Xi?

• Thread starter d3br34k5
  • 13 comments
I had a friend who was heavily involved in trying to get it figured out, but he backed off a couple weeks ago, it was getting annoying. I'll talk to him over the next couple days, he is a member here so I'll see if I can get him to come on and post what he knows.

There is an official PS Home Xi forum with several threads and a few thousand posts all discussing Xi... however, the whole point of Xi is the challenge of figuring it out, so be warned, spoilers are aplenty!

On the other hand, if you want step by step instructions on solving the past and current Xi puzzles, there are threads in that forum that will do just that.

Xi - the world’s first console-based ARG, exclusive to PlayStation Home - just got bigger.

Specifically, the mysterious Alpha Zone is now open...

3470793657_eb311bb6dc_o.png

I saw those pics of the alpha zone a few days ago, some guy managed to glitch into the area and take some snaps.

Ive done a few parts of xi so far, its quite good and offers a wide variety of things to do and interesting spaces to explore. The only that bugs me is that the dev's clearly didnt design it with SDTV users in mind because sometimes its impossible to see or read stuff in xi.

Robin.

Xi just keeps on growing.... and the puzzles and story lines makes it feel like it was designed and continues to be developed by the same creative team behind Lost. :D

It's certainly addictive. It's especially fun running through some of the puzzles with a group. 👍

I also really liked the nod to early eighties text based adventure games with the mini-game Caverns of the Bandit King in Alpha Zone #1... ahh the memories!

Pity I can't read those damn text based games on an SDTV! :grumpy:

I've a 22" HD TV an it was a struggle for me sitting about 10 feet away, there should be a zoom feature.

But other than that I do like XI, I've only started it though so I'm still a bit unsure of what the story lines are but I'll catch on. And I did have to cheat with youtube on the third circuits game, I never liked that minesweeper type of game. :guilty:

I'm waiting for the final days and will do it all then. I guess something is meant to happen when you finish?

I'm waiting for the final days and will do it all then. I guess something is meant to happen when you finish?

I suspect you'll be waiting and missing a lot then, as it is a continually evolving and growing ARG, which means many of the clues could lose their meaning over time, and perhaps even disappear. Especially those found outside Home, and instead are in the real world. I've already seen many of the clues in Home change and even disappear.

From the Wiki listing for Xi:

Xi is the world's first console-based Alternate Reality Game. The game is an adventure to help find "Jess" and the meaning of Xi that takes place in a series of secret areas in Home changing frequently. The game also involves the users to search for clues in the real world.

This game was created by nDreams who have released a space for Xi called "The Hub" and another space called "Home Maintenance" as well as Alpha Zones 1, 2, and 3 within The Hub which all hold different mini-games and puzzles.

Xi was advertised via clues and hints over the past month prior to its release on March 23, 2009. The clues were hidden in the Menu Pad and videos in the central meeting point.

The Hub can be accessed via the Teleport and Home Maintenance can be accessed via the Manhole cover, both of which are located in the central meeting point.

The Alpha Zones can be accessed through the teleports in The Hub.

The Hub, Home Maintenance, and the Alpha Zones cannot be accessed through the world map.

Here is the general layout of Xi in it's current state... may be considered a spoiler by some (although I have not included any puzzle info), and unfortunately the
tag won't hide List items, some may want to quickly skip the following info:

The Hub
  • "HoloPAD" (accesses Enter code, HoloMail, Display fragments, Display butterflies, and Rate avatar)
  • "Stapler" (robot with expeditions)
  • "Online Getaway" (accesses Message Board, Video Vault, Miguel's Blog, Web Browser, Alpha AFK website, Jess247, and Veilcorp.com)
  • "What's New" Screen
  • "Weekly Re-cap" Screen
  • "Unregister yourself from Xi"
  • Three teleports that access each Alpha Zone

Alpha Zone 1
  • Game Test Area
  • Adventure Lobby
  • Maximum Tilt Lobby

Alpha Zone 2
  • Light and Dark Lobby

Alpha Zone 3
  • (currently unavailable)

Home Maintenance
  • "Open Locker" (contains a picture ID of William Johnson)
  • "Enter Padlock Code"
  • "Pick Up the Envelope" (letter from Thom)
  • "Security Terminals"
    • New Staff Registration
    • Server File Optimizer
    • Terminal Offline
    • Color Code Entry
      (three additional Terminals are locked)
  • "Controls" (assemble a robot)
  • "Call the Elevator" (currently out of order).

To be honest I would most likely be using some kind of guide so will miss out on the meaning of it all anyway. I had started it off when it was first introduced and got a bit bored of it all. I just want to do it in the hope of some kind of reward for completing the puzzle.

Latest Posts

Back