tahiti Maze wasn't re-made yet. But sadly, those demos are pretty neat, tracks other than you can see during race and idle replays, are a void or the game crashes while loading them

Does anyone know what units does the game game use internally for the torque values?
1.png
image.png

(Edited, I think I found them for anyone interested)

Last edited:
Photos taken by Polyphony Digital in February 2003. If someone still wonders, why one of the tracks was named 'nursnow' in game files, I have some suspicions.

Attachments

• Nurbrugring__24.JPG
    Nurbrugring__24.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Nurbrugring_30.JPG
    Nurbrugring_30.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Nurbrugring_31.JPG
    Nurbrugring_31.JPG
    188.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Nurbrugring_32.JPG
    Nurbrugring_32.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 32
I've always thought that its shape/difficulty remembered the Ring, so maybe fornthis reason PD called "nursnow" the Chamonix course

I've always thought that its shape/difficulty remembered the Ring, so maybe fornthis reason PD called "nursnow" the Chamonix course
It's probably the same situation when in GT3 Store Demo 2 there was still Smokey Mountain South (but in different shape) and after that in Gran Turismo 3 it becomes Swiss Alps. It's funny though file name stayed in GT4 and GTPSP. And license versions still had third checkpoint on "old South road", outside the track

When it comes to a research topic, I found this video focused on how Gran Turismo 4 was made. Not only we can see the beta and E3 version from 2003, but also a lot of interesting stuff such as Tsukuba with "Lupo Cup" logo, test drive in old chevrolet Camaro through Citta di Aria (back when GT3 HUD was still present) and also beta versions of tracks like New York, Grand Canyon, Fuji Speedway etc.

In fact, GT Concept Tokyo-Seoul had hidden pre-alpha versions of Suzuka, Tsukuba, Motegi and some photo locations. It turns out, by using .VOL extractor on both versions of Nissan Micra demo made in 2002, I found a list of planned tracks which back then had some unseen test tracks and also: Fisco, assisi, grandcanyon, ss_gion, ss_forum etc. (tracks that were seen in this video, but also in E3 beta and promo materials from 2003). First Micra demo was made in October 2002 and it have this file, sadly track list is the same as Tokyo-Geneva.

It would be great to find those VW Lupo Training Versions or Subaru demo made on GTC engine, maybe those also have some hidden stuff

Latest Posts

Back