XFL: Take Two

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 54 comments
I was able to catch some of the St. Louis/Dallas game, and it really impressed me how they were able to get cameras and microphones into places they did without disrupting the game. The overall presentation was pretty darn good too, but then again I guess if anyone understands the value of good presentation it'd be Vince McMahon. I feel like that's going to go a long way towards helping the XFL last beyond the initial novelty period.

Now that we know about the XFL, let us welcome a new week of the new XFL. Enjoy this week's games!

XFL- for the love of football! Results from this past weekend:

* NY Guardians at DC Defenders (27-0; District of Columbia)
* TB Vipers at SEA Dragons (17-9; Seattle)
* DAL Renegades at LA Wildcats (25-18; Dallas)
* STL Battlehawks at HOU Roughnecks (28-24; Houston)

I'll tell you what, folks... this XFL is actually pretty fun! It seems like the praise for the new XFL is better than the old XFL and even more than the AAF (Association of American Football). The new XFL may last longer than the old XFL and MUCH longer than the AAF. Not sure if a lot of you know this, but as much as I like the NFL, I actually enjoy college football more. So the XFL kind of has the fun of college football while still having a good pro atmosphere. If XFL were Steam, the XFL would get Mostly Positive or Overwhelmingly Positive reviews based on what people have said about it. Something's working for sure for the new XFL.

How do you like XFL 2.0 so far after two weekends of play?

For the love of football! This week's XFL matches for Week 3:

* HOU Roughnecks at TB Vipers
* DAL Renegades at SEA Dragons
* NY Guardians at STL Battlehawks
* DC Defenders at LA Wildcats

Enjoy this week's games!

Here is how the XFL is shaping up so far with this Standings Update heading into the Week 4 games:

XFL EAST: DC and St. Louis (2-1 each), NY (1-2), TB (0-3)
XFL WEST: Houston (3-0), DAL (2-1), LA and SEA (1-2 each)

So the only unbeaten team so far is my Houston Roughnecks. They also have the longest win streak. The Roughnecks will be at the Dallas Renegades on Sunday. The Tampa Bay Vipers, however, have the worst record so far and the longest losing streak. Tampa Bay will host the DC Defenders on Sunday.

That's how the XFL is right now. The other games this week will both be played on Sunday: LA Wildcats at NY Guardians, and SEA Dragons at STL Battlehawks.

Well, we call it the Texas Throwdown- the rivalry between the Houston Roughnecks and the Dallas Renegades. Today, it was the Houston Roughnecks who downed the Dallas Renegades 27-20 at the former Major League Baseball ballpark of the Texas Rangers. So we're now 4-0 on the 2020 season of XFL football. I got to tell you- I am not sure if I'm more impressed with our QB (P.J. Walker) or the Roughnecks' defense. We got plenty of takeaways and turnovers on the Renegades.

I have to say I really like this new XFL. While the previous XFL had more character, a lot of the XFL games of today have been fun to watch. It has that sort of mix of college fun and pro offense. Most of you may know I follow and love college football more than I do pro football. If anything, I may say that those who may enjoy more defensive football may not like the XFL too much. I think the new XFL is going to last much longer than the AAF or even the old XFL. But... that's just me.

Elsewhere...

* It was 17-14 in East Rutherford, New Jersey as the Los Angeles Wildcats fell at the New York Guardians.

* The St. Louis Battlehawks improved to 3-1 on the season with a 23-16 win against the Seattle Dragons.

Congratulations to the eventual winner of the DC Defenders at the Tampa Bay Vipers. It is currently the Vipers leading 7-0 with 2:30 left in the 1st Period. TB is 0-3, and DC is 2-1. For the love of football!

The Houston Roughnecks won 32-23, but there was a LOT of controversy. The controversy game when it 4th Down and Houston was downed with two full seconds left. Time then ran out when the Seattle Dragons potentially had a chance to score a touchdown and maybe force Overtime with a three-point conversion. That didn't happen, though. So we're still undefeated at 5-0 despite late controversy.

Congratulations to the other winners of this week's games.

The XFL admitted mistakes were made in the conclusion of the SEA at HOU game this past Saturday. We're still undefeated.

Halfway home! Current standings:

XFL EAST: District of Columbia, St. Louis, and New York (3-2 each), TB (1-4)
XFL WEST: Houston (5-0), DAL and LA (2-3 each), SEA (1-4)

The top two in the East and West make the Playoffs.

Have any thoughts on the XFL now that we've reached halfway?

As you may have found out, the 2020 XFL Season has been canceled. The unofficial champs would be the 5-0 Houston Roughnecks. I think the XFL has been a pleasant surprise with how much people actually liked and supported the various teams. The old XFL from 2001 or so is more memorable, but the new XFL was plenty cool to follow. Great shame the season was canceled thanks to COVID-19/Coronavirus.

