Yet another PC build thread....help!

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 75 comments
As above. You'd be disappointed with an RX560 after the 7970.

I'd have to question their statement about running those games on max settings too. Sub 60fps for most of them so you'd have to drop to medium IQ.

As above. You'd be disappointed with an RX560 after the 7970.

I'd have to question their statement about running those games on max settings too. Sub 60fps for most of them so you'd have to drop to medium IQ.
Even with mine I can run GTA5 at med-high settings, but I can't max it out.

You'd be dropping to medium, maybe medium low with the 560. The only thing it (560) really has going for it is it's more power efficient.

Here's a GPUBoss comparison. It's mainly synthetic but it gives you a good idea on the difference.

Just going to replace my failed GPU at the moment. Where should I start to look for one that will work with what I have? I do have 16GB RAM now, but that is the only thing that has changed.

Your CPU is decent so it shouldn't be much of a bottleneck for a medium high GPU like a GTX1070, or RX580/90 but if you're using 1080, one of the new 1660Ti (possibly a cheaper non Ti version to come) or a 6GB 1060. I would have said 3GB a year or two ago but textures are getting a bit VRAM heavy nowadays.

Just going to replace my failed GPU at the moment. Where should I start to look for one that will work with what I have? I do have 16GB RAM now, but that is the only thing that has changed.

I would buy a new or used GTX1060 at least (6GB version preferred) or maybe a 1050Ti (4GB) which is cheaper than a 1060 and a bit better than the HD7970. If you want to remain in the team red then I would advise you to buy a Radeon RX580 (specwise it is between the Nvidia 1060 and 1070) if you can find one (avoid used cards in this case because of the bitcoin miners).

Last edited:
An 8GB RX 580 would probably be your best bet.

An ex-mining card wouldn't be a bad idea, as long as it was taken care of properly. In theory, mining cards would have less wear (with the exception of the fan bearings) than gaming cards, due to them being underclocked and kept at a constant temperature.

Having said that, brand new 580's seem to go on sale regularly.

Just read that the 1660 (non Ti) gets released March 15th and a 1650 April 30th. Nvidia is looking to take sales away from AMD in the medium to low sectors to recover some of their falling quarterly profits.

I've got a feeling the new 1660 will be the new 1080p budget king so it might be worthwhile waiting a couple of weeks. Priced from $180 (probably a 1650) so a 1660 should be around $210-220.

Just read that the 1660 (non Ti) gets released March 15th and a 1650 April 30th. Nvidia is looking to take sales away from AMD in the medium to low sectors to recover some of their falling quarterly profits.

I've got a feeling the new 1660 will be the new 1080p budget king so it might be worthwhile waiting a couple of weeks. Priced from $180 (probably a 1650) so a 1660 should be around $210-220.
Trying to get it replaced ASAP. Need my video editing stuff and Photoshop to do other things.

The RX580's are looking pretty nicely priced on eBay for a used one but not sure I trust it.

Edit: This one for example. Used for gaming and mining, never overclocked with original BIOS. Hmm.

Edit 2: Probably just going to go with this new one.

Edit 3: Ordered the new one.

Last edited:
Edit: This one for example. Used for gaming and mining, never overclocked with original BIOS. Hmm.

Now the mining boom has bust, everyone's unloading 580's. This time last year, they were selling for $550...:lol:

(Just so you know, they're a great GPU for the money but as it's a reworked 480, there's no headroom left for overclocking.)

Looks like it's too late now unless your card is DOA but you really should have bought from a retailer instead for the free games offer and warranty. Newegg have RX 580 8GB with 2 games for under $170 new and also GTX 1060 6GB (Worth it for the lower power consumption and heat) under $200 new.

Back