XR series too hard to handle?

• Thread starter NSX-R
  • 50 comments
I tried LFS2 again and it left me feeling a little disappointed because they are so hard to control on Road Normal tires!!! Throttling requires delicated input and try to recover from a slide is impossible without preparation! Is this because of my skills, DFP set-up? Or is it just a hard-handling car?

It's a skill problem, but you'll learn quick. I can catch a slide pretty easy with the XRT, and I don't even race those. I'm more into XFG. :D

yeah try and master the GTi first. :P. most of the best guys mastered the gti 1st before moving on to the faster cars. Have you tried using one of the setups from here? http://www.teaminferno.hu/ most of em are good for racing but some are qualify setups and you might need to make a few tweaks to get the car to fit your style.

With lfs, its not the car but the competition that decides weather a race is exciting. ;) i find the UF1 just as fun on most tracks as i do the Formula V8 :D.

I do alot of drifting too so i understand how to control a drift well and i'm able to anticipate a slide and control it. Comes in handy when someone accidentally nudges your rear in a race. just drift the corner instead of spinning out and continue racing.👍 Also i'm good at wearing the tires out evenly compared to other drivers:tup:

the XFR's a blast to drive :D it was the last car i raced in before my wheel broke :(

Thanks guys! GTi only offers understeer, and I am having prolem with oversteer, but I will try the more docile version of the XR and see what happens.

BTW, high speed braking is always shaky, I tried threshold, re-applying brakes, and nothing reduces the shaky feeling, any advice?

The Fwd cars in LFS can oversteer almost whenever you want them to if you know how to shift weight properly.Some of the key throttle and steering techniques that apply to all cars can be learned through the gti like weight shifting and tire grip awareness. sure its the opposite of rwd in some situations but at least you will be thinking "hmm lets try the opposite and see what happens" boom you've learned a faster technique :). :P

its the weight shifting man :P.The game's a bit more complex when it comes to simulation suspension and how the tire reacts with the ground. you want to fully commit during the whole breaking-cornering-accelerating process. Initially you shouldnt have to make any steering corrections when breaking if you have the car stable and commited for the next turn. On the 1st after the straight of blackwood, your going to want to do most of your breaking before the turn.

try this also. Dont focus on the racing line or corners too much. just really focus on getting full throttle as soon as possible with the steering wheel being straight. The you'll discover the standard "out in out" isnt the best race line all of the time. After you get used to not spinning when breaking and entering the corner and at corner exit, focus on finetuning your raceline. Try and get to know 1 corner through each lap of practice and then move on to the next one.

^ i gave my brother the same tip when he 1st started playing the game and he was much better soon afterwards. It sounds strange but it works because the goal is "to make the straightaways longer"

with braking, be carefull you're not locking the tires. if you are you can weaken the breaks a bit untill you get better at your technique. you can change the bias of the set to be more towards the front if it feels too unstable. I hope you're using a good set :)

Ok, XR GT is a piece of cake now, the only problem I'm having is braking on the second straight. I followed the AI (Quick) all the way, and do whatever he/she did. However I really have to brake much earlier to get a clean entry! Frustrating... XRT handles really weird, feels like it has too much power to handle... or is it too much for me? It will start oversteering constantly, and when I try to correct it, snap understeer will occur... What am I doing wrong? BTW I have no problem correcting oversteer in the weaker version of the XR.

damn... the ai breaks hella early even on the pro difficulty. are you using default setup? are your pedals beind detected as fully pressed when you press them all the way down?

I don't dare to go full braking because they will lock badly and I will spin. I don't think there is anything wrong with the pedals, however I am doubting my braking skills. If you are in a situation like the second straight in Blackwood, would you brake harder in the beginning or in the end (In the straight line of course) ?

Braking hard in the beginning, then easing of the brake as you turn in. I usually brake around the 150M sign. A good setup is gold worth!

I'm mainly training myself rather than finding the best set-up and get the best time, so I'm driving everything stock with normal tires.

Thanks for the tip by the way.

NSX-R
The suckier it is, the more I am gonna learn :)

I feel the cars really lack traction... open diff perhaps?

But the fast setups handles completely different. Trust me, they are harder to drive.

And about the diff, you can change your diff setup. I usually set mine at Vis. Diff with 20nm/rad. 👍

^ yeah i like viscous more as well but i was using clutch pack lsd alot before my wheel broke.

I do remember that i felt like i could hold more speed with less effort when using a viscous lsd compared to a clutch pack.

I tried viscous today, wow! Feels like an entirely different car! In a good way...

Be honest guys, do you have trouble driving XRT with hard-track setting on Normal tyres?

not really cus i've been playing the game for years. almost all the cars fit like a glove to me. I mean.. i havent played LFS for months, and i jumped on today and did a 1:44 on Aston national with the FZR after only 3 laps of practice.
fixed my dfp finally :D

I have figured out why my braking skills sucks:

I have set the brake and throttle as one axis, and I have a habit of heel-and-toe. When I blip the throttle, the brake lessens, thus making the stopping distance longer...

Any idea on how to set them apart?

wait, that might be why you find the game so hard.. how do you have your wheel set up in wingman profiler?
what do you have spring, damper and all that stuff set to?

yeah u have to select it ingame too... but i'm wondering how he has his force feedback set up. that may be why he finds the cars so hard to drive.

Well, I haven't touched the wingman set-up at all, and cars are stock as well.

I am having trouble with the feedback though, it's hard to find the right amount of force. Countersteering feels weird, it's really hard to recover from oversteer and when I rarely do, snap understeer occurs.

Btw how should I set them into two axis? It shows up as one in the game? Also when I downshift I noticed the computer is doing the toe-and-heeling for me. Help!

well, 1st create a profiler for lfs, or you can do it in global.

overall effects strength= 100%
spring effect strength= 0%
damper effect strength=0%
check centering spring, but leave it at 0%
then make the steering lock however you want.

tell me how you like these settings
do you own s2? whats ur name ingame?

These settings are much better than mine! Thanks! Still, I can't seperate the axis with Wingman! I can create a new one, but the game doesn't seem to recognize it.

Unfortunately, I don't own S2, however my friend has it and I go over to play frequently.

I tried all of the other cars today, and now XRT feels like a sweetheart on the track... compared with FZ50's braking "stability", or the lack thereof, to be precise, and RA's lack of tolerance for curbs and bumps... The touring cars are suprisingly easy to drive though...

you checked seperate axis in the profiler and you went in the ingame options and did it... and it still doesnt work?

Try recalibrating the wheel out of game, and uncheck calibration lock then recalibrate it ingame.
if that doesnt work, you can try plugging out the wheel, uninstalling drivers completely using that driver cleaner software, then reinstall the drivers and recalibrate.

NSX-R
Unfortunately, I don't own S2, however my friend has it and I go over to play frequently.

I tried all of the other cars today, and now XRT feels like a sweetheart on the track... compared with FZ50's braking "stability", or the lack thereof, to be precise, and RA's lack of tolerance for curbs and bumps... The touring cars are suprisingly easy to drive though...
Ever tried racing the F08? :scared:

Back