Yet another GT6 update failed thread

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Apologies I know there have been many many threads on this topic over the years, but I really do want to play GT6 but I can't for the life of me get the game to update properly. I've read and watched just about every thread and video tutorial out there, I've tried the method where you install each update one at a time, and it works up until a certain update. The 2 GB update which I assume is 1.10 consistently fails, no matter what I try or how many times I try it. The only solution I've found online that I haven't tried myself yet is using an external SSD, but there's no way I'm wasting that much money just so I can update this game. I'm almost certain that my PS3 and the disk for the game work fine, it's the 1.10 update that's the problem. Does anyone have any new suggestions on how to get past this particular update that keeps failing?

The only problem I had when i downloaded all the updates many moons ago was my ps3 was set to turn off after a certain period of time if it sat on idol, causing it to turn itself off mid update.
I changed the time setting and i didn't have any problems after that.

Apologies I know there have been many many threads on this topic over the years, but I really do want to play GT6 but I can't for the life of me get the game to update properly. I've read and watched just about every thread and video tutorial out there, I've tried the method where you install each update one at a time, and it works up until a certain update. The 2 GB update which I assume is 1.10 consistently fails, no matter what I try or how many times I try it. The only solution I've found online that I haven't tried myself yet is using an external SSD, but there's no way I'm wasting that much money just so I can update this game. I'm almost certain that my PS3 and the disk for the game work fine, it's the 1.10 update that's the problem. Does anyone have any new suggestions on how to get past this particular update that keeps failing?
After you install each update one at a time and it works up until a certain update, do you disable the internet and let the game run ?.

Just another thought... hard drive space or maybe other games used up space needed for proper load... ?
Yeah I heard about that and gave it a go, got about 60GB free now but no difference. I heard that you might need double the space the game actually takes up, but even that's only 40GB from what I've read.
After you install each update one at a time and it works up until a certain update, do you disable the internet and let the game run ?.
Yep, as I said I've followed all the installation guides out there, I've even tried removing the disk each time even though I'm not sure how that would help. No dice though. I find it odd how 1.10 update is the killer, it never seems to get past 50% in the in game installer on that one without failing.

I will give it another go though in the hopes that maybe if I repeat the process enough times the polyphony god's will have mercy on me.

Last edited:
You may have a hard drive issue on your PS3.
I've read this in other threads too and considered that it might be the problem, but I'm just not sure it's true. The PS3 doesn't struggle updating or playing any other game, its just GT6. More specifically, it's just 1.10, the other updates install fine. Plus I'm pretty sure I've heard in other threads that people have replaced their HDDs and the issue has still persisted, so I cant say I'm too keen to do the same. Surely there are other solutions?

I've read this in other threads too and considered that it might be the problem, but I'm just not sure it's true. The PS3 doesn't struggle updating or playing any other game, its just GT6. More specifically, it's just 1.10, the other updates install fine. Plus I'm pretty sure I've heard in other threads that people have replaced their HDDs and the issue has still persisted, so I cant say I'm too keen to do the same. Surely there are other solutions?
If I were you I will replace the hard drive or buy another PS3, because there is an issues with your PS3 hard drive. Another thing you can do a complete format of your PS3 HD because it may take the glitch out.

If I were you I will replace the hard drive or buy another PS3, because there is an issues with your PS3 hard drive. Another thing you can do a complete format of your PS3 HD because it may take the glitch out.
I think replacing is out of the question, no way I'm spending that much money to play GT6. Formatting I am considering though. Before I do that though I'm gonna see if restoring the file system on the PS3 makes any difference, just read elsewhere that could fix it.

I think replacing is out of the question, no way I'm spending that much money to play GT6. Formatting I am considering though. Before I do that though I'm gonna see if restoring the file system on the PS3 makes any difference, just read elsewhere that could fix it.
Just try restoring the file system on the PS3 is a good idea, and then if that does not work and then do the format and see what happens. If you do a complete format, put you saves onto a USB.

I find it odd how 1.10 update is the killer, it never seems to get past 50% in the in game installer on that one without failing.
Whether relevant or not, the 1.10 update is the largest compressed of all of them, by a large margin. Based on a listing I saw.

Another couple thoughts... how ‘bout using another GT6 disk ? Some disks were forged or had problems cause if it isn’t the hard drive or PS3 then the disk would be suspect. Hold down the PS3 button and select item 3 restoring the file system might help. Yes, that install requires a lot of room so that is really suspect on the space you may have available for that update cause it seems odd it only does it with the big single update of 1.10. One last thought... could your internet connection carrier be limiting your downloads somehow ?

Last edited:
Status update- after the lengthy process of formatting the PS3 and restoring the file systems and installing all the updates up to 1.10... it still didn't work.

I really don't know what the issue is to be honest. The HDD works perfectly fine for every other game and every other update, so as much as I don't know too much about HDD's, I struggle to believe that's the issue. I definitely have enough space on the PS3 for all the updates. The PS3 is connected directly via ethernet and the internet works perfectly so I don't think that's the issue either. The disk... I guess could be the issue? The thing is though the disk looks perfectly fine and was bought from a trustworthy seller. And I'm not sure how the disk could even effect the installation of the update, it's not like it's being installed to the disk or being transferred from the disk in any way, the installation takes place on the PS3 itself no?

So yeah, no idea what to do now, still welcome any new ideas though, unless it involves spending more money just to update this damn thing. I may try playing the game at version 1.09, to see if it runs stable. If it does I guess I'll just have to skip a bunch of content. I knew I should've just stuck with the old GTs!

Status update- after the lengthy process of formatting the PS3 and restoring the file systems and installing all the updates up to 1.10... it still didn't work.

I really don't know what the issue is to be honest. The HDD works perfectly fine for every other game and every other update, so as much as I don't know too much about HDD's, I struggle to believe that's the issue. I definitely have enough space on the PS3 for all the updates. The PS3 is connected directly via ethernet and the internet works perfectly so I don't think that's the issue either. The disk... I guess could be the issue? The thing is though the disk looks perfectly fine and was bought from a trustworthy seller. And I'm not sure how the disk could even effect the installation of the update, it's not like it's being installed to the disk or being transferred from the disk in any way, the installation takes place on the PS3 itself no?

So yeah, no idea what to do now, still welcome any new ideas though, unless it involves spending more money just to update this damn thing. I may try playing the game at version 1.09, to see if it runs stable. If it does I guess I'll just have to skip a bunch of content. I knew I should've just stuck with the old GTs!
Try this, take your PS3 around to your friends house or any other members of your family that have the internet, and see if you are able to download the update 1.10, and if you can not download that 1.10 update other than your internet, well it maybe a issue with your hard drive.

Last edited:
Try this, take your PS3 around to your friends house or any other members of your family that have the internet, and see if you are able to download the update 1.10, and if you can not download that 1.10 update other than your internet, well it maybe a issue with your hard drive.
Na the internet is fine, and I'm pretty sure the hard drive is fine too. Think I might just try get a refund, this game is more trouble than its worth.

Back