Yellow Light Of Death, Finally!!! (PS3 60gig).

Hi fellow gamers, i'm having serious issues with the PS3 console.

1st Problem: Power Supply Went Dead

2nd Problem: Blue Ray Drive stopped working

3rd Problem: Yellow Light of Death !!

All this within a space of 6mths. & just after the warranty period ended. I initially changed the power supply, then later, when the B/ray went, I changed that. Now just this week the light of death.

Sony needs to get serious with their hardware reliability, especially since the system is not exactly cheap. Yes I know, pay the $150 & get it fixed, which i will probably end up doing, but this is not healthy for the brand image & gaining consumer confidence.

I'm fed up as you can imagine, but I submit this thread to get imput & general opinions on this situation, & steps you guys would take on this matter if the situation was presented to you.

Look forward to your responses.......

Funny enough mine also got YLOD just after the warrenty expired. Sony wanted nothing to do with it. There attitude was basically oh well it happens get over it. So ended up fixing the YLOD myself and its been working like a charm ever since 👍

my 60gb did it to although got a replacement through sony continious play, it costs £4.99 a month but i think its only uk customers and covers everythin in the box, they are sending me a new sixaxis too as the analogue's sqeek and dont centre, sony were giving out free refurbs as a good gesture until they realised how many are going pop so they stopped it

YLOD occurs when one attempts to turn on the system from standby mode.

When you press the power button the light turns from Red to Yellow, then goes back Red (and flashes).This signifies that the system is dead.

The cause is said to be when the cpu & gpu processors kinda become disconnected from the board of the system.

And unless you are prepared to disassemble the entire system & repair it, the only other option would be to send it to Sony at a US $150 + tax us price tag, & await the return.

Never heard of it. And could you explain why this topic is in the Prologue section and not the PS3 section?

I guess it could be posted in the PS3 section, but being a Prologue player exclusively, & the only reason i purchased the system was for GT5P & GT5 (which is just around the corner), i just felt the the need to express my disgust & seek info from others who may have experienced this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel for you dude - same happened to me - just out of warranty(almost like they designed like that!)
Managed to find a local tech to repair it without losing any of my hardrive data - if you hand it to the registered sony repairer they will more than likely just give you a refurbished unit.....goodluck

that sucks dude. from the experience, always send to sony if it breaks down. fix and sell your 60gb and get a new 80gb or the slim.

My friend got the YLOD about 2 weeks ago!!

Also, my dad is planning to buy a cheap 20GB PS3 for Blu-Ray purposes only.. Is this a good idea? I mean, its kinda old.

I guess it could be posted in the PS3 section, but being a Prologue player exclusively, & the only reason i purchased the system was for GT5P & GT5 (which is just around the corner), i just felt the the need to express my disgust & seek info from others who may have experienced this.

That doesn't really answer his question.

my ps3 had the YLOD months after the warranty and i phoned sony in greece and they got me a new ps3 for about 200euro and send back the old one:tup:

Sony needs to get serious with their hardware reliability, especially since the system is not exactly cheap.

Average 3-year failure rate for PS3s is 3%. Compare this to the Wii (3%), the average for the entire electronics industry (15%) and the XBox360 (16.4%). And, if you like, the most reliable manufacturers in the vehicle industry Honda (9.8%) and Mazda (10.1%).

Average 3-year failure rate for PS3s is 3%. Compare this to the Wii (3%), the average for the entire electronics industry (15%) and the XBox360 (16.4%). And, if you like, the most reliable manufacturers in the vehicle industry Honda (9.8%) and Mazda (10.1%).

buzzkill.jpg

Had the same thing happen to my ps3 at the end of last year,got on to sony and they replaced it free of charge even though the warranty was out.Have to say i found sony to be very helpfull and quick in their response,i had a new ps3 only 2weeks after i got on to them...

:)

I never listen to official figures as they are not representative of real failure rates. They do not take into account those who have fixed the console themselves or through a 3rd party, or those who have just left it broken or thrown it out.

My PS3 has been broken now for half a year (blu ray drive failure) and as im not sending it to Sony I guess im not part of those 'official figures'. For something thats costed around £400 it should not break roughly every year as this is how long various internal components seem to last for, some have had to send their console in 3 times already!

Just out of interest Gameinformer carried out an independant review or failure rates and put the figure at 10.6%.

Robin.

I never listen to official figures as they are not representative of real failure rates. They do not take into account those who have fixed the console themselves or through a 3rd party, or those who have just left it broken or thrown it out.

Indeed. They are warranty claim only (which includes Continuous Play) - and 3 year failure rates, since it's only natural that if you give it long enough everything will have a 100% failure rate.

My PS3 has been broken now for half a year (blu ray drive failure) and as im not sending it to Sony I guess im not part of those 'official figures'. For something thats costed around £400 it should not break roughly every year as this is how long various internal components seem to last for, some have had to send their console in 3 times already!

