Ylod and my gt5 disc wont eject !

With mine I took the Blu-Ray drive apart, piece by piece. Pretty amazing how small and how tight they put those screws in. Chipped the screw bit.

i got ylod last night, i was lucky that i could just press eject instead of power buttom, så it turns on by ejecting, did the job for me :P

just bought a new ps3 today :P sucks, but gonna be fun going trough all in gt5 again..

Well I noticed that when the ps3 is horizontal, the bottom in contact with the ground/table gets very hot... whereas it doesn't when standing vertical...
I'm getting paranoid now xD, so it's always vertical, but thanks for this info, i'll try and ask other YLOD PS3 owner ;), sorry for your loss :nervous:

My PS3 got ylod friday night after a 4 hour stint on GT5, lucky I backed up my game save to a USB Pen Drive, now awaiting a slim PS3 to be delivered.

one question though ( assuming anyone knows )

I had bought a 640GB HDD for my phat PS3 and had GT5 and a few other games installed on it, if I put it into the slim PS3,. will the drive need reformatting despite it coming from another PS3 & already formatted to the filesystem that the PS3 uses?

IMHO I think the PS3 has an inherent defect, In that the ylod issue is nearly always caused by the same problems ( cracked/dry solder, dried up thermal paste, or burnt circuits on the PCB )

when I took apart my PS3 ( out of warranty ) I gave the motherboard the once over, and noticed several scorch marks on the board, some were fatal to the PS3's operation and so the heatgun method would not have worked.

My Ps3 would regularly be stood upright with a good 60+ cm away from any wall surface ( as 10cm is suggested I wanted to make sure it was an acceptable distance away to prevent any OverHeating issues )

And when the PS3 was in the bedroom it would lay flat ( I would play GT5 in bed for a couple hours before I went to sleep )

I'm now considering buying some ylod PS3's and going to attempt repairs on them.

Back