You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!

• Thread starter Rue
  • 6,192 comments
Holy moly, I want one:

upload_2015-11-20_14-25-31.png

Info on the insanity.

Well, that's definitely an infamous cougar, to say the very least... It's mean, lean and vicious with the added bonus of NASCAR experience. And it's one of a kind, so even that adds to its charisma.

Just how much horsepower is that Ford V8 packing?

To continue the theme, the Toyota Echo: basically a Mk1 Yaris coupe.
image.jpeg

That's... my word, it looks like the b:censored:d son of a Matra Ranchero and a Nissan Cube. And yet, I can't really bring myself to fully hate it, dunno why. I can say that its name is truly Arabic in character, that's a given.

Almost certainly known to others but it's news to me.

"Jerrari" Jeep Wagoneer + Ferrari 365 GT

jerrari_1.jpg

Jerrari02.JPG
Yep, with the Ferrari 'box and the Jeep transfer case and axles. It overheated during less-than-rigorous off-road excursions and at highway speeds though.

^ Funny both the X-Trail & the Rasheen are made by the same manufacturer. But the Rasheen was introduced years before the X-Trail.

-> And that Echo coupe? The Platz (its name in JDM-land), never came with a coupe. So the Echo coupe is a North American exclusive! ;)

1920 Slaby-Behringer (S.B.) electric cyclecar. Very interesting car. Built by S.B Automobilgesellschaft mbH in Berlin and designed by Dr. Slaby. It didn't have a chassis, instead just having a wooden body. It is a single seater car though a special trailer was made turning it into a 6 wheeled two-seater. Another option was a D.K.W. Motorcycle engine instead of an electric motor. It was also sold in England at Gamage stores for £150 in 1920.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Broadspeed GT

Broadspeed, of 1960s and 1970s BTCC fame, sold a car under their own name. It wasn't a totally new car though; it is an elongated Mini with their own 2+2 fibreglass bodywork.

28 models were built between 1966 and 1968 although many replicas are known to exist. I'm even unsure whether the blue one below is a replica or not.

broadspeed_gt_by_smevcars.jpg

1965BroadspeedGT.jpg

broadspeed_gt_01.jpg

Broadspeed+GT+in+New-Zealand.png

Gonna tag @Legro for the above post.
La Traction Aérienne. Built in 1921-c.1926 in Neuilly, Seine. I don't need to point out it's interesting feature. The 1.5 Liter flat-twin engine powering the fan was "noisy and slow" But it was light, good brakes, and handled bumps well.
View attachment 485213

It would have also stopped jaywalking.

Well, for this car, I'll be using a pair of picture from a magazine which I bought very recently. And when I say "very recently", I mean it; it was bought earlier today;

SAM_1159.JPG

SAM_1160.JPG

The Roadster Burton. Looks nifty, doesn't it? Well, what if I told you that it is based off a certain Citroen car? You know, the one which could carry eggs without breaking them and allowed people with hats the right headroom while driving?

Yes, the Roadster Burton has an additional name in its middle; 2CV, as in the Citroen 2CV. You see, since 2000, Burton creates this little thing for you, and all you need to do in exchange is provide Burton with a donor 2CV chassis and drivetrain (as long as it is either French or Dutch, that is) and they will do the rest. A polyester body, a detachable Moto-Lite steering wheel and the possibility of having three different roof setups (full convertible, full coupe or roof without the cloth on the sides, as well as an optional hard-top setup); all of this coupled with a rather elegant design based off legendary sports cars of the '50's such as the Jaguar XK120.
Does it go like stink? I'm afraid not; the engine and transmission are the ones which you provided in the first place, meaning that at best, this car will pack 29 hp (which is the horsepower rating of this example, since it uses a 2CV6 Spécial drivetrain) and hits a top speed of 130 km/h. It hardly puts the "hot" in "hot rod", but I have to say, I like this car; it's like the world's most honest and down-to-earth Jaguar XK120-esque kit car, which can pull an average fuel consumption rating of 59 MPG.

And of course, such a wacky idea could only come from a wacky place; the Burton company comes from the Netherlands, meaning that the Roadster is a Dutch special based on a French car. Prices vary from 15.000 to 25.000 euros, which isn't half bad for something that looks so elegant...

Last edited:
Broadspeed GT

Broadspeed, of 1960s and 1970s BTCC fame, sold a car under their own name. It wasn't a totally new car though; it is an elongated Mini with their own 2+2 fibreglass bodywork.

28 models were built between 1966 and 1968 although many replicas are known to exist. I'm even unsure whether the blue one below is a replica or not.

1965BroadspeedGT.jpg

broadspeed_gt_01.jpg

Looks like a miniature Aston Martin DB5

I sort of knew of this car's existence already, I just didn't know the name of it until now. The Volkswagen Brasilia.
vw-brasilia-1973.jpg
Then the SP2 ought to throw you for a loop.

Volkswagen-SP2-1-1024x682.jpg

Edit:
Broadspeed GT

1965BroadspeedGT.jpg

broadspeed_gt_01.jpg

I didn't want to reply until I was done racking my brain trying to remember what it was called. I have; this reminds me of the Buckle Monaco--a coupe variant out of New South Wales with no ledge behind the rear glass and a laid-back windshield .

buckle_monaco.jpg
799fbe15867993181da7661c4f5e43f3.jpg

Last edited:
Back