Yosemite Rally I (hard)

United States
United States
So, I've been trying Yosemite Rally I for over 5 hours and I can't get close to beating it. Does anyone have tips or car suggestions to help me?

Last edited:
I am starting back up on GT4. I am trying to do a minimum buy playthrough. I know the Dodge Ram can do it relatively easy tuned up. Cathedral I has some tricky corners, raw power won't get you through like the more open courses. I don't know what I will use yet, may try the RSC stock for a change.

So, I've been trying Yosemite Rally I for over 5 hours and I can't get close to beating it. Does anyone have tips or car suggestions to help me?
I completed that event with Version I Subaru Impreza '94 (stock weight, ~ 260 HP, transmission upgrades), so any rally car with 300 HP should be able to clear the event succesfully. If you're struggling with one particular opponent, try another one, I think at least two AI cars always appear randomly.

What is your total time after the race? Make sure you don't slide around too much, slow approach to corners with moderate rear-end sliding is the fastest way of clearing the track.

Good Rally cars (with liveries) : Any Impreza, Focus, Evolution Super or CZ-3. Try avoiding Group B cars, they are difficult to control.

I invested in some component cables. So now I have GT4 in 1080i. It's like a whole different game.

I struggled with the dirt/snow events when I did these years ago. Now that I have GT5 and 6 under my belt I don't findd them as tough. Still, packing on a stage 4 turbo to get them over with is an old habit that's hard to break from cold turkey.

The RSC made short work of easy, so I may switch to a Group A to make it more fair.

Key to these is to drift as little as possible. I know it's a fun thing to do, but it add seconds to your time. Slow in fast out is a key element here.

If you play in the max out my car and decimate all style the dirt/snow events will trip you up.

It really is fun to just power slide around and let the tail of the car skirt the wall, but it equates to slow lap times even if it feels like you are really moving. Better to manage your entry speeds, slow in, fast out indeed. The AI are not great at dirt so you can beat them with inferior equipment to a point.

The best tip would be to run the easy and normal race over and over. Learn the track and make some credits for the effort. Normal would be better, more credits for one, a better prize car too. Try to keep up with the AI wait till last lap to pass. Watch what they do. I like to do a ride along with Bob driving to get a feel for the lines and braking points.

I know earlier posts make it sound like I wanted to hijack the thread a little, sorry. for that. I was just stoked my ragged old PS2 decided it could run GT4. Applying the things I have learned from 5 and 6 has given it a new feel for me.

Back