I really hope they come back, it was fun and not stupid to watch - Just like the NHL has the AHL, the NFL needs to have something similar

I think the XFL will come back for a new season. Pending some extra circumstances, I see the XFL ready for a new season in 2021; hopefully not tainted by a pandemic or anything.

The XFL has *officially* cancelled its 2020 season thanks to the COVID-19/Coronavirus pandemic. I can see the XFL returning for 2021, so don't think this is going to go the way of the AAF. XFL players can sign with NFL teams if they so choose. The signing begins this Monday.

(Tree'd, I know... but...)

The XFL may likely go defunct again. There have been reported layoffs among XFL officials and staff thanks in part to the COVID-10/Coronavirus. So last year, the Alliance of American Football (AAF) went defunct as a Spring football league. Now, it's the XFL about to go defunct as a Spring football league. I'm going to say the XFL was at least a good distraction that had plenty of promise in its short time. I was even proud of how my Houston Roughnecks were doing before all pandemic Hell broke loose. At least the XFL isn't folding this time because of poor ratings or a lack of interest. This is just one of those outside-of-your-control deals that folded the XFL.

If the XFL officially folds, then we'll have to wonder if there will be a third attempt to make this league relevant. Maybe we'll need an "XFL: Take Three" thread if the XFL goes defunct again and is revived. Or maybe the only successful Spring football to watch is with Arena Football.

It being Chapter 11, it could be saved from death. With how WWE just hacked off a decent chunk of it's talent to maximize profits, it'll have to be sold to survive.

I think many of us were rather sold on the new XFL that we want it to stay around longer. I certainly was. All I've heard was how XFL employees were laid off and that there seemed to be no plans to have a 2021 season. I'd say it would be a terrible shame if the XFL officially folds with no chance of recovery or trying to squeeze in a new season.

"If ya' smell... what The Rock is cooking!"

So you thought the XFL was dead and gone? Well, apparently not, because The Rock has recently become a part-owner of the XFL. He bought the XFL for $15M USD with Redbird Capital as a financial partner. Some people think this is a stunt to promote the HBO series "Ballers." Maybe the XFL could return? Or maybe this is just to acquire some of the assets of the XFL.

The XFL shut down about midway through the season in March before the COVID-19/Coronavirus pandemic began to take form. The only undefeated team at the time during the 2020 season was the Houston Roughnecks. Maybe the XFL will return next year or within a few years?

Makes sense. This way Vince recoups some of his losses from shutting it down, the investment company gets to pad its portfolio with assets from a major sports organization (which Vince will likely buy back from them when the economy swings around in his favor), and HBO and Rock get publicity for the show at about the same rate as it would cost for any other ad campaign to promote a TV show these days.

I don't see the XFL coming back soon. Live sports in general are going to be hurting for a couple more years, at least until people feel it's truly safe to go sit in a stadium with large crowds again. But at the same time I can't see Vince truly giving up on the idea of bringing it back eventually, so maybe he's got some mad plan in mind to make it happen.

Another thing about a would-be return for the XFL is that a number of players moved on. For example, the Houston Roughnecks' QB got signed by an NFL team (Indianapolis or Philadelphia, I think). So certain teams will need to draft some new talent if indeed the XFL lives on.

I figured someone would at least buy part of it. I can see HBO making a show interwoven with the league, as long as they allow them to run naturally.

It's not a sure thing yet though. Word is the non-WWE people who have a hand in it are looking for more money and a more thorough deal.

As for players... the ones who want to play will be there. If it comes back with all the teams, they won't have an issue finding players...note the word 'good' isn't involved.

Also, it's gonna have to get a rebrand. 'XFL' is like 'Atlanta NHL team', two readings with no real payoff...I they change it to 'Blitz Football League' I'm going to laugh so hard.

I they change it to 'Blitz Football League' I'm going to laugh so hard.
I'm presuming you're referring to the video game series, and given the direction it took in the Xbox 360 era, that would be... eh well, these days I'm not sure you'd want to be associated with a football game where it was encouraged to beat opposing players over the head with their own helmets to give them concussions. :scared:

I'm presuming you're referring to the video game series, and given the direction it took in the Xbox 360 era, that would be... eh well, these days I'm not sure you'd want to be associated with a football game where it was encouraged to beat opposing players over the head with their own helmets to give them concussions. :scared:
Don't forget the active drug usage, but yep that's what I was thinking of.

So the XFL is NOT dead? The XFL is eyeing a return in 2022. I actually liked [what I am calling] XFL 2.0. It was just a shame COVID-19/Coronavirus mostly screwed over trying to complete the 2020 season. I'm sure Houston Roughnecks fans were probably still celebrating being unofficial 2020 champs. But... the XFL will try again in 2022 according to reports.

Get psyched, I guess?

Back