yeah, another camera newbie thread.

• Thread starter SpartanG
  • 8 comments
United States
NRV, Virginia
Woo_Boost
I'm thinking of asking for a DSLR for christmas. I searched around and found that the nikon D3100 and canon rebel t2i (550d) were the best options for beginners, both in function and price. I want to take both pictures and videos with this camera, but i want to learn the right way as well. So which camera is right for me? I'm leaning towards the 550d based on some really nice videos I saw on youtube, but those don't necessarily mean much. Obviously, just like cars, cameras often end up being more than the sum of their parts, so I'll have to go to a local shop and at least hold the two cameras to see what I like.

Also, is the practice of photography "hard"? I've tried a few other talent-based hobbies like guitar and music production, but I found them both to be where I would get to a certain point with my skills but I could never break that barrier, which led to me kind of dropping those things. It would be unfortunate if I or someone else spent all this money just for me to lose interest. Don't get me wrong here, I love to learn and expand my knowledge, but Obviously the idea of photography and videomaking is more flexible, because you can use anything you like as the subject. And it's less open ended than music production, because the basic idea is already in front of you, your job is just to turn that into a pleasing picture. I feel I would use the camera a lot more because of this, but I said the same thing about the other stuff i've tried.

If you read all that, kudos :sly: Thanks for any input.

Like anything, there is a curve and some points where it gets tricky. Plus, the costs and technical aspects of photography can be considerable.

But on the issue of hitting a wall, here is a quote that I often look to when I am having issues in my work and photography

Nobody tells this to people who are beginners. I wish someone had told me. All of us who do creative work, we get into it because we have good taste. But there is a gap. For the first couple of years, you make stuff, it’s just not that good. It’s trying to be good, it has potential, but it’s not. But your taste, the thing that got you into the game, is still killer. And your taste is why your work disappoints you. A lot of people never get past this phase; they quit. Most people I know who do interesting, creative, work went through years of this. We know our work doesn’t have this special thing we want it to have. We all go through this. And if you are just starting out or you are still in this phase, you gotta know that it’s normal and the most important thing you can do is do a lot of work. Put yourself on a deadline so that every week, you finish one piece. It’s only by going through a volume of work that you will close that gap, and your work will be as good as your ambitions. And I took longer to figure out how to do this than anyone I’ve ever met. It’s gonna take awhile. It’s normal to take awhile. You just gotta fight your way though.

I'll have to go to a local shop and at least hold the two cameras to see what I like.
This. You looking at specs and us telling you what we think/like are pointless if the body doesn't fit your hands well. Narrowing down a few, like you've done, it the first step. Hands on is the next. That said, Canon bodies typically are a bit smaller than Nikons but so far, I'm still loving my T1i.

Keep in mind that even though you'll have the body and one (or possibly two) lenses if you buy a kit, there are still a lot of things you'll likely need/want - a tripod and bag if nothing else and we haven't even started on filters, or additional lenses. On the plus side, that can all be added over time as you want (and are able) to. Or you have birthday presents taken care of for the next few years. :lol:

Edit: Take a look through this thread I started when I was trying to decide on a camera. There might be something helpful for you. 👍

Azuremen
Like anything, there is a curve and some points where it gets tricky. Plus, the costs and technical aspects of photography can be considerable.

But on the issue of hitting a wall, here is a quote that I often look to when I am having issues in my work and photography

That quote( I assume you quoted that?) was epic, wow!

Copy & Saved for future reference. Great quote. 👍👍

@Azuremen

I agree! Great quote.... It sounds very familiar! :D

@ OP

As for choosing a camera, I would take TBs advice and go do some hands on to try and decide on the one you want.

Wow, that was a really good quote. maybe I should follow that quote for the things I've tried before :dunce:

And yeah, I'll take a trip to a local camera shop sometime this week. Thanks all for the input.

Whatever you do, whatever you buy: stay away from auto mode. Put it in aperture priority mode and go from there. :)

Mr. S
Whatever you do, whatever you buy: stay away from auto mode. Put it in aperture priority mode and go from there. :)

I went shutter priority before going to manual, given that I was normally shooting racing cars..it seemed like the best way to go.

Back