Just out of interest Gameinformer carried out an independant review or failure rates and put the figure at 10.6%.

Robin.

Even if that's the case (and my source is also an independant review from a company that sells warranties across the industry :lol:), it still beats the industry average of 15% for 3-year failure rates...

A friend of mine had his two year old 360 RROD recently. He sent it in to MS under their warranty scheme and they sent it back, unrepaired, with a note to say it had been tampered with (which it hadn't). He's not part of any official figures either.

Ooh, I'd love to put some fancy percentage of how long my 360 lasted compared to my PS3.

360 - 45 minutes then the GPU died.
PS3 - Several hours each day, and can often be left on overnight (I have it set to auto-off after 5 hours non-controller usage, could cut it to 3, really) as I invariably fall asleep whilst watching a DVD/BD/iPlayer.

Sometimes components fail, it happens. The PS3 components are built to a high standard, as shown by Famine's stats, doesn't mean it's going to be infallible though.

could it be possible that der ylod most happens to 60gb ps3 models ??? i can`t really remember that someone with a 40gb had sais that he had a ylod ...

Is this only with the 60GB PS3? I have a 80GB PS3 and it's been working since christmas last year. The only problem I have is that the internet doesn't always work.

You'd be hard-pressed, seeing as how Continuous Play isn't taking any new customers...

My 60GB got the YLoD last week. What I find interesting is if costs you $150 to fix the thing, but the new PS3 Slim costs $299. I wonder how much they are going to ask for repairs now, since all PS3 are $100 cheaper. I really hope the Slim can take my 60GB HDD from my original model.

I got my PS3 (40gb) December '07 (Not for Christmas, I bought it with my own money, before anyone calls me spoiled) and i got the YLOD in march '08. My replacement from sony has been fine.

My question to you guys would be, should i send the 60gig to Sony to be repaired/serviced for $150+tax, or pay $299+tax for the slim.

Please note, i'v just replaced the B/Ray & Power Supply.

Comments Please ..........

Well, I am just buying a PS3 Slim instead of fixing my 60GB. Why not start new? Besides the new console has the more portable size, and a bigger HDD. I don't mind restarting all my game saves. That is the really big thing: do you want to start all over or not?

Oh, in other PS3 news, it was recently announced by Sony that BACKWARDS COMPAT WITH PS2 GAMES HAS BEEN PERMANENTLY REMOVED. It will NEVER be making a comeback. I honestly don't see the need for this feature myself either. Good job Sony!

Well, I am just buying a PS3 Slim instead of fixing my 60GB. Why not start new? Besides the new console has the more portable size, and a bigger HDD. I don't mind restarting all my game saves. That is the really big thing: do you want to start all over or not?

Oh, in other PS3 news, it was recently announced by Sony that BACKWARDS COMPAT WITH PS2 GAMES HAS BEEN PERMANENTLY REMOVED. It will NEVER be making a comeback. I honestly don't see the need for this feature myself either. Good job Sony!

After fixing my YLOD 60GB the refurbished model just died 3 1/2 months later, refusing to turn on or light up at all.

It's obvious now the 60GBs are very unreliable compared to the 40GBs or probably the slim.

BUT

The PS3 Slim is so ugly. I don't think I'll buy a slim, I'll get the 60GB fixed one more time and hope it lasts. I like the 4 USB ports, card slots and PS2 backwards compatibility.

I'll also be waiting for a service price drop. $150 to fix a $300 console won't last long. I expect it to drop to $120 or $99 to fix the PS3.

I don't usually stare at how beautiful or ugly my console is while i play my games. :) Besides you can't even see it if you play with the lights off

The PS3 phat looks nice in my home theater setup. It's shiny black coat matches my Sony Bravia's piano black finish quite nicely

The PS3 slim is a plain Jane. It looks like Sony even cut money out of making it look good.

If there was an ugly contest between the Xbox 1 and the PS3 slim I'd say the Xbox 1 got the cheapness award but the PS3 slim has no redeeming qualities whatsoever

Funny enough mine also got YLOD just after the warrenty expired. Sony wanted nothing to do with it. There attitude was basically oh well it happens get over it. So ended up fixing the YLOD myself and its been working like a charm ever since 👍

My 60gb just got the YLOD, I am curious how crazytorise fixed his unit instead of sending it in? I just bought a second PS3 two weeks ago, I am on the fence as to send this unit in or just by the slim in a few weeks? If I can fix it myself and get some more life out of it that would be the easiest solution.

Edit: After PM'ing crazytortise, I found the videos on You Tube to fix the YLOD. I went out and bought a $21 heat gun and $6 tube of thermal grease. The disassembly of the PS3 was not hard just had to take time doing it. I am letting the board cool as we speak then back to reassembly of the unit and test.

Edit: The YLOD fix worked! After reassembly of the PS3 it turned back on and I am back in business! Thanks crazytortise